• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 9/13/21 – 9/19/21

Didn't realize the gap between Xbox and PS was that big in Japan. Wild.

Xbox in Japan be like:

I Want More GIF

Woopah

Nintendo Portables do great. And now they are doing even better because its console quality in a hybrid.

Plus they are releasing great niche smaller titles, and alot of JRPG’s. They don’t normally release that many JRPG’s on there consoles since the Snes. They do on portables though.
Switch Lite numbres are low but thats because most people have the OG Switch and why wouldnt you? I normally buy Nintendo portables but I didnt need to as I have the hyrbid.

People like to act that Japan loves Nintendo but the numbers talk. Where has the love been for the last 2 and a half decades lol? Outside of the Switch, why can’t they show how Japan loves Nintendo consoles?

Japan didnt have much love for Nintendo games during the Wii U, Gamecube, N64 consoles, etc. If they did love Nintendo games why were the console and software sales so below the competition?
The N64 had less sales then the Sega Saturn. The Gamecube sold horribly as did the Wii U. ( I love all 3 consoles btw )
Even the software for Wii wasn‘t like the handhelds or Switch Software sales. While the handhelds have always sold well.

A PSP3 would only do well if they port the PS4/PS5 library and carry on releasing games like the next Dragon Quest, Persona, Final Fantasy. But they would also need those smaller and niche titles like the original PSP and Nintendo handhelds. Otherwise it won’t sell well. The PSP sold great, more than the current 3DS and on Par with the GBA so no reason it won’t sell well again.

They just need to have the smaller nicher portable like games that Japan loves, plus the console library
The numbers do speak for themselves and Nintendo's first party software has been selling very well for the last 2 decades, including on the Wii. It's not always been the case that Nintendo was able to carry a platform on the strength of its IP alone, but the IP has always been strong.
Thanks.

It just surprises me that Sony isn’t looking to target that handheld market too. They certainly still have many game Ips on side; Atlus, Capcom et al - all could produce killer titles for the Japanese handheld market.

It simply surprises me how Western focussed Sony seems to be these days. Not that it isn’t working; obviously selling gang busters in the US and Europe.
It's because of the opportunity cost. Which teams are Sony going to take off PS5 to develop portable games? Why split their focus when focusing on one platform has shown to be very beneficial?

Sony's investments are far far better spent in securing Japanese software than they are on launching a portable.

Kerotan

Sony would be the one to say.

First of all, if demand was so high in Japan as you imply it to be, then scalpers would be reselling them in Japan, and people would be buying them.That's just a principle of the market.

Secondly, if Sony did indeed believe there was a bigger demand there( A bigger demand than the PS4 or the PS3 did, for example), Sony wouldn't be ignoring Japan as they have been since launch.They are the ones that have most access to the data, and understand better than anyone their situation there. And this data that we just got confirms that the PS5 will (likely, but not certainly) be down compared to PS4.

It's not me saying that, its the data that is. Not that Sony cares that much, they are more than compensating elsewhere in the rest of the world, but it can't be denied that their situation in Japan its at its lowest.
They are shipping more ps5 to Japan then they did the ps4. So from their point of view they care just fine. It's not their fault there's a worldwide frenzy.

Obviously scalpers will sell some of them to Japan to the minority willing to pay huge prices but there is a much bigger market outside Japan especially in countries Where's it's not officially on sale so most will go there.

Their only crime is building the greatest console of all time.

Kerotan

The numbers do speak for themselves and Nintendo's first party software has been selling very well for the last 2 decades, including on the Wii. It's not always been the case that Nintendo was able to carry a platform on the strength of its IP alone, but the IP has always been strong.

It's because of the opportunity cost. Which teams are Sony going to take off PS5 to develop portable games? Why split their focus when focusing on one platform has shown to be very beneficial?

Sony's investments are far far better spent in securing Japanese software than they are on launching a portable.
People wanting Sony to make another handheld are living in an alternate reality. Both Sony and Nintendo drop the 2 platform approach in favour of one and both go on to make the most profits they ever did. Why would they go back?

Woopah

People wanting Sony to make another handheld are living in an alternate reality. Both Sony and Nintendo drop the 2 platform approach in favour of one and both go on to make the most profits they ever did. Why would they go back?
Agreed. It's just not wise in current industry. The time it takes to make each game is too long.

Kerotan

Most likely people are just buying games digitally or are using Game Pass.
It is not easy to purchase games Xbox games physically in Japan. I rarely see them now. They were a bit more prevalent at the start of the X1 generation in some stores, but they soon disappeared for the most part, at least in my area.
You have much better luck trying to get a physical Xbox game via Amazon JP.

Since I bought my Xbox Series X (on launch day from the Microsoft JP Store), I haven't bought any games physically for it. I have Game Pass Ultimate and the games I have bought have all been digital.
Physical games for the other systems are much easier to find compared to Xbox. I buy physical and digital games for my Switch as they are much more widely available. For Xbox in Japan? Not so much.
Same here. The only disc I bought was modern warfare second hand and technically that is a ps4 game. So according to retail charts I've bought nothing. Yet I've played a shit load of games on my ps5. Lots of ps4 titles and a few ps5.

Nautilus

Banned
They are shipping more ps5 to Japan then they did the ps4. So from their point of view they care just fine. It's not their fault there's a worldwide frenzy.

Obviously scalpers will sell some of them to Japan to the minority willing to pay huge prices but there is a much bigger market outside Japan especially in countries Where's it's not officially on sale so most will go there.

Their only crime is building the greatest console of all time.
If doing as well or just slightly better than the PS4 is the golden standard for Sony, is just proves my point even further that Sony doesn't care for the most part about Japan.

And Sony does care if the consoles stay there.If not, they wouldn't ship consoles there, they would ship to where they are actually selling.But more than that, Sony makes money on software and subscriptions, if there are no hardwares for them to make money off these things, then they do care.No wonder they basically closed down their japanese studios.

Their only crime is to make a console and first party games that doesn't appeal to Japan.

Kerotan

If doing as well or just slightly better than the PS4 is the golden standard for Sony, is just proves my point even further that Sony doesn't care for the most part about Japan.

And Sony does care if the consoles stay there.If not, they wouldn't ship consoles there, they would ship to where they are actually selling.But more than that, Sony makes money on software and subscriptions, if there are no hardwares for them to make money off these things, then they do care.No wonder they basically closed down their japanese studios.

Their only crime is to make a console and first party games that doesn't appeal to Japan.
I mean the ps4 almost sold 10M. That made them quite the profit so they definitely care.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean the ps4 almost sold 10M. That made them quite the profit so they definitely care.
Compared to what previous consoles used to do, to what they are doing on the rest of the world, and how the competition is too fierce for them in Japan, they don't care that much.

Not to say that Japan is irrelevant even if the PS5 *seems* to be fated to sell worse than the PS4, but Sony clearly stopped trying.

Kokoloko85

Software sales are good but Nothing like there Handhelds or Switch software or hardware sales.

Japan Sales:

N64 they sold 5.54 million
Playstations 19.3
Sega Saturns 5.8 million

GameCube 4.04 million
PS2: 23.18 million
Dreamcast: 2.32 million

Wii U: 3,303,541 units

Wii: 12.75 million ( Nintendo’s best selling console )
PS3: 10,432,570 Million ( Sony worst selling console )

Whereas Handhelds sell well

Gameboy: 32,470,000
GBA: 32,990,000
DS: 33.01 million units
PSP: 19,632,197
3DS: 25,260,000

The combined sale of Nintendo Consoles (N64, Gamecube, Wii, & Wii U ) is less than Nintendo’s worst selling Handheld, the 3DS

Japan loves there Nintendo handheld’s, not so much there Nintendo Consoles.
This is why the Switch is doing so well in Japan

smbu2000

Software sales are good but Nothing like there Handhelds or Switch software or hardware sales.

Japan Sales:

Playstations 19.3
Sega Saturns 5.8 million

GameCube 4.04 million

The combined sale of Nintendo Consoles (N64, Gamecube, Wii, & Wii U ) is less than Nintendo’s worst selling Handheld, the 3DS

Interesting although you did leave out Nintendo's successful consoles in Japan.
Famicom (NES): over 19 million
Super Famicom (SNES): over 17 million

Nintendo did awful on consoles after the SNES, but their portables kept them doing well.

You also left out Sony's last handheld, the Vita: less than 6 million

Being portable doesn't necessarily guarantee success.

Kokoloko85

Nintendo did awful on consoles after the SNES, but their portables kept them doing well.

I left out Nes and Snes because its only competitor was Sega really. No Playstation and it was like 30 years ago lol.
Basically since the Snes, Nintendo consoles havent done great.

Vita‘s like the only handheld that didnt do well, so 9/10 times portable helps like the numbers show

Kerotan

Compared to what previous consoles used to do, to what they are doing on the rest of the world, and how the competition is too fierce for them in Japan, they don't care that much.

Not to say that Japan is irrelevant even if the PS5 *seems* to be fated to sell worse than the PS4, but Sony clearly stopped trying.
By previous you mean the Ps1 and 2?different era and the most recent of them launched in 1999. Since then they've had the PS3 and 4 that did around 10M each and the ps5 is tracking similar. It's the new norm for them.

Nautilus

Banned
By previous you mean the Ps1 and 2?different era and the most recent of them launched in 1999. Since then they've had the PS3 and 4 that did around 10M each and the ps5 is tracking similar. It's the new norm for them.
Say to a business man that their sales are flaundering on a region they used to be competitive by saying "different times" and see what kind of answer you get out of him.

Anyway, your analysis is also not correct. Everything seems to point towards to the fact that the PS4 will sell less than the PS3, even if by just 500k, continuing the trend of Sony losing space in Japan.

But more than that, the data that was just presented reveals that the current pace of sales from the PS5 seems to be artifial. Alot of its sales seems to be in result of the high demand the PS5 has elsewhere outside the country.Once that demand is met due to increase production of PS5 by Sony, the sales in Japan may slow down, because scalpers will stop buying the hardware, as supply from the official manufacturer will meet demand.

In conclusion, all seems to point for now that the PS5 will sell less than the PS4 in Japan.

But like I said before, time will tell.

I don't disagree that Japan loves handhelds, although I think some of the difference is the number of upgrades and colours available. It's not quite the difference in username that it appears. I bought six of the various incarnations of DS and three of the different 3DS models, but only one Wii and one Wii U.

I wonder where all these Japanese gamers are playing their Switches. I hardly ever see them on public transport. Fifteen years ago every kid on the train had their nose in a DS. Now they're all on their phones.

Nintendo also has a lack of RPG’s on their consoles after the SNES, which I think shows in their console hardware sales.

In comparison, Nintendo handhelds always had plenty of RPG’s, which helped maintiain their popularity.

Nintendo consoles still did decently, mostly on the back of Nintendo IP, though the majority in Japan preferred the Handhelds. Now with Switch, you essentially have the best of both. Console quality, Nintendo IP, RPG’s, etc... having all Nintendo titles on a single console is why I knew it wouldn’t be a Wii U sized failure, though admittedly I didn’t expect it to succeed on this level.

Kerotan

Say to a business man that their sales are flaundering on a region they used to be competitive by saying "different times" and see what kind of answer you get out of him.

Anyway, your analysis is also not correct. Everything seems to point towards to the fact that the PS4 will sell less than the PS3, even if by just 500k, continuing the trend of Sony losing space in Japan.

But more than that, the data that was just presented reveals that the current pace of sales from the PS5 seems to be artifial. Alot of its sales seems to be in result of the high demand the PS5 has elsewhere outside the country.Once that demand is met due to increase production of PS5 by Sony, the sales in Japan may slow down, because scalpers will stop buying the hardware, as supply from the official manufacturer will meet demand.

In conclusion, all seems to point for now that the PS5 will sell less than the PS4 in Japan.

But like I said before, time will tell.
But here's the catch. If sony wanted ps4 would have sold more. They never went aggressive with price cuts despite a huge HW profit margin and they stopped producing enough to meet demand. It was way understocked last year as Sony prioritised ps5 production instead.

And your other point as a business ps4 was infinitely more profitable then PS3 and probably more profitable then the Ps1 or 2. So why would they consider that flaundering. It was printing money like never before. Sony don't share your concerns.

Woopah

Japan Sales:

Playstations 19.3
Sega Saturns 5.8 million

GameCube 4.04 million

I think they key thing missing from this analysis is that Nintendo handhelds had better line ups then their consoles. When Nintendo consoles had good third party support they sold well, and when they had bad third party support they didn't sell well.

The hybrid nature of the Switch definitely helps, but by far the most important thing is software. The reason Switch will do s well is its lineup.

Nome of this disproves that Japan likes Nintendo games, since even on Wii and Wii U first party software sales are very very strong.

Last edited:

smbu2000

Same here. The only disc I bought was modern warfare second hand and technically that is a ps4 game. So according to retail charts I've bought nothing. Yet I've played a shit load of games on my ps5. Lots of ps4 titles and a few ps5.
So we are in the same boat in terms of purchasing being reflected in the charts. Still it is much easier to find a physical retail ps5 game compared to a physical Xbox game in Japan. If I had the opportunity to buy more physical xbox games, then I most likely would.
I think the last physical Xbox game I bought was probably FF15 and that was just because I wanted the steelbook with Amano artwork.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Great graphs!👌

This shows that Switch is slowly losing ground. Can I say finally? I’m not a fan of Switch, I’ve wanted a new Nintendo console for years.
Cool to see Xbox gaining some ground as well.
That's because the Oled model is launching in the next couple weeks.

They will regain any lost ground after that.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Thanks.

It just surprises me that Sony isn’t looking to target that handheld market too. They certainly still have many game Ips on side; Atlus, Capcom et al - all could produce killer titles for the Japanese handheld market.

It simply surprises me how Western focussed Sony seems to be these days. Not that it isn’t working; obviously selling gang busters in the US and Europe.

Exactly, how much longer can Sony and MS ignore the handheld market? The writing is on the wall at this point. It can even be a hyrbid like the switch. (the Series S should have been a 1.5fl portable)

Nautilus

Banned
But here's the catch. If sony wanted ps4 would have sold more. They never went aggressive with price cuts despite a huge HW profit margin and they stopped producing enough to meet demand. It was way understocked last year as Sony prioritised ps5 production instead.

And your other point as a business ps4 was infinitely more profitable then PS3 and probably more profitable then the Ps1 or 2. So why would they consider that flaundering. It was printing money like never before. Sony don't share your concerns.
But here's the catch. Sony knew that they couldn't sell that much more PS4 units, so they cut their losses and fucosed on their new thing, the PS5.

And the PS4 being more profitable than the PS2 or the PS1 in Japan was a good laugh. Thanks!

I mean, I am clearly ignorant and Sony is clearly really satisfied with every PS5 owner buying half of a game for their PS5. Must be a grand new strategy for them, to reconquer Japan.

Kerotan

But here's the catch. Sony knew that they couldn't sell that much more PS4 units, so they cut their losses and fucosed on their new thing, the PS5.

And the PS4 being more profitable than the PS2 or the PS1 in Japan was a good laugh. Thanks!

I mean, I am clearly ignorant and Sony is clearly really satisfied with every PS5 owner buying half of a game for their PS5. Must be a grand new strategy for them, to reconquer Japan.
How can you cut your losses if you're making record profits? Unlike the Ps1 and 2 the ps4 was selling with a bigger profit margin, it had digital sales and it had MTX and PS plus money coming in. There's a reason it's profits dwarfed the ps2 despite selling less.

Kerotan

I think they key thing missing from this analysis is that Nintendo handhelds had better line ups then their consoles. When Nintendo consoles had good third party support they sold well, and when they had bad third party support they didn't sell well.

The hybrid nature of the Switch definitely helps, but by far the most important thing is software. The reason Switch will do s well is its lineup.

Nome of this disproves that Japan likes Nintendo games, since even on Wii and Wii U first party software sales are very very strong.
The wii u had a very similar line up to the switch. Some games that were on the wii u and ported to Switch sold gang busters. The main selling point of the switch was portability.

Kerotan

Xbox is actually doing very well by it's standards but it's hard to judge either console as they're super supply constrained. If Sony shipped 100k ps5 next week they'd sell them all and if MS shipped 10k xbox they'd probably sell too. Japan is basically both consoles outlet not only for Japan but Eastern Asia as a whole.

Nautilus

Banned
How can you cut your losses if you're making record profits? Unlike the Ps1 and 2 the ps4 was selling with a bigger profit margin, it had digital sales and it had MTX and PS plus money coming in. There's a reason it's profits dwarfed the ps2 despite selling less.
In Japan?Because that's the discussion we are having.

Do you have sources for that?

Marty-McFly

Banned
The wii u had a very similar line up to the switch. Some games that were on the wii u and ported to Switch sold gang busters. The main selling point of the switch was portability.
The biggest factor in sales (especially early sales that launch a plaform to either success or failure) that goes ignored on forums is marketing.

The Switch was marketing genius, from the name, to the concept, the click noise, to the look of the device ect.

The Wii U in comparison was a giant clusterfuck. Most people never even knew it existed.

Kerotan

In Japan?Because that's the discussion we are having.

Do you have sources for that?
In Japan like everywhere else the PS3 would have been losing money. The ps4 would have been making a shit ton. Hardware sold for a big profit, digital software sales cut, ps plus subs. It's a no brainer the ps4 was rolling in the dollars. The only country that sold more PlayStations last gen was the USA.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo Switch 2022 first party line-up is going to be bigger than 2021 with multiple mullion sellers are going to be released.

Splatoon 3 = 3-4M
Pokemon Legends Arceus = 3-4M
Kirby the forgotten land = 1M
BOTW 2 = 1-2M

Bodomism

Banned
Famitsu Top 50 Third Party 2021:
  1. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 2.323.833
  2. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 1.141.555
  3. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft) - 474.962
  4. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 281.140
  5. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2 (Capcom) - 227.554
  6. [PS4] Resident Evil Village (Capcom) - 191.983
  7. [NSW] Baseball Spirits 2021 (Konami) - 191.483
  8. [PS4] Tales of Arise (Bandai Namco) - 184.444
  9. [NSW] Crayon Shin-Chan (Neos) - 183.733
  10. [PS4] NieR Replicant (Square Enix) - 158.265
  11. [NSW] Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 136.091
  12. [NSW] Rune Factory 5 (Marvelous) - 127.968
  13. [NSW] Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel (Konami) - 127.221
  14. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 111.171
  15. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 105.542
  16. [NSW] Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 85.310
  17. [NSW] Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 72.796
  18. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 72.727
  19. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 70.964
  20. [NSW] Fishing S-pirits (Bandai Namco) - 68.180
  21. [PS5] Resident Evil Village (Capcom) - 67.000
  22. [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 65.620
  23. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 62.119
  24. [NSW] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 61.350
  25. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons (Microsoft) - 59.256
  26. [PS5] Tales of Arise (Bandai Namco) - 56.913
  27. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega) - 40.688
  28. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega) - 36.105
  29. [NSW] Family Trainer (Bandai Namco) - 35.273
  30. [PS4] Scarlet Nexus(Bandai Namco) - 31.665
  31. [PS4] Biomutant (THQ Nordic) - 30.292
  32. [NSW] Densha de Go!! (Square Enix) - 29.624
  33. [NSW] Apex Legends: Champion Edition (Electronic Arts) - 29.057
  34. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 27.539
  35. [NSW] Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny (Nippon Ichi) - 25.744
  36. [NSW] Jack Jeanne (Broccoli) - 25.518
  37. [PS4] Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 24.968
  38. [PS4] Judgment [New Price Edition] (Sega) - 24.271
  39. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (Square Enix) - 23.491
  40. [NSW] Neo: The World Ends with You (Square Enix) - 22.028
  41. [NSW] The Quintessential Quintuplets Double Integral (Mages.) - 20.374
  42. [NSW] A-Train: All Aboard! Tourism (Artdink) - 20.043
  43. [PS4] Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars (Compile Heart) – 18.789 NEW
  44. [PS4] Disgaea 6 (Nippon Ichi) - 18.289
  45. [NSW] The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Capcom) – 18.197
  46. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 16.352
  47. [PS4] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 16.235
  48. [NSW] BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! (Broccoli) – 15.398 NEW
  49. [NSW] Angelique Luminarise (Koei Tecmo) - 14.506
  50. [PS4] Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection (Koei Tecmo) - 14.483
TOTAL: 7.271.757
TOTAL NSW: 6.340.379 (87.2%)
TOTAL PS4: 783.974 (10.8%)
TOTAL PS5: 147.404 (2%)

Top 10 Third Party Publishers

1. Capcom - 2.828.567 (38.9%)
  2. Konami - 1.487.798 (20.5%)
  3. Bandai Namco - 545.203 (7.5%)
  4. Microsoft - 534.218 (7.3%)
  5. Square Enix - 491.393 (6.8%)
  6. Marvelous - 490.963 (6.7%)
  7. Other - 273.416 (3.8%)
  8. Koei Tecmo - 225.185 (3%)
  9. Neos - 183.733 (2.5%)
  10. Imagineer - 111.171 (1.5%)
  11. Sega - 101.064 (1.4%)
Bandai has moved into 3rd Place after the launch of Tales of Arise, overtaking Marvelous, Square Enix & Microsoft in the process.

Line-up for Rest of Year by Publisher:

Capcom - nothing until the end of the year
Konami - Castlevania Advance Collection(multiplat digital only), Power Pro Pocket R(Switch Exclusive), Girls Side 4th Heart(Switch Exclusive), eFootball(F2P PS Exclusive)
Bandai Namco - Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot(late port on Switch), Super Robot Wars 30(multiplat), Disney Magical World 2(Switch Exclusive), The IdolM@aster(PS Exclusive)
Square Enix - Voice of Cards(Switch Exclusive?), Guardians of the Galaxy(PS Exclusive / Switch gets a Cloud version)
Marvelous - nothing until end of the year
Koei Tecmo - Fatal Frame(multiplat), Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires(multiplat), Blue Reflection: Second Light(mutliplat)
Sega - Lost Judgement(PS Exclusive)
Atlus - SMT V(Switch Exclusive)
Level 5 - Megaton Musashi(multiplat)
Falcom - The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki(PS4 Exclusive)
Spike Chunsoft - Danganronpa Trilogy Pack(late ports)
FuRyu - Monark(multiplat)
Tango - Ghostwire: Tokyo(PS Exclusive)

Not sure if I missed anything but in my opinion SMT V & Power Pro Pocket R are the games that will sell the most, followed by Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires, Super Robot Wars 30, Lost Judgement, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, Megaton Musashi.
Overall third parties sells will reach 9 to 10 million within the Top 50 this year, with Switch having 90% of sales due to Rise, Momotaro & Minecraft moving a ton of units at the very top.
It's nice to see the companies that supported the leading platform of Japanese gamers have been rewarded handsomely.

Fredrik

Xbox is actually doing very well by it's standards but it's hard to judge either console as they're super supply constrained. If Sony shipped 100k ps5 next week they'd sell them all and if MS shipped 10k xbox they'd probably sell too. Japan is basically both consoles outlet not only for Japan but Eastern Asia as a whole.
Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re still just looking at supply numbers, essentially factory output, in all markets.

There are still zero XSX and PS5 in the big stores up here in Sweden after nearly a year since launch, it’s nuts.
Xbox Series S isn’t selling as it should though, says 500+ in stock on some big shops here… and it’s cheaper than a Switch, and nearly a third of the price of a PS5…

The only way Sony makes a portable is if it's a portable PS4. Valve has shown that may not be as difficult as we thought, though.

reksveks

The only way Sony makes a portable is if it's a portable PS4. Valve has shown that may not be as difficult as we thought, though.
Would mean weird things for game development, either 'cross-gen/platform' game design or just another whole new platform to support. I am okay with the former.

Nautilus

Banned
In Japan like everywhere else the PS3 would have been losing money. The ps4 would have been making a shit ton. Hardware sold for a big profit, digital software sales cut, ps plus subs. It's a no brainer the ps4 was rolling in the dollars. The only country that sold more PlayStations last gen was the USA.
I ask you again, do you have a source for this?

Because otherwise you are just pulling this out of your ass and putting words into Sony's mouth that they never spoke.

Woopah

Portablility means nothing without games. We saw this with Vita, we saw it with the 3DS in the West.

This argument comes up a lot but saying the main selling point of the Switch is portability is like saying the main selling point of the PS5 is that its powerful.

Bodomism

Banned
I wonder when we're going to get the next milestone sales of Momotaro Dentetsu. Sold-through number was at 3M copies in June and ~150K copies was sold after that.

Kerotan

Portablility means nothing without games. We saw this with Vita, we saw it with the 3DS in the West.

This argument comes up a lot but saying the main selling point of the Switch is portability is like saying the main selling point of the PS5 is that its powerful.
The point is the same games on the wii u sold gang busters on the switch and drove way more sales. If the switch wasn't portable it wouldn't be a mega success.

Kerotan

But why when they can just stream their games to any portable device out there. Unless you're Nintendo a portable console doesn't make sense.

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re still just looking at supply numbers, essentially factory output, in all markets.

There are still zero XSX and PS5 in the big stores up here in Sweden after nearly a year since launch, it’s nuts.
Xbox Series S isn’t selling as it should though, says 500+ in stock on some big shops here… and it’s cheaper than a Switch, and nearly a third of the price of a PS

All over Europe there are no ps5 to be found. In fairness WW I don't think they're sitting on any shelves except the day they get a restock. We're coming into Christmas season so demand will go even crazier. There is no end to it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
All over Europe there are no ps5 to be found. In fairness WW I don't think they're sitting on any shelves except the day they get a restock. We're coming into Christmas season so demand will go even crazier. There is no end to it.
The thing I find interesting about the PS5 is that there is no protruding software.

People are just buying the console for the hell of it.

Fredrik

The thing I find interesting about the PS5 is that there is no protruding software.

Compared to what? It’s a small platform compared to PS4 and Switch so game sales are expected to be low. But I haven’t bought a game for PS5 in 3-4 months, still don’t regret buying it, it’s nice to know you have the console once the big games arrive. I’m mostly playing Gamepass games on Xbox and PC, which don’t show in sales threads either. I’m thinking about buying Kena on PS5 though but it sounds like it needs patches so I’m waiting for that.

Kerotan

It has a better early line up then the ps4 or PS3 did and unlike the ps4 it's backwards compatible with the previous gen where a lot of games actually run better.

Killer8

It might look bad compared to PS5, but Xbox is doing extremely well in Japan compared to last gen. Literally 5x better. Phil Spencer was not lying when he said Japan was the fastest growing Xbox market.

Xbox One S+X's last reported total was 114,802 units over 6 years. Xbox Series S+X in comparison has sold 92,366 units as of this week, and has only been on sale for 10 months. To put in perspective it has sold faster in 50 weeks than the Xbox One did in 50 months.

Top Bottom