• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 10/11 - 10/17

AlexxKidd

Famitsu Sales: Week 42, 2021 (Oct 11 - Oct 17)

01./00. [PS4] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles # <FTG> (Aniplex) {2021.10.14} (¥7.600) - 94.849 / NEW
02./01. [NSW] Metroid Dread # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2021.10.08} (¥6.980) - 22.221 / 109.019 (-74%)
03./00. [PS5] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles <FTG> (Aniplex) {2021.10.14} (¥7.600) - 20.187 / NEW
04./00. [PS4] The Idolm@ster: Starlit Season # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2021.10.14} (¥8.200) - 15.597 / NEW
05./00. [PS4] Back 4 Blood # <ACT> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2021.10.12} (¥7.800) - 13.112 / NEW
06./00. [NSW] Monark # <RPG> (FuRyu) {2021.10.14} (¥7.700) - 10.521 / NEW
07./02. [PS4] Far Cry 6 # <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2021.10.07} (¥8.400) - 9.917 / 44.136 (-71%)
08./07. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 9.648 / 2.234.813 (-10%)
09./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 9.615 / 4.095.124 (-22%)
10./05. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 9.402 / 4.460.356 (-21%)

Top 10

NSW - 5
PS4 - 4
PS5 - 1

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. Switch – 72.944 (21.498.283)
  2. PlayStation 5 – 18.709 (1.119.612)
  3. Xbox Series – 4.187 (106.778)
  4. PlayStation 4 – 613 (9.389.803)
  5. 3DS – 373 (24.583.475)
Source: Gematsu

Last edited:
Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. Switch OLED Model – 32,494 (170,903)
  2. Switch – 30,869 (17,229,015)
  3. PlayStation 5 – 16,580 (939,509)
  4. Switch Lite – 9,581 (4,098,365)
  5. Xbox Series S – 3,553 (41,860)
  6. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,129 (180,103)
  7. Xbox Series X – 634 (64,918)
  8. PlayStation 4 – 613 (7,814,080)
  9. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 373 (1,175,323)

Bullet Club

Where is hw?
  1. Switch OLED Model – 32,494 (170,903)
  2. Switch – 30,869 (17,229,015)
  3. PlayStation 5 – 16,580 (939,509)
  4. Switch Lite – 9,581 (4,098,365)
  5. Xbox Series S – 3,553 (41,860)
  6. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,129 (180,103)
  7. Xbox Series X – 634 (64,918)
  8. PlayStation 4 – 613 (7,814,080)
  9. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 373 (1,175,323)

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

The little machine that could.

I 'know' the x is supplied constrained but you could spin that narrative very easily that the s is the better machine for japan

Sorry about that, it should have said "Xbox Series" as it is the number for both versions combined. I've updated it. That said, the Series S is vastly outselling the Series X.

Edit: Oh my bad, I thought you were quoting my number. Didn't realize someone else posted hardware.

Last edited:

Elios83

Switch OLED sales are nothing special while normal Switch sales have declined, overall total sales are pretty much the same as before.
Just early signs from the market but it doesn't seem like Switch Oled is what Nintendo needs to slow down the normal sales decine of an old platform.

yazenov

Switch OLED sales are nothing special while normal Switch sales have declined, overall total sales are pretty much the same as before.
Just early signs from the market but it doesn't seem like Switch Oled is what Nintendo needs to slow down the normal sales decine of an old platform.

They should have done a proper switch pro, rather than basically the same thing with an OLED screen. Missed opportunity.

I guess the Switch pro will probably be a the switch 2 going by Nintendo standards of outdated hardware.

Last edited:
Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

It's supply constrained.

Elios83

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

It's supply constrained.

Not a good outlook anyway in terms of sales because it's clear that they're shifting production over the new model but in doing so they are not able to keep production of the original model up to previous levels.
I mean it's probably good for them profits-wise because they have a higher margin on the new model but sales-wise if total production stays the same it's kinda pointless.
Obviously it's something that has affected everyone so far, every console is supply constrained atm in Japan.

Lognor

Banned
PS5 continuing to struggle in Japan. Only one PS5 title in the top ten and that game was outsold by the PS4 version by nearly five times. And Far Cry 6 for PS5 has already dropped out of the top ten.

Only good thing I can say is that at least PS4/5 software is actually competitive this week against the Switch. Recently it's been a Nintendo top ten.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Switch is a beast!

PS4 ending up under 8 million lifetime is guaranteed, which makes it the worst selling PlayStation. Going by history the PS5 will land around 6-7 million lifetime sales. Game sales for it still not picking up which points to it still being bought not to be played but to be resold elsewhere.

Xbox doing surprisingly well but as always still garbage tier sales.

Last edited:
Switch is a beast!

PS4 ending up under 8 million lifetime is guaranteed, which makes it the worst selling PlayStation. Going by history the PS5 will land around 6-7 million lifetime sales. Game sales for it still not picking up which points to it still being bought not to be played but to be resold elsewhere.

8m is without the PS4 Pro

b6a6es

Banned
Switch is a beast!

It’s actually currently sits at 9.5M, since your number only counts for the Base PS4, not mentioning PS4 Pro

NonPhixion

Did you forget to add in the 1.6 million PS4 pro's sold in Japan? Going by History(and it's current sales pace) the PS5 looks like it will do better than both the PS4 and PS3. Pretty neat.
  1. PlayStation 4 – (7,814,080)
  2. PlayStation 4 Pro – (1,575,676)
Add those 2 up. What does it Guarantee?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
i actually think those demon slayer numbers are not as impressive as they should be. The IP is massive as fuck in Japan.

Hard not to feel like they really left a lot of money on the table by not making a Switch version.

AlexxKidd

PS5 continuing to struggle in Japan. Only one PS5 title in the top ten and that game was outsold by the PS4 version by nearly five times. And Far Cry 6 for PS5 has already dropped out of the top ten.

This literally makes no goddamn sense. I own a PS5 but I can and do buy PS4 versions because it allows you to own both and upgrade for free. Saying it was "outsold by the PS4 version by nearly five times" doesn't mean shit when it's the same damn game either way. Try again.

Fake

PS4 and PS5 have been dominating the charts the last month or so since Tales of Arise, Judgement, and other non-Switch games have come out.

We normally get between 1 or 3 games, but is healthy seeing people getting other games.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Larger Sony presence this week, that's very encouraging.

Although, most of the games that charted were new.

Lognor

Banned
This literally makes no goddamn sense. I own a PS5 but I can and do buy PS4 versions because it allows you to own both and upgrade for free. Saying it was "outsold by the PS4 version by nearly five times" doesn't mean shit when it's the same damn game either way. Try again.
Are you assuming a large number of those PS4 copies sold were for the PS5? Seems doubtful. Why buy the PS4 version if there is a PS5 version and they cost the same?

It is only until recently that there were ANY PS games showing up in the chart, whether PS4 or PS5. So I guess this is an improvement, but it's still Nintendo land and it's not even close.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you assuming a large number of those PS4 copies sold were for the PS5? Seems doubtful. Why buy the PS4 version if there is a PS5 version and they cost the same?

It is only until recently that there were ANY PS games showing up in the chart, whether PS4 or PS5. So I guess this is an improvement, but it's still Nintendo land and it's not even close.
You have two options:

1: Buy only the PS5 version.
2: Buy the PS4 version and get the free PS5 digital version.

Which you choose? It can be weird but most get the PS4 version.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Because as I clearly just explained to you, you get both versions when you buy the PS4 version.

Are you assuming a large number of those PS4 copies were not sold for PS5? You are doing an equal amount of assuming, don't act like you have facts to back anything you say up. The point is it's the same damn game. I wipe my ass with your "PS5 version sold this/PS4 version sold that blah blah blah" efforts to try and discredit something. It's hardly slick and very see through.

What is this "Nintendo land" shit you're talking about and why do you think that has anything to do with this discussion of you pretending as if PS5 owners can't buy a PS4 version when it upgrades for free? You sounding very bootlickerish right now with that. I'm well aware of the charts.

Marty-McFly

Banned
They're holding lotteries for Switch OLED at all the Japanese supply chains. It's a megahit.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why would having the PS4 version be of any use to you when you have a PS5?

Mr Moose

Why would having the PS4 version be of any use to you when you have a PS5?
Because you get both versions if you get the PS4 one.

Demon-Slayer-Kimetsu-no-Yaiba---The-Hinokami-Chronicles----PlayStation-4

Last edited:

Hardensoul

You have two options:

1: Buy only the PS5 version.
2: Buy the PS4 version and get the free PS5 digital version.

Which you choose? It can be weird but most get the PS4 version.

Not to be dismissive of your reasoning. I just find it odd that for normal Japanese house holds they would keep both PS4/PS5 consoles hooked up. These are both big consoles which take up a lot of space and space is limited in most Japanese living spaces.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Won't surprised if it drops on chart. I would be surprised if it stays in the chart. Japan does not really like Metroid for some reason. 🤷‍♂️
It's going to fall of the charts in Japan for sure.

They don't care about westernized sci fi sidescrollers. That's the absolute worst genre to them.

It will still be the best selling Metroid there lifetime.

It's killing it in NA right now. That's where the Metroid audience is.

Elios83

They're holding lotteries for Switch OLED at all the Japanese supply chains. It's a megahit.

You mean the same lotteries they have been doing with PS5 for a whole year?
I don't know I'd be cautius, I don't remember many people especially Nintendo fans calling PS5 a mega hit just for that :messenger_winking_tongue:
We'll see the sales trend in the future weeks a d through the holiday season.

leo-j

Those xbox sales are very high. This bodes well for Microsoft, doing what? Xbox 360 numbers in Japan right now? Is ps5 impossible to find still? I know it’s tracking ahead of ps4 in Japan atm.

Top Bottom