• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu revealed top 10 best selling PS5 games in Japan as PS5 reached 1 million units sold milestone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodomism

Banned

FAtrAMFXsAEBmmp

Total - 340.021

Comparison with the last two gaming consoles released in Japan.

PS4 Top 10 after hitting 1 million units sold!
1. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 144.689
2. Yakuza Ishin! - 137.213
3. GTAV - 135.665
4. Destiny - 123.094
5. Battlefield 4 - 121.054
6. Watch dogs - 97.445
7. FIFA 14 - 87.788
8. COD Advance Warfare - 84.433
9. The evil within - 71.174
10. FF XIV - 67.822
Total - 1.070.437

NSW top 10 after hitting 1 million units sold!

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 501.614
2. Zelda BOTW - 460.480
3. 1-2 Switch - 200.807
4. ARMS - 154.845
5. Super Bomberman R - 92.112
6. Dragon Quest Heroes I & II - 48.444
7. Seiken Densetsu Collection - 41.128
8. Puyo-Puyo Tetris - 31.221
9. Ultra Street Fighter II - 23.018
10. Snipperclips - 18.226
Total - 1.571.895

Fahdis

Such a joke of a console. Even with x2 numbers generously added to consider digital presence, PS5 would still be the most pathetic console launched in Japan barring Xbox ones.

Well, as everyone has been pointing out. When the console is bigger than your own Japanese apartment, what else is anyone supposed to do?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Such a joke of a console. Even with x2 numbers generously added to consider digital presence, PS5 would still be the most pathetic console launched in Japan barring Xbox ones.
Japanese people still prefer to game on portable systems or mobile phones, PS5 is a huge console.
It will be very hard to sell PS5 softwares in Japan due to this reason.
Japan is basically Nintendo hometurf.

Whether Xbox able to penetrate the Japanese market with Gamepass together with superior cloud gaming, its another story in the future.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

I still bought more ps4 then ps5 games since I have my 5 so I would not take that serious unless Japanese people tend to buy big ass consoles and don't play with them anymore.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ha, fucking Returnal must have done at least something right to make it in the list
You say that as if theres other games to buy for the system.
It doesnt make the top 10 but when theres only a handful of games to choose of course every game makes the list.

Closer

I'm gonna be that guy and ask "Where is the digital data?"
And now I'm gonna be that other guy and answer "Whatever it is, its not gonna make 350.000 become 1.000.000".
Now I need a third guy with the data to back me up.

Last edited:

Elios83

Using just retail sales to judge the overall software sales is useless and disingenous.
And it's not just about digital sales which have become relevant for total sales even in Japan but because people don't need to buy PS5 specific SKUs of games to be playing on PS5.
Some people simply want to forget that PS5 also acts like a super improved PS4 through BC.
Key games like Yakuza Like a Dragon, Final Fantasy 7 Remake and others got free PS5 upgrades.
Do you think people rushed to buy those games again to have the PS5 cover? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not to mention that people might be totally fine in finding cheaper deals on PS4 games and play those on PS5.
So yeah these datas are simply not representative of the whole situation.

Last edited:

Closer

Using just retail sales to judge the overall software sales is useless and disingenous.
And it's not just about digital sales which have become relevant for total sales even in Japan but because people don't need to buy PS5 specific SKUs of games to be playing on PS5.
Some people simply want to forget that PS5 also acts like a super improved PS4 through BC.
Key games like Yakuza Like a Dragon, Final Fantasy 7 Remake and others got free PS5 upgrades.
Do you think people rushed to buy those games again to have the PS5 cover? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not to mention that people might be totally fine in finding cheaper deals on PS4 games and play those on PS5.
So yeah these datas are simply not representative of the whole situation.

Conclusion: The top 10 PS5 games sold should be PS4 games.

yurinka

It's pointless. We know that over 70% of their game sales are digital. And well, even more during a fucking pandemic, it's understandable to buy the game digitally instead of going to the retail store.

Elios83

Conclusion: The top 10 PS5 games sold should be PS4 games.

The conclusion is that these threads are disingenous (not surprising honestly given who's starting them).
There simply aren't enough PS5-only games with a big appeal on japanese gamers to make a serious impact on retail-only charts. We're still in a total cross-gen phase.
You don't need to buy PS5 specific software to be able to play with upgraded versions of PS4 cross gen games. Most publishers are releasing free or cheap upgrades (see Yakuza, FF7, Nioh2, Ghost of Tsushima).
If Square Enix asked people to pay 60$ to play FF7 on PS5 we'd see the game selling way more than the 30k units it did on these charts.
Would that be good for consumers? No and thankfully not all companies are asking full price to play Wii-U games like Nintendo has done for most of their games on Switch.

Last edited:

skit_data

It’s because they switched the X and O-buttons. Japanese players fail to confirm their purchase and say ”To hell with it!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom