• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Japan November sales chart(PS5 and XSX/S launch month)

Bodomism

Banned
Hardware
  • Nintendo Switch (total) 666,773 units
  • PlayStation 5 (total) 201,435 units
  • Xbox Series X/S (total) 28,000 units
Software
  • 1. Momotaro Dentetsu-Showa Heisei Reiwa is also a staple! ~ (Switch) KONAMI - 472,426 units
  • 2. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Switch) Nintendo - 315,862 units
  • 3. Hyrule Warriors Apocalypse (Switch) Koei Tecmo Games - 213,882 units
  • 4. Ring Fit Adventure (Switch) Nintendo - 162,545 units
  • 5. Animal Crossing (Switch) Nintendo - 160,960 units
momotaro-dentetsu-showa-heisei-reiwa-character-sep112019-1.jpg

Bodomism

Banned
I don't know how the PS5 is "a total success" when it can't even sell half of what PS4 sold in Japan, I know COVID played a role, but even with that I think that it cannot be called like that until the situation gets fixed for the most part
It's all depend on the momentum after holiday months.

January next year is going to be a real test for PS5 whether it's going to follow the same route as PS4 or Vita.

Shittymarimo133

Neo Member
I don't know how the PS5 is "a total success" when it can't even sell half of what PS4 sold in Japan, I know COVID played a role, but even with that I think that it cannot be called like that until the situation gets fixed for the most part
Bud the ps4 didn’t even launch yet at this time. It launched 3 months after the ps4 in japan. The demand would have gotten them at least 1.1 million units sold on launch day

Kataploom

Gold Member
Bud the ps4 didn’t even launch yet at this time. It launched 3 months after the ps4 in japan. The demand would have gotten them at least 1.1 million units sold on launch day

I don't see how this paints it better for PS5 there, it would only widen the gap between both if PS4 had launched on holidays...

Bodomism

Banned
1.1 million on a launch day? Not gonna happen 😹.

Scalpers and resellers are the one who gave the illusion of Playstation 5 is selling out really fast since the allocation of shipment size for system was to small in Japan and according to Gibson(Japanese sales insider/analyst) PS5 demand isn't even on the same level as Nintendo Switch.

Game sells console
Nothing in PS5 right now has the capability to move the hardware like these games below

1. Animal Crossing - 6 million units
2. Smash Bros Ultimate - 3.8 million units
3. Pokemon SwSh - 3.8 million units
4. Splatoon 2 - 3.6 million units.
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 3.2 million units

Even in launch aligned software sales PS5 is doing very badly with abysmal attach ratio.

3 weeks software comparison of top 5 best selling games

PS5 best selling games
1. Spiderman MM - 24K units
2. Demon's Souls Remake - 23K units
3. COD PS5 - 8K units
4. Godfall - 6K units
5. AC PS5 - 5K units

Nintendo Switch best selling games
1. Zelda BOTW - 272K units
2. 1-2 Switch - 120K units
3. Super Bomberman R - 55K units
4. DQ Heroes - 35K units
5. Puyo puyo tetris - 20K

Woopah

PS5 sales will take a massive hit from January next year and forward.

These two games are the reason.
81QixbutCXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
dj5dkmj7ssn51.jpg

1.5-2 million seller and 4-5 million seller in the same quarter during PS5 first non holiday months.
Its more lack of exclusives for PS5 that will be the issue. Those two games will sell Switches but I don't think they'll cause PS5 sales to go down.

Bodomism

Banned
Its more lack of exclusives for PS5 that will be the issue. Those two games will sell Switches but I don't think they'll cause PS5 sales to go down.
Lack of new AAA tier japanese games + 2 AAA tier games released during that time on competitor hardware = Sales will fall of the cliff.

We're talking about sub 15K for PS5 here.

yurinka

PS5 sold more than PS4 for its launch worldwide, which means PS5 had the biggest, most successful worldwide launch of any console ever in gaming history and had their units sold out worlwide in many cases in a few minutes. PS5 is the

But they released PS5 on more countries in these 2 launch days in the countries than they did for PS4, which means less units for some countries. The console market in Japan has been shrinking over years and migrated first to portables and after that to mobile. The main PS market for Sony is Europe, and the second PS market is NA. So since they were supply constraine worldwide, made sense to send more units to their main markets instead to secondary ones like Japan.

yurinka

1.1 million on a launch day? Not gonna happen 😹.
PS4 sold that in US only, PS5 outsold it and released in more countries.

Scalpers and resellers are the one who gave the illusion of Playstation 5 is selling out really fast since the allocation of shipment size for system was to small in Japan and according to Gibson(Japanese sales insider/analyst) PS5 demand isn't even on the same level as Nintendo Switch.
It's dumb to think scalpers would buy over a million consoles instead of maximum a few thousand consoles, specially when some retailers allowed to buy only 1 or 2 consoles per user.

Last edited:
Having the consoles sell out is probably better for consumers overall in the long run. Gives the companies time to actually win over some early adopters because of their product and not because of how well they advertised.

noshten

The better comparison was PS3 which was a dumpster fire in Japan it's first few years:

Hardware Sales 2006: 466.716
Software Sales 2006: 397.930

Top 5
  1. Ridge Racer 7 - 98.616
  2. Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire - 96.714
  3. Resistance: Fall of Man - 72.694
  4. Armored Core 4 - 48.521
  5. Genji: Days of the Blade - 36.534

Hardware Sales 2007: 1.206.347
Software Sales 2007: 2.667.493

Top 5
  1. Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds - 372.895
  2. Dynasty Warriors 6 - 332.168
  3. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - 306.114
  4. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 239.347
  5. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue - 158.376

I don't see any reason to expect PS5 to perform better than the PS3 did in it's first two years, I anticipate worse results - due to a much lower amount of exclusive content on the system catering towards the Japanese audience. Coupled with a gradual decline of Sony associated IPs in the past 15 years in Japan.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
PS4 sold that in US only, PS5 outsold it and released in more countries.

It's dumb to think scalpers would buy over a million consoles instead of maximum a few thousand consoles, specially when some retailers allowed to buy only 1 or 2 consoles per user.
Scalpers have probably bought 100k+ consoles, 70k on us ebay alone, and ebay is smaller than amazon, not to mention local sales, scalpers have been really aggressive this launch wave

Bodomism

Banned
Scalpers have probably bought 100k+ consoles, 70k on us ebay alone, and ebay is smaller than amazon, not to mention local sales, scalpers have been really aggressive this launch wave
It's easy how to detect whether the system was mostly sold to these scalpers or not.

For example in Japan the best selling PS game is at 24K while the system has sold around 200K, added the digital ratio with digital only console inclusion it's probably sitting around 40K at best which is still abysmal attach rate.

Completely different situations. PS4 in Japan launched months later than the PS4 did elsewhere. Sony was able to store up stock for it before it launched. PS5's launch was WW, with a few countries launching only a week apart. Just not enough stock.

In the end, I expect the PS5 to come close to the PS4's numbers, so 8M-9M. Can't really be helped. Japan just isn't into home consoles anymore. Hasn't been since the PS2.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Completely different situations. PS4 in Japan launched months later than the PS4 did elsewhere. Sony was able to store up stock for it before it launched. PS5's launch was WW, with a few countries launching only a week apart. Just not enough stock.

In the end, I expect the PS5 to come close to the PS4's numbers, so 8M-9M. Can't really be helped. Japan just isn't into home consoles anymore. Hasn't been since the PS2.
Not going to happen for PS5 to reach the PS4 numbers as the competitor this time no longer doomed console WiiU and dying 3DS but Nintendo Switch that has sold over 16 million units without a single official price cut.

Not going to happen for PS5 to reach the PS4 numbers as the competitor this time no longer doomed console WiiU and dying 3DS but Nintendo Switch that has sold over 16 million units without a single official price cut.
If this gen showed us anything, the PS and Switch don't really compete with each other. PS4 had it's best year the same year that the Switch launched. And it went on to sell 114M+ so far. It was only at 60M when the Switch launched. If any Japan gamer wants improved graphics and a more core gaming experience, there is only one console to go with. There may not be as many out there as before, they are still out there.

PS4 will probably end up 1M less than the PS3. I can see the PS5 doing around 1M less than the PS4, which would be ~8.4M.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
PS5 dont have much chance in Japan with Nintendos upcoming line up.

PS will have a few bumps when they get Resident Evil Monster Hunter and FF.

But outside of those launches Nintendo will dominate the next 2 to 3 years in Japan.

Bodomism

Banned
If this gen showed us anything, the PS and Switch don't really compete with each other. PS4 had it's best year the same year that the Switch launched. And it went on to sell 114M+ so far. It was only at 60M when the Switch launched. If any Japan gamer wants improved graphics and a more core gaming experience, there is only one console to go with. There may not be as many out there as before, they are still out there.

PS4 will probably end up 1M less than the PS3. I can see the PS5 doing around 1M less than the PS4, which would be ~8.4M.
That statement is true when Nintendo Switch is still at the early life with little 3rd party supports but in 2021 Nintendo Switch is getting a new monster hunter game, the same series that sold the most on PS4, Japanese have no other option than Nintendo Switch if they wanted to play the latest installment of Monster Hunter game.

This situation could potentially turn into nightmare if a new Dragon Quest game was announced as Nintendo Switch exclusive.

lachesis

If anything, next DQ I think will be Switch/PS4 (with minor PS5 enhancements) - along with perhaps PC/Steam like most major Japanese titles these days do. I think 3rd party PS5 exclusives would probably something of a slim picking for next 2 years. I think the transition would probably complete in mid-late 2022.

Bodomism

Banned
If anything, next DQ I think will be Switch/PS4 (with minor PS5 enhancements) - along with perhaps PC/Steam like most major Japanese titles these days do. I think 3rd party PS5 exclusives would probably something of a slim picking for next 2 years. I think the transition would probably complete in mid-late 2022.
PS4 is no longer will have enough active userbase engagement by 2022(the earliest date of DQ12) SQE would be stupid to release PS4 version after 3DS version fiasco, instead of releasing on 3DS during peak user activity they decided to develop it in the last minute after realizing HD version isn't enough to justify the cost of DQ12 development.

DQ11 on 3DS could've easily sold around 4-5 million units in Japan alone but now they needed to split into PS4/NSW/3DS/PC/XBX/PS5 in order to reach that number while flopped in the west.

If game like Momotaro is going to sell around 1.5 million units on Switch alone during Switch golden years on the market then SQE would be the most moronic company ever not to take the advantage of Nintendo Switch massive active userbase by doing nothing in those years.

Top Bottom