• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Japan 2021 HW Sale Number - Week 1-50 (missing last 2 weeks)

Famitsu HW Sale number - Japan - Week 1-50 (missing last 2 weeks)

Famitsu reported on the 2021 total sales of all the systems:
Switch - 5.3m (2020 was 5.1m)
PS5 - 942k
PS4 - 103k
Xbox Series - 95k
From 2017 to 2021, Switch has sold more and more every single year in Japan. There has been no decline ever.

More info from that twitter thread:
- In Japan, at the current pace Switch is on, Switch will pass PS2 and 3DS this year, and if Switch has a strong 2023, actually has a chance to approach the Nintendo DS/Game Boy.

Last edited:

reksveks

Sadly my dashboard from 2 week ago is still relevant but one additional graph i will add is this one.

Current gen consoles only.

jxeAJCL.png

Woopah

To give a correction, Switch will sell less in 2021 than 2020 so it is now in decline. For some reason gamesindustry.biz has done some really weird maths

The 5.3 million is between December 28, 2020 and December 19, 2021. The 5.1 million is between December 30, 2019 and December 6, 2020, so a shorter time period. When we finally get the latest numbers from Famitsu, the decline will be confirmed ( not a big one though).

Kerotan

I mean Japanese consumers.
I know but sadly they will miss out for the most part unless they'd pay scalper prices. Last year sony shipped a million but if they'd shipped 2 million they'd all have sold and japanese consumers would still miss out. The demand in the rest of Asia is just too high. After the ps4 satisfied so many gamers they're desperate to get the ps5.

Nautilus

Banned
Those PS4 and PS5 numbers are just sad.

Seems that the Switch is finally down YOY for the first time in 5 years, though in practice it is basically flat. If the Switch manages to "glide" when it really starts declining, there is a very good chance that it will be the best selling console of all time there.

Last edited:

Kerotan

You mean the Switch? Because the Switch is the most in demand console ever. Look at the numbers!
Nah it has the supply to satisfy demand. It ain't going for 1000 bucks. Poor bastards all over the world just can't get a ps5.

Lognor

Banned
Nah it has the supply to satisfy demand. It ain't going for 1000 bucks. Poor bastards all over the world just can't get a ps5.
That is a supply issue. You are confusing supply with demand. It's the least in supply console ever might be a better way to say it.
Nintendo has crushed it with supply and been able to continue to meet the insane demand...going on FIVE years now!

Kerotan

That is a supply issue. You are confusing supply with demand. It's the least in supply console ever might be a better way to say it.
Nintendo has crushed it with supply and been able to continue to meet the insane demand...going on FIVE years now!
That's because they got lucky their supply was ramped up pre covid. As we can see sony still managed decent supply but demand is out of this world.

Lognor

Banned
That's because they got lucky their supply was ramped up pre covid. As we can see sony still managed decent supply but demand is out of this world.
Lucky? Nah. They're damn smart. They got their supply chain figured out. We are two years into the pandemic. There is no way that "ramped up production pre covid" would still have an impact on current supply. Nintendo has great supply, great demand. They're killing it!

Kerotan

Lucky? Nah. They're damn smart. They got their supply chain figured out. We are two years into the pandemic. There is no way that "ramped up production pre covid" would still have an impact on current supply. Nintendo has great supply, great demand. They're killing it!
Yes lucky. If covid came 3 years into the ps5 gen sony would be damn lucky too.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:
Yes lucky. If covid came 3 years into the ps5 gen sony would be damn lucky too.

Luck has got nothing to do with Switch's success. Switch uses older chips, which is abundant, and NIntendo secured that with AMD years ago.

It's Sony that made strategic blunder. In the midst of pandemic, they went all in with PS5. They could've gone 50/50 PS4 and PS5. PS4 would not be restricted by chip shortages since it uses older AMD chips. Instead they gone full PS5. PS4 still had so much more potential left.

now they're paying the price for their dumb mistake

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Luck has got nothing to do with Switch's success. Switch uses older chips, which is abundant, and NIntendo secured that with AMD years ago.

It's Sony that made strategic blunder. In the midst of pandemic, they went all in with PS5. They could've gone 50/50 PS4 and PS5. PS4 would not be restricted by chip shortages since it uses older AMD chips. Instead they gone full PS5. PS4 still had so much more potential left.

He is saying COVID increased hardware and software sales to all… that is indeed true.

But the Switch numbers even being lower without COVID should be higher enough to be outstanding.

Last edited:
This PS5 thing is getting tragic. My cousin hit me up to tell me she got a PS5, that she knew a guy. Im guessing her friend was a manager at a best buy or something.

My other friend bought a Xbox Series X at retail, which he sold at a profit to buy a PS5.

I bet 20% of those PS5s sold in Japan arent even open yet. Just waiting to be resold.

Kerotan

Either way sony got unlucky. In an ideal world there would have been no shortage and they'd be selling a shit load more consoles. If the Switch launched when the ps5 did it wouldn't be selling nearly as many as it did.

Top Bottom