• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout Worlds announced

FUCK YES THANK YOU TODD!

In Love Hearts GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Test servers up right now? Time to watch streams of that, fuck New World

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Is MS changing this game? 1 year ago, it was full of controversial, but now they are doing free content, then this.

CitizenZ

Banned
So, basically what everyone was wanting at release(mods/ SP) but reading their points its about making the game easier? Congrats to the most over rated devs in the business you cant make a game with no level cap/ and a fcked card system any easier than this POS.

I also want to point out its my favorite FO World to explore, they always nail this aspect, but fail when it comes to an actual RPG.

Last edited:
What exactly does this mean?

Private servers with custom settings that allow you to start a new character/clone your current character into this mode. They provide plenty of examples of variables you can change. But the big reason a LOT of players have been waiting for this is because normally CAMP settings are kinda limited, the areas are not that big where you can actually build, you have to be somewhat far away from other player's camps due to Turret's and pvp griefing. This takes all that away, so you can have dedicated communities in discord or whatever that can build up settlements near each other with far less restrictions. Setting up towns, cities, fighting pits, stores, stadiums, etc. all near each other, rather than just separated CAMPs dotted across the map.

It's basically making the game to how they wanted us to play it in the beginning and how the story presents itself, IE building up communities together. Or by yourself, if you're one of the saltboys currently shitting the thread up because Fallout 76 is still multiplayer.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Had fun with it on and off since launch but recently got bored plus the duping causing the servers to shit themselves doesn’t help.

But this does garner interest again. I will have to keep an eye on this and see what kind of communities get formed.

Kagey K

Banned
I avoided F76 like the plague when it first came out due to all the negative press it got, but when I fired it up around the time Wastelanders came out and found myself pleasantly surprised.

It’s much better than it gets credit for, but I can’t get my friends to try it due to all that negative press at the beginning.

Lemme guess, exclusive to their shit ripoff fallout subscription

To set the rules on the private servers/setup your own? Looks like it. Easily paid for with Microsoft Rewards(The Greatest Thing That Ever Happened To Gaming) at about 3 minutes a day tops. Otherwise, like I said, the FO76 Discord is gonna be lit with PVE and PVP communities. You don't need the subscription to have a character in one of the private worlds and use the ruleset they have in place.

Edit: Looks like they'll also have rotating servers that anyone can play in, with rulesets made by Bethesda.

Last edited:
Feel free to define what a "Proper Fallout game" is.

Let's see, what do I love about the Fallout series:

Setting: FO76 fucking nails it hard. So many unique locations/set pieces to visit. Some only unlockable through quests. The graphics ain't great but it runs at a pretty much constant 60fps on XSX with the framerate mode enabled. The music is fantastic, both the orchestra stuff or oldies songs, all fit the setting as usual.

Story: Love the idea of being the first people out of the Vaults after the bombs dropped, seeing the wasteland and going through it alone with no NPCs besides the surviving bots. It sucks that you can't experience that anymore since various factions have moved in and NPCs are fairly frequent across the map as time has passed in the story. I'd love for more factions stories to be explored, and it looks like they're doing that with the Enclave with the Expeditions update later on.

Unique quests with more lore: There's TONS of it here. One of my favorites was the fucking DMV license shit you have to go through. Holotapes, terminals, stories from NPCs, even stories from the robots; all of these give further insight into the overall story of the Fallout universe. There's a lot more than just fetch quests, and there's some that are longer quest chains and some short ones. Hella emotional notes and stuff reading from the terminals, actually paying attention to the quests.

Choices in the story: This is the part that is somewhat lacking, but the newest free DLC update concluding the BoS storyline apparently has some decent choices to make. Major questlines have you siding with one faction or another, but you can get most items still from the faction you didn't choose to side with. A lot of the quests have choices to make about letting certain people die or whatever, but I do hope they expand what they have further.

Just because it's multiplayer doesn't mean it's not Fallout. It's got hundreds of hours of content, and it's dirt cheap pretty much everywhere. I wish more of the Fallout "purists" would give it more of an honest try. The exploration aspect is fucking amazing, and that's one of the main things that makes a Fallout game good. IMO of course.

The building aspect is just cake for me, I LOVED it in FO4 and love it even more here.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You ever go into a thread for a game you don't play/follow news for and find yourself legitimately wondering if the people who are like FUCK YEAH, IMA SELL MY BABY FOR THIS! INJECT IT STRAIGHT INTO MY CAPILLARIES are trolling or serious? Not saying anything good or bad about Fallout, the only one I played was Fallout 3 and my story ended when I killed everyone in Tenpenny Tower and leapt to my death on the roof, I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Man you smoke too much weed

Maybe but I'm not wrong. Literally nobody's saying anything in this thread except "FO76 bad, Bethesda bad, ESO bad, etc."
That might be the reason FO76 has such a good community of Fallout fans. The miserable ones all left right away because it wasn't the single player game they wanted.

It's a proper Fallout game. Literally the only major difference is multiplayer, yet you can play the entire game solo. "NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS" Bullshit, EVERYBODY was asking for a multiplayer Fallout or Elder Scrolls. Revisionist history trash, they're just mad it wasn't exactly how they wanted it. Still waiting for people to explain how FO76 isn't a proper Fallout, and what the fuck that even means.

elliot5

Maybe but I'm not wrong. Literally nobody's saying anything in this thread except "FO76 bad, Bethesda bad, ESO bad, etc."
That might be the reason FO76 has such a good community of Fallout fans. The miserable ones all left right away because it wasn't the single player game they wanted.

It's a proper Fallout game. Literally the only major difference is multiplayer, yet you can play the entire game solo. "NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS" Bullshit, EVERYBODY was asking for a multiplayer Fallout or Elder Scrolls. Revisionist history trash, they're just mad it wasn't exactly how they wanted it. Still waiting for people to explain how FO76 isn't a proper Fallout, and what the fuck that even means.
really annoying how people just shit on anything that isn't an exactly what they want. i'm not a fallout fan by any means, but I respect the game now and I'm glad bethesda has supported it and fallout fans seem to be enjoying it a lot lately. lot of people just see multiplayer or live service or anything not 3rd person adventure cinematic and dig their heels in and call it shit

Trimesh

Banned

Well, I can tell you why I didn't like it - first of all, it was infuriatingly buggy. Sure, anyone that plays Bethesda games is somewhat used to this now, especially at launch, but typically you could fix most of the problems using the console, which in not an option in FO76 - so if your game bugs out then you are screwed. Secondly, the world just felt dead - because it was, and the cynic in me suspects the "no human NPCs" was at most only partly a stylistic decision and had more to do with the difficulty of implementing instancing in a multiplayer environment.

The weapon durability stuff was implemented in a very annoying manner - effectively you ended up groveling around the world looking for literal trash so you could fix your gear rather than actually doing anything engaging. The decision to "fix" this by putting repair kits into the Atomic Shop where you could buy them with real money was adding insult to injury. Likewise with food degradation, which you could fix by getting a refrigerator from the shop. The enemy scaling was also a joke - you could be inside an area and fighting enemies of similar level when some level 100+ character turns up and suddenly all the enemies are killing you in one hit.

I'm sure a lot of this has been fixed now - but the last time I thought I would try it again (back when Wastelanders came out, IIRC) I quickly realized that I actually couldn't face any more of this game.

Well, I can tell you why I didn't like it - first of all, it was infuriatingly buggy. Sure, anyone that plays Bethesda games is somewhat used to this now, especially at launch, but typically you could fix most of the problems using the console, which in not an option in FO76 - so if your game bugs out then you are screwed. Secondly, the world just felt dead - because it was, and the cynic in me suspects the "no human NPCs" was at most only partly a stylistic decision and had more to do with the difficulty of implementing instancing in a multiplayer environment.

The weapon durability stuff was implemented in a very annoying manner - effectively you ended up groveling around the world looking for literal trash so you could fix your gear rather than actually doing anything engaging. The decision to "fix" this by putting repair kits into the Atomic Shop where you could buy them with real money was adding insult to injury. Likewise with food degradation, which you could fix by getting a refrigerator from the shop. The enemy scaling was also a joke - you could be inside an area and fighting enemies of similar level when some level 100+ character turns up and suddenly all the enemies are killing you in one hit.

I'm sure a lot of this has been fixed now - but the last time I thought I would try it again (back when Wastelanders came out, IIRC) I quickly realized that I actually couldn't face any more of this game.

That's fair. There's still bugs, but far fewer than back then. The repair kit shit is still there but the game throws them at you. Resources are free to find in the game and fix your weapons. There's recipes in game for refridgerators to extend food degredation, as well as backpack mods that do the same thing for food carried on you. The enemy scaling thing was terrible and also is fixed. It sucks that the game had a lot of problems on release, but I'm glad Bethesda has stuck with it and not just trashed the thing like Anthem.

It sucks that a lot of Fallout fans refuse to try it/retry it, but it is what it is. All I can do is cuck for Todd Howard and spread the good word!

PhoenixTank

Probably more of it given the thread title makes it look like a new Fallout game was announced. At least it did to me.
That said... IDK man the FO76 subreddit is in a never ending boom-bust cycle and it gets pretty miserable there too.
This upcoming update looks like it'll be great -> Update releases, hysteria ensues -> These old bugs are back, plus new ones... FFS -> Sad at missed potential -> Ugh this new system is a grind -> maybe they'll fix things -> This future update looks good.
And so on. Replace the "Sonic's friends appear" in The Sonic Cycle with "bugs/grind" and you're practically there.

"Only multiplayer". That is a big difference in terms of how the game plays out. Server crashes, losing connection, strange network oddities like random critters with health bars that can't actually be hurt - rubber band on the hit/damage registration too. The potential of going through a hard activity and not being able to find the correct melted corpse pile with the legendary loot on it before it despawns or you're kicked out of the area.
Trying to complete an open world quest but oh actually someone else is killing the targets you need to kill too and you can't register a hit in time. Storage that is limited by the servers, not by what your PC can handle.
Some of this is "solved" by private servers but that has a monthly price tag. Let me just host a world of my own on my own hardware yeah?

Anyway a lot of negativity from me there but it isn't all bad. Some major QoL updates released recently including savable perk loadouts instead of the atrocious system they had before. Wastelanders & the NPCs was a really big upgrade to the world. There are underground vaults you can build in now, with AFAIK less budget restrictions than the overworld. You can have more than one camp now and swap between them. Things are a lot better than launch but it isn't unfair to say that launch was very poor.

For anyone coming in here interested in Fallout or otherwise on the fence I can only suggest you actually try it on a free weekend or I think it is on gamepass now? This might scratch just the right itch for you or it might leave a sour taste in your mouth if you've thrown money down directly towards it.

Likewise with food degradation, which you could fix by getting a refrigerator from the shop. The enemy scaling was also a joke - you could be inside an area and fighting enemies of similar level when some level 100+ character turns up and suddenly all the enemies are killing you in one hit.
Thirst/starvation no longer debuffs, but being well fed etc provides more buffs IIRC now. Never liked the "Survival" trend this was borne from - after a bit it just became tedious, not challenging.
Scaling for enemies is per player now with caps in some areas, so no more "oh god a high level has been here" for the newbies - as funny as that could be the first couple times.

So yes they have fixed a lot as you suspected, but if you're not going to have a good time I don't blame you either.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Is MS changing this game? 1 year ago, it was full of controversial, but now they are doing free content, then this.

? They've been giving out free content though.
That happened BEFORE MS bought Zenimax...

ArtemisClydeFrog ArtemisClydeFrog
Absolutely agreed so I would say as a person that is actually defended Fallout 76 more times than I would like to count I believe they get many things correct especially in regards to the setting I would say for me personally the majority of the things that I enjoyed from Fallout exist in Fallout 76.

One of the things I absolutely love in the Fallout series is simply that feeling of exploration and going to a new place and getting a bunch of stuff and letting the actual world tell the narrative like when you read a letter about what may have happened in a location and you see a bunch of stuff thrown about that gives contexts to the chaos.

These type of small experiences are really the things I enjoy the most from Fallout and the breakup of those experiences to have a fire fight and then to check your supplies, then go exploring to replenish said supplies and then rinse repeat lol

This is why I personally didn't have much of a problem with Fallout 76 and I fell to maybe The Gaming Community exaggerated way too much the game's shortcomings because some of the things I remember reading people bitching about was in regards to this game being online but this was something that was told from the very start they never lied to anyone they never misled the community and they made it very very abundantly clear that it was a separate thing from the other Fallout games and for god sakes even showed a trailer for Star field and Elder Scrolls 6 just to remind people they still love single player and I felt The Gaming Community still went fake outrage to completely bashed the company for doing something separate. So I have nothing against the people who like Fallout 76 or Elder Scrolls Online I still personally enjoy the regular single-player versions of those games but I don't attack people who like the MMO online stuff because they're getting some of the similar experiences that I get from playing it by myself and I think the Gaming Community seems to have a very bad habit of overreacting over the dumbest fucking things.

I think when you are actually Lookout Fallout 76 I think some of you can realize it could be much worse and we've seen really bad examples I'm just awful games.

Anthem was barely the game it was marketed to be cyberpunk 2077 was damn near fucking criminal in regards to how much was omitted about the game's shortcomings and what was removed from the game to the point of content in the menu literally telling you of things that don't exist in the game, don't even get me started on all of the really shity Silent Hill Outsource Great Value games... this is not Sonic 2006 bad and I personally believe The Gaming Community just exaggerated waaaaay too much about these things because Fallout 76 is not the worst game of all time and I would argue there's more good from that game then bad.

So I find that if you just have someone play Fallout 76 without them reading any of the hate spam articles or even going to any gaming Forum to sway their opinion I don't actually believe you get someone that is going to 100% Hate the game with all their heart or something I think a lot of that was manufactured by people's over reaction

Last edited:
Top Bottom