• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76 will add Brotherhood of Steel, new seasonal rewards, new content roadmap

F76_2020_Roadmap_FULL_SIZE.png

Bethesda launched Wastelanders, the update all about NPCs and role-playing, for Fallout 76 in April. Now, the developer has released a roadmap for the rest of 2020 across two blog posts on its official site. There’s a lot of content coming, including a famous NPC faction from the Fallout franchise’s past.

The current “challenge” system in Fallout 76 is very simple: Players can complete tasks, like killing specific monsters or leveling up while wearing a certain piece of silly cosmetic gear, to earn Atom Points, which can then be spent on cosmetics and quality-of-life items in the Atomic Shop.

A new seasons system for Fallout 76 will overhaul that framework. Players will have a new currency called SCORE points that goes up when completing challenges. Players will advance across a retro-style board game with increasing SCORE points, which grants them rewards.

In the fall, the One Wasteland for All event will begin, which will rebalance enemies and levels. This will mean that players won’t leave the Vault, take a wrong turn, and walk into enormous, over-leveled enemies.

In the winter, the Brotherhood of Steel will return in Fractured Steel. This will be a Wastelanders-style expansion pack that adds a new faction, quests, and NPCs to deal with.

Starting today, Fallout 76 will be playable for free on PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One until May 18, although it will require a PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold membership to play on consoles. All progress earned in the free trial will carry over to the full game if purchased.

------------

edit

Bethesda confirms the season pass will be free

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been really enjoying this game, strangely enough. The "One Wasteland for All" update sounds a lot like Elder Scrolls Online's "One Tamriel" update they did a few years ago which would be very welcome. The fact that we're getting what is essentially a story expansion with the Brotherhood of Steel stuff for free, awesome.

That being said, I didn't start playing this until after Wastelanders came out. I can see how there really would have been nothing to do in the game before it had a story.

Andodalf

Banned
Glad they didn't just abandon the game and have actual worked to improve it. A BoS story line could be cool, no clue how that works with the timeline for them in canon tho. The instanced interior houses sound great too. Sounds like the fall is a good time to jump in. I wonder if the game will receive a full next gen version

I've been really enjoying this game, strangely enough. The "One Wasteland for All" update sounds a lot like Elder Scrolls Online's "One Tamriel" update they did a few years ago which would be very welcome. The fact that we're getting what is essentially a story expansion with the Brotherhood of Steel stuff for free, awesome.

That being said, I didn't start playing this until after Wastelanders came out. I can see how there really would have been nothing to do in the game before it had a story.

Yeah it's kinda crazy they didn't have the one Tamriel stuff from the begining, seeing as how much that helped revitalize ESO

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
We're going to add Fallout to a Fallout game. It's just so ridiculous how these game developers who worked on this project don't seem to have a clue or just recently got a clue as to what Fallout fans expect from a Fallout game. What a bunch of idiots.

We're going to add Fallout to a Fallout game. It's just so ridiculous how these game developers who worked on this project don't seem to have a clue or just recently got a clue as to what Fallout fans expect from a Fallout game. What a bunch of idiots.

The whole project, from the beginning, seemed like a really odd direction IMO. When all this stuff gets added I could see myself finally trying it out though. I AM glad they have tried to make it better. I know the Fallout First stuff didn't go over well, though

Guiberu

Glad they didn't just abandon the game and have actual worked to improve it. A BoS story line could be cool, no clue how that works with the timeline for them in canon tho. The instanced interior houses sound great too. Sounds like the fall is a good time to jump in. I wonder if the game will receive a full next gen version

Yeah it's kinda crazy they didn't have the one Tamriel stuff from the begining, seeing as how much that helped revitalize ESO

Played the game since launch - the original Overseer story had its charm. There was a distinct sense of isolation, and every noise meant something nasty was around the corner.

Wastelanders definitely added in a lot of cool stuff, and it's great to see them continue to update and add a huge amount of content for free.

Criminally underrated game, hated predominantly by people that have never actually played it. But that's cool - I'll continue to enjoy the hell out of it anyway.

Last week I had a day off WFH, and spent 10 hours straight, rebuilding my CAMP to be a useful place for low level people to stock up, and rolling for a bunch of awesome legendary weapons.

Beautiful game, too.

2J0TSDE.png

JUddgdx.png

c1MuP8s.png

bA6NYzZ.png

RfIMSrq.png

Nga8k72.png

Ka3GBjy.png

WwAGaa0.png

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
The whole project, from the beginning, seemed like a really odd direction IMO. When all this stuff gets added I could see myself finally trying it out though. I AM glad they have tried to make it better. I know the Fallout First stuff didn't go over well, though
They won't see a dime from me. I'm not going to reward them for doing what should have been done from the beginning. Plus their microtranasaction prices are unbelievable. 20 bucks for blue paint. Fuck them.

Blond

Banned
Question for those playing currently, are the Microtransactions necessary? I can get this for like 5 bucks at the local game shop and it would be a nice change from Call of Duty sucking up 200gb on my hard drive

Guiberu

They won't see a dime from me. I'm not going to reward them for doing what should have been done from the beginning. Plus their microtranasaction prices are unbelievable. 20 bucks for blue paint. Fuck them.

Question for those playing currently, are the Microtransactions necessary? I can get this for like 5 bucks at the local game shop and it would be a nice change from Call of Duty sucking up 200gb on my hard drive

You can unlock a large amount of cosmetics through playing the BR mode, Nuclear Winter.

They also throw free Atoms at you like candy. I've never paid a single penny more in real money, and have amassed thousands.

Those micro-transactions are there purely to "skip the queue/grind" as with most other games.

Blond

Banned
You can unlock a large amount of cosmetics through playing the BR mode, Nuclear Winter.

They also throw free Atoms at you like candy. I've never paid a single penny more in real money, and have amassed thousands.

Those micro-transactions are there purely to "skip the queue/grind" as with most other games.

Sweet! I purchased it online today, physical copy for 8 bucks. Can't wait to give it a go!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've put about 25 hours into the game so far and I've not paid a single cent over and above the initial game purchase. Doing quests and things in-game you'll earn a few (but not many) atoms. Every week they've offered a "free" atom shop item that's the same for everyone. As long as you log in regularly, you'll probably start building up quite the arsenal of freebies.

Almost all of the stuff in the cash shop is cosmetic too, so I've never felt the need to buy something like a custom emote for my character or cosmetic item to put in my base / camp. Overall, I'd say it's pretty darn easy to just ignore the cash shop completely.

D.Final

Banned

Now this isn't necessary.
But in the future who knows?

Honestly, I'm not a fan of battle pass style of content drops. Its just so grindy..
However, the 76's current endgame is grindy already (not unlike an MMO) so I guess it'll just complement the current grind.

It didn't have the brotherhood? LMFAO what a joke
No, the Brotherhood has always had a presence in the game, and their gear was available for grabs. But, like everyone else in WV, they were ousted by the Scorched Plague. That was the original story: to find out what happened to everyone and to make WV safe again for people to return.
Spoilers: it worked, and that's why NPCs have returned. Even better, the returning NPCs actually acknowledge it was you that did it (and sometimes reward you for it), which really makes it feel like a living and evolving Fallout world.

I’m kind of sad people are turning around on this game. It’s a micro-transactioned nightmare in the skin of a Bethesda game. There’s a subscription-service, two in-game currencies, and they’re going to be adding a battle pass. I’m happy when people find a game they like, but Fallout 76 really did take a Bethesda-styled game and do everything that people were afraid Bethesda was going to do.

A decade ago, if you would have told Fallout 3 players that two games later Fallout would be an always-online game, filled with expensive micro transactions, and have a PvP arena mode, no one would have believed you. No one would have believed Bethesda would turn into a company like that. Yet, here we are.

I’m kind of sad people are turning around on this game. It’s a micro-transactioned nightmare in the skin of a Bethesda game. There’s a subscription-service, two in-game currencies, and they’re going to be adding a battle pass. I’m happy when people find a game they like, but Fallout 76 really did take a Bethesda-styled game and do everything that people were afraid Bethesda was going to do.
Yawn. I'm not sad nor disappointed that there are still people out there that regurgitate YouTuber bulletpoints like they're factual; just bored of reading the same old bullshit from people who clearly don't know what the fuck they're talking about. The microtransactions are completely and utterly ineffectual - you can ignore the store to your heart's content and nothing will change about your gameplay experience. You don't even have to buy Atoms, you earn them just by naturally playing.

Also, there are several in-game currencies now. :) It's like an MMO in that regard. And before you have an aneurysm - Atoms are still the only paid currency.
A decade ago, if you would have told Fallout 3 players that two games later Fallout would be an always-online game, filled with expensive micro transactions, and have a PvP arena mode, no one would have believed you. No one would have believed Bethesda would turn into a company like that. Yet, here we are.
Actually, if you told Fallout 3 players that they would be able to play Fallout in a shared world with other players, many would be intrigued (if not ecstatic) with the possibility.

Isometric Fallout fans, on the other hand, were always going to be upset with what Bethesda is doing, and they've managed to hijack the fanbase with their juvenile "hurr durr Bethesda bad" bullshit.

VertigoOA

Banned
Enjoying my time back with the game overall. Only major thing I’ve done is complete Commander Daguerre’s quest line. Just moved onto Beckett’s. Haven’t gone too deep in the actual wastelanders story with picking a side to infiltrate Vault 79 yet. Have dumped a good chunk of time in already with the expansion. By the time I clear most of the quests I have backlogged the brotherhood quest should be out. Definitely taking my time... game is huge and grind... you kinda have to.

It’s doing well on Xbox Live. Currently ranked 22, ahead of games like Sea of Thieves, PUBG, Borderlands 3, Warframe, Division and Monster Hunter.

I’d say it has players ... lol

Last edited:
Revolutionary Revolutionary

I’m sick of people trying to gatekeep based on assumed lack of knowledge. I’m sick of having to justify opinions by trying to prove that I actually played a game. I bought Fallout 76 at release. I’ve tried to like it. I spent more time trying to like Fallout 76, than any other game. I stick by what I’ve said about it. It’s a game built around monetization, not fun. The loot is the appeal. There’s a reason people freaked out, and got super excited about the Ranger armor. There’s a reason people grind atoms for cosmetics. The loot is the draw. It’s why Bethesda is adding a season pass. They know people are going to spend money on the seasonal loot.

I’m glad you’re having fun with the game. I’m not trying to get it taken away from you. At the same time, I really, really don’t like the game.

rubenburgt

I haven't followed this game at all, but didn't they originally said it wasn't capable of having NPC's?

Was it not released as a game with not a single NPC in it?

Cosmetic only items barely qualify as actual loot. They’re skins.
Eh. I mean, I guess. I’d argue that the even if it’s not “loot”, it’s still one of the main drives. Players want their avatar to look cool. So much so that Bethesda added the ability to control your appearance regardless of armor and clothing.

VertigoOA

Banned
The main drive is rolling good legendary perks on weapons and armor and crafting your character build. Or building your camp with new plans acquired from in-game rewards. All the legitimate gameplay content is not gated by a micro transaction store. And the wastelanders drop to begin with is one of the most generous free dlc updates in recent memory anyway.

It’s like thinking you’re missing out on street fighter because you don’t own all 16 of chun- li’s dlc outfits. Its not a big deal at all.

I think the season pass is outrageous Anyway. No way would I spend 100hrs + a season with 76 for those rewards. I guess it’s there for the super hardcore. As long as I don’t need to get that to also get new dlc quests It’s easy to ignore. I still don’t see the appeal of Fallout 1st aside from server stability by having less players on a server.

I’d pay for another expansion I guess... I mean it couldn’t be worse than Fallout 4’s season pass which was 75% camp nonsense and ridiculously overpriced. But I don’t expect Bethesda to start doing that. I assume they’re trying to see how well the sheep buy cosmetics to fuel production.

BigBooper

A decade ago, people were willing to pay $14-16 a month to play one mmo.

dorkimoe

I have been enjoying this game recently, but I have to take breaks because Adictol doesnt exist and I am going to have a red burn in of the alcohol symbol into my screen. Fuck that shit

SCB3

So I played this at launch and it wasn't working for me at all, the PC version was a buggy mess, but after Bungies failing with Destiny this season, I thought I'd go back and Im slightly addicted, I love Fallout and this is exactly what I wanted from a ESO like Fallout.

This roadmap reiterates to me that its going the right way and I'm excited for its future

I have been enjoying this game recently, but I have to take breaks because Adictol doesnt exist and I am going to have a red burn in of the alcohol symbol into my screen. Fuck that shit
There are UI opacity settings in the menu that should help with that. Also, lay off the chems :p

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

dorkimoe

There are UI opacity settings in the menu that should help with that. Also, lay off the chems :p
Yeah I tried turning it down. Then I couldn’t see my health very well haha. It’s just shit that 99% of my game time has this addiction and nothing I can do about it

Yeah I tried turning it down. Then I couldn’t see my health very well haha. It’s just shit that 99% of my game time has this addiction and nothing I can do about it
If you're on PC I can give you some addictol. Otherwise, just keep an eye out for some in first aid boxes or just lying around in areas with health equipment.

I`m playing the free weekend and i`m enjoying it i guess. I just have a question. I don`t want to pvp ever. What are the odds of other players ruining my experience?

Andodalf

Banned
Remember everyone this game is a big part of the reason why we’re not gonna see Elder Scrolls VI until well over a decade after Skyrim released.
I refuse to give Bethesda a dime or a second of my playtime on this crap.

76 was made on the skeleton of fallout 4, a ton of work already done, and the primary dev for it isn't even BGS Bethesda, it's BGS Austin. COVID has probably effected ESVI way more that 76 has. Starfield was always going to take a long time. There was talk of their new games needing to wait for better tech way back in like 2016 or 2017 as well.

I`m playing the free weekend and i`m enjoying it i guess. I just have a question. I don`t want to pvp ever. What are the odds of other players ruining my experience?
Almost nil. There are two ways to enter PvP in the game: 1. you and another player mutually attack one another or 2. fighting over a workshop.
In the case of #1, simply avoid retaliating if someone attacks you (which will probably never happen intentionally), and the other player will only do a fraction of damage to you. You can turn on Pacifist Mode in the menu to ensure that you don't accidentally damage someone and never enter PvP by this method.
As for #2, there are workshops around the map that you can capture to mine resources passively while you do other things. However, another player can attempt to take the workshop from you and initiate PvP that way. If you really, really don't want to PvP then just roll over and let them take it. But, again, this is something that almost never happens.

So yeah, PvP is completely avoidable and most players are nice enough that it never happens anyway. Unless you're playing Nuclear Winter, of course.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The free weekend has made me think its not near as bad as the internet made it. I’m not terribly far into the game, did a bunch of stuff for the Duchess and now I have to either save her people or go to the airport for the responders.

Im only about lvl 11 or so, and VATS seems terrible so far, but I’ve been spreading the love on skills instead of just focusing on one.

Overall I have to say it’s not near as bad as I anticipated and am considering buying it.

VertigoOA

Banned

Zero. PVP is pretty much regulated to the BR mode. The griefing aspect of the vanilla game was pretty much gutted since no players where actually doing it anyway. I would like to see some kind of gladiator arena put on the map to put builds against eachother tho but the gunplay still has a long friggin way to go before that can actually be made ... fun and playable

You can pretty much treat this as a single player game and in some ways it’s better served as such since so much of your time is spent scavenging.

The game is an ugly piece of shit too... but it does have its moments where it impresses.

More and more I have to say it’s becoming one of my favorites of recent memory. Always gave it a run during D2 dry spells and it’s different enough of an online game from it that ... I think it’s a game to watch... I mean it’s had a stronger playerbase than Division 2... and... it’s outtracking borderlands... to put it into perspective... game is pretty much a success.

Really starting to love my time with it... it’s a rather chill experience.

Only other game like it I’ve tried is Conan on PS4... and somehow that game introduced me to something even more jankier than Morriwind so I passed.

PS - Bethesda is adding in-game LFG into Fallout 76 before Destiny. Lol

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

There are 2 "legit" ways that PvP can be initiated outside of the BR mode:

1. Workshops. If someone contests an owned workshop PvP is started. You get a notification that it is under attack or whatever , but you can wholly ignore it as you are not required to do anything. Honestly it's not even worth it to fight over as the resources used to build up a workshop comes from the workshop itself and not your supply . So if you really want the resources there just server hop to find an empty one and take that over . I've put a ridiculous amounts of hours since Wastelanders and I've never had someone contest one of my workshops , honestly I RARELY see owned workshops at all.

2.Someone hacks/lockpics a player owned container at a C.A.M.P. If you go to someones C.A.M.P. and you see one of those water purifier things and it says lock , if you pic that you'll get a bounty on your head and everyone on the server can see where you're at and attack you at will . Again , all the hours I've put in I might've seen this twice ..and one of them picked my stuff! He was a new player didn't know what would happen and even gave me back my stuff ..or at least most of it .

The "un" legit way is you will get a team up request from a random person and when you join they will have one of their friends attack them and since they won't have pacifist mode on PvP is started for the entire team and pretty much you get ganked. Only heard about this from friend who it happened to but was able to actually win a 3 on 1 ..lag some times works in your favor!!

dorkimoe

If you're on PC I can give you some addictol. Otherwise, just keep an eye out for some in first aid boxes or just lying around in areas with health equipment.
Sadly Xbox. I’ll keep checking medical places.

Side question. If I bought one of the building bundles from the store you just get the blueprints right? Not a pre made house?

Side question. If I bought one of the building bundles from the store you just get the blueprints right? Not a pre made house?
The Atomic Store? I think some of the bundles have pre-fab buildings, like the log cabin bundle... but I'm not 100% sure to be honest, as I've never bought one. Sorry.

Also, I forgot to mention there are also Chem Boxes to look out for that may contain Addictol as well. They're small rectangular boxes that are completely yellow. Good luck!

Ogbert

Tried the game again, but I just can't handle how badly it performs.

Playing on a 2080 and I still can't get a smooth frame rate. The frame pacing is beyond annoying.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

The Atomic Store? I think some of the bundles have pre-fab buildings, like the log cabin bundle... but I'm not 100% sure to be honest, as I've never bought one. Sorry.

Also, I forgot to mention there are also Chem Boxes to look out for that may contain Addictol as well. They're small rectangular boxes that are completely yellow. Good luck!
I ended up getting one today. Best day of my life :D. I was farming the Penetentiary because a youtube video showed me where one was. But it wasnt there yesterday. Tried again today. Never doing alcohol again unless i have one in my inventory.

Tried the game again, but I just can't handle how badly it performs.

Playing on a 2080 and I still can't get a smooth frame rate. The frame skipping is beyond annoying.

Playing on Xbox one x, and obviously its 30 fps and quite annoying. I can run it on PC (1080) and was thinking of rebuying it to get 60fps but if its not even smooth for you, I stand no chance. I really want a 60fps fallout

Last edited:

Ogbert

I can run it on PC (1080) and was thinking of rebuying it to get 60fps but if its not even smooth for you, I stand no chance. I really want a 60fps fallout

Can't recommend it dude.

Bethesda have been quite open about it. They took a single player engine with gremlins in it and tried to bolt on multiplayer. It's just not up to the task.

Shame, as I love the Fallout aesthetic.

SCB3

The Log Cabin is a pre fab, the house is the Blueprints for the Walls and Floors etc, I got that one thinking it was the house as well

VertigoOA

Banned
Console performance isn’t too horrible on PS4 pro honestly. Especially when compared to its launch months. Frame rate seems mostly solid and image quality is pretty damn clean as well so that’s welcome. I’ve seen about 3 -4 disconnects since the update but nothing that really soured the experience.

I’d have to see some more stressful combat encounters to see where it falls apart. I can definitely see this game being upgraded for next gen as well and that will most likely happen. It’s possible even during launch window.

I can’t shit on its performance anymore. At this point it feels a bit more polished than my experience with Fallout 4 was on PS4.

I wonder if some things are even salvageable sometimes. Like can they just replace the combat interface by just like swapping out a module of some form. I’m starting to become curious on what limits the engine has.

Last edited:
I ended up getting one today. Best day of my life :D. I was farming the Penetentiary because a youtube video showed me where one was. But it wasnt there yesterday. Tried again today. Never doing alcohol again unless i have one in my inventory.

Playing on Xbox one x, and obviously its 30 fps and quite annoying. I can run it on PC (1080) and was thinking of rebuying it to get 60fps but if its not even smooth for you, I stand no chance. I really want a 60fps fallout
I'm playing on a i7 8700k with a 980Ti at 1080/60 damn near flawlessly. The only exception is, for some reason, the Whitesprings golf resort if someone has their CAMP there. I really don't get why that area is such a problem for performance when it comes to CAMPs

Also, congrats on finding addictol! :p

Last edited:
Fallout 76 after the updates is better than Fallout 4.

Actual dialogue trees, no voiced protagonist, and better written characters and story.
West Vriginia is also better than Boston, with more different boimes, and the enemy design is top notch too, there's more stuff that is not the boring ghoul/mutant crap in the older games.

Top Bottom