• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 will receive a free next-gen update in 2023 for XSX/S, PS5 and PC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
One X was boosted to 4k, but was 30 fps.
I see. Should be able to double the performance on the xsx at least.

Game runs at 70-80 fps in the open world on an rtx 2080 and a little over 60 fps in hub worlds so it should be doable seeing as how the 2080 is on par with the xsx and PS5 in standard rasterization.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
If this is only about resolution and framerate, what "next-gen update" are they doing on the PC version where resolution in user-defined and framerate depends on each user's system hardware?

Also, when are we going to stop calling "next-gen" to the current console generation? We've had 9th-gen consoles in the market for 2 years now.
Is "next-gen" going to be used for the PS5 and Series consoles until the actual next generation (10th-gen) launches?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

If this is only about resolution and framerate, what "next-gen update" are they doing on the PC version where resolution in user-defined and framerate depends on each user's system hardware?

I hope RTGI and audio that makes sense (as in not hearing enemies 5 stories above you as if they’re right next to you)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I see. Should be able to double the performance on the xsx at least.

Game runs at 70-80 fps in the open world on an rtx 2080 and a little over 60 fps in hub worlds so it should be doable seeing as how the 2080 is on par with the xsx and PS5 in standard rasterization.

Series X already boosts it to 60 fps (Skyrim too). So next gen at 4k/60 isnt anything special unless Bethesda goes over and above with texture improvements and such. There's also mods already that do some of that, so it makes Bethesda's next gen even more important to go beyond that.

NickFire

Unexpected and appreciated in advance. I got really close to end, put aside for a couple days, and couple days turned into years. Happy to go back and finish.

Honestly this was an lmao moment for me this morning when I saw this announcement. Last night I *literally* decided to redownload F4 and play it again for the time since 2015, on my Series X.

What a coincidence.

Anyway, I don’t think the improvements are worth holding off, so I’ll still play now. My entire time with F4 until today was on OG Xbox One, so I’m in for an improvement just with out-of-the-box BC + the SSD which makes it so I can never go back to non-SSD outside of Nintendo games.

Last edited:

CeeJay

I hope RTGI and audio that makes sense (as in not hearing enemies 5 stories above you as if they’re right next to you)
Yeah that's one of the things I dislike about the game. Sounds is super important when you are sneaking about and you can't tell if that enemy you can hear is in the room behind a door or on a completely different floor. You can do some really cool stuff with sound occlusion and raytracing. I hope that Bethesda put a lot of time and effort into overhauling the audio engine for Starfield.

hemo memo

Gold Member
bug fixes
Yeah Right Judging You GIF

93xfan

Banned
Nice. I started playing Fallout 4 for the first time a week or so ago, maybe I would have waited if i'd known this was coming but i'm certainly not going to stop and wait now.
Will start this after finishing Skyrim again. Hyped for this!

Drizzlehell

Banned
About damn time. I recently wanted to play it on PS5 after not playing it for a few years, and I immediately turned it off when I saw that it's running in 30 FPS. There are just some games that do not feel comfortable to play in 30 FPS and Fallout 4 is one of those games.

Dr.Morris79

Fuck this game. Hours spent on it for it to shit the bed and knacker all the saves making it lock up on the right side of the map no matter what you do, Series X, fully patched

Total dogshit. Not doing that again.

Caio

As much as it will sound unpopular, I enjoyed Fallout4 a lot. Sure there were bugs that pissed me off, like an entire map, Thicket Excavations, not correctly loaded, almost every time you were approaching it; it was enough stopping before it was loaded, save and quit, then loading again the Game, and all was fine. I'm expecting this to be fixed, it was embarassing.
I would love a mega texture Pack, 4K/60 and other visual enhancements. I would play it again on my XSX on survival mode.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Meanwhile, Fallout 4 VR is and has always been nearly unplayable :(
Search on the internet, there are mods which makes it perfectly okay, I think I've used something from Polygon or something. Those mods are from Nexus mods thus it's easy to install.

But yeah it's a mess.

Besides funny thing is, that I do the room calibration well on that headset, I can't go through door, because for some reason I am taller than the door...

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Series X already boosts it to 60 fps (Skyrim too). So next gen at 4k/60 isnt anything special unless Bethesda goes over and above with texture improvements and such. There's also mods already that do some of that, so it makes Bethesda's next gen even more important to go beyond that.

FPS Boost drops the game to 1080p/60 on Series X.

This will be a proper patch that allows for a full 4k/60.

scydrex

Fallout 4 is a decent game hampered by slightly iffy performance, at least on PS4, so I’m up for this!

The LOD, the fog of the DLC in the island horrible, pop in and loading are horrible. I thought i was playing Fallout 3 when playing Fallout 4 in the 2020.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont remember F4 mods much as I stopped playing years ago, but can go by Skyrim mods which there will probably be similar ones.

- Unlimited stamina
- Unlimited ammo
- Unlimited carrying weight capacity
- Better weather effects (I remember one that had crazier colours and weather)
- Look for better texture quality mods

Fallout 4 had similar mods as well, can confirm.

As much as it will sound unpopular, I enjoyed Fallout4 a lot. Sure there were bugs that pissed me off, like an entire map, Thicket Excavations, not correctly loaded, almost every time you were approaching it; it was enough stopping before it was loaded, save and quit, then loading again the Game, and all was fine. I'm expecting this to be fixed, it was embarassing.
I would love a mega texture Pack, 4K/60 and other visual enhancements. I would play it again on my XSX on survival mode.

Fallout 4 is fine, one of the biggest issues I had with the game at launch, i-e the dialogue interface, thankfully has multiple good mods to fix.

There is a V Sync unlock mod available that lets the game run at 4K 60 about 95% of the time while retaining the One X resolution. There's a similar mod for PS5 version if I'm not mistaken that does the same but at 1440p (i-e the PS4 Pro's resolution).

Last edited:

Also, when are we going to stop calling "next-gen" to the current console generation? We've had 9th-gen consoles in the market for 2 years now.
Is "next-gen" going to be used for the PS5 and Series consoles until the actual next generation (10th-gen) launches?
As it stands the PC version is capped at 60fps. While easily fixed with mods or updates to ini, it's not straightforward and can lead to messed up physics if not done properly. Having native support for high framerates on PC would be nice, similar to their efforts in F76

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Ah. My mistake. I must had missed the info. I assumed the 4k boost for One X carried over to Series X.

Both Skyrim and F4 at 60 fps look surprisingly good on Series X for old ass games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom