• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 vs. Cyberpunk 2077

Caio

(12 days in) Fallout4 on XBox One X, can't stop playing it. I didn't play Cyberpunk, and I won't. I hope Microsoft and Bethesda will do their best to release a mindblowing Fallout5. Any news ?

Last edited:
(12 days in) Fallout4 on XBox One X, can't stop playing it. I didn't play Cyberpunk, and I won't. I hope Microsoft and Bethesda will do their best to release a mindblowing Fallout5. Any news ?
What's your secret? Maybe I'm approaching the game from the wrong angle? Teach me to like it. :messenger_hushed:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This might be the worst comparison thread I've ever seen. Fallout 4 even without glitches is a chore. Cyberpunk by a country mile.
That's just Your opinion and it's fine.
With 2077, I had to pay in 2-3 hours chunks as it was tedious and not gripping... Fallout 4 I think I ran in few days straight and I hated the institute quest

cripterion

Weird metric to go by, Cyberpunk already has a modding community and it will certainly get bigger with time.

It's not, I highly doubt the game will be as moddable as Fallout 4. Case in point, you'll always get a busted ass third person in Cyberpunk cause how they decided to make the game.

Braag

lmao
I bought Fallout 4 day one as I always liked Bethesda RPGs, it took me over a year to finally finish that game. I restarted it like 4 times, got to a certain point and stopped playing. It was just too boring, the story /characters were meh, the settlement building and everything surrounding it was something I really didn't like.

I've all ready finished CP2077 though and really itching for that second playthrough, but waiting for the supposedly big patch hitting this month. It has its flaws and glitches (Police system comes to mind) but even in its current state it's a waaay better game than Fallout 4.

MMaRsu

Banned
It sounds like people aren’t quite being fair to F4. Bethesda bugs are a problem, but they are great and building worlds and from what I’ve heard Cyberpunk’s world is more of a backdrop that you can’t interact with
People are being overly fair because Fallout 4 is a turd of a game

But then again people play shit like Rust and DayZ and think those are legitimately good games.

Fallout 4s companions are horrible, the writing is absolutely terrible, animations are garbage, bugs are jank, world is boring and nothing much interesting to discover at all besides some terminals.

The music is repeats from Fallout 3 and NV, terrible 'DJ'. The story of you going out and finding your kid Shaun is fucking retarded. Your dialogue is shit, you cant really roleplay anything. Reputation with factions doesnt really matter.

Endgame quests are fucking dumb

It sounds like people aren’t quite being fair to F4. Bethesda bugs are a problem, but they are great and building worlds and from what I’ve heard Cyberpunk’s world is more of a backdrop that you can’t interact with
Legitimate question, how? I didn't play Fallout 4, and can only go on my experiences with Oblivion, Skyrim and FO3 so I am curious. I didn't find any of those game worlds more interactive but maybe Bethesda stepped it up and I'm wrong.

Patrick S.

Banned

But then again people play shit like Rust and DayZ and think those are legitimately good games.

Fallout 4s companions are horrible, the writing is absolutely terrible, animations are garbage, bugs are jank, world is boring and nothing much interesting to discover at all besides some terminals.

The music is repeats from Fallout 3 and NV, terrible 'DJ'. The story of you going out and finding your kid Shaun is fucking retarded. Your dialogue is shit, you cant really roleplay anything. Reputation with factions doesnt really matter.

I play Fallout 4 like it's a Far Cry game, and I love it.

P.S. DayZ is dope!

johntown

Banned
I like Fallout 4 better despite its flaws. Cyberpunk felt too much like GTA (whcih I don't like) with RPG elements.

MiguelItUp

Cyberpunk 2077, even in its current state, stands harder and stronger than Fallout 4 in my opinion.

To this day, I still don't remember if I completed FO4 or not, so I think that says a lot. FO3? Definitely remember. NV? Definitely remember. FO4? It's a huge blur.

Honestly FO4 wouldn't be more than meh if it wasn't for the modding community breathing life into it.

MetalRain

I love the freedom in Fallout 4, you can do the tutorial and then you can wander in that world for 50 hours or more. It's quite natural how story and exploration meshes together.

In Cyberpunk 2077 you kind of have to do more story quests to get variety.

Magog.

Banned
Literally what lol

Legion is the best open world game ever made. The NPC simulation alone is unreal. Thousands of NPCs that actually have their own back stories, rivalries, schedules, names, and unique perks and they are all playable. Add to that gameplay that is far more complex and innovative than GTA with the choice to play as a hacker, stealth, melee or full out combat and they are all fun and viable and can be mixed and matched to your heart's content. It's also really funny and has a great story that is very applicable to today's society.

Last edited:
Legion is the best open world game ever made. The NPC simulation alone is unreal. Thousands of NPCs that actually have their own back stories, rivalries, schedules, names, and unique perks and they are all playable. Add to that gameplay that is far more complex and innovative than GTA with the choice to play as a hacker, stealth, melee or full out combat and they are all fun and viable and can be mixed and matched to your heart's content. It's also really funny and has a great story that is very applicable to today's society.

The RPG part of Cyberpunk is pretty important for me.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Comparison was pointless and messy so I deleted it.

I was disappointed in both games, but Fallout 4 was a lot more fun.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
The RPG part of Cyberpunk is pretty important for me.

You can definitely role play in Watch Dogs Legion. You get a nearly endless amount of characters whose roles you can play. There was a mission where you are supposed to seduce someone and I recruited a prostitute just for the task. You can be a hacker that attacks from the shadows using drones, etc. Its a different kind of role play for sure but it's definitely a role playing game in more ways that not. You can also improve your weapons and abilities with skill points and through recruitment over time.

Last edited:
You can definitely role play in Watch Dogs Legion. You get a nearly endless amount of characters whose roles you can play. There was a mission where you are supposed to seduce someone and I recruited a prostitute just for the task. You can be a hacker that attacks from the shadows using drones, etc. Its a different kind of role play for sure but it's definitely a role playing game in more ways that not. You can also improve your weapons and abilities with skill points and through recruitment over time.

Are you just here to advertise Watch Dogs: Legion?

Romulus

I think Cyberpunk will be far better later(6months-year), just not for the people playtesting it right now for the rest of us.

Isendurl

No, that's the muddy graphics. Skyrim looked better than Fallout 4.
I thought Fallout 4 didn't look that bad actually.
Im definitely willing to give Bethesda a pass on graphics just because their games are more interactive than most other open world games.

Last edited:

Loostreaks

Other than crafting/itemization, simulation mechanics and sense of discovery, Cyberpunk is just, it's not even close enough to be a comparison, better. Far better and more varied gameplay, rpg mechanics, story, characters, side missions and mission design, music, dialogue, etc, etc.
Bethesda games are fun enough if you're satisfied with discover-kill-loot-craft gameplay loop, but they become stale after dozen hours or so, for lack of almost any good content.

GymWolf

I played 20 hours of fallout 4 and i had far more bugs and glitches than cyberpunk, even a couple of game-breaking stuff.

cyberpunk is the far superior game anyway.

Starfield

Fallout 4's world feels alot more lively than 76

edit: damn, I had a brainfart.

Fallout 4 has lots more things to do and therefore is a much more well rounded and better game. Cyberpunk on the other hand has the better story

Last edited:

Caio

What's your secret? Maybe I'm approaching the game from the wrong angle? Teach me to like it. :messenger_hushed:

It's the atmosphere, the exploration, the massive world, good DLCs like Nuka World and Far Harbour, the different endings, all the weapons variety and customization, armours(I'm very very close to get the strongest armour in the entire Game), the customizable robots which can follow you in the missions, like Ada, or the ones you build by yourself(so many customizations), and the different approach you can use in any mission. I also like a lot the massive array of Talents, there are so many, that each time I get a level upgrade, I spend 5 minutes only to decide which Talent I need to upgrade.
You can follow different factions to the point their goals do not collide one with the other or simply you decide to stop supporting some for any reason. In few words, I love the gameplay formula in this Game. I know there's plenty of rooms for improvements, things to fix, etc, but I would love MS and Bethesda to team together to produce a fantastic Fallout 5, that would be my dream and enough reason to buy a XSX.

edited : I forgot about the settlements building, if you like it, you can get lost and spend hours and hours just building and giving shape to you your imagination. It's a matter of taste and opinions, and I love Fallout4.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Legitimate question, how? I didn't play Fallout 4, and can only go on my experiences with Oblivion, Skyrim and FO3 so I am curious. I didn't find any of those game worlds more interactive but maybe Bethesda stepped it up and I'm wrong.
I liked exploring the world in F3/4/Skyrim, coming across something new like the living tree place in F3 for example. Fallout definitely needs some colour back in it (there should be green trees, no doubt), but for the worlds themselves I like them. There’s a lot to do and a lot to find. Quest lines that you can just stumble upon. Fallout has Vaults, Skyrim has dungeons. They’ve certainly been well worth my time.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
As a one time play through, I think Cyberpunk 2077 is the better game. But if you were going for multiple playthrough of games with the most replay value, Fallout 4 wins by a landslide. IF it was a weekend rental choice, pick CP2077, if it's a buy one or the other, get Fallout 4.

Fallout 4 has the luxury of thousands of mods, so if there's things you don't like about the base game, chances are there are mods to fix/change the game into what you want. I prefer to play FO4 as a hardcore survival, pretty much 1-shot 1-kill S.T.A.L.K.E.R-like game.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Sidestepping around the passionate disdain, your point about dialogue options is spot on. That is the biggest misstep they could have made and the whole game suffers for it.

BigBooper

Fallout 4 felt like a dumbed down Fallout 3 but after playing Cyberpunk the game feels more next gen than 2077.
I haven't played CP2077 yet, because I'm waiting on them to finish it, but this is the most disappointing comment I've ever read about it. I hated how dumb Fallout 4 was.

I haven't played CP2077 yet, because I'm waiting on them to finish it, but this is the most disappointing comment I've ever read about it. I hated how dumb Fallout 4 was.
The huge seamless open world of Cyberpunk 2077 is the most impressive next gen thing about the game. The actual RPG/gameplay content wise, not so much.

Warablo

Having played a little bit of Watch Dogs Legion, and Cyberpunk. I admit some of the hacking background/perk info and recruiting people seemed like great additions to make Cyberpunk feel more alive with how cool some of their NPC's look.

Vtecomega

Banned
Is Fallout 4 worth playing on PS5 without the mods? Any decent mods on the PS4 version? sucks the xbox version has all the mod support. Damn you sony.

EDMIX

I'd say Fallout 4 simply because what it aims to do, it does very well even if its limited. They understand what the team can do, focused on that and delivered a solid experience. The marketing was done very well, no yeaaaaars of hype, just here is a trailer, see you in 6 months lol

Fallout 4 basically only promises to be a Fallout experience with exploring post-apocalyptic wilderness.

I enjoy how the VAC system is used and I believe the perk system is superior to any of the incremental upgrades that you do in cyberpunk outside of maybe the double jump and the mantis arms.

I believe what sets them apart even further is going to be the settlement system and how factions worked because throughout the game the decisions you made depending on what faction you sided with actually had big significant things happening to you in the game. Looking back at Fallout 4 now, I might like it less than New Vegas or Fallout 3 but looking at how things turned out for cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 4 is simply the far superior game in many many regards. They didn't bite off more than they could chew and the experience you are looking for was very much intact even if it wasn't as good as Fallout 3 or New Vegas in my personal opinion.

I feel cyberpunk 2077 kind of suffers from being a jack of all trades master of none as you end up getting an experience that you're not even quite sure in what area it's going to be the best in because I can't even really tell you that's an RPG it would be like saying Far Cry is an RPG or something, even Fallout 4 is criticisms for being less of an RPG compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas seem pretty minute in comparison now in hindsight.

So Fallout 4 does a very good job at making all the things the factions do actually matter in the world.

Outlier

HOnestly at this point; they should have just made the game a linear game with open approach story missions, with elaborate side missions.

Would have fit their strengths much better and would have been a better experience.

The open world aspect of the game seems pointless, beyond exploration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom