• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 vs. Cyberpunk 2077

Eric187

Banned
To those who played and finished both which do you consider to be the better overall game? I’ve just got a PS5 and I am starting a play through of CP2077 and so far I’m loving it. I was playing it on the pro but decided to start over once I got the PS5 and it’s a much smoother experience. I also have fallout 4 but never finished it due to probably the same issues such as load times, frame rate, etc.. But how’s do they compare in terms of story, weapons, rpg choices, exploration? Since I know it will run much better on the PS5 I’m going to probably going to give it another try if most recommend it.

Arachnid

Cyberpunk is FAR better. I had more fun with it and it evoked more emotion. Still a let down compared to what I expected, but I loved the experience regardless.

Fallout 4 was a huge let down for me from prior entries, and I'm still somewhat salty about that. My hype levels were immeasurable at the time.

Mozzarella

Very, very interesting comparison. Looking forward to reading the answers.
This is for anybody who likes to compare these two games, answer them if you like. I will post my answers later, i need to think about it because i played Fallout 4 in 2015 and never touched it again.

1) Writing;

Main Quests:
Side Quests:
Characters:
World Building:
Dialogue?:

2) Gameplay;

Gunplay:
Melee:
Mission Design:
Controls:
RPG Elements or Variety of Gameplay options:
Dialogue?:

3) Open World;

Interactivity:
Exploration:
Structure of Open World (Level Design/Area Design):
Environments Variety:
A.I of NPC:
Traversal:

4) Visuals;

Art Direction:
Graphics and Texture Quality:
Characters Design:

5) Sounds;

Sounds Quality (Design):
Soundtrack and Music:
Voice Acting:

Overall Winner:

Last edited:

GenericUser

It's funny because I actually went back and finished Fallout 4 when cyberpunk turned out to be unplayable on console. They are not really compareable though. But cyberpunk could learn a lessen or two from fallout. Loot for example. Cyberpunk is cluttered with trash loot that serves no purpose. It's just busywork in cyberpunk to look through the piles of trash loot to finally find something decent. Fallout does a much better job at this. Not only is there less trash-loot, but also the process of looting in general is straightforward and fast (and the trash loot can actually be recycled to be used for weapon and armor upgrades). I also think that cyberpunk could use some form of VATS targeting. It's a nice addition to the realtime combat in fallout 4 and just adds another layer of gameplay variety that is much appreciated. All in all, very different games. Cyberpunk has its huge huge and very impressive looking city and top notch graphics (on PC). Fallout has a decent story, well balanced gameplay mechanics and a more varied open world experience I would say.

Last edited:
1) Writing;

Main Quests: Cyberpunk
Side Quests: Cyberpunk
Characters: Cyberpunk
World Building: Cyberpunk
Dialogue?: Cyberpunk

2) Gameplay;

Gunplay: Cyberpunk
Melee: Cyberpunk
Mission Design: Cyberpunk
Controls: Cyberpunk
RPG Elements or Variety of Gameplay options: Cyberpunk
Dialogue?: Cyberpunk

3) Open World;

Interactivity: Cyberpunk
Exploration: Cyberpunk
Structure of Open World (Level Design/Area Design): Cyberpunk
Environments Variety: Cyberpunk
A.I of NPC: Cyberpunk
Traversal: Cyberpunk

4) Visuals;

Art Direction: Cyberpunk
Graphics and Texture Quality: Cyberpunk
Characters Design: Cyberpunk

5) Sounds;

Sounds Quality (Design): Cyberpunk
Soundtrack and Music: Cyberpunk
Voice Acting: Cyberpunk

Overall Winner: Cyberpunk

Well...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I liked them both, but I definitely enjoyed Cyberpunk far more. The setting, story, writing, characters, visuals (duh), atmosphere, and minute to minute gameplay was all far more enjoyable for me. I still liked Fallout 4, but it ultimately fell a little flat for me.

I haven't truly enjoyed a Bethesda game since Oblivion and I played that on the fucking 360. Excuse me while I laugh at people complaining about CP2077 on consoles haha.

FO3 was a disgrace to the name and Skyrim was more polished (🤣) yet uglier than Oblivion. Oblivion had that perfect amount of fantasy kitsch and jankiness but a warmth and tenderness to some of the voice acting and lighting. Love that game but will never, ever play it again. I passed on Fallout 4 because it looked like Bethesda hadn't learned or even tried to improve anything from the past and I still held a grudge for how they royally fucked Obsidian so....

In every single way, Cyberpunk 2077 is better than any Bethesda game ever released for me.

Last edited:

Aenima

Cyberpunk is pretty much better in every department. Just need some polish. But the games are very diferent. Just play one then the other. The thing i enjoyed most in Fallout 4 was exploring the map, and building settlements.

Last edited:

Heartkiller

Haven't finished Cyberpunk yet but if you want story and characters, Cyberpunk is a much better choice. If you wanna kill everything, collect everything, and then build a bunch of settlements... go with Fallout.

luffie

Cyberpunk has everything better by miles except.... FO4 allows you to built house, this one Fallout wins hands down.

If only CP2077 allows modders to built interior spaces, then CP2077 will be untouchable as king for years. Modders will make wonderful/horrifying building spaces.

cripterion

I'm not done with Cyberpunk (will get back to it when they patch the game some more) but Fallout 4 is leagues above just because of the modding community.

ethomaz

Banned
Weird comparison when FO4 was already a big downgrade from the the previous game.

Fallout New Vegas basically beat both in almost all departments.

Last edited:
fallout 4 has an INCREDIBLE foundation for what could have been a legendary game

the shit that took it down was it's terrible writing, but somehow in the DLC "far harbor", you get a glimpse of very good writing

fucking sad that a DLC is miles better than the main game

cyberpunk, although i haven't played it, i've seen a ton of gameplay footage

and from it the impression i got was it's a game that thinks of itself as much bigger than it really is

and it's really a basic generic blob that tries to trick you into believing you're balls deep in the most immersive blade-runner metropolis experience

it's cheap tricks too.. playing thrilling music in not so thrilling situations, having npcs walk in confined patterns like it's a 90s video game, etc.

nothing about the writing sticks out either

Mr_Potato

Banned
With all its shortcomings, Cyberpunk is still the better game by a country mile. The writing can't even be compared. Characters and story are on another level. Combat is a lot better on Cyberpunk too. Don't be silly.

Cyberpunk is a great game that should have been a masterpiece but was rushed and released unfinished to please the investors. After a few patches and DLCs it will shine a lot more.

Fallout 4 is just an average game.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Story and world building are important for an RPG and Fallout 4 has the worst of the worst. It finished off Fallout as a universe, degraded it to a joke. Fallout 3 was already just a pile of references, but the world felt somewhat gritty and authentic. Fallout 4 is full on Rise of Skywalker of Fallout universe.

Heartkiller

I'm actually a huge Fallout 4 fan but this right here... man... what a sad state of affairs when this is how you describe a Fallout game.
Same here. I enjoyed building up my settlements but they should have reined in the amount of settlements and focused more on the dialogue and unique quests. They had so many cool locations in Fallout 4 but everything always boiled down to killing everything in sight. They had a robot racing track but you couldn't bet on the races... A fight pit but you couldn't participate in the fights... it goes on and on. "Oh cool! Oh... everything is hostile again". If they only had three big settlements and a couple of "player housing" settlements they could have fleshed everything out so much more. The NPC's that come to your settlements could have had unique quests or dialogue. They could have integrated the settlements themselves into the story more if there weren't so god damn many of them.

The combat was a decent improvement over their previous games so it was fun to kill things, gather a bunch of junk, and build up your settlements. But they could have had compelling characters and interesting side quests in addition to that addicting gameplay loop. The really sad thing is that Bethesda makes this same mistake almost every single time. They get a cool, new idea working (Oblivion Gates, Dragons, Settlements) and then they overuse it at the expense of everything else. If I could whisper one word to the people making decisions at Bethesda, it would be "moderation".

Hmm I think I liked Cyberpunk more. But Fallout 4 I actually like a lot too.

The world itself in Fallout is better. Interactive NPCs etcs. Some of the set pieces. It feels like a lived in world. Cyberpunk feels much more scripted. And when you are off script, things can feel pretty dead.

Combat is better in Cyberpunk hands down. But this could be due to preference of FPS combat over RPG combat.

Visuals are better in Cyberpunk.

Story is better in Cyberpunk. Has actual actual acting and motion captures. Not just people standing/sitting and talking.

Music I would say is a draw. Fallout ia good at what it does with music as far as creating a mood. Cyberpunk is hit and miss on music. But when its good, it is effective.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
It sounds like people aren’t quite being fair to F4. Bethesda bugs are a problem, but they are great and building worlds and from what I’ve heard Cyberpunk’s world is more of a backdrop that you can’t interact with

anthraticus

Banned
Fallout 4 sucks just like Fallout 3 and any other shitty RPG Bethesda has put out from their buggy ass cake molds. And Skyrim is one of the most overrated games ever.
Daggerfall & Morrowind did at least show some promise and they weren't dumbed down to high hell.

It was after that where they really took a dump with Oblivious and started going hard after the casuals/non RPG fans.

Cyberpunk not being able to top F4, if true, would be a pretty sad statement....lol

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Bounced off FO4 as soon as it came to the building settlements shit

aint nobody got time for that GIF

About as welcome a feature as that ridiculous strategic warfare BS Ubi shoved into AC: Revelations.

RyRy93

Both are top 10 games of the gen to me (somewhere between 6 and 10), Cyberpunk is like an awkward hybrid of Watch Dogs and Fallout.

Weapon customization, customizable companions, AI routines, mods, settlement building and the density of content are things Fallout has going for it.

Characters are about equal for me but Cyberpunk 2077's seem to have a bit more depth. Also it generally has a more well thought out story, better level design, better combat and better graphics.

To answer your question:

Story - Cyberpunk 2077
Weapons - Fallout has a greater variety and they are customizable
RPG Choices - Draw
Exploration - Fallout 4

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Even the mods couldnt turn Fallout 4 into a good game for me. *lol*

So i will just go with Cyberpunk, its more enjoyable in the base version than Fallout 4 ever was.

Top Bottom