• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Oh man, I didn't know that Enhanced Lights and FX is out in an early version:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13596/?

13596-15-1485762667.jpg
13596-5-1485762669.jpg

13596-4-1485762669.jpg
13596-15-1485762613.jpg

13596-14-1485762613.jpg

Some of the interior lighting was awful so I'm glad that anamorfus is working on it.
Might give FO4 another run with Horizon and ELFX.

Okay, I have an issue. Since the Creators Update when I try to play Fallout 4 @1440p it's a weird colour - purple and green mainly. At 1080p it's fine. At 4K it's fine. It also happens with the benchmark for FFXIV Stormblood. Other games it's fine.
I have the W10 HDR off (even though my TV supports HDR) but I suspect it is something to do with that as I have had that same problem on Mass Effect Andromeda and HDR when sometimes it wouldn't play nice.
I've tried with HDR on in W10 and no dice. But why only 1440p? I really don't understand at all.

Oh man, I didn't know that Enhanced Lights and FX is out in an early version:

Some of the interior lighting was awful so I'm glad that anamorfus is working on it.
Might give FO4 another run with Horizon and ELFX.

Ugh. One thing I hate about these types of mods is they tend to make everything almost too dark because Bethesda relies on ambient lighting 100% of the time and they can't be bothered to add extra light sources.

Caio

I just started playing Fallout4 months ago, and I had to stop because of job, I had to move and no time to play. So, maybe I should wait for the Scorpio version, what do you think ? I hope it will be almost a remasterd Game, with mega textures pack, 4k, more geometry, better lighting and effects, etc. Any news about it ? Most probably all details will be revealed at this E3.

I just started playing Fallout4 months ago, and I had to stop because of job, I had to move and no time to play. So, maybe I should wait for the Scorpio version, what do you think ? I hope it will be almost a remasterd Game, with mega textures pack, 4k, more geometry, better lighting and effects, etc. Any news about it ? Most probably all details will be revealed at this E3.

Bethesda didn't release any information about a Scorpio update.
What you will automatically get with Scorpio is 4k resolution on a 4k screen or downsampling from 4k to a 1080p screen.

What's a good laser weapon? I'm mid-game and I have about 1000 cell ammo and I haven't liked any laser weapon. I was using Righteous Authority but I feel like it's too weak now. Even fully modded.

Van Bur3n

What's a good laser weapon? I'm mid-game and I have about 1000 cell ammo and I haven't liked any laser weapon. I was using Righteous Authority but I feel like it's too weak now. Even fully modded.

Honestly? I can't think of a single one. They're good in the early game but eventually get outclassed by plasma weaponry. Those should probably be your go to for energy weapons late game though.

Even then though, I can't help but feel energy weapons got shafted in this game.

Filben

Isn't it weird that this thread is dead but the Witcher 3 thread is still active?
One would expect more longevity from a Bethesda RPG.
It's not just sole quantity but quality that matters—something Bethesda probably don't get; thinking of those generic radiant quests. And for the quality any Bethesda RPG is beaten by The Witcher 3. Not disliking Fallout 3 or 4 though, which I have played over 100 hours each. No TES reached that play time for me, however.

As for The Witcher 3, I spend over 350 hours with the game (PC version) and addons without doing anything twice. Just doing things you can do in one playthrough. Started again with the PS4 to get the platinum trophy. Stopped right before the first visit of Skellige, started over NG+ on PC (couldn't bear the loading times and graphics compared to the PC version). This time I want to experience only the main quest with little to no side questing.

It's not just sole quantity but quality that matters—something Bethesda probably don't get; thinking of those generic radiant quests. And for the quality any Bethesda RPG is beaten by The Witcher 3. Not disliking Fallout 3 or 4 though, which I have played over 100 hours each. No TES reached that play time for me, however.

I have to disagree. The Witcher 3's radiant quests are terrible. Maybe they are more crafted but they are less interesting.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Recently got the "All Sugared Up" Trophy, thus ending this game on a 100% completion.
Then I did the "Open Season" quest to clean up Nuka World.
As a last action, I returned to Sanctuary, went to my old bedroom and slept for 24 hours.

A great game, can't wait for the next installment.

Sarcasm

Nothing can be something less interesting than 'go there, kill Raiders, get back. Do this another five times, please.'

Uh yes, follow spidey senses to complete. I couldn't get very far in Witcher.

Though that was mainly due to combat then the side/main stuff.

Filben

Uh yes, follow spidey senses to complete.
We should differentiate between gameplay level and narrative level. On gameplay level using these senses after following a quest marker is not different than following that quest marker since Fallout 3/Oblivion. In that sense, we talking about gameplay features that were introduced in almost any RPG after Morrowind (except from old school like RPGs like Pillars of Eternity and such). That doesn't make this feature any good or bad, I don't judge here, but just pointing it out. So arguing with that in favor of Fallout and against The Witcher won't work.

On an narrative level Witcher's contracts—that are categorized as radiant quests—offered some twists, now and then, and some simple decisions and a unique background to which Fallout's background of "you killed these raiders/collected these parts, but sadly it's not enough, please do this again and again" fall short. Adding some background besides 'it's for the big picture' wouldn't be that hard and would have increased the quality tremendous.

Then again you agree that you didn't get far mainly because of its combat, which is a complete different discussion we weren't having. We could go that route, of course! But I don't think it's leading to somewhere and my main purpose wasn't to deeply analyze both games and do a full comparison. Just pointing out a thing (among two or three others) I disliked in Fallout 4 and delivered an example that I find better in that regard. I could use other examples of RPGs that have done this better, Fallout 3 and New Vegas for instance, if we don't want to go that far away.

Option-

Just got a PS4 Pro and booted the game up... can anybody confirm that the framerate in the diamond city are (not the market, the city around) is at 10-15 frames after the pro patch?

The game looks good downsampled at 1080p but the framerate in this area switched from playable 25-30 on base ps4 to horrendous 10-15 fps......

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That area seems to have lower frame rates than the whole game no matter the platform. It's just a badly optimized area.

I never knew you could get Preston to wear a red dress. That changes everything.

The game is 999x more fun with mods. With all the mods I installed, game is light years ahead of vanilla version.

So the time has come to start a new character. I'm thinking Survival with the Horizon mod installed.

Anybody has recommendation for compatible/suggested mods? So far I'm marking Sim Settlements and the Raider Overhall

Kuntz

So the time has come to start a new character. I'm thinking Survival with the Horizon mod installed.

Anybody has recommendation for compatible/suggested mods? So far I'm marking Sim Settlements and the Raider Overhall

I started a new game with horizon and sim settlements. No other mods because I wanted the genuine experience. It's a brand new game (especially if you play at least on the recommended survival difficulty).

Be careful though : new horizonchanges made faction mods like raider overhaul imbalanced, and they won't be supported as of now.

Full Dialogue Interface and Unofficial Patch are essential.
True Storms is great.
I also really like VAFS - VaultTec Accelerated Focus System as an alternative to VATS (patch for Horizon here).
Survival Quick Save because saving by sleeping is stupid.

Be careful though : new horizonchanges made faction mods like raider overhaul imbalanced, and they won't be supported as of now.

It seems like as of Horizon ver v0.999e there is some sort of balance patch, do you know if it's any good or should I just no bother with it?

Full Dialogue Interface and Unofficial Patch are essential.
True Storms is great.
I also really like VAFS - VaultTec Accelerated Focus System as an alternative to VATS (patch for Horizon here).
Survival Quick Save because saving by sleeping is stupid.

All of them already installed, thanks!

Kuntz

It seems like as of Horizon ver v0.999e there is some sort of balance patch, do you know if it's any good or should I just no bother with it?

Latest version is v1.1.1 which overhauls NPCs and their carried weapons/armor, with their custom ranks, grenades and behaviours, as well as a new legendary system, I'd say go for it, unless you really want your raiders

I'd personally advise against quicksaving anywhere, yes it's annoying, but it adds a sense of dread / uncertainty / risk/reward factor I couldn't feel when playing survival with a "I can make mistakes and go back right before" mod.

A quick tip for horizon : unlock the brotherhood patrols asap, they will really help clean the commonwealth and make your traveling easier especially through dense zones with a lot of mutants. Also cargo bots, it's gamechanging.

Nothing can be something less interesting than 'go there, kill Raiders, get back. Do this another five times, please.'

Really? At least there is some joy in traveling an exploring. Witcher III: I'll arrive at a place looking for a woman that matches Yennifer's description. I save someone one or some thing, then they tell me they haven't a clue but go ask this other person. I ask that person, they don't know either but they know someone who does, but first I need to do a task.. Then I do it and they say "oh I heard the Witchers are terrible but you are so nice oh I really don't having anything that will help you, go talk to this person." Repeat for 10 hours. no change, no variration, the same thing over and over.

Filben

Yes.

If you don't feel joy at exploring in The Witcher III I can't argue against that. The game devoured over 350 hours of my time and not because of its story lenght.

As for your problems regarding the plot I'm here to help: You're about to find Yennefer and track her to the latest location. It is possible since Geralt is a pretty good tracker (also underlined on gameplay level). How do you track people when the trace leads to a town or village? You ask the locals. That's what Geralt does. He learns from a traveling merchant that Yennefer came through the garrison not far away. Geralt goes to that place and learns that she was indeed there. But the local lord have bigger issues in this region than your personal affairs so he will help you, If you help him. You do so, Geralt learns that Yennefer were heading to Wyzima. You're about to meet Vesemir in order to leave for Wyzima. Then, Yennefer is showing up for she heard there was a witcher in White Orchard and decided to meet you sooner than you will find her.

Then you learn that it is paramount to locate Ciri because ancient and dark powers are tracing her. To make matters more formal and complicate, the king—and her father—too wants you to find her. He already send his own men without getting word back from them. So he tells you the last location of his spy. So, again, Geralt is tracking down a person. You actually find his remains and hidden notes telling you that Ciri had contact with the local baron and a witch. You only clues. So Geralt starts to visit them.

That's pretty much plot at the beginning. If you don't find this interesting, you don't. Each to his own.

My original point, however, was I'd simply rather had less quests in Fallout 4 but more of the better ones. For every five radiant quests I'd prefer one intriguing one. Full stop.

Sarcasm

I can agree about Fallout 4 quests but I still rather play FO4.

W3 I couldn't even make it past the second town. Not only the combat was mundane, forced spidey senses turned me off. At least the side quests were mostly skippable because they were some MMO quality.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Summer sale means I finally picked up all the DLC. Going to give this a go again! Sorry for this question, but without digging through the entire thread....
  • What are the most basic "must have" mods?
  • Is there a good overhaul/bug fix patch?
  • I never cared about settlements, but do enjoy crafting armor and weapons, so if there are any reasonable ones for that...?
  • I'm going to grab True Storms, and I'm also looking at Wasteland Imports and Improved Map. Yay/nay?

Finally playing nuka world and it's not leaving a good initial impression on me to be quite honest. Outside of the main quest I've gotten two collectathon quests and 3 infinite quests back in the Commonwealth. Haha what

Especially since I'm playing through Wasteland 2 now.

Jacknapes

I got a supply line going between Sanctuary, The Castle, Sunset Tides and Abertany Farm. Just decided to build Vault 88 again, so might get a supply line going to Sanctuary. Have built various stores in Sanctuary, Sunset Tides and The Castle.

Decided to add a few mods so i can focus on playing the game, so have a mod which adds a lot of resources so i can build settlements without worrying about where to find certain materials. And i have one which added color back to the world too, which is nice.

Otherwise, i'm still plodding along exploring and doing various missions as i go along. Currently at Level 42.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Decided to install a bunch of mods and am loving the crap out of this game again. I put in an XP mod this time, too - 2x more XP and more bonus from INT. I don't really play Fallout for challenge...I play for the experience of exploring the wasteland.

I installed one location mod (Vault 1080), and it's definitely been interesting. I've got a bunch of ridiculous weapons already, so that's fun. But the interior lighting is blinding. I'll have to see if it's just this mod or if it's all locations. It fixes itself when I turn my flashlight on, but otherwise it's a nightmare.

Holy crap I did not realize how much this game would grab me. I always loved Halo's forge, but to be able to do that seamlessly, within the game world, and then populate and use the shit that I build??? I am basically playing Sim-Fallout right now and not doing quests and I cannot get enough.

Are there any other games with base building like this, as part of a larger game (i.e. Not Minecraft)?

Sarcasm

Somehow I got many hours in this without getting very far. So I decided to start a new survival run (modded w/ console access).

The weapon perks I can't wrap my head around, especially since you can mod weapons. You can make a pistol an auto so that is commando right? Or you can make it non-auto and that makes the pistol an rifleman?

I just typically use pistol, shotgun, and a sniper..what do I do? Also can you get everything you want or are you limited with what you can get perk wise?

Kind of forgot since I last played. Current character is:

Level 11

STR: 1
PER: 4 (6)
END: 5
CHA: 5 (7)
INT: 7 (8)
AGL: 5 (6)
LCK: 5

Lone Wanderer : 1
Sneak: 1
Aquaboy: 1
Action Boy: 1
Idiot Savant: 1
Chemist: 1

Trying to figure out what I want. Wondering if Idiot Savant is worth it or remove it (via console).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Somehow I got many hours in this without getting very far. So I decided to start a new survival run (modded w/ console access).

The weapon perks I can't wrap my head around, especially since you can mod weapons. You can make a pistol an auto so that is commando right? Or you can make it non-auto and that makes the pistol an rifleman?

I just typically use pistol, shotgun, and a sniper..what do I do? Also can you get everything you want or are you limited with what you can get perk wise?

Kind of forgot since I last played. Current character is:

Trying to figure out what I want. Wondering if Idiot Savant is worth it or remove it (via console).

You can eventually max everything. That's one of the reasons I put on a 2x XP mod - I want to be whatever I want without caring TOO much about my choices. I mean, it will be forever before I get to that point, but this freedom means a poor perk selection early on doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme. It's also why I mod my carryweight to +500-1000 because I HATE having to think about what I pick up, ha.

Sarcasm

You can eventually max everything. That's one of the reasons I put on a 2x XP mod - I want to be whatever I want without caring TOO much about my choices. I mean, it will be forever before I get to that point, but this freedom means a poor perk selection early on doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme. It's also why I mod my carryweight to +500-1000 because I HATE having to think about what I pick up, ha.

I am actually trying to find a good EXP mod, what do you suggest?

Filben

This is what I'm using. 2x XP with the 10% INT bonus.
Thanks from me as well since Fallout 4 is too much of a grind feast for me. Every level just one perk is nothing I really like in comparison to the old Fallout games with stats to increase with several points AND perks. So at least I can earn new perks a little bit faster in compensation of skilling my character the old, traditonal way.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks from me as well since Fallout 4 is too much of a grind feast for me. Every level just one perk is nothing I really like in comparison to the old Fallout games with stats to increase with several points AND perks. So at least I can earn new perks a little bit faster in compensation of skilling my character the old, traditonal way.

Glad to help. I know I could console my way to max level and shit, but growth is still part of the fun for me. So even though I went from level 3 to level 12 in one "dungeon", I still felt like I earned it.

I also grabbed a mod that turns a bunch of unique monsters into super ridiculous crazy hard enemies, so this XP mod will allow me to more quickly attempt to tackle them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks! Only need one right? 2x does the INT change too correct?

Yeah - when you install the mod (assuming you're using NMM), it will ask if you want the INT only option or the multiplier + INT option. The INT one is 10% bonus from INT instead of 3%, so it's hardly game breaking. In fact, that change seems like it should be vanilla considering FO3 and NV made INT a HUGE factor in your build considering it impacted skill points. The 2x base/kill just makes me feel like I'm unlocking stuff more regularly and give me more of a reason to explore and kill stuff.

Sarcasm

Yeah - when you install the mod (assuming you're using NMM), it will ask if you want the INT only option or the multiplier + INT option. The INT one is 10% bonus from INT instead of 3%, so it's hardly game breaking. In fact, that change seems like it should be vanilla considering FO3 and NV made INT a HUGE factor in your build considering it impacted skill points. The 2x base/kill just makes me feel like I'm unlocking stuff more regularly and give me more of a reason to explore and kill stuff.

Nah I don't have that many mods...I didn't use NMM.

Too late too though.

Or can I somehow import existing mods?

Top Bottom