• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas really do need to get Special Edition treatment like Skyrim.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One of my biggest hopes from Bethesda is that they would announce current gen versions of Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas complete with mod support like the Skyrim Special Edition. That obviously didn't happen, eventhough I am fairly certain the demand is there.

I know many who played the original Fallout 1 and 2 from PC, consider Fallout 3 and later to be an abomination, but there are many of us who's first exposure to the Fallout universe was Fallout 3 and that place holds a special place in our hearts. New Vegas came out two years later and for many is the best Fallout game. I personally agree.

Whenever those who prefer consoles express a desire to have a game from previous gen re-released one of the common phrases is: "Get it on PC" assuming the game has a PC release.

In the case of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, "get it on PC" actually isn't really good advice since the PC versions of these games are so poor, and they have issues running well on Windows 10. I reinstalled both and tried tweaks, patches, mods etc. and none of them would enable the game to run without crashing, locking up etc. They were a fucking mess. Maybe there is some special mod/patch out there that I missed, but I couldn't play either game without freezing and/or locking up. I even bought Fallout 3 on GOG and Steam and both had the same issues. In short, I, and am certain others would agree, no longer consider the PC version viable.

Because of that, I think giving at least Fallout 3 (and preferably New Vegas) the special edition treatment similar to Skyrim holds tremendous value. As someone who played Skyrim on PS3 and 360, as well as PS4 and X1X, I found the Special Edition to be a drastic improvement in terms of stability alone. Didn't get one crash on PS4 and X1.

There is tons of reason to believe the same team who ported (Canadian team?) Skyrim to current gen consoles couldn't do the same to Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas. Or have industry darling Bluepoint do it, after they get the Demon's Souls remaster completed of course!

Bethesda, re-release these games on current gen. These games are classics and badly need a slight modern touch.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I 100% agree, I really really want these. Don't need to update the graphics, just do the 60fps treatment and include all the dlc!

I'd buy them in an instant. I was really hoping they were going to announce them at e3.

I'm ok with an easy cash in on these ones.

Bluepoint after demon souls! We should be so lucky!

Last edited:
I'd get a New Vegas one for sure. I play a modded New Vegas and even though it looks nice

9Gn1gub.png

I messed up some of the texture mods and now all of my cactuses (cactii?) look like they're from Minecraft.

FO3 I'm not sure a SE would help.

I loved both games when they came out years ago, but I'd really need a graphics upgrade and solid mod support to buy them again (on PC).

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'd be game, up my New Vegas immersion, get some better animations in there. Improve the shooting, keep the superior RPG mechanics.
Consoles would likely get mod support as well, and on PC we'd probably see improved mod performance (as Skyrim SE did after Skyrim). I suppose due to being 64-bit? At least allows for players to game with *more* mods.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On that note, are there some tweaks that I might not be aware of to get it to run on Windows 10 better?

One suggestion is that it might be running off of intergrated Intel graphics, which I have a hard time believing since it was running at 4K....when it ran.

Last edited:
While I’d like a Switch version of Fallout 3, I’m not super pumped for anything from Bethesda anymore. Fallout 76 shows they really don’t care about the world of Fallout. They view the whole franchise as an aesthetic more than an actually setting. I don’t expect new Fallout from them for a long while. I’m sure Fallout 76 will get updates, but I don’t think they want to remind anyone of the previous games. Imagine trying to sell a limited version of NPCs in Fallout 76, when nearly every other game in the series has vastly better characters and stories.

A special edition of F3 is not really needed on consoles as it already runs at native 4k on the Xbox One X and looks great (YouTube videos don't really do it justice). If you're after a stable, vanilla playthrough of Fallout 3 then it's a great choice if you're experiencing issues on PC:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A special edition of F3 is not really needed on consoles as it already runs at native 4k on the Xbox One X and looks great (YouTube videos don't really do it justice). If you're after a stable, vanilla playthrough of Fallout 3 then it's a great choice if you're experiencing issues on PC:

It still has all the same issues of crashing and other crap.

I've never had any more issues running New Vegas or Fallout 3 on Win 10 than I did on my Xbox 360 or Xbone, though I own physical copies of both and run them heavily modded. I didn't realise people were still having issues with the old games on PC.

I highly doubt we'll see a Fallout 3 or New Vegas remaster from Bethesda any time soon if ever. If we did it would be on the same level as Skyrim SE and a resolution bump. Updated textures and some stability fixes.

Although they may not come out any sooner, both Fallout 3 and New Vegas are being re-worked by fans and have come a very long way. New Vegas even has several Obsidian devs that worked on New Vegas providing input to the team.

Capital Wasteland Project

Fallout 4 New Vegas

With the mods running the "new" engine and visuals from Fallout 4 the gunplay is better, sound will be improved, things like volumetric lighting and fog will exist, and geometry is significantly improved over the original set pieces. It would also mean many mods for Fallout 4 would be active by default including lighting mods and texture mods as the remakes both use a lot of stock assets. Right now Fallout 4 runs stable with the unofficial patch and a few other small mods that will be part of these mods. I'm nearing 400 mods currently and I haven't seen a crash in months.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've never had any more issues running New Vegas or Fallout 3 on Win 10 than I did on my Xbox 360 or Xbone, though I own physical copies of both and run them heavily modded. I didn't realise people were still having issues with the old games on PC.

I highly doubt we'll see a Fallout 3 or New Vegas remaster from Bethesda any time soon if ever. If we did it would be on the same level as Skyrim SE and a resolution bump. Updated textures and some stability fixes.

Although they may not come out any sooner, both Fallout 3 and New Vegas are being re-worked by fans and have come a very long way. New Vegas even has several Obsidian devs that worked on New Vegas providing input to the team.

Capital Wasteland Project

Fallout 4 New Vegas

With the mods running the "new" engine and visuals from Fallout 4 the gunplay is better, sound will be improved, things like volumetric lighting and fog will exist, and geometry is significantly improved over the original set pieces. It would also mean many mods for Fallout 4 would be active by default including lighting mods and texture mods as the remakes both use a lot of stock assets. Right now Fallout 4 runs stable with the unofficial patch and a few other small mods that will be part of these mods. I'm nearing 400 mods currently and I haven't seen a crash in months.

Don't hold your breath for any of these. Even if they do get finished, don't be surprised if Bethesda forbids their release.

Mods of old games pretty much never get released.

Fallout 3 wasn't great. Totally forgetable and pretty shit.

Dat linear metro system.

NV was more true to OG fallout; a main quest line that was meh, filles with hundreds of hours of aide quests, easter eggs and interesting characters.

I would prefer a new fallout game that isnte bland, broken or boring. One where the quest line isn't solved by "we can teleport". Dumbest shit I've seen in a fallout game.

Don't hold your breath for any of these. Even if they do get finished, don't be surprised if Bethesda forbids their release.

Mods of old games pretty much never get released.

I have higher hopes for these two projects than I do for Bethesda's own projects at this point. 76 was an asset swap shit-show, and Skyrim SE was pretty poor considering a handful of mods could not only make the original version look better, but run smoother as well. While it's true remakes don't usually happen these guys have been gong about it the right way since the beginning.

I've been following both mods for a while now and so far both mods are obviously significantly further along than anything Bethesda is working on. So despite being mods of Fallout 4, they are your best bet at playing a remastered Fallout 3 or NV at this time. Both already have all the menus built, sound design is finished, almost all of the items from FO3/New Vegas that didn't exist in Fallout 4 have been re-made from scratch, and in the case of Capital Wasteland they are pretty far along in re-recording all the voice dialogue. If Bethesda remastered Fallout 3 or NV, you can bet they wouldn't bother fixing the issues that plagues the game. The guys making these mods are more likely to do so.

If it ends up dust in the wind it likely won't be due to Bethesda. Bethesda already gave their blessing on Capital Wasteland and the team is in constant contact with Bethesda checking on various legalities and seeking permissions. Bethesda's legal team was even kind enough to advise the people making Capital Wasteland that they could face legal issues down the road if they re-used the voice acting. Having people like Liam Niessen in the cast didn't help. The project stalled for a bit because of that, and things went dark for a while, but the team wanted to finish what they started. Work has been progressing since they decided to re-do the voice acting.

Fallout 4 New Vegas is another thing entirely. But they have been in contact with people that worked on the original game. They are pretty far along as well with much of the overworld complete, and a lot of the interior cells complete.

Both teams are active on social media with a constant flow of updates. This just went up yesterday. If Bethesda had a clue they would be writing these guys checks right now in an attempt to save the franchise they've effectively run into the dirt.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I know many who played the original Fallout 1 and 2 from PC, consider Fallout 3 and later to be an abomination,
Honestly, fuck those people. I hate people who whine about games stepping into the modern era. Like people who bitch about Resident Evil 4, some of then still keeping it up 14 years later. Gameplay and game design that are shitty and outdated don't need to be perpetuated, but instead left behind.

I remember years ago now, GOG or a similar site gave away the original Fallout. I was excited to download it, with all I'd heard about how great it was. But you know what? It was hot ass. It might have been great for the time, but it hasn't aged well and shouldn't only be remembered through rose colored glasses. It has aged badly, and its world shouldn't be trapped in a time capsule of "the best that could be done at the time." Some things need updating, and if you can only stand to remember things as they were, don't try to convince other people that they have to suffer with you or be branded heathens.

Fox Mulder

Dat linear metro system.

NV was more true to OG fallout; a main quest line that was meh, filles with hundreds of hours of aide quests, easter eggs and interesting characters.

I would prefer a new fallout game that isnte bland, broken or boring. One where the quest line isn't solved by "we can teleport". Dumbest shit I've seen in a fallout game.

Bethesda isn't making a new fallout game you want any time soon with FO76 out and their next few games lined up.

FO3 wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than FO4.

Honestly, fuck those people. I hate people who whine about games stepping into the modern era. Like people who bitch about Resident Evil 4, some of then still keeping it up 14 years later. Gameplay and game design that are shitty and outdated don't need to be perpetuated, but instead left behind.

I remember years ago now, GOG or a similar site gave away the original Fallout. I was excited to download it, with all I'd heard about how great it was. But you know what? It was hot ass. It might have been great for the time, but it hasn't aged well and shouldn't only be remembered through rose colored glasses. It has aged badly, and its world shouldn't be trapped in a time capsule of "the best that could be done at the time." Some things need updating, and if you can only stand to remember things as they were, don't try to convince other people that they have to suffer with you or be branded heathens.

While I agree with you and do like the modern games (I have over 1500 hours in Fallout 3, NV and 4, each), I do see both sides. Fallout 3 was where the series first entered the modern era of voiced dialogue, and it really limited your options in the game as far as choice and character building goes, Fallout 4 took this even further with character building being almost non-existent. Modern Fallout also changed the gameplay entirely from an isometric RPG to a FPS/Adventure/RPG which was a lot to take in for some people. I jumped in with both feet, but I also find I'm a lot more open to big changes. Oblivion and Skyrim face similar complaints of being dumbed-down over the series before it, but going back to earlier games it's obvious they don't hold up in a lot of ways either. You're basically choosing between better gameplay/mechanics/etc or more rpg options with horribly dated visuals.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Dat linear metro system.

It wasn't perfect, but it was the game that got me into first person RPGs.

I really don’t see Bethesda releasing anything that might take attention away from Fallout 76. They’ve doubled-down on that project, and they want people to focus on that. If the new updates to Fallout 76 don’t bring in more players, then maybe they’ll scramble to release something. Until then, it’s Fallout 76 or bust.
This E3 was their chance to try and make good with the fans they lost, or who weren’t interested in Fallout 76 and Blades. They didn’t try anything. Bethesda didn’t even mention anything else. If I were you, I’d give up on Bethesda doing anything with anything pre-Fallout 76.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I really don’t see Bethesda releasing anything that might take attention away from Fallout 76. They’ve doubled-down on that project, and they want people to focus on that. If the new updates to Fallout 76 don’t bring in more players, then maybe they’ll scramble to release something. Until then, it’s Fallout 76 or bust.
This E3 was their chance to try and make good with the fans they lost, or who weren’t interested in Fallout 76 and Blades. They didn’t try anything. Bethesda didn’t even mention anything else. If I were you, I’d give up on Bethesda doing anything with anything pre-Fallout 76.
It might be time to start an online petition.

Those are super effective.....

<sigh>
not

Last edited:
Bethesda are on a downward spiral. The shareholders or something fucked them up hard!
I think Todd Howard summed up their view pretty well on that IGN interview. He said they wanted more touch points with their audience. He said Bethesda wants more interaction with players. Obviously that means increased monetization. I think Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Blades are creative endeavors, first and foremost. I honestly believe the games as a service trend, and the mobile trend are directions from Todd Howard. I think he assumed their fan-base would follow them and just buy whatever they put out. Even now, Todd Howard thinks their biggest mistake is communication. He doesn’t think there’s an issue with the product, just that Bethesda didn’t communicate what it was effectively enough.

JimmyJones

Banned
He doesn’t think there’s an issue with the product

That was my biggest issue with Bethesda's E3 conference. No one asked for Fallout 76. People wanted more single player Fallout the same as 3 and New Vegas.

I remember being hyped as fuck when I seen this trailer. When they revealed it was online multiplayer it completely killed any interest I had in it.

You're right though. All of this multiplayer crap is being forced on us so they can monetize it. They can't monetize single player games.

All of this multiplayer crap is being forced on us so they can monetize it. They can't monetize single player games.
I have my doubts Starfield is going to be a single-player game. I think Todd Howard is going to try again and Starfield is going to end up a GAAS product.

Hey Blinkin

Bethesda Softworks is far too invested into 76 right now, but the impression I got from their portion of E3 was that their future focus is going back to single player content.

They reminded us that ESVI and Starfield are in development and are giving everyone what they expected to be included in 76 with human NPC's.

I'd buy the hell out of a Switch remaster of 3/NV though.

Bethesda Softworks is far too invested into 76 right now, but the impression I got from their portion of E3 was that their future focus is going back to single player content.
I hope you're right, but with Blades and Fallout 76 being the current torchbearers of their premiere franchises, I have my doubts. I wonder if Bethesda will have the same level of success with Starfield that they've had previously? Say it's a return to a Fallout 4-styled, single player game, did they burn too many bridges at this point or is it a temporary dip? If Cyberpunk 2077 is as good as it looks like it's going to be, and The Outer Worlds gives people a Bethesda-like experience, Starfield is going to have a steep, uphill battle.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hope you're right, but with Blades and Fallout 76 being the current torchbearers of their premiere franchises, I have my doubts. I wonder if Bethesda will have the same level of success with Starfield that they've had previously? Say it's a return to a Fallout 4-styled, single player game, did they burn too many bridges at this point or is it a temporary dip? If Cyberpunk 2077 is as good as it looks like it's going to be, and The Outer Worlds gives people a Bethesda-like experience, Starfield is going to have a steep, uphill battle.
Starfield will sell just fine, but they do need to knock it out of the park.

Hey Blinkin

You're right. They'll absolutely have an uphill battle going forward and I kind've hope they do. Maybe getting knocked off their pedestal will motivate them.

While The Outer Worlds might not be as grand as a traditional Bethesda Fallout, I'd bet it'll be more enjoyable than 4 & 76. Cyberpunk will make Bethesda's recent output look like amateur hour.

They've ran out of goodwill and really need to come up with something impressive to earn it back.

HeresJohnny

You're right. They'll absolutely have an uphill battle going forward and I kind've hope they do. Maybe getting knocked off their pedestal will motivate them.

While The Outer Worlds might not be as grand as a traditional Bethesda Fallout, I'd bet it'll be more enjoyable than 4 & 76. Cyberpunk will make Bethesda's recent output look like amateur hour.

They've ran out of goodwill and really need to come up with something impressive to earn it back.

Agreed. Taking a shit in my own hat would be more fulfilling than what Bethesda has done this generation, whereas they used to be one of my favorite developers. It’s too bad hey had to focus on multiplayer trash instead of what they excelled at.

Here’s hoping for a return to form.

Except for the fact that the PC version is a mess which is what inspired this thread.

I've played Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition heavily modded on Windows 10, and i experienced no issue. I know Fallout 3 has received complaints from other individuals that had problems getting the game to work properly on Windows 10, but Fallout: New Vegas is much more stable on Windows 10. In the case of Fallout 3, i recommend these two guides (1 | 2) on setting up if you're experiencing issues. Also read this compendium of problem - solving solutions regarding Fallout 3 on Windows 10.

The GOG version should have been less of a problem to get it to run. I've had no problem getting it to run 'out of the box', and apparently based on other individuals on the site, it usually should work 'out of the box'. Did you delete every trace of Fallout 3 before you re-installed the game using the GOG version?

What i personally recommend, for starters, are these three mods for Fallout 3: GOTY Edition (GOG version):

Fallout Script Extender (FOSE)
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch
NVAC (will work for Fallout 3 as well)

Not that i'm implying you're lying, or that i'm undermining the gravity of the situation you're in. I'm not surprised that any video game may not universally function out of the gate, especially older titles, given the vast amount of diversity within software and hardware configurations.

I don't know how much work Bethesda would put into a hypothetical remaster. Would it be like Skyrim SE, a few graphical enhancements and mod support? Would it be an entire port to Fallout 4's engine? The more I think about a Fallout 3 remaster, the more I think it's not worth it for Bethesda. I just don't see the same company that released Fallout 76 taking the time and effort to make a high-quality remaster.

Xenon

I did a play through of NV on the X an it was so much better than how it looked on OG 360. Not nearly as good as FO3 with the 4k enhancement but still a major jump. I can see myself going on another run of New Vegas if the provie the patch but it just doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Top Bottom