• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout |OT| Party Royale (free on PS+ for August)

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm sorry but some gaming journalists are unbearable and amazingly unprofessional.

"I don’t see the game having the quarantine staying power of something like Animal Crossing unless developer Mediatonic adds dozens of challenges to prevent repetition. (Side note: the company’s overly thirsty social media presence almost turned me off to the game before I was able to play it, so engage with Fall Guys tweets at your own risk.) But for now, at least before Twitch’s most popular streamers ditch it and go back to Call of Duty, Fall Guys is the perfect game for a horrible moment in time."

What a bunch of joyless fannies.

G-Bus

Banned
It's fun in short bursts. The egg game crazy.

3 of us running for the crown, first guy misses it as it goes up and I was right behind the second guy the grabbed it. Soo damn close.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
This game needs a creation course/level. It would be amazingly good if it had that.

Something like Mario Maker, LittleBigPlanet or Dreams.

sixamp

The game is decent but it has a tremendous amount of bugs and glitches. Also there needs to be a level editor asap because the same damn levels are played over and over. If they don't update it with new content relatively soon this will.go stale

Arozay

I love and hate the game.

It's essentially a party game, so it has elements of RNG with the ragdoll, collision, projectiles and team balance. The timed rounds are frustrating because nothing matters outside of the last 30 or so seconds (other than the soccer game) so it devolves into hot potato. And Hexa-gone is probably the only skill-based final round.

I hope due to the simplicity of the game there are a ton of course updates, and it'd be nice if there were some variance in the main map segments, like snap maps.

Really liked the game to play with friends but we just can't play it. We can play like 1 time every 10-15 attempts......and plenty of time the server falls during a match. And it seems that the more people on the party, harder is to get in on a match. If the game doesn't get correct for yesterday they gonna fall, guys

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't like any of the levels where everyone crowds together. The physics go to shit and you basically can't move. The Tip-Toe Tile level is also awful, the amount of times I've been pushed off near the end and have no way to make it at that point is ridiculous. Hexa-gone level is great.

I want to see solo only servers and team only servers along with custom/private games like mentioned before.

Mojoraisin

Love the game. Laughed and cursed so much during my evening of playing it. Probably only rocket league that can challenge it for “fun-ness” in my the last 5 years of gaming.

Yes it’s sometimes just pure luck when you qualify but that just adds to the charm. It’s not meant to be for competitive play with uber skilled jellybean clan players.

nowhat

I've been visiting relatives this week - an annual tradition, something I can't seem to skip. And it's not like I'll be traveling abroad during my summer holiday this time around, what with the pandemic and all.

But in about seven hours I'll be back home. Looking forward to getting high as a kite and taking this for a spin, should be fun.

peronmls

Too many crashes with friends because servers cant handle the load. $20 bucks is steep for this game.

Last edited:

ancelotti

Stupidly fun game.

25 challenges seems pretty decent for launch, and there are a lot of opportunities for expansion. Seems like an obvious candidate to go F2P if they double down on the cosmetic options. Hopefully they can pump out new challenges, add some player options, and keep grinding out bugs. It's a great idea and I hope they can maximize on their early momentum.

PresetError

Neophyte
The more I play the less I like how other people play Fall Guys. Today I got grabbed hard at the freaking starting line. The amount of grabbing is getting ridiculous. But what I hate the most is players jumping senslessly across the map and making you stumble and fall. Collisions with other players in this game drive me crazy. They take everything away from player skill. You can time a jump perfectly but an ***hole bumps you mid air or falls over you and you're done. And I'm not even talking about trolls, although there is a lot of trolling in this game.

You know what's funny? Lots of Fall Guys players hate the See Saw stage and it's my favorite. No matter how many times other players screw me over people generally is so bad at it I always qualify. The stage I hate the most is Slime Climb, where you don't even need to race because almost always there are more qualifying spots than people finishing, but the pushing and grabbing and bumping make it so difficult to finish if you don't start ahead.

This is a general problem with the game (besides servers). Starting ahead of other players make the stages so much easy and the starting order is random. And then there are team stages where you depend entirely of the rest of the team you are assigned with, which is pure luck, but at least they are fun. But I don't see the fun in not being able to platform correctly because you are sorrounded by other players sucking at the game and dragging you with them.

Mojoraisin

The more I play the less I like how other people play Fall Guys. Today I got grabbed hard at the freaking starting line. The amount of grabbing is getting ridiculous. But what I hate the most is players jumping senslessly across the map and making you stumble and fall. Collisions with other players in this game drive me crazy. They take everything away from player skill. You can time a jump perfectly but an ***hole bumps you mid air or falls over you and you're done. And I'm not even talking about trolls, although there is a lot of trolling in this game.

You know what's funny? Lots of Fall Guys players hate the See Saw stage and it's my favorite. No matter how many times other players screw me over people generally is so bad at it I always qualify. The stage I hate the most is Slime Climb, where you don't even need to race because almost always there are more qualifying spots than people finishing, but the pushing and grabbing and bumping make it so difficult to finish if you don't start ahead.

This is a general problem with the game (besides servers). Starting ahead of other players make the stages so much easy and the starting order is random. And then there are team stages where you depend entirely of the rest of the team you are assigned with, which is pure luck, but at least they are fun. But I don't see the fun in not being able to platform correctly because you are sorrounded by other players sucking at the game and dragging you with them.
I think you’ve misunderstood what this game is about. If you can’t laugh at some of the randomness it’s probably not a Game for you. Perhaps they’ll launch a ghost run mode without collisions for the race stages and you can enjoy that.

Dthomp

I have almost all the same thoughts about Fall Guys. I hate the stupid trolling, been cost runs thanks to the stupid grabbing at the beginning. Cost me a final stage, made one mistake of being grabbed and the guy that got 1 step ahead of me got to the crown one step before me.

I also get the janky-ness of the game is kind of the draw but I find the bump physics awful. I can sit and play for an hour here or there, but when every run consists of me praying I don't get a team of morons every other game is tiring.

I love See-Saw, if you removed the grabbing I'd LOVE Slime Climb too. I had a stage 1 SC where only me and 1 other guy survived by the end and I got the dumb tail grab final against him. Luckily he had server issues I think, he ran straight into a wall, I grabbed his tail and it was over at that point. My least favorite stage (Cause I get it too much) is the Egg game. Too many times I get teammates who don't want to guard our eggs and it ends up empty and I get punished after dropping tons of eggs into the goal.

Half the races come down to whether you start in the front or the back, future stages need better development of the stage to cause players trouble to give players in the back a better chance to catch up.

PresetError

Neophyte
I think you’ve misunderstood what this game is about. If you can’t laugh at some of the randomness it’s probably not a Game for you. Perhaps they’ll launch a ghost run mode without collisions for the race stages and you can enjoy that.

No, I get it. It's a party game, not an eSport. The objective is having a good time. The problem is the way people is playing now is very different from the way people was playing a week ago. Racing stages were healthier and then you won or lost and that was fine. Now I spend most of the time in Fall Guys getting up after falling down and avoiding other people trying to ruin my race.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Its easy. I won like 18 crowns now? Spend 9 crowns on stuff. One epic set. Getting legrndary now. Won 3 crowns in a row.

Have won 5 so far today. 5 left for legendary set.

Edit: 4 now left lol

I willl try to get platinum trophy and then see what further updates bring

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I really enjoyed my time with it, brings the fun in a way that reminds me of older titles. The comparisons to Takeshi's Castle and MXC are apt and appreciated as those are among my favorite shows of all time (I still watch 'em). It was that comparison that got me to try the game. Thankfully I haven't encountered any bugs yet, and had plenty of laughs messing with people.

Hestar69

But you paid for PS Plus. You got nothing for free.

True. But I got ps+ to play games with friends,the free games area bonus.. I was also grumpy/sleepy earlier and my friends were winning and I was getting hosed. Thankfully after my post I won 4 games and felt better about the game lmao

Dthomp

Tile Game is beyond dumb, I wish this game had no team games, or teaming up. I've lost matches thanks to players not playing when they face their teammates or just quitting out. This has been a cute distraction, but I'm not sure this is gonna stick long term with big numbers. The jank is beginning to piss me off at this point....

cormack12

Gold Member
It's not a game to win, it's a game to have fun losing is the way I look at it. I've won three events so far in about a week. They're all pretty random. I dislike the pushing the ball as a team up the hill. It's annoying when you tumble into a crowd and just ping round but that's part of the chaos right. I don't find fruit chute any better/worse than seesaw or Royal Tumble. It's about 80% luck if you make it to the part of the game that requires skill.

nowhat

If you're the type of person who loses their shit over blue shells in Mario Kart, this game is not for you. But I've had fun thus far. Not every "level" works for me, but some are lots of fun, there's a lot of potential going forward. The MTXs are kind of in your face though, which I'm not a huge fan of (given that this is not a F2P title).

What this needs ASAP is a) invert-Y (like what the actual fuck) and b) local splitscreen, that would make so much sense.

nowhat

How do you play wiht invert Y? That's weird. Unless you're flying.
It's more "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"-kind of thing - I first got into "3D" (actually crude vector graphics) gaming with the likes of Gunship on C128, I just can't do otherwise.

But also from a tactile POV it makes sense to me. If you're using a mouse you're moving the cursor, so invert-Y wouldn't make sense. But on a controller, in first person the stick is like your neck. And in third, the camera stand. That's how I rationalise it anyway.

bitbydeath

Played it today and it’s fun aside from the levels being repetitive which they will hopefully fix in future. But my biggest gripe is the crown level. Racing 12-13 others is too many people for a final level. They should put a level before it and bring that number down to five-six tops.

I’ve reached it a bunch of times but the odds of winning when a lot of it comes down to chance is awful.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

It's more "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"-kind of thing - I first got into "3D" (actually crude vector graphics) gaming with the likes of Gunship on C128, I just can't do otherwise.

But also from a tactile POV it makes sense to me. If you're using a mouse you're moving the cursor, so invert-Y wouldn't make sense. But on a controller, in first person the stick is like your neck. And in third, the camera stand. That's how I rationalise it anyway.
This. I played local Halo DM with some students, and got frustrated as hell that they didn't use inverted-Y. I started off with flight simulators, and Quake/Duke Nukem. Me and my friends all played with inverted-Y, so we never had any problems swapping controllers in games like Goldeneye or Turok. I literally never knew anyone who didn't use inverted-Y. We used inverted-Y on controllers and mouse+keyboard. It was never even a question. I wonder if it's a generational thing. I feel like most young kids don't use inverted-Y.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Pretty good summary of the game. ;)

eOTM7wq.jpg

Vade

I hate the bugs and glitches. The sever issues and hiccups suck too.

Playing with a bunch of people in a room and just handing off the controller when someone loses made it so much better. It was /is dumb fun. Very rng based , but if you are will to not get frustrated from the dumb shit it will be a great time otherwise your blood pressure is going to skyrocket.

How they did not have at least 2 player co-op is beyond me. This is a party game without the party.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I think Fall Guys is pretty mediocre but I absolutely love seeing this. Games where a variety of skill levels can enjoy, and have success, are going to be big going forward.

Death to the 15 year old kid who drinks Redbull and thinks he should never be killed by a noob in a game ever!!

dorkimoe

The game looks amazing from the gameplay videos, but i would absolutely get LIVID playing this. I would break something

Top Bottom