• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom Teases Multiple Home Console Games Including New Trails Title Before September 2021

Bullet Club

Falcom Teases Multiple Home Console Games Including New Trails Title Before September 2021

Today the popular JRPG developer Nihon Falcom announced its financial results for the fiscal year ended on September 30, 2020.

Sales were 2,496 million yen (up 1.7% year-on-year) while operating income was 1,349 million yen (down 8.2% year-on-year).

While profit was down year-on-year, it was still the second-highest in the developer’s history, so it’s nothing to sneeze at.

During the current fiscal year (before September 30, 2021), Falcom will celebrate the 40th anniversary of its founding, and they plan to release multiple games for home consoles including the latest of the popular Kiseki (Trails) series.

Among the games already announced or released in the current fiscal year there will be discounted versions for Japan of Trails of Cold Steel III and IV for PS4, the overseas versions of Trails of Cold Steel IV, Trails of Cold Steel I & II for Switch for Japan, and the overseas version of Ys Origin, also for Switch.

The Asian market will get the Switch version in Chinese and Korean of Zero no Kiseki, Ao no Kiseki, and the four chapters of Trails of Cold Steel (which will also be released on PC).

Incidentally, the shipments of the Trails series is still billed at over 5 million units.

We hear that Falcom wants to pursue multiplatform (PS4, Switch, PC, and mobile) development targeting the worldwide market including Japan, North America and Europe, and Asia.

They also aim to continue creating games that will be new challenges while actively using owned IPs including the Trails series and the Ys series.

Source: Twinfinite

Haha no, that's the appeal of the Kiseki series.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I know the next game will most likely take place in the same continent. I just don't want another game where most of the cast returns from previous games. I want a new beginning like Cold Steel 1, with a focus on a new country and a new cast.
Edit: I'm okay with references to previous stories and characters cameos, but a Hajimari-like game is way overboard.

Last edited:
Hopefully they leave the previous storylines and characters behind and make a fresh start in a new setting.
After Hajimari no Kiseki, I imagine it could be the start of the Calvard arc but even that seems unlikely so soon.

Could be another spin-off, but maybe not connected to Cold Steel.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, honestly. They said something about taking a while to release a game on the new engine, so not sure if it's next year or the year after.

They used Phyre Engine for all their PS3 and PS4 games, even PC ports if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure Sony will update it for the PS5 (they're probably trying to push Unreal to developers now), so that might be a motivator for a custom solution.
No i think their new engine is just a modified version Phyre Engine like the engine the French dev Spiders uses (see Greedfall) and i honestly don't see them going from a free to use engine they can modify and use like Phyre to one where they have to pay royalties to Epic.

It's not like Falcom's games are selling 3 million + copies on each release.

manzo

YS X for PS5 and PS4. Leave the Switch port to Xseed or NISA or whatfucking ever 3rd party company.

Then we'll finally get an YS game that looks like a late-gen PS3 game.

Who am I kidding. If I see Unisuga as a composer, it gets my money. I don't care at this point anymore.

Hudo

No i think their new engine is just a modified version Phyre Engine like the engine the French dev Spiders uses (see Greedfall) and i honestly don't see them going from a free to use engine they can modify and use like Phyre to one where they have to pay royalties to Epic.

It's not like Falcom's games are selling 3 million + copies on each release.
This is my impression from the vague screens of Kuro No Kiseki and that ending movie of Hajimari as well. It's a modernized, modified Phyre engine. Changing to a completely new engine or coding one completely from scratch would be more trouble than it's worth for Falcom, especially if all of their tooling and asset creation pipelines are set up that way. I guess we will see gradual improvements over the years, where modules of their engine get rewritten. Slow evolution than one-step revolution is probably a better path for Falcom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom