• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Physical Releases (Disney SNES Aladdin & Lion King Collection)

ManaByte

I’m not one who has to have everything physical, I‘ll get whatever version of the game is cheapest. So on Black Friday I picked up the Aladdin and Lion King collection for $15.

Game arrived it today and I LOLed when I went to install it.

The disc only has 35MB on it, then it downloads the 2GB game. For those wondering why two SNES games are 2GB there are behind the scenes videos included.

Isn‘t this kind of trolling the people who must have a physical release, if the game isn’t really on the disc at all?

kingwingin

Nvm, stoping people from playing disc would be disastrous but there could be a first.

No idea why they would waste discs like this and not just have a download code

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Question:

What the game do if you don't download? What happens if you boot the disc without internet? Can you still play it normally?

Question:

What the game do if you don't download? What happens if you boot the disc without internet? Can you still play it normally?
The game isn't on disc at all. Just a file to download it over the net.

What a crappy practice.

This is happening more and more. Even JAPANESE studios releasing discs without the full game on them i.e. Sen IV.

Disc based games are either unfinished or "beta-testing". Collecting full games on physical media is dead. Bye bye games preservation.

Last edited:
Which version?
Anyway, that sucks, I got the Switch physical version and it includes everything on cart.

Also kind of ironic given it's usually the opposite......

If that was so, then Switch physical version wouldn't be complete either.
Wait what? Really weird the Switch version has it on the cart and the PS4 version doesn't.

The game is on the disc, what happened is that it downloaded a patch and only needed 35Mb of the disc.

If you remove the internet connection and re-install it will install 2GB. Only problem is that you won't have the latest version of the software.

Most of my fellow gamers have accepted the incomplete retail versions of games for almost a decade now. No wonder they can get away with horrid practices like this. If a game ain't complete and final, retail, you don't release it that way - period. That would be mine philosophy, but hey...

Vawn

Banned
Does this mean you cant buy these games used? Or are you able to download the game as long as you have the cartridge, even if someone else also already downloaded it?

I’m not one who has to have everything physical, I‘ll get whatever version of the game is cheapest. So on Black Friday I picked up the Aladdin and Lion King collection for $15.

Game arrived it today and I LOLed when I went to install it.

The disc only has 35MB on it, then it downloads the 2GB game. For those wondering why two SNES games are 2GB there are behind the scenes videos included.

Isn‘t this kind of trolling the people who must have a physical release, if the game isn’t really on the disc at all?
The game is on the disc, what happened is that it downloaded a patch and only needed 35Mb of the disc.

If you remove the internet connection and re-install it will install 2GB. Only problem is that you won't have the latest version of the software.

So which is it? Are the games not on the disc at all or is that 2GB download just a patch and the games can be played without having to download anything?

Mochilador

Amazing. The game size is 2GB and you still have to download it.
Why didn't they fit it on the disc? These are blu-ray discs, not regular cds.

There’s no way the game is just 35MB with all of the videos and extra stuff it has.
But what's in it for Disney? They're still printing a disc, the game can still be resold (There's no code that needs to be activated). I doubt they're skimping on a larger blu-ray disc; The game's files are tiny anyway. The Switch version is complete too. I don't see how this would benefit them at all.

Sounds to me like P PlayerReady is right. This probably isn't a case of the game not being on the disc, but rather one of another large update.

sn0man

N-Game Arts is a YouTube with no followers yet. He tries hard to cater to games people want to buy.

I have no affiliation but he bought capcom action belt based on my request to find out the games didn’t have the scan line patch on the Japanese version. Not a big deal to most but an omission I was a bit sad about.

if you have a YouTube account just comment on his latest video and see if he’ll test that Aladdin Lion king release.

also he’s tiny right now but been putting out videos for a couple years so if you are into supporting with a sub, give him a chance.

Last edited:

ManaByte

But what's in it for Disney? They're still printing a disc, the game can still be resold (There's no code that needs to be activated). I doubt they're skimping on a larger blu-ray disc; The game's files are tiny anyway. The Switch version is complete too. I don't see how this would benefit them at all.

Sounds to me like P PlayerReady is right. This probably isn't a case of the game not being on the disc, but rather one of another large update.

Disney isn't the publisher. It's some no-name named Nighthawk.

bellome

This should not be legal.

If I buy a license to use a software tied to a physical media it should work as it is.

Unless it is an online multi-player game obv.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This should not be legal.

If I buy a license to use a software tied to a physical media it should work as it is.

Unless it is an online multi-player game obv.

Unless the license to use the software states the game is not going to be on the disc, but on a server somewhere.

Saber

Gold Member

So you can play it normally without the download?

Then, it comes with a disc? Whos telling the truth around here?

Last edited:

ManaByte

So you can play it normally without the doenload?

Then, it comes with a disc? Whos telling the truth around here?

The Xbox installer shows what is installed from disc and from the internet. First time install was 35MB from the disc, and then it downloaded 2GB from the internet.

The Xbox installer shows what is installed from disc and from the internet. First time install was 35MB from the disc, and then it downloaded 2GB from the internet.
As I said turn off internet and re-install. It will install all from disc. Most game patches are quite large because of how dev's pack the game files.

The Xbox checks for latest version and will install the patch which is probably most of the game files because of the way it is packed. The game is on the disc just a buggy version of the software.

Top Bottom