• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake 120fps mode on Xbox Series X

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This link measures reaction time... that is unrelated to what I’m talking about.

Did you ever played different framrate after your eyes get used? Try playing in 120fps for some minutes and after lock the framerate in 80fps... you instantaneously will feel the is in slow motion.... the opposite too play a game for 20 minutes in 80fps and change for 120fps it will feel like fast-foward.

That happens until your eyes get used to the new framerate.... that take some minutes.

Consoles players with 60Hz display can try the test with different games... first play one for several minutes in 60fps and after shift to a 30fps game... it will feel again like slow monitor for few minutes (depend how much time your eyes adapt to it).

If you even shift between different framerate games in your play session you will understand what I’m talking about.

The shift from 120fps to 80fps is more noticeable than the shift from 60fps to 30fps.

Well even games with the same framerate where one has issues with framepace gives you that experience... I used to play Bloodborne and Destiny at same time, both 30fps but due the framerate issue with Bloodborne every time I shifted from it to Destiny I feel Destiny was in fast-forward.... that take some minutes to adapt and back to normal.

That happens even with 240fps or higher framrates.... it is the difference in framrates that create that sensation of slow-motion or fast-forward in games and not the reaction time.

The eyes will get uses for any framerate after some minutes.

I made a lot of test in the past because I was curious including the fact if you take some time before jump in the game you won’t have the same slow/fast sensation... for example if I play Bloodborne now and Destiny only after a few hour I won’t find Destiny being fast-forward.

BTW I believe it is a similar thing that happens when you go from a lighter room to a dark one... at first you seems to not see anything in the dark room until your eyes get used and you start to see everything in the room.

No.

A dual buffering drop from 60 to 30 will kill you.
The simple difference in frame time is so perceptible not even LFC or OC'd freesync will save you.

A freesync drop from 120 to ~90 will be imperceptible to mildly annoying.

So you saying 120 to 80 is worse than 30 to 60 is utter bullshit.

Im really starting to think you dont actually play games and just post garbage for shits and giggles or some other mental defect that forces your hands to the keyboard.

Dual buffer your PC at 60 itll drop to 30 whenever it cant make frames.
Then do the same with an RTSS macro for 120fps to 80fps.
Come back and tell me which was more jarring.

100% of normal people will immediately tell when frames have dropped because the frametimee effectively double when dual buffered at 60 to 30.
120 to 80 is ~4ms still perceptible for some but not anywhere near what the fuck happened to my aim levels as 60 to 30.

Get outta here man.

Stop bullshitting, you dont need to post if you dont know whats going on.

But do the test and comeback, and i challenge all who agree with this madman to try the test too.
A 30 to 60 drop is fucking madness, tis the reason games would rather tear than dual buffer.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Well, this forum has many weird habits, my friend here IntentionalPun IntentionalPun has one PS5 in one room and one another, with 2 xboxes as well. I think he also has a PC. Not judging but I don't get it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Also I have a gaming PC but I never game on it.:lollipop_downcast_sweat:
The series X was for playing in the living room and because I’m a geek for new tech lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The series X was for playing in the living room and because I’m a geek for new tech lol

Maybe it's time to add a new hobby to fill the void. Maybe photography? Drones?:messenger_winking_tongue: Or put that PC in crypto mining state when gaming on XSX to get some of that spoiled money back.:pie_moneyface:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Well, this forum has many weird habits, my friend here IntentionalPun IntentionalPun has one PS5 in one room and one another, with 2 xboxes as well. I think he also has a PC. Not judging but I don't get it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Also I have a gaming PC but I never game on it.:lollipop_downcast_sweat:
lol

I only have one XSX.. but have multiple gaming PCs.. and let's not get into past generation consoles lol.. you could play any Playstation game here natively, or any Nintendo game excluding NES/SNES, or any Xbox game..

My wife and I both game is a big part of it, that's why we have 2 of everything.... or 3.. since we have a workout room that I like to keep consoles in so I can play while doing cardio. And we have friends/relatives who play on Xbox, hence the need for Xboxs.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Maybe it's time to add a new hobby to fill the void. Maybe photography? Drones?:messenger_winking_tongue: Or put that PC in crypto mining state when gaming on XSX to get some of that spoiled money back.:pie_moneyface:
Yeah a new hobby would be nice 🙂
Mining I’m not sure, don’t want to put that kind of strain on my PC yet.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
lol

I only have one XSX.. but have multiple gaming PCs.. and let's not get into past generation consoles lol.. you could play any Playstation game here natively, or any Nintendo game excluding NES/SNES, or any Xbox game..

My wife and I both game is a big part of it, that's why we have 2 of everything.... or 3.. since we have a workout room that I like to keep consoles in so I can play while doing cardio. And we have friends/relatives who play on Xbox, hence the need for Xboxs.

You only need one kid, only one to ruin your wonderland. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Riky

$MSFT
IX3TX17.jpg
UuSZGwX.jpg

It just depends on the developer.

Valt7786

or maybe he spends his hard earned money how he wants? Can smell the jealousy leaking out of your posts man.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just for the kicks I connected my 3090 to my 1080p 240hz monitor. That smoothness 🥴🥴

You like the "working" stance? If I ever decide to play on my PC it'll be from my recliner chair with the TV (that I'm using anyway for my PC). :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
No.

A dual buffering drop from 60 to 30 will kill you.
The simple difference in frame time is so perceptible not even LFC or OC'd freesync will save you.

A freesync drop from 120 to ~90 will be imperceptible to mildly annoying.

So you saying 120 to 80 is worse than 30 to 60 is utter bullshit.

Im really starting to think you dont actually play games and just post garbage for shits and giggles or some other mental defect that forces your hands to the keyboard.

Dual buffer your PC at 60 itll drop to 30 whenever it cant make frames.
Then do the same with an RTSS macro for 120fps to 80fps.
Come back and tell me which was more jarring.

100% of normal people will immediately tell when frames have dropped because the frametimee effectively double when dual buffered at 60 to 30.
120 to 80 is ~4ms still perceptible for some but not anywhere near what the fuck happened to my aim levels as 60 to 30.

Get outta here man.

Stop bullshitting, you dont need to post if you dont know whats going on.

But do the test and comeback, and i challenge all who agree with this madman to try the test too.
A 30 to 60 drop is fucking madness, tis the reason games would rather tear than dual buffer.
Just do the tests I have explained and you will understand.

- Play a game in 120fps for 30 minutos, in sequence play a game in 80fps.

Wait some hours.

- Play a game in 60fps for 30 minutes, in sequence play a game in 30fps.

The first 120 to 80 will feel more slow down than 60 to 30.

I already did all these tests in 2014 because I was curious how the different framerate changes makes I feel the game being fast-forward or slow-motion for some type until your eyes adapts to the new framerate.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
You like the "working" stance? If I ever decide to play on my PC it'll be from my recliner chair with the TV (that I'm using anyway for my PC). :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
It’s good for Playing MP since your closer to the monitor but I do miss my recliner when playing SP...🥺

Black_Stride

Just do the tests I have explained and you will understand.

- Play a game in 120fps for 30 minutos, in sequence play a game in 80fps.

Wait some hours.

- Play a game in 60fps for 30 minutes, in sequence play a game in 30fps.

The first 120 to 80 will feel more slow down than 60 to 30.

I already did all these tests in 2014 because I was curious how the different framerate changes makes I feel the game being fast-forward or slow-motion for some type until your eyes adapts to the new framerate.

Ive done them.
Ive even done 144/72 when testing double buffering.
60 to 30 is worse than 120 to 80 10 times outta 10.
Hell with a 144hz screen 48hz is 10times smoother than 30fps on a 60hz screen.

You are still talking shit.

How does the maths workout that a higher frametime difference feels better than a sub 5ms difference?

But its ethomaz im talking about logic doesnt apply.
that-season-im-out-meme-1024x639.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It’s good for Playing MP since your closer to the monitor but I do miss my recliner when playing SP...🥺

You can use your recliner even when playing MP. You'll adjust and there are some plates/portable tables that you place them on your thighs and enjoy your keyboard and mouse. Also manual recliners are cheap and light weight so you can move them around if you shift from SP to MP mode. :messenger_winking_tongue:

DSC-4172.jpg

That funny pillow is made for pregnant women to hold their sleeping position, and that other pillow is known on planes as well, lol, from my honeymoon in Malaysia.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

ethomaz

Banned
Ive done them.

How does the maths workout that a higher frametime difference feels better than a sub 5ms difference?

But its ethomaz im talking about logic doesnt apply.
that-season-im-out-meme-1024x639.jpg
I’m pretty sure you didn’t because you should be found what I said is true.

And I never talked about frametime or even response time... just the sensation of slow-motion and fast-forward created from abrupt change in framerate.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

And I never talked about frametime or even response time... just the sensation of slow-motion and fast-forward created from abrupt change in framerate.

framerate and frametime are intrinsically connected.
Framerates are too average to accurately use when discussing smoothness especially as we climb in framerate.

As for the sensation of slow/fast motion its impossible for a 16ms change to feel faster than 4ms change.

As for what you said about double buffering from 60 to 30 feeling better than 120 to ~80?
hb7f5Uj.jpg

dont @ me this discussion is going nowhere.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Then you haven't tried 120+ fps.

With an avg of 144 fps and g sync on i can literally see 60 fps stutter.

i have a 144 fps gsync monitor and a LG CX hooked up to my PC. Try v syncing something to 30 fps and flipping it back to 60, then tell me that is less noticeable than 120 to 80. It’s not even close.

Last edited:

cyen

Please stop. Either you never played on an 144hz monitor (not even talking about gsync or freesync) or you are lying on porpuse.

The drop from 60 to 30 is a magnitude of times worse than from 120 to 80, not even taking into account on how those fps translate into gameplay.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
i have a 144 fps gsync monitor and a LG CX hooked up to my PC. Try v syncing something to 30 fps and flipping it back to 60, then tell me that is less noticeable than 120 to 80. It’s not even close.
I think I got confused by your comment.

We do agree that 30 to 60 fps is like going from stutter to acceptable, while 80 to 120 fps isn't as noticeable, right?

I thought you meant the over way around.

Ive done them.

Hes just trolling. You're right the difference from 30 to 60 is so massive, as is going from 60 to 144, but then from 144 to 240 it is actually tiny in comparison. You explained it well on last page.

This channel has some good tests [notice how going above 144 fps latency reduction is starting to get really tiny] At 6:50:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think I got confused by your comment.

We do agree that 30 to 60 fps is like going from stutter to acceptable, while 80 to 120 fps isn't as noticeable, right?

I thought you meant the over way around.

yea we are in agreement. looking back at my post it was worded confusingly but to be fair that’s what i get for arguing with ethomaz.

Last edited:
Top Bottom