• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairy Tail |OT| In a land far far away...

mcz117chief

In a land far far away, lies the kingdom of Fiore, a small peaceful nation of 17 million and a place filled with magic. Found in every home bought and sold in every marketplace, for most magic is only a tool, a mundane part of everyday life. For some, however, magic is an art and they devoted their lives towards its practice. These are the wizards, banded together into magical guilds they use their skills in search of fame and fortune. Many such guilds dot the landscape of Fiore, but there is a certain guild in a certain town that soars high above the rest, one from which countless legends have been born, a guild that will no doubt continue to create legends well into the future. Its name is...

5uTXRyK.png

Fairy, where are you going
光 全部集めて 君の明日照らすよ

click here for the original opening

RG2VNkm.jpg

Fairy Tail is a popular Shōnen manga/anime series originally released in 2006. It follows a group of magicians/warriors with shady/tragic pasts who are brought together by a single man, mr. Makarov (in the above picture, it is the small, bearded, old man sleeping on the left side of the picture). Think of the guild like an orphanage of a kind, most everyone who is part of the guild either has a dark history, secret or very unfortunate events after which they were found by Makarov or found their own way to the guild. The members of the guild form parties and venture on all sorts of quests in search of fame, fortune, glory, to show everyone how strong they are or to help others in need.

Each member of the guild uses different magic. Some use classics like ice, fire, thunder, water etc. others use very specialized like pict magic (you paint something on a canvas and it materializes), summoning magic, transformation magic (stealing souls from monsters and then infusing them with your own), knight magic, gun magic etc. etc. etc.

It is a very lighthearted series about friendship, doing what's right and having faith in the people you love with a lot of silly characters and plots but also very emotional encounters and moments. Fairy Tail holds a special place in my heart as the first season is one of the most fun I have ever had watching an anime. The manga books are very good too and I wholeheartedly recommend both.

CsiYU1c.jpg

It is very simple. You have your party of 5 characters who come to Mirajane, who is the guild secretary, bartender and administrator all in one, and take quests from her (here in the image is her sister Lisanna, Mira is the one with the long hair on the left).

jiN3d8P.jpg

You then leave the guild and go to the map screen.

fOqPqXh.png

Once at your destination you can move around, collect items, fight monsters and do quests.

BNkrWQy.png

Battles are turn based. The game is made by Gust so there are a lot of similarities between this and the Atelier Series. Basically you take advantage of the enemy's weaknesses and guard your own from being exploited. After each battle you get XP, to level up, and rewards. Pretty standard stuff really. You have a power gauge which can be used to perform super moves or a "unison raid" which is a combination attack with another wizard usually with complimentary magic (ice and water for example). These are extremely powerful and appear quite rarely even in the manga/anime. To initiate a unison raid both wizards have to be "in tune" with one another, strong affections are the most common way to achieve this.

QyZuXNH.png

all images are from the dualshockers.com's preview of the game.

OGZ5ulO.jpg

So what kind of characters are playable in the game? Probably a few but I will give you the rundown of the most important ones, the 5 you will most likely start with.

4tILvot.jpg

Natsu Dragneel is a Dragon Slayer. Those are the magicians who were taught by dragons how to slay other dragons. He uses fire magic and focuses mostly on melee attacks. A very kind and loving goof who makes fun of everything, but can take things seriously if need be. Usually he is the one who takes charge of the situation not because he is good at planning or leading, but because others enjoy his insane ideas. Natsu also has a flying cat companion called Happy, who Natsu found as an egg. He spends most of his day wondering what else is there to eat or who to challenge to prove his strength.

WVeJJ45.png

Lucy Heartfilia became one of Natsu's best friends after he saved her (partially) from a pirate rapist in the 1st episode. Since then they have been inseparable. Lucy really likes Natsu, but he is too dumb to notice or pretends he doesn't. She uses Celestial keys to summon powerful spirits of the Zodiac to fight for her (like a Pokémon trainer). A charming, caring person, who isn't afraid to use her womanly attributes to get her way. She also uses a whip so one of her spirits called her dominatrix, much to Lucy's dismay. She spends most of her time wondering how she is going to make rent money each month, since she lives in a big apartment by the river, or she is writing novels.

UN9ZVg6.jpg

Grey Fullbuster is an ice wizard who hates heat so he undresses often. He and Natsu have a love/hate relationship. He is the polar opposite of Natsu. Natsu calls him exhibitionist, Grey calls him idiot, the usual stuff. Calculating, careful and always trying to find optimal solutions to problems but even he can succumb to emotional outbursts, usually when Natsu is around. So in the end, they are more alike than might seem at first glance. A water wizard, Juvia, is madly in love with him but the feelings aren't mutual. Nevertheless, he respects Juvia a lot and often teams up with her. Grey enjoys ice sculpting and chilling with his buddies.

5XAyC2t.jpg

Wendy Marvel is also a Dragon Slayer like Natsu. She uses Sky Dragon magic (wind). A very kind, gentle and shy girl who's lack of experience often times leads to her losing her composure and focus. Nevertheless, if she is properly guided she can utilize very powerful attacks, rivaling those of Natsu himself. Wendy also has a flying cat companion, Carla.

0z3JCKU.png

The strongest female member of Fairy Tail, the queen of the Fairies, Erza Titania Scarlet. She is a warrior mage who uses martial skills to defeat her opponents. She can switch weapons and armor during battle as many times as she wishes to exploit any weaknesses that she can find in her opponent. She often uses swords, but can use spears, axes, pole-arms, shields, bows or even just her fists. Hard to approach and generally feared by most members of the guild, she is actually very kind (in her mailed-fist-"patting" kind of way) and is willing to sacrifice herself for anyone in Fairy Tail. In her spare time, she enjoys reading erotic literature.

N5nMqGI.jpg

• Official website: FAIRYTAILGAME.COM
  • Platform: PlayStation®4 / Nintendo Switch™ / Steam®​
  • Category: RPG​
  • Voice: Japanese with English or French subtitles (PS4/Nintendo Switch) and English, French, Chinese and Japanese on Steam​
  • Release: 7/31/2020 (PS4/Nintendo Switch) and 7/30/2020 (Steam)​
  • The game has a standard and digital deluxe editions with bonus items and costumes​
System Requirements (Steam™)
  • Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 4460 or over​
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM​
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 over or 1280x720 over display​
    • DirectX: Version 11​
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection​
    • Storage: 10 GB available space​
    • Sound Card: 16 bit stereo, 48KHz WAVE file can be played​
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4770 or over​
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM​
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 over or 1920x1080 over diplay​
    • DirectX: Version 11​
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection​
    • Storage: 10 GB available space​
    • Sound Card: 16 bit stereo, 48KHz WAVE file can be played​

I hope you guys have a lot of fun with this. I have been looking forward to a big budget Fairy Tail game since I started watching the anime. Here's hoping it is good! :messenger_beermugs:

Pejo

Oh nice, I was wondering if anyone would make an |OT|, I was considering it.

I picked this up last night, and it's pretty enjoyable. I've been a long time FT fan though, I'm not sure people without interest in the series would find it to be worth it, especially at 60 bucks.

Also, for those interested, there's already DLC planned (I think for next week) for the Strauss family and Lyon. There's a good chance that Gust is gonna milk costumes and characters for quite a while.

mcz117chief

About to start the game. From the reviews it sounds decent

The main issue is that everyone said that it gets repetitive

I read on Steam that it is almost unplayable on PC without a controller and the port in general is pretty meh, I myself am waiting for the physical copy, which will come on the 7th so you guys will have a week advantage on me :D

I don’t know anything about the series, but I have the Switch version coming tomorrow.

It is fantastic and lovely, give the OT a quick read and look at the opening I linked to get the general idea behind it.

Also, for those interested, there's already DLC planned (I think for next week) for the Strauss family and Lyon. There's a good chance that Gust is gonna milk costumes and characters for quite a while.

Playable Mirajane would be pretty great, I don't care too much about Elfman or Lisanna though.

Last edited:

Pejo

I read on Steam that it is almost unplayable on PC without a controller and the port in general is pretty meh, I myself am waiting for the physical copy, which will come on the 7th so you guys will have a week advantage on me :D
Oh yea, the performance on PC is pretty bad right now. The only way to launch the game in 4k is to let it crash and wait 10 minutes for it to finally load, and then going in and modifying the .ini file to actually hit 4k resolution.

Good news is that the game is made on the same engine as Ryza, so modders are already hard at work at fixes and lewd mods.

Playable Mirajane would be pretty great, I don't care too much about Elfman or Lisanna though.
Mirajane is actually in the base game, I was a little off, it's Elfman and Lisanna, with Lyon and Levy for the upcoming DLC. Here's the full list of playable and announced (for now).

Playable Characters
DLC Playable Characters

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Awesome! None of the DLC characters interest me though. Lyon is just Grey but worse, Levy doesn't really do much, Lisanna just turns into animals and Elfman has his beast form and nothing else really interesting. What would be cool is if they added Mystogan ;) he is among my favorite characters. So criminally underused and yet so extremely badass.

Pejo

Awesome! None of the DLC characters interest me though. Lyon is just Grey but worse, Levy doesn't really do much, Lisanna just turns into animals and Elfman has his beast form and nothing else really interesting. What would be cool is if they added Mystogan ;) he is among my favorite characters. So criminally underused and yet so extremely badass.
Yea unfortunately we're already past the part in the story where he's featured. You'll have to settle for punished Jellal.

Bkdk

Only watched a few episodes of the fairy tail anime and never a fan of the series nor character art, but about to play this anyway, hopefully it will offer some ok fun.

mcz117chief

Yea unfortunately we're already past the part in the story where he's featured. You'll have to settle for punished Jellal.
Jellal is such a cry baby though, to quote Tommy Sherman from Daria "You're one of those misery dudes, always moping about what a cruel world it is, making a big deal about it so people won't notice that you're a loser." I really dislike his ass. Maybe he gets better later on but I couldn't stand him as far as I have watched.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Lisanna's takeover animal soul has versatility, but her power has always been eclipsed by her siblings.

Being able to turn into mythical animals like a
9-tailed fox
however is one possible way to narrow the gap.

Last edited:

Pejo

Jellal is such a cry baby though, to quote Tommy Sherman from Daria "You're one of those misery dudes, always moping about what a cruel world it is, making a big deal about it so people won't notice that you're a loser." I really dislike his ass. Maybe he gets better later on but I couldn't stand him as far as I have watched.
No he most certainly does not. He even aggravates fans more because Erza basically throws herself at him multiple times but he keeps turning her down because of "I don't deserve to be happy" bullshit.

I would recommend skipping the final season of the anime to anyone that liked the earlier stuff. It has one of the least satisfying ends to any anime I've ever watched that actually had an end and just wasn't abandoned. It wasn't even one of those artsy bittersweet endings, just a wet fart.

Pejo

So I have been grinding out quests to level up some characters and get their bonds raised. What's the quickest way to level bonds? Is it just by fighting monsters or do you have to finish a quest and turn it in to get bond points? It's a little unclear.

Shantae

Banned
EeLuMScUMAAz5GE

EeLuMSLVAAEB1nX

I don't know anything about this series, but I was looking at twitter, and I saw these screenshots, *sees sexy anime lady* and I'm thinking "Should I be watching this series?"

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
EeLuMScUMAAz5GE

EeLuMSLVAAEB1nX

I don't know anything about this series, but I was looking at twitter, and I saw these screenshots, *sees sexy anime lady* and I'm thinking "Should I be watching this series?"
That looks rough.

This is a 2015 Gust game.
NightsofAzure_Event01.png

Shantae

Banned
That looks rough.

This is a 2015 Gust game.

Well the screencaps I used are from the Switch version. They are actually portable mode as well, so they're lower resolution than they would be in docked.

Your image from Nights of Azure is a PS4 or PC game at least, because there was no Switch version of the first game.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well the screencaps I used are from the Switch version. They are actually portable mode as well, so they're lower resolution than they would be in docked.

Your image from Nights of Azure is a PS4 or PC game at least, because there was no Switch version of the first game.

You do know NoA's ps4/pc version is mostly based on the Ps Vita port right?

Graphically it is at ps3 levels so that should not matter. It just looks like they used heavy cell shading on the ps4 version. After BR/Ryza I thought they were going to try a bit more. But I still see the same npc in every town, recyclable monsters ect. That's just Gust being Gust though. The fact it is running at 30fps on the anything is miracle considering their past games. Is the OST for the game up? They usually nail those.

blue-reflection-ps4-review-cracked-mirror-4.jpg

This is a Gust game from 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I wouldn't recommend the Switch version. It is constantly dropping frames even when just moving around or rotating the camera. The game is very choppy and slow at all times. I'm not normally sensitive to frame drops, but I constantly notice it here. Docked seems worse then handheld. They really need a patch to fix this.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I wouldn't recommend the Switch version. It is constantly dropping frames even when just moving around or rotating the camera. The game is very choppy and slow at all times. I'm not normally sensitive to frame drops, but I constantly notice it here. Docked seems worse then handheld. They really need a patch to fix this.
That's a bummer...but I guess it saves me money.

I have no familiarity with the source material, but I'm always on the look out when new Switch games come out simply because so many because rare like instantly. Then prices go up rather than down, so it's constantly feeling like "if I don't get it now, then I'll pay more if i want it later" I don't know if that's gonna happen with this game, so I'm still on the fence about it.

JordanN

Banned
EeLuMScUMAAz5GE

EeLuMSLVAAEB1nX

Back in 2010, I watched the first 100 episodes thinking it made a good substitute for One Piece.....

And I was terribly terribly wrong.

But yeah, the show's real appeal is character design. They admit as much when their first straight to dvd movie was "Sexy Cat Lucy".

LZPksh1.jpg

Shantae

Banned
Back in 2010, I watched the first 100 episodes thinking it made a good substitute for One Piece.....

But yeah, the show's real appeal is character design. They admit as much when their first straight to dvd movie was "Sexy Cat Lucy".

LZPksh1.jpg
giphy.gif

Malakhov

Banned
I'm 12 hours into the game right now. Started watching season 1 of the show as well and it's incredibly funny, never thought I'd enjoy this

FStubbs

LZPksh1.jpg

Lucy's always been a cheesecake fanservice character. In the Arbalest arc, the other characters face challenging brutal battles. Lucy? She gets a "naked battle" in a bathtub against another fanservice character.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Lucy's always been a cheesecake fanservice character. In the Arbalest arc, the other characters face challenging brutal battles. Lucy? She gets a "naked battle" in a bathtub against another fanservice character.
That is also because she is generally incompetent. Her spirits are pretty weak in comparison to other characters. That said, I only watched to the Grand Magic Games and not much further so maybe she gets a powerspike later but until then she was usually dependent on incredible luck, plot devices and her friends.

LordCBH

I’m absolutely loving this game so far. Shame they didn’t get the English cast for this considering the popularity of the show, but oh well. Maybe they’ll end up patching it in months later like MH:Ones Justice 2 did. I can only hope.

Malakhov

Banned
To answer my own question, I got to chapter 9 and it says final chapter. I know there is an epilogue since it is required for an upgrade

Last edited:

PaulBizkit

My history with Fairy Tail consists in reading the first arc, back in 2011, and kinda liked it. It turned me off how "generic" it all felt, with the MC being an energetic dumb kid that uses fire, the rival was Ice Sasuke and the setting didn't quite resonated with me.

HOWEVER, when this game was announced, my first reaction was "an RPG?? amazing!", because they could've just make a musou with a fairy tail skin and call it a day. But no, they actually made something that looks like it has some effort put into.

Malakhov

Banned
I'm at the epilogue right now. Fun game but it does get repetitive, it's so easy being overpowered there isn't any real challenge so far.

FStubbs

That is also because she is generally incompetent. Her spirits are pretty weak in comparison to other characters. That said, I only watched to the Grand Magic Games and not much further so maybe she gets a powerspike later but until then she was usually dependent on incredible luck, plot devices and her friends.

The character who challenged her to a naked battle in a bathtub is one of the strongest characters, but also extremely lazy and unmotivated. She got a power spike but she's still way behind the others. Natsu, Erza, Gray, and Wendy got huge power boosts.

Shantae

Banned
I was just looking up stuff about the series, and came across this gif.

HighlevelGrandBlackpanther-small.gif

I'm not even a foot fetish person, and even I'm like...dayum

Top Bottom