• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fails of 2022: the Nintendo Switch really showed its age

tusharngf

The Verge : "We’ve had five years of great games and sluggish performance. Nintendo’s console is pulling in the opposite direction of its software, which is bigger and better than ever before"

226437_M_Huigen_year_nintendo_switch_shows_its_age.jpg

The Nintendo Switch’s lousy performance is as enduring as the console itself. Grainy, stuttery graphics are synonymous with playing games on the 2017 system, which hasn’t gotten a spec upgrade to boost how games look and run. And in the five-plus years since the Switch was released, remarking on disappointing visuals has been a fixture in our reviews of the console’s best games.

The Switch’s hardware is pulling in the opposite direction of Nintendo’s modern software, which is bigger, better, and more ambitious in scope than ever before. And yet, its strategy of supporting a low-powered device that gets slowly updated is no different for the Switch than it was for Nintendo’s previous consoles. This long-tail strategy has been successful for Nintendo financially, especially so for the Switch, which is one of its best-selling consoles ever. But we’re past due for an updated model.

After five years, it’s time for a more powerful Switch that can erase some of these past and future issues with a faster chipset capable of displaying games in 4K. There have been rumors of such a device, and its launch was reportedly postponed due to the chip shortage caused by the coronavirus pandemic. All that we’ve gotten is an underwhelming Switch OLED that has a better, slightly bigger OLED screen with similar internal specs and little else to tempt current owners.
Continuing to sell the Nintendo Switch with its current specs is one of the biggest tech blunders of 2022 — not least because Nintendo’s inaction let other devices steal a sliver of the spotlight.

Full article : https://www.theverge.com/23473152/nintendo-switch-console-games-performance

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
It has been a portable from day 1 that people now want to play home console games on.

Since when are laptops on par with a desktop?

It was always going to be limited from day 1.

How can AAA exploding budgets be a problem and the Switch power also be a problem in the industry?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The Nintendo excuse is so fucking weak and over used, every god damn generation we have to say "it's good for a Nintendo game"... fucking Nintendo.

Bayonetta 3 looks like pure shit in many scenes. Pokemon Violet barely runs.

There's an issue with the developers, but there's also an issue with Nintendo, we expect something semi-on par with at least PS4 gen and the old Switch can't even do that, it's closer to a PS3 in most cases, unless the developers REALLY REALLY try, which they can't these days because of the fucking schedules they're on. There's no wiggle room with a Switch, if you fuck up optimization the game goes straight to hell.

TonyK

If games run like shit on the Switch it's not the Switch's fault. The specs haven't changed in years, so the platform is a known quantity. If new Switch games don't run well it's because the devs fucked up.
But that could be applied to any platform, even the first Spectrum 48k. What you are saying is obvious, but the article is saying that some people, me included, want better graphics than the maximum that the actual Switch can output with its specs

daveonezero

Banned
The Nintendo excuse is so fucking weak and over used, every god damn generation we have to say "it's good for a Nintendo game"... fucking Nintendo.

Bayonetta 3 looks like pure shit in many scenes. Pokemon Violet barely runs.

There's an issue with the developers, but there's also an issue with Nintendo, we expect something semi-on par with at least PS4 gen and the old Switch can't even do that, it's closer to a PS3 in most cases, unless the developers REALLY REALLY try, which they can't these days because of the fucking schedules they're on. There's no wiggle room with a Switch, if you fuck up optimization the game goes straight to hell.
Meanwhile the other consoles have things like Cyberpunk which can't run on anything at release.

This is an individual issue and a developer issue. It isn't a problem with Nintendo as a whole.

Platinum isn't Nintendo. Neither is Gamefreak.

Isa

Gold Member
I know what I bought when I got it so I'm not frazzled in the slightest. I'd like a more impressive system sure, and will most likely be there day 1 for whatever comes next. But Switch has lived up to and beyond my expectations. But I'm really not a gfx guy I prefer art style first and foremost. And most importantly for me the games are fun.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That's not a denial.
It's not just about textures, valheim has ps1 textures and it was a huge success on steam, it is also a matter of resolution\framerate, stardards got better since 20 years ago.

Do yuo realize that they sell the switch as an hybrid home console\portable right? many people have 4k screens at home and 720p doesn't cut anymore.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Meanwhile Mario Kart 8 will probably be in the 10 best selling games of the year for the 6th year running.

If someone doesn't understand by now why the Switch is cheap, low-end hardware, I don't think they'll ever understand.

Deerock71

Do yuo realize that they sell the switch as an hybrid home console\portable right? many people have 4k screens at home and 720p doesn't cut anymore.
And yet Nintendo only finished behind the PS5 in November in NA, and continues to do phenomenal numbers in Japan and the rest of the world. AND IT'S NEVER EVEN HAD A (REAL) PRICE CUT. I don't really feel like I'm the one that's out of touch here.

Meanwhile the other consoles have things like Cyberpunk which can't run on anything at release.

This is an individual issue and a developer issue. It isn't a problem with Nintendo as a whole.

Platinum isn't Nintendo. Neither is Gamefreak.

Your excuse doesn't make sense. Most Switch games run badly, while very few do on PS5/X.

In other words, you're saying it's an entirely Nintendo issue

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
And yet Nintendo only finished behind the PS5 in November in NA, and continues to do phenomenal numbers in Japan and the rest of the world. AND IT'S NEVER EVEN HAD A (REAL) PRICE CUT. I don't really feel like I'm the one that's out of touch here.
Oh don't get me wrong, nintendo is the smartest of the bunch between the big 3.

They have real exclusives so if you wanna play their stuff it's on their terms or nothing, and with a shitty hardware you can make games with 10.000 yen budget instead of dozenz of milions like the other 2.

But none of that is gonna stop me from shit talk their policies since i'm not a nintendo share holder so i don't give a damn about how successful they are, i only care for what is best for me.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I mean, they released a $300 dedicated handheld tablet in 2017 and have been supporting it with great software, wich is most important, its not a Steam Deck.

No other company is going to release dedicated portable games as well crafted and ambitious, the Switch is low power, but the portability,design, price, battery etc are essential to its success, when it came out in 2017 Breath of the Wild was a huge hit(and still is)among gamers

So i kind of agree with these articles, but they aren't telling us anything new, the Switch won't be around forever, the next step is gonna be way more noticeable than Wii U->Switch tech wise, and the same type of articles will start to pop out eventually.

Kataploom

Gold Member
But that could be applied to any platform, even the first Spectrum 48k. What you are saying is obvious, but the article is saying that some people, me included, want better graphics than the maximum that the actual Switch can output with its specs
There are other platforms for that already, I'd like better performance, like always a 60fps mode on 30fps Switch games so I can kinda understand it, but graphics? Switch was designed to be a 1080p console and most of the time games it does its work pretty well, devs should know they have to work within its limits, and people should know what to expect... this is why I hate ps360 gen on consoles, too many games trying to do more than they should on available hardware and running like absolute shit

Robb

Gold Member
It’s been showing its age for quite a while imo. I’m looking forward to what’s next.

Would love to play Tears of the Kingdom on better hardware.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It showed its age five years ago. Now it’s just looking inferior as fuck.

I just bought the Diablo Collection on Switch since it’s $20, and man…Diablo 2 is so damn clunky.

I seriously hate playing games on the Switch.

Bayonetta 3 may be the bees knees in fighting, but those Dreamcast era backgrounds, Saturn levels of transparency effects, and all around shitty downgrades that still can’t get the game to run at 60fps is abysmal.

Cheapskate Nintendo won’t release a new Switch until they can make a buck on the hardware. So it’s probably going to be awhile for a Switch 2.

Gambit2483

switch specs have always been shit (cause its a gameboy)

next one will be no different

Actually it will be different in that their own 1st party games hopefully won't struggle to hit 1080p/60fps.

The industry standard is now 4k 60fps/30fps and many Switch games struggle or fail to hit 60pfs and if it is targeting 30fps its almost always sub 1080p...that's absolute crap performance for hardware in 2023.

There can only be so many more "miracle ports" before cloud versions are the only viable path on Switch.

Like I said, it's time for Switch 2.

Last edited:

Lupin25

It's time for Switch 2.

Unless Nintendo wants a 2023 filled with Cloud versions and 6/7 gen bottom of the barrel ports then they need to release new hardware. Otherwise sales will begin to fall off a cliff mid year.

Unfortunately, families don’t care about graphics/specs, just fun games.

That’s why even though it’s greedy, it’s a smart strategy for Nintendo to opt for weaker hardware as a dual console.

Early 2024, maybe?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We know from files stolen from Nvidia that they are developing a new chip for Nintendo.
Yes, but it won't be the latest Tegra that was rumored. That will be a hefty coin if so, just like this Tegra was old bins nVidia wasn't selling. Nintendo isn't about losing money per unit.

Woopah

Yes, but it won't be the latest Tegra that was rumored. That will be a hefty coin if so, just like this Tegra was old bins nVidia wasn't selling. Nintendo isn't about losing money per unit.
What was rumoured? We have a fair amount of detail about the chip they are building (although not all the details, just some).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What was rumoured? We have a fair amount of detail about the chip they are building (although not all the details, just some).

I would be shocked if the latest and greatest 4TF from nVidia in that department is being used in the Switch. Especially knowing nVidia's pricing models.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Unfortunately, families don’t care about graphics/specs, just fun games.

That’s why even though it’s greedy, it’s a smart strategy for Nintendo to opt for weaker hardware as a dual console.

Early 2024, maybe?
True, but hardware sales are dropping as core gamers and even many casuals have already bought a system. At some point your trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

New and exciting games drive hardware sales and Switch is at the point where the hardware is simply incapable of pushing out too much more exciting looking and playing software.

Nintendo can't afford to lose out on 3rd party releases because of underpowered hardware, which would cause a drop in hardware sales and momentum.

If there's no new hardware in 2023 Switch will risk going out like Wii; a crazy selling console that (with weak hardware/weak software) eventually went out like a wet fart due to extreme drop in games, momentum and sales

Last edited:

Woopah

True, but hardware sales are dropping as core gamers and even many casuals have already bought a system. At some point your trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

New and exciting games drive hardware sales and Switch is at the point where the hardware is simply incapable of pushing out too much more exciting looking and playing software.

Nintendo can't afford to lose out on 3rd party releases because of underpowered hardware, which would cause a drop in hardware sales and momentum.

If there's no new hardware in 2023 Switch will risk going out like Wii; a crazy selling console that (with weak hardware/weak software) eventually went out like a wet fart due to extreme drop in games, momentum and sales
Nintendo really doesn't need third party sales, the top 32 selling Switch games are made by Nintendo.

edit: Actually missed MH, so top 20 are Nintendo games, and 1 in the top 32 is non-Nintendo

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i think it's a first
another fucking company launches a handheld that plays the game better then on the actual nintendo switch.
i do not support piracy in any way. And i DO buy the games on my switch. But i finished metroid DREAD in 4k before my actual CE edition arrived for switch. And i didn't even play it on the switch.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah this was definitely the year I starting using my Switch more and more as a handheld as the visuals and resolution on some of these games on the big screen just looked horrible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
T239 is indeed the chip being made for Nintendo, the stolen documents for it make several Nintendo references.
Then I will be pleasantly surprised if they release a $300 4TF portable with a good battery. More surprised that nVidia would be playing nice on the pricing front.

Top Bottom