• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook reveals Oculus Quest 2

This could potentially be a replacement for my CV1, but I think I'm going to just wait and see first. Unfortunately with the better strap the price would be 400€ here, and 500€ with link cable, which stings a lot more than $299. Even then you still need to use separate headphones for good audio, so the value starts to diminish in comparison to my old headset. This is not a deal breaker, and neither really is Facebook integration even though I'm not a fan of that move by any means. I despise the walled garden approach and data mining for advertisement purposes. I haven't checked how well side-loading worked on Quest 1 either, so maybe there will be total deal-breakers somewhere there yet.

What's also making me want to wait is that most things seem to only run at 72Hz at launch, and I'd rather Oculus and app devs fix the kinks and run all things at 90 Hz which I'm accustomed to with CV1.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is when Facebook reps claimed that Quest 2's controllers have fewer infrared sensor points: "We're able to find computer vision algorithms tuned to achieve the same [level of controller] tracking in fewer LEDs, thus [requiring] less power," a Facebook representative told Ars Technica.

I went back to compare tricky "expert" Beat Saber levels on both Quest 1 and Quest 2, and sure enough, the older controller is noticeably more accurate. It's hard to perfectly measure VR controller detection without access to verbose data logs (which I've used to diagnose issues with SteamVR in the past). But I can safely say that after an hour going back and forth between Quest 1 and 2, the number of lost swipes on the newer hardware was higher. So this downgrade in sensor points checks out.
Tested shows exact same number of IR lights on both revisions, lol (timestamped):

Placebozo interpreting things how he wants them to be just cos Facebook bad I guess.

Tracking may still not be quite as good 100%, who knows, for Tested it wasn't perceivable (and yet they perceived the G2's deficiencies in comparison to Quest/S) and I'm sure it can improve if needed since the lights are there and it only varies how many it tracks at a time or how it blinks them.

But you can't tell me that guy seriously can't ever recommend a VR kit that from $299 (if you find the default strap so bad then $349 I guess but Tested found it workable still) gives you a bit higher resolution than the Valve Index at 90Hz, the best finger-tracking-less VR controllers made yet (back to Rift CV1 quality it seems, even with the thumb rest area Quest/S removed, which I never thought would return as it's superfluous), roughly the best-tier inside out tracking even if ars is right in that it's not quite as good as before, have no need for proprietary PC connection cables, just a good USB cable which lots of people will recommend other than the official expensive fiber cable to know what's good, and of course the best stand alone VR kit by a mile on top of the PC VR stuff. If you want super clear high res G2 is your friend for sure but you'll deal with its tracking & in EU it costs freaking 699 EUR (and the Quest 2 starts at 349 EUR so 400 with Elite strap if supposedly necessary). Might as well go full premium for an Index at that point for its impeccable tracking and deluxe controllers instead of the G2. Sound is important too, the Quest 2's is just passable I guess, but you can use your own headphones, we PC gamers got those for our PCs before VR was a thing and still have them most likely. So yeah. A bit less bias, a bit more objective hardware reviews from that guy and site pls. Even if he has to spend paragraphs about Facebook anyway it's nuts to present the Quest 2 in that negative a light, like what would you recommend at a similar price point for VR, Samsung Odyssey or other gen 1 WMR kit? That's just ridiculous on so many levels, like they're telling people don't get VR unless you can get Index. Not to mention its homebrew potential.

Last edited:

Alexios

On Amazon UK it's up for 299 gbp/325 eur. Might wanna jump on it if it ships to your country (doesn't for me). Edit: I mean for folks outside UK in the EU where it is 349 eur. For UK that's normal price. But maybe it won't ship outside UK from this, idk.

Last edited:

Alexios

Tested shows exact same number of IR lights on both revisions, lol (timestamped):

Placebozo interpreting things how he wants them to be just cos Facebook bad I guess.

Tracking may still not be quite as good 100%, who knows, for Tested it wasn't perceivable (and yet they perceived the G2's deficiencies in comparison to Quest/S) and I'm sure it can improve if needed since the lights are there and it only varies how many it tracks at a time or how it blinks them.

But you can't tell me that guy seriously can't ever recommend a VR kit that from $299 (if you find the default strap so bad then $349 I guess but Tested found it workable still) gives you a bit higher resolution than the Valve Index at 90Hz, the best finger-tracking-less VR controllers made yet (back to Rift CV1 quality it seems, even with the thumb rest area Quest/S removed, which I never thought would return as it's superfluous), roughly the best-tier inside out tracking even if ars is right in that it's not quite as good as before, have no need for proprietary PC connection cables, just a good USB cable which lots of people will recommend other than the official expensive fiber cable to know what's good, and of course the best stand alone VR kit by a mile on top of the PC VR stuff. If you want super clear high res G2 is your friend for sure but you'll deal with its tracking & in EU it costs freaking 699 EUR (and the Quest 2 starts at 349 EUR so 400 with Elite strap if supposedly necessary). Might as well go full premium for an Index at that point for its impeccable tracking and deluxe controllers instead of the G2. Sound is important too, the Quest 2's is just passable I guess, but you can use your own headphones, we PC gamers got those for our PCs before VR was a thing and still have them most likely. So yeah. A bit less bias, a bit more objective hardware reviews from that guy and site pls. Even if he has to spend paragraphs about Facebook anyway it's nuts to present the Quest 2 in that negative a light, like what would you recommend at a similar price point for VR, Samsung Odyssey or other gen 1 WMR kit? That's just ridiculous on so many levels, like they're telling people don't get VR unless you can get Index. Not to mention its homebrew potential.

Ars bozo edited that article and puts the fb reps at fault for lying that their controllers are gimped instead of their own incompetence, lol:
Facebook reps mentioned that the controllers were redesigned with an emphasis on increased battery life and comfort, which I found curious. The original Oculus Quest controllers didn't last very long, but they only required one AA battery and were far more efficient than, say, the HTC Vive Cosmos controllers. What got the battery drain down further? This is when Facebook reps claimed that Quest 2's controllers have fewer infrared sensor points: "We're able to find computer vision algorithms tuned to achieve the same [level of controller] tracking in fewer LEDs, thus [requiring] less power," a Facebook representative told Ars Technica.

I went back to compare tricky "expert" Beat Saber levels on both Quest 1 and Quest 2, and sure enough, the older controller is noticeably more accurate. It's hard to perfectly measure VR controller detection without access to verbose data logs (which I've used to diagnose issues with SteamVR in the past). But I can safely say that after an hour going back and forth between Quest 1 and 2, the number of lost swipes on the newer hardware was higher. So this downgrade in sensor points checks out.

[Update, 3:30 p.m. ET: Since this article went live, we've seen infrared camera footage from Tested confirming an identical number of LED bulbs in both generations of Quest controllers, which puts Facebook's original statement into question. The FB rep may have been describing a downgrade in frequency or power for those LED bulbs in Quest 2 controllers.]

I guess like for myself English is not their native language so they can't understand tracking fewer leds, if we even take their word on what fb reps said, doesn't have to mean you have fewer leds total, but maybe that when there are more than a couple in actual view you may not necessarily need to keep track of all of them for the same result. Not to mention how ridiculous their testing method is, instead of playing around to find exact issues and blind spots, when it starts going haywire and when it picks up the proper tracking again, they counted missed notes in beat saber? Lol.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This type of convergence hardware makes a lot of sense for VR. The worst aspects of PCVR are:

-Setting up all the sensors in your living area
-The mess of cables to deal with
-Lack of portability
-Price of entry

The Quest 2 addresses most of that. There are experiences that are viable on a mobile SOC, like Beat Saber and Space Pirate Trainer, which would be great to throw in a case and take over to a friend's trivially, or have access to in any room of the home, or travel with. And there are desktop-class experiences like HL:Alyx that are worth being tethered for. Having access to both with one device brings VR back to relevance for me, as someone who got sick of all the mess with the Vive and put it into storage a long time ago.

Shrap

For those interested, here is Carmack's talk this year:

Insightful and honest as always. He actually throws some shade at Facebook throughout and goes through the flaws/challenges with the Quest 2 and VR in general right now. He's very proud of the Quest 2 though and says it's an improvement in every way over the first Quest.

I've pulled the trigger and got one pre-ordered.

CloudNull

Banned

This is showing that they have fixed the issue of not being able to see a keyboard while using the Quest. If so this is huge. It has been my biggest gripe with my current Quest and hopefully this video is not some fluff peace. I hope it is legitimate software they have in the pipeline. Considering all the recent features they have added to the OS, I believe it to be true.

CloudNull

Banned

Per this article it is a custom built Logitech keyboard. If the price is right I will be there day one.

There is also a virtual meeting room software mentioned called Spatial. This could be huge for people working remotely.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Pre Order is up on Glamazon with free returns. I think I wanna hop it with the elite strap but still hesitant. Someone push me either way :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kadayi

Banned
What sort of game is the woman in the second thumbnail playing?

giphy.gif

Resenge

Pre Order is up on Glamazon with free returns. I think I wanna hop it with the elite strap but still hesitant. Someone push me either way :messenger_grinning_sweat:
From what I have heard it's practically essential as the default strap is terrible. If it's anything like the original Quest headstrap you definatly need it. The original Quest strap was terrible and super uncomfortable.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned

Per this article it is a custom built Logitech keyboard. If the price is right I will be there day one.

There is also a virtual meeting room software mentioned called Spatial. This could be huge for people working remotely.
Apparently the Spatial software is already out. Came out on the 3rd and is free. I am installing it now.

As a oculus Quest owner (gotta get the two) that comparasion its pretty stupid

I don't care for flat gaming anymore. Sony created a monster but is not willing to feed it anymore, so there - none of their flat offerings excite me, specially as most are old recycled games I've played long ago in one way or another. Immersion is gaming-changing in a way that more pixels in a small window will never be.

that said, I don't live in USA. Tech like this is very expensive to get, specially the Quest, because Facebook only ships to a few select countries and it gets here far more expensive than anything else - PS5 will be cheaper.

I'll probably only really make my mind next year, and if Sony shows service, that's the path of least resistance... but I'd really want a standalone, not just for freedom from cables, but also freedom from desktop hardware... mobile hardware is getting pretty damn good, if switch and Quest teach us anything - couple that with cloud services and one day consoles are really done...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Alright, I caved and pre-ordered. I am gonna take it on faith that the Oculus Link improvements will happen eventually, but I am gonna hold on to my Rift until they do. But $350 (with headstrap) is cheap enough to roll the dice and I am interested to play wireless beat saber and such.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Alright, I caved and pre-ordered. I am gonna take it on faith that the Oculus Link improvements will happen eventually, but I am gonna hold on to my Rift until they do. But $350 (with headstrap) is cheap enough to roll the dice and I am interested to play wireless beat saber and such.

I'm almost there. Especially as I am not jumping into ps5 day 1 I have this extra cash I want to spend but my gut is telling me even with the head strap the design is still not gonna sit with me. I think I was spoiled the comfort of the PSVR.

CloudNull

Banned
Preordered the 64gb with the comfort strap. I have the original quest and i was planning on holding off but that new processor is too good. I couldn’t resist. At least my wife can have her own headset now.

Sakura

The first Quest was, and the Quest 2 is superior to the first model. And if you have a decent PC, even more worth it imo.
Maybe I will grab one then. The thing that put me off of PC VR is the need to have all these cameras everywhere, which this doesn't require.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Preordered the 64gb with the comfort strap. I have the original quest and i was planning on holding off but that new processor is too good. I couldn’t resist. At least my wife can have her own headset now.
That new cpu power will go towards higher res and 90hz anyway. Not much of it will go to graphics. Expect games looking about the same like ps4 vs pro

CloudNull

Banned
Maybe I will grab one then. The thing that put me off of PC VR is the need to have all these cameras everywhere, which this doesn't require.
Its incredible to be able to use vr without any wires. It’s a game changer. Also, the tech that the quest uses to do tracking without mounted cameras is pure wizardry.

For the people planning on picking up the Quest what games are you most excited for?

Im most excited for population:1, Myst, beat saber multiplayer, and Jurassic park. I’m really digging the cell shaded graphics for Jurassic park.

Here’s a decent video of the new games coming out.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
I don't care for flat gaming anymore. Sony created a monster but is not willing to feed it anymore, so there - none of their flat offerings excite me, specially as most are old recycled games I've played long ago in one way or another. Immersion is gaming-changing in a way that more pixels in a small window will never be.

that said, I don't live in USA. Tech like this is very expensive to get, specially the Quest, because Facebook only ships to a few select countries and it gets here far more expensive than anything else - PS5 will be cheaper.

I'll probably only really make my mind next year, and if Sony shows service, that's the path of least resistance... but I'd really want a standalone, not just for freedom from cables, but also freedom from desktop hardware... mobile hardware is getting pretty damn good, if switch and Quest teach us anything - couple that with cloud services and one day consoles are really done...
mni still dont know what are you talking about,i enjoy a good sesion of halyx and them gaming on a good 4k tv,there is no need to shit on any of them,dont act like people who talk shit about vr

McCheese

The original Quest strap was terrible and super uncomfortable.

Yup, was a massive step down from the Rift. The problem is Sony patented the good Halo design and only licensed it out to Lenovo, so other companies are having to either pay royalties or go with the "pull it into your fucking face" design until they figure out an alternative.

Watching how you attach the comfort strap to the Quest 2 has me worried, looks really easy to break/snap.

Will attach mine first thing and get it over and done with.

349 for the headset and comfort strap is still great value wise.

Last edited:

Resenge

mni still dont know what are you talking about,i enjoy a good sesion of halyx and them gaming on a good 4k tv,there is no need to shit on any of them,dont act like people who talk shit about vr
Fanboy gotta fanboy. He was a psvr fanboy a few weeks ago and now he's shitting on it for no reason. It's such a shame as most VR users here are excited for all VR. Guess the more popular VR gets the more fanboys and console warriors will creep in.

That is a depressing thought.

Last edited:

learn to read and write

He was a psvr fanboy a few weeks ago and now he's shitting on it for no

I've had a psvr for almost 3 years now, always waiting for the day big FPS and lots of racers to come to VR. but ok, eventually I got it that PS4 is just to weak for it.

but hey, here comes PS5, an all powerful new hardware. It sure will do what even Pro couldn't and make finally available a VR mode to allb those big games: COD, Far Cry, GT (instead of a dumb limited mode) etc

nope. Nothing to see here, move along. That's the message Sony is sending here. It's not really me...

and stop stalking me, go find someone else

Last edited:

Resenge

learn to read and write

I've had a psvr for almost 3 years now, always waiting for the day big FPS and lots of racers to come to VR. but ok, eventually I got it that PS4 is just to weak for it.

but hey, here comes PS5, an all powerful new hardware. It sure will do what even Pro couldn't and make finally available a VR mode to allb those big games: COD, Far Cry, GT (instead of a dumb limited mode) etc

nope. Nothing to see here, move along. That's the message Sony is sending here. It's not really me...

and stop stalking me, go find someone else
I am not stalking you, I replied to someone else and commented about how much of a fanboy you are. Weren't you just banned for fanboy comments?

Just discuss the hardware without shitting on other hardware, is that so hard to do? I guess it is.

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

I absolutely love VR and was ready to jump on this. I already have a RiftS so I was curious to see what they can bring to Quest. Sadly , the one major issue I had with Quest is the FOV, and it looks to be the same here.
Shame, as I was really looking forward to this new one.
I may still grab one down the road though.

Resenge

I absolutely love VR and was ready to jump on this. I already have a RiftS so I was curious to see what they can bring to Quest. Sadly , the one major issue I had with Quest is the FOV, and it looks to be the same here.
Shame, as I was really looking forward to this new one.
I may still grab one down the road though.
I am not sure if it makes any difference to your decision but I have the Rift S and the Quest. I don't really notice much difference in FOV between the two. I know some people are sensitive to tiny changes like that but for me they both feel around the same.

The Rift S is still my main PCVR headset though due to PCVR being clearer on Rift S and higher refresh rate (although Quest 2 will have a higher refresh rate soon) than the Oculus link so If thats all you care about then yes don't bother.

The Quest however is a different beast than the Rift S. I think of it as VR lite kinda, It has most of the features of the Rift, 6 DOF, controllers are the same, tracking is the same but on a handheld power type of system and still having the ability to connect to PCVR through Oculus link or even WiFi through Virtual desktop.

Just ignore all this crap if you already have tested the Quest and know all about it, Im just discussing it for the fun of a discusssion.

Last edited:

pr0cs

I hope it is legitimate software they have in the pipeline
This is really what I'm eventually hoping for. The ability to get rid of my monitors and just wear a comfortable headset and do all my work in VR, anywhere.
It will come but I don't think the VR displays have enough resolution yet but it's getting close. I can envision a day of working anywhere, with little to no hardware required to function effectively beyond a headset and mouse/keyboard.

Moomalade74

Banned
lcd. So worse blacks and better god rays. Those flashlight areas in alyx will suck ass like on S

Man, it's a real shame the way all VR headsets are moving on mass to lcd over oled. I know there are certain drawbacks to oled, but the inky blacks for me are essential for the visual depth and immersion needed to create the otherwoldly sense I'm 'somewhere else', rather than just playing a virtual reality interactive game. I returned the Index because of this.

Man, it's a real shame the way all VR headsets are moving on mass to lcd over oled. I know there are certain drawbacks to oled, but the inky blacks for me are essential for the visual depth and immersion needed to create the otherwoldly sense I'm 'somewhere else', rather than just playing a virtual reality interactive game. I returned the Index because of this.

sadly, deep blacks are seldom used because fast refresh rate is needed for VR and OLED is slow going from fully turned off pixels to lit ones...

Moomalade74

Banned
sadly, deep blacks are seldom used because fast refresh rate is needed for VR and OLED is slow going from fully turned off pixels to lit ones...

Yeah I appreciate the reasons behind it re: faster refresh rates. But as I say the immersive cost is too high for me personally, and I also miss the popping vibrant colours. I'll stick with my PSVR until another panel solution emerges combining the best of both worlds. Maybe micro-led down the road.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Last night I did a run through of apps I have installed but haven't used in a long time. There have been some massive improvements to a lot of them.

I was chilling in Big Screen and joined a room to watch Black Hawk Down(great flick). I was using the beta Bluetooth feature with my Beats as the headset. Sound was coming through super clear with no desync. I think Bluetooth is a game changer. The Airpods I tested had crap quality. I assume they are not fully supported or maybe I just needed to restart the headset. Last night was a lot of fun until I got banned for throwing tomatoes at other participants in the theater.

Xenon

Looks good but I'll stick with my original quest for a while. If I learned one thing about the Oculus platform it's software is a slow drip. So I can't see anything really taking advantage of this Hardware for a while. I don't really have a good gaming PC so it's not even worth the effort there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom