• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook employee jumps off a building

giphy.gif

nush

It's an educated guess, do you not know how many Indians and Chinese work at Facebook?
Do you? Do you know how many that number is as a percentage of the total number of employees? Also how that percentage is representative of other companies of similar size that have diversity on their workforce?

Ten_Fold

I always felt like a combination of real life outside of work, along with the stress of your job makes me kill themselves. Sucks to hear about this, but this happens pretty damn often.

It's kind of funny to think any work even takes place at Facebook. What work is there to be done apart from changing the colour of the header and swapping a couple of menu's around every 6 months?

The platform is practically sentient and is algorithm ran anyway. It's basically Skynet.

lil puff

Jokes aside, in all honesty, this is sad.

Some of those computer jobs can make you hopeless, although we dont really know the reason behind his action.
Considering it is Suicide month, it's sad.

However, I often wonder. Do you die in mid air? I mean that in all seriousness.

I was also reading about a guy last week who jumped 15 floors down off a building. He was a mental health and suicide counselor.

Tesseract

Banned
what do you mean mid air, you die when your body goes splat against the concrete

guts and goo rushes out of you

Last edited:

Everytime I see him, I am reminded of Wilbur Whately:

It was partly human, beyond a doubt, with very manlike hands and head, and the goatish, chinless face had the stamp of the Whateleys upon it. But the torso and lower parts of the body were teratologically fabulous, so that only generous clothing could ever have enabled it to walk on earth unchallenged or uneradicated.

Edit: I just realized that last sentence lacks context. So, here it is:

uploads1508782751756-am26zvy_700b.jpg

Last edited:

nocsi

Maybe he was afraid he might/will get fired? And get sent back to China/India/whatever....maybe could not handle the shame. Just a wild guess. They haven't released the identity yet.

The pressure of working there must be insane.

I can see how someone would wanna suicide while working there. The culture there rewards those that can work in a silo without understanding the greater impact of what they're developing. Now, if you're a big picture person:

* Seemingly innocent projects are taken and applied into a different context wherein it enables that new context a greater degree of invasiveness.
* Trying to convince consumers you give a shit about privacy. Privacy isn't something you insert, a la a differential privacy filter.
* Shadow profiles on people that have never even had an account?

As someone that has worked within a nation-state surveillance apparatus: facebook is a whole different level of fucked-up that can be difficult to fathom.

GAMETA

Banned
Considering it is Suicide month, it's sad.

However, I often wonder. Do you die in mid air? I mean that in all seriousness.

I was also reading about a guy last week who jumped 15 floors down off a building. He was a mental health and suicide counselor.

I unfortunately saw a video once... the guy jumped from the top of the building, he literally bounced on the floor, almost a meter (3 feet) high, a leg and one of his upper arms detached from the body and you could see the bone and meat, blood was comming out and what's worst, he was still alive and seemed confused, maybe realizing he was yet to die. :/

Last edited:

D-Dude

what do you mean mid air, you die when your body goes splat against the concrete

guts and goo rushes out of you
This is not entirely true.. I have worked in the funeral business and saw a lot of suicides unfortunately. I have seen bodies that fell from 10 stories and were perfectly intact from the outside. And I have seen bodies that fell from the first floor and were messed up. It depends on the impact... Your body mass, stuff like that. Still, every suicide is sad.

Tesseract

Banned
This is not entirely true.. I have worked in the funeral business and saw a lot of suicides unfortunately. I have seen bodies that fell from 10 stories and were perfectly intact from the outside. And I have seen bodies that fell from the first floor and were messed up. It depends on the impact... Your body mass, stuff like that. Still, every suicide is sad.

ja same, i've seen my share of suicides

it's not always a splat

Top Bottom