• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook Acquires Ready At Dawn

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. I was still holding out hope for a follow up to The Order. Oh well.

MiguelItUp

Man, what a weird day with Facebook and gaming related things. Oddly enough so much "The Order" talk was mentioned earlier today.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony are terrible when it comes to acquisitions, they missed the boat on Marvel, Star Wars, Fitbit and loads of other stuff....

Now they have only bought Insomniac, after they were under threat from a Facebook buyout.
They better start being more pro-active in this area or the world will just pass them by...

Comparing RaD to Insomniac, oh come on. Do you have proof there were interest in any of these properties to solely own?

Lots of assumptions on your part.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This... doesn’t sound good. I don’t even care about who gets what, but will RAD even get to make traditional games here? For every Half Life: Alyx, there’s waves of gimmicky, disappointing stuff.

I guess I need to research their last VR game.

Shin

Banned
Haha, I guess Facebook saw more potential in them after their VR game for Occulus than console platform holders had faith in RaD.
Don't know what else to make of it other than that because both companies had their chance but it went to FB out of all the choices.

Bryank75

Banned
Comparing RaD to Insomniac, oh come on. Do you have proof there were interest in any of these properties to solely own?

Lots of assumptions on your part.
Naaa I wouldn't compare the two. Insomniac is top of their game.
I'm just frustrated that Sony have not made some more deals yet...

Genx3

This sucks. Sony should have bought them so we could get another The Order game. Wounded.

This is an example of the reason I mentioned (in the MS might purchase Bloober thread) that if MS likes what Bloober is doing with The Medium they should go ahead and purchase them.
Facebook, Google, Amazon, Tencent, etc. could come in and buy the talent that was developing important 1st party games for you. Once that happens you're likely screwed from doing business with them again.

hunthunt

Banned
They shitted the bed too badly with The Order, I think Sony passed of them immediately after that.

Sad stuff, that game just needed a year of development and a good writer to be good

jakinov

Sony are terrible when it comes to acquisitions, they missed the boat on Marvel, Star Wars, Fitbit and loads of other stuff....

Now they have only bought Insomniac, after they were under threat from a Facebook buyout.
They better start being more pro-active in this area or the world will just pass them by...
marvel wasn’t doing that great before and Sony arguably already had the biggest marvel IP at the time. People didn’t really care that much about most Marvel IPs until what Disney did with it. Whether or not Sony would have done as good of a job, we don’t have a time machine to tell but people aren’t too fond of Sony’s track record when it comes to movies and they keep considering selling off that business altogether.
Insomniac and their PS3 Studio acquisitions were pretty good. I don’t think ReadyAtDawn is very exciting acquisition and I don’t think SoNy thinks so either else they would have probably tried already to acquire them. Sony had a history of acquiring studios after they do well with /for them. They also have a history of shutting Down or “cutting ties”. As much as certain people may like The Order, it doesn’t seem like it was a great success for Sony.

mortal

Gold Member
Ugh Facebook? Seriously?

Welp there goes any hope of them making a proper sequel to the Order 1886, with improved and more inspired game design.

Damn shame to see that wonderful art direction and world building go to waste.

Quantum253

Jim Ryan wtf were you doing, The Order sequel dream is dead i guess

f66.gif
I just played through the Order 1886 last night too. The real shame is you might get a sequel........ in Mobile and FarmVille form.

Bryank75

Banned
marvel wasn’t doing that great before and Sony arguably already had the biggest marvel IP at the time. People didn’t really care that much about most Marvel IPs until what Disney did with it. Whether or not Sony would have done as good of a job, we don’t have a time machine to tell but people aren’t too fond of Sony’s track record when it comes to movies and they keep considering selling off that business altogether.
Insomniac and their PS3 Studio acquisitions were pretty good. I don’t think ReadyAtDawn is very exciting acquisition and I don’t think SoNy thinks so either else they would have probably tried already to acquire them. Sony had a history of acquiring studios after they do well with /for them. They also have a history of shutting Down or “cutting ties”. As much as certain people may like The Order, it doesn’t seem like it was a great success for Sony.
I agree with most of that except Sony pictures seems to be doing well recently with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Bad Boys 3, Hotel Transylvania, Angry Birds etc.... plus there is more and more crossover in film and gaming now. They could share assets in projects that overlap and Sony would be in a unique position to benefit.
They also picked up loads of Weinsteins business after that debacle.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I am happy for "Ready at Dawn" .. after they botched The Order, they proved that they cannot handle bigger AAA titles...

Why happy? so they will burn FaceBook evil money and then disappear.

I get it.

VR streaming, the next step up from watching mixer or YouTube.

Instead of watching someone play the game you can be in the game without doing anything. Kind of like... Watching a movie

And boom, Facebook make billions

makaveli60

No no no no, not like this. Facebook? Of all things, Facebook, really? Fuck you Sony for not giving them another chance :(
It's so ironic that this news come after creating my Order vs Tlou graphics thread today...

This year keeps getting worst 🤦‍♂️

Honestly, FB needs to find a better brand to advance their gaming image. FB is increasingly a repository for people to re-post political content to espouse their already apparent allegiances. Or to get mad at something they could give less than two shits about.

So basically Twitter but at least somewhat useful to gaming i.e Oculus Rift?

Last edited:
How did Amazon's acquisition turn out for them? How long before Google shutters their Stadia studio? What happened to Facebook's own VR meddling?
Where are we going, Papa Facebook?

Last edited:

nowhat

No no no no, not like this. Facebook? Of all things, Facebook, really? Fuck you Sony for not giving them another chance :(
It's so ironic that this news come after creating my Order vs Tlou graphics thread today...
Coming up - "Farmville vs. TLOU 2 graphics" thread.

Top Bottom