• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Rainbow Six Siege - Digital Foundry

b68f54890dc4a09b648cd4078fd7615c.png

I think we've finally reached the point of self-parody.

system11

Fantastic game that looks and runs absolutely beautifully on PS4. Unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be much interest, it wouldn't appear that this game has very long legs.

Regardless I'll be playing it for quite some time. It fills a gap in the PS4's library of a hardcore competitive shooter that's more about positioning than it is simply outgunning.

It's the worst timing ever.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm not seeing a lot of differences between the PC images, which are presumably rendered natively at 1080p, and the PS4 images reconstructed at half res. Not sure if that's due to image compression or what.

I'm not seeing a lot of differences between the PC images, which are presumably rendered natively at 1080p, and the PS4 images reconstructed at half res. Not sure if that's due to image compression or what.

Since the image is smoothed temporally (or however ubi describes it), you would notice artifacting between moving images... and probably most notably on transparencies and thin stuff.

A still image with little to no motion is the best use example for such kind of sub-native uprezing. A similar thing happened in Killzone: SF - it looked pretty darn convincing in stills yet broke down noticably in motion. This probably looks better than KZ:SF though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The temporal reconstruction stuff is fascinating. It's much more convincing in this game than it was in the MP of Shadow Fall. I wonder if we'll see more devs start implementing something similar as more games target 60fps. It could also be useful next gen for hitting 4k targets.

MANGOD

Banned
'The game targets 60fps, however, the 'Terrorist Hunt' mode is locked to a very stable 30fps due to complex AI.'
Where is this complex a.i cause ive not seen any. Only thing complex is that when there are 3 remaining they actually take some initiative and come find you. And somehow they know exactly where you are on the map!

HowZatOZ

Banned
This game is just too good. The tactical aspects that arise from the destruction is just so damn satisfying. Playing with four other friends fills the void of a true tactical game.

'The game targets 60fps, however, the 'Terrorist Hunt' mode is locked to a very stable 30fps due to complex AI.'
Where is this complex a.i cause ive not seen any. Only thing complex is that when there are 3 remaining they actually take some initiative and come find you. And somehow they know exactly where you are on the map!

That's exactly right.
The AI is not complex any more than 20 Destiny characters jumping around and moving. Most of the time you only see 3 AI guys in one area, often just 2 while the others are waiting or get warped in later. They also are given the benefit of wall hacks and other info they don't play like a player.

So if the AI is an excuse to halve the speed it is a really poor one.. They probably think that the AI SP was not important, even though terrorist hunt co-op could have had real promise in the game.

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of that. It's the same thing in Situations, at least on "Realistic" setting. Otherwise I have no complaints about the A.I. I just don't see how it's all that taxing.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
It's true that the final mission of situations article 5 in the ps4 works at 60fps?It's strange because it's a mission with bots like terrorist hunt.

Hmmm, I included this since I remember reading/hearing something about it. I guess it's not all that complex lol by the looks of it.

SomTervo

If you play on Realistic the AI is god-tier.

They track you down by sound, they ambush you, they use destructability, they have excellent aim but not perfect aim, they plant bombs/hide in random/unique places, and their pathfinding is great. The only problem i've seen is on Bomb Defusal mode - where they don't know where to look upon entering a room. They often look at walls and shit. But that is one flaw out of countless amazing behaviours.

You can also flee, lose them, and use stealth to thwart them. It has some of the most legit cunning-vs-cunning encounters i've ever seen.

DOWN

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks this is graphically ugly? And not very crisp? It's rather unfortunate after Battlefront's wizardry even at 900p

SomTervo

Am I the only one who thinks this is graphically ugly? And not very crisp? It's rather unfortunate after Battlefront's wizardry even at 900p

It's simple, but effective. High IQ but no big snazzy effects or lighting. The lighting is still super solid and interacts with the physics + destructibiliy perfectly, so it looks great a lot of the time. I you ever played FEAR the style would be familiar: attractive because it's pure and simple. In motion it's lovely. Totally serves the gameplay.

DOWN

Banned
It's simple, but effective. High IQ but no big snazzy effects or lighting. The lighting is still super solid and interacts with the physics + destructibiliy perfectly, so it looks great a lot of the time. I you ever played FEAR the style would be familiar: attractive because it's pure and simple. In motion it's lovely. Totally serves the gameplay.

I think it's got some of the worst lighting and ambient occlusion I've seen recently on top of it just having softness in the textures and overall quality

Fezan

Honestly, I didn't take much notice. Is there a particular scene where this stands out that you don't mind linking?

I have been corrected here that its due to black crush on xbox version. Its very visible when they are running xbox and ps4 version side by side

Top Bottom