• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Will Run on ForzaTech, as Per Job Listing

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last year, Playground Games finally unveiled the next Fable for Xbox Series X/S and PC. And though rumors indicate that it – along with Perfect Dark and Everwild – is a long way off from release, some details have been trickling out over the past few months. The latest comes from a job listing on Microsoft’s Careers website which states that the action RPG will run on ForzaTech.

As per the listing, “ForzaTech is the engine, tools, and pipelines that drive both the Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon series of games. In addition to adding new features like ray tracing to support the next console generation, we are also enriching the toolset to support an open world action RPG – Fable.” Though ray tracing is mentioned, which the next Forza Motorsport is confirmed to support, it doesn’t explicitly indicate that Fable will have it.

Last year, Playground Games finally unveiled the next Fable for Xbox Series X/S and PC. And though rumors indicate that it – along with Perfect Dark and Everwild – is a long way off from release, some details have been trickling out over the past few months. The latest comes from a job listing on Microsoft’s Careers website which states that the action RPG will run on ForzaTech.

As per the listing, “ForzaTech is the engine, tools, and pipelines that drive both the Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon series of games. In addition to adding new features like ray tracing to support the next console generation, we are also enriching the toolset to support an open world action RPG – Fable.” Though ray tracing is mentioned, which the next Forza Motorsport is confirmed to support, it doesn’t explicitly indicate that Fable will have it.
Wasn’t this already confirmed for unreal engine?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Wasn’t this already confirmed for unreal engine?
It uses a custom engine that seems to be based off ForzaTech. They never said it uses Unreal Engine.
Ix0yQo.png

Ix0G52.png

quest

Not Banned from OT
I am hoping they can work with ID in the future to build a in house engine to avoid being dependent on the unreal engine. Between them. ID and turn 10 they could turn out a good in house engine imo by the end of the generation.

Spaceman292

Banned
This is taking a loooooooooong time. I feel like I saw that leaked footage from the new Fable like five years ago. Are there problems or is it just a really big game?

Yup.. Arguably one of the best in the industry right now. What they were able to do with Forza during the Xbox One gen is nothing short of amazing.
Yeah I agree but is Forzatech the best fit for an RPG? I mean how much work would it require to adapt the engine so it can render and animate lifelike human/humanoids and other living creatures?

Bernkastel

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Turn 10 the engine guys and Playground the game guys in Forza Horizon?
Playground Games modified ForzaTech to have open world environments for ForzaTech.
Yeah I agree but is Forzatech the best fit for an RPG? I mean how much work would it require to adapt the engine so it can render and animate lifelike human/humanoids and other living creatures?
Rockstar Advanced Game Engine(RAGE) is also based off a engine for a racing games like Midtown Madness and Midnight Club. Instead of starting from scratch its better to use what you have and then modify and add what you need along the way.

Last edited:
Playground Games modified ForzaTech to have open world environments for ForzaTech.

Rockstar Advanced Game Engine(RAGE) is also based off a engine for a racing games like Midtown Madness and Midnight Club. Instead of starting from scratch its better to use what you and then modify and add what you need along the way.
Oh, I really didn't know that, thanks for the info. Hopefully Playground can produce a Fable that looks as good as their Forza games (minus the cars 😉).

bargeparty

Rockstar Advanced Game Engine(RAGE) is also based off a engine for a racing games like Midtown Madness and Midnight Club. Instead of starting from scratch its better to use what you and then modify and add what you need along the way.

Yeah that's clearly worked so many other devs.

Nice. Horizon 4 is still easily the best looking console racer ever, which is impressive considering its open world and runs at 60fps (on SX/Scorpio anyway, idk about the older Xbone consoles or SS).

Last edited:

Bernkastel

It worked for Asobo. They also used Forzatech for their game.

GY1eSpu.jpg
Source is an XboxEra forum thread by Xplainin Xplainin linking to a MadInfinite article that is known to have mistranslated everything.
You link to a XboxEra forum thread which links to this.
This article is known to have mistranslated everything. It says stuffs like "Asobo is working on another project with Microsoft". Sadly everyone picked up this news and believed it.
Here is the original article in French(use Google Translate)
No mention of Turn 10 and ForzaTech.

Wikipedia provides this source which has nothing to do with Flight Simulator.
Its not just NoClip, Asobo has done many other interviews with Flight Sim YouTubers and always said "in-house engine". Heres another interview.

At 5:11

6:06

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
If they are using the forza tech it is because they are obviously comfortable with it and are confident in the results that they will get.

FH4's world looks incredible and if they can get the rest looking as good then we are in for a treat.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is taking a loooooooooong time. I feel like I saw that leaked footage from the new Fable like five years ago. Are there problems or is it just a really big game?
There was a Fable game cancelled years ago.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

This seems like a weird fit for what I thought this game would be, an on foot RPG, does this indicate the game will have accelerated travel across the landscape? Not in a car obviously but some sort of fantasy... conveyance lol

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This seems like a weird fit for what I thought this game would be, an on foot RPG, does this indicate the game will have accelerated travel across the landscape? Not in a car obviously but some sort of fantasy... conveyance lol
I would imagine it will have horses and carriages.

Calverz

I think its more to do with their dynamically changing seasons tech from forza horizon 4. I think they really wanted to leverage that in a fable game. Could be wrong though

Kuranghi

I would imagine it will have horses and carriages.
I think its more to do with their dynamically changing seasons tech from forza horizon 4. I think they really wanted to leverage that in a fable game. Could be wrong though

Both sounds about right, a big strength of this engine is its ability to stream data in really fast so it would be interesting to see how they use it.

Funny how ppl assume an engine for racing will be great for an rpg. Remember how Bioware was forced to work with frostbite? How did that turn out lmfao.

Top Bottom