• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2021, Patch 1.04 disables RayTracing on PS5 due to bug, aiming to fix quickly

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.dualshockers.com/f1-2021-ps5-update-1-04-patch-notes-ray-tracing-removed-temporarily/

If you are playing the game on PS5, there is a new update for you that unfortunately disables the Ray Tracing feature, but it’s for good. Apparently, a number of players have been facing instability issues in the game, and Codemasters had no choice but turning off the feature until fixing the problem.

1 2021 UPDATE 1.04 PATCH NOTES​

• Addressed an issue where users would experience a corrupt save if they edited their vehicle’s livery from within the MyTeam HQ. Saves that were previously corrupted as a result of this bug will be able to be resumed after applying the patch.
  • PlayStation 5 only: We are aware of some instability within the game for a limited number of users on PS5 relating to Ray Tracing. As such, we have taken the difficult decision to temporarily disable it to aid stability. We aim to re-enable this as quickly as possible, and we will provide an update in due course.
1ME9L8.jpg

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
limited number of users?

I wonder is it related to ray tracing crashes, together with the rest mode crashes.

Last edited:

Roberts

They obviously going to fix it. Just saying, before somebody makes drama out of it. The only thing I’m interested in: what caused instability.

GHG

Gold Member
They obviously going to fix it. Just saying, before somebody makes drama out of it. The only thing I’m interested in: what caused instability.

No idea but from the footage I've seen of the PS5 version it has awful screen tearing ghat occurs only during cut scenes.

Ray tracing is also only enabled during cutscenes on the console versions so it could be linked.

TrebleShot

Yeah playing this over the weekend there is significant tearing in cutscenes which is a shame and was quite jarring.
However the game utlizes dualsense incredibly and is a brillInt game when you get into it.

Markio128

Yeah playing this over the weekend there is significant tearing in cutscenes which is a shame and was quite jarring.
However the game utlizes dualsense incredibly and is a brillInt game when you get into it.
I only noticed screen tear during in-game engine cutscenes and not the cinematics that play out during Braking Point. I honestly would not have known RT was present tbh and they can just leave it out for me. Also playing on PS5 and the dualsense support is really good - in fact, the game is a lot of fun.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
This year's release of F1 seems to be in a really poor launch state. First they release an incomplete game making it impossible to recreate a full feason and now they have to turn off a feature to fix crashes -gg Codemasters & EA.

TheMan

This year's release of F1 seems to be in a really poor launch state. First they release an incomplete game making it impossible to recreate a full feason and now they have to turn off a feature to fix crashes -gg Codemasters & EA.
Yikes. Almost picked this up but I'm glad I held off. These games always go on sale suuuper fast anyway so Imma just wait for wait for a bit at this point

Having 3 tracks coming as free post launch dlc makes the game incomplete? The game still has over 20 tracks and is the best looking F1 game ever released. Playing on XSX and it's only locked up once during a cutscene. Besides that my experience thus far has been flawless.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Having 3 tracks coming as free post launch dlc makes the game incomplete? The game still has over 20 tracks and is the best looking F1 game ever released. Playing on XSX and it's only locked up once during a cutscene. Besides that my experience thus far has been flawless.
Yes it does, because we're talking about the tracks from this year's original calendar (before covid cancellations during the season), not some bonus tracks like Mugello from last year which were last minute additions and understandably not present in last year's game.

Games like F1 rely heavily on recreating each season and while you can't expect the devs to develop tracks based on sudden calendar changes they should prepare tracks which they had months to develop. Also as far as I know they didn't include the changes in the Spanish GP as well as just copy-pasted the old track layout. If this is your first F1 game you're gonna be satisfied, but if you buy these games on a yearly basis you are expecting these changes and additions.

Last edited:

chonga

It is launching on consoles that are vastly superior to the previous ones.

It better fucking be the best looking version.

Frankly, I think it looks very poor for a next-gen game.

And yes it does mean it is incomplete. If you hand in all but one page of your homework and then the final page a day late, did you complete it on time or not? Answer: not.

Bryank75

Banned
So, this is just in photo mode.

Shouldn't that be highlighted in the title and all the articles? Mod of War Mod of War

They all made it sound way worse than it is.... seems to be par for the course at the moment, where the media are constantly attacking PlayStation for any little thing.

Last edited:
So, this is just in photo mode.

Shouldn't that be highlighted in the title and all the articles? Mod of War Mod of War

They all made it sound way worse than it is.... seems to be par for the course at the moment, where the media are constantly attacking PlayStation for any little thing.
There are RT elements in the actual game as well

GHG

Gold Member
Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
From what I can see, it's just shadows during gameplay.

Anything else?
Some of the cars paint jobs reflect the surrounding cars and track…before it was faked but it’s real time now…this is disabled in performance mode

nobody has done a real deep dive on this yet but there are some pretty big differences between the versions
i just saw the above article but it still does not break down any frames or resolution in great detail...i will also say that it looks like RT is in-game on the cars...unless its another great fake job

Last edited:

Thanofski88

Neo Member
What's with all the hate?lol

Skipped 2020 ,but this year's it's awesome fun.
Great battles offline gameplay is great if you into no assists driving ,ps5 haptics make driving a real pleasure.some mtx here and there but nothing abusive (2k way )

Really a solid release.if rt was in-game I'd be bothered but since it's only on replays and stuff I don't care ....

GHG

Gold Member
Some of the cars paint jobs reflect the surrounding cars and track…before it was faked but it’s real time now…this is disabled in performance mode

nobody has done a real deep dive on this yet but there are some pretty big differences between the versions
i just saw the above article but it still does not break down any frames or resolution in great detail...i will also say that it looks like RT is in-game on the cars...unless its another great fake job

The official press release from EA/Codemasters also states its only in photomode/replays on next gen consoles:

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Yes it does, because we're talking about the tracks from this year's original calendar (before covid cancellations during the season), not some bonus tracks like Mugello from last year which were last minute additions and understandably not present in last year's game.

Games like F1 rely heavily on recreating each season and while you can't expect the devs to develop tracks based on sudden calendar changes they should prepare tracks which they had months to develop. Also as far as I know they didn't include the changes in the Spanish GP as well as just copy-pasted the old track layout. If this is your first F1 game you're gonna be satisfied, but if you buy these games on a yearly basis you are expecting these changes and additions.

Imola and Portimão were not on the original 2021 schedule and got added as Covid replacements again. Codemasters said they’re adding them in later.

The Saudi Arabia track is also going to be added in, but I don’t think it’s even finished being built either. They had the new Zandvoort and Vietnam tracks ready at launch last year, so it’s not like they have a history of failing to provide the full schedule.

Top Bottom