• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2021 holds No.1 spot as PS5 titles dwindle | UK Boxed Charts

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-1-spot-as-ps5-titles-dwindle-uk-boxed-charts
Codemasters' F1 2021 has held the No.1 spot for a second week, despite a 42% decline in sales week-over-week.
It was a strong week for Nintendo titles; The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD claimed second place once more, and is nowhere close to being overthrown despite a 44% drop in sales. Additionally, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe moved up two places to No.3 after a 14% uptick in sales, and it is followed closely by fellow Switch giant Animal Crossing: New Horizons at No.4, which enjoyed an 18% increase in sales.
Making its chart debut at No.10 was Square Enix's Neo: The World Ends With You, which released July 27. Sales for the title were also largely attributed to the Switch, with 63% of its launch week units purchased for the console.
Ratchet And Clank: Rift Apart, which sat at No.3 the week prior, is now way down at No.40 following an 87% decline in sales week-on-week.
jzAhfO5.png

Kuranghi

Skyward Sword HD isn't the most divisive game I like but it sure is a wild ride, I vacillate between "fuck this games plodding nature" and "ohh look at that character design, I love it!", back to "holy jesus how did this hellspawn of the a character design ever escape the depths of hell to terrorise me" and then back to "hahaha I love catching bugses!", a strange game indeed.

Where do you guys stand on Groose? Great or GTFO?

Markio128

I thought that R&C might become a bit of a system seller like Miles, but it doesn't have any legs. I think Horizon will be the next system seller.
I don’t think the PS5 needs a system seller at this point hahaha, but yeah, I expected R&C to hang around a bit longer in the charts. It may have a comeback once more PS5s are available to buy.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
eh, RnC sold over a million as reported last week, just doesnt do very well in UK.

why dont you include the below statement in your post btw? Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert

"Ratchet And Clank: Rift Apart, which sat at No.3 the week prior, is now way down at No.40 following an 87% decline in sales week-on-week. The title does seem to enjoy a spike every time a new batch of PS5s is released however, so it's likely to shoot up again in good time"

If you want to report something, at least report everything and not part of it.

Last edited:
I got Demon's Souls and loved it. Got Miles and regretted buying it. And that's it for me so far on PS5.

Not interested in Ratchet. Returnal is still too expensive for me.

eh, RnC sold over a million as reported last week, just doesnt do very well in UK.

why dont you include the below statement in your post btw? Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert

"Ratchet And Clank: Rift Apart, which sat at No.3 the week prior, is now way down at No.40 following an 87% decline in sales week-on-week. The title does seem to enjoy a spike every time a new batch of PS5s is released however, so it's likely to shoot up again in good time"

I'm interested in numbers, not commentary. The spikes so far have been from bundles iirc.

demigod

According to OP, UK sales don’t matter remember. I guess it only matters when there’s something negative about Sony.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I honestly think these £70 games are not working for Sony at all. How can you have a console like the PS5 selling twice as much as the competition in a month and Ratchet is only at 1.1 million sales worldwide and dropping like a rock in the UK charts where the console is flying off the shelves.

The console is over 10 million sold yet its major exclusive game has a just over ten percent attach rate. That seems crazy low to me for a new console in it's launch year.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I honestly think these £70 games are not working for Sony at all. How can you have a console like the PS5 selling twice as much as the competition in a month and Ratchet is only at 1.1 million sales worldwide and dropping like a rock in the UK charts where the console is flying off the shelves.

The console is over 10 million sold yet its major exclusive game has a just over ten percent attach rate. That seems crazy low to me for a new console in it's launch year.
I’m not sure what even you guys are trying to say.

1 million in a 10 million userbase is 10% attach rate… very few game sells that in consoles… in fact the best selling games on consoles sells around 10 million units in a 100 million userbase… it is exactly what R&C is selling right now but of course it is not these big sellers so it will slow down over time.

At that pace R&C will do over 5 million that is probably the best the franchise ever sold.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
My bro got this on PS5 and we gameshare, tempted to try it out. Never played an F1 game before. The stuff between Lewis and Max no doubt providing a wave of interest.

1 million in a 10 million userbase is 10% attach rate… very few game sells that in consoles… in fact the best selling games on consoles sells around 10 million units in a 100 million userbase… it is exactly what R&C is selling right now but of course it is not these big sellers so it will slow down over time.

At that pace R&C will do over 5 million that is probably the best the franchise ever sold.
Nintendo games had up to 50% attach rate this early in the gen. But Nintendo plays in its own league anyway with regards to 1st party.

Duchess

Got Miles and regretted buying it
What was it that you didn't like about it? Too similar to the original game? Too short? Just don't like Spider-Man? Because Miles is black*?

(* - that's a joke, all, don't get triggered - I'm not white, myself..!)

What was it that you didn't like about it? Too similar to the original game? Too short? Just don't like Spider-Man? Because Miles is black*?

(* - that's a joke, all, don't get triggered - I'm not white, myself..!)
Just too similar I guess. I just wasn't very compelled to play, and stopped out of boredom.

It's clearly a polished and well-made game, but I felt bored. I platinumed the original, and I guess I just didn't need more of it. If you want to get into the weeds a bit, I wasn't that into the stealth sections, and I felt the enemy placement was a little poor - but that this was worked around by giving him invisibility which just lets you stealth anyway regardless of level design.

I'll probably go back and finish it before Spider Man 2, or whatever is next. I'm hoping they change things up a lot more in the future.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
R&C is not a system seller. Never has been for a PS console I'd put it with a first party game like Fable or Mario Party or something. It'll get some hype, but there's no way that franchise gets put in the same league as the bigger name AAA games on any system.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Pretty bad for R&C... Apparently not many people playing (at least in the UK).
Its short, not very deep, even by ratchet standards, and once you get over the “omg pixar graphics!!!” Its kind of just average. I think the only reason it reviewed so high is because of the great first impression and makes and the fact that we are starved for ps5 exclusives. Im speaking from experience with this game, i got the platinum in it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Yeah I get your point on big exclusives selling that when there is a huge install base on Sony consoles. But what other games that are exclusive are PS5 owners buying? We know some are getting miles morales, but not Returnal and not Demons souls.

You would think when your ONLY real PS5 exclusive with mass appeal is dropping to 40th in the charts when you are selling gang busters of your console that something is up. it is no way the quality of the game....I can only put it down to the ridiculous pricing that Sony is pushing this gen.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yeah I get your point on big exclusives selling that when there is a huge install base on Sony consoles. But what other games that are exclusive are PS5 owners buying? We know some are getting miles morales, but not Returnal and not Demons souls.

You would think when your ONLY real PS5 exclusive with mass appeal is dropping to 40th in the charts when you are selling gang busters of your console that something is up. it is no way the quality of the game....I can only put it down to the ridiculous pricing that Sony is pushing this gen.
Most people don't care if a game is exclusive or not.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Like all Xbox and PS consoles, most people's game libraries are multiplats or third party games. Nintendo systems seem to have skewed sales to first party exclusives though. But thats due to the generally rubbish third party games you get on it (crappy ports or no port). NIntnendo systems lately have skewed to first party franchises and indie games. If someone wants solid good budget third party games, buy it on Xbox, PS or PC.

The best selling game is GTAV at supposedly 150 million copies. Sounds insane. It's like 50% of all console gamers lately bought it as well as PC.

But aside from that outlier, the best selling Xbox, PS or PC game probably maxes out at maybe 15%. Spiderman on PS4 I think sold about 20 million across 120+ million consoles, so that might be the best attachment rate out there for a PS or Xbox first party game.

Annual COD and FIFA I think sell about 20 million each too (not sure), but thats spread across way more platforms and unit base.

Last edited:

reksveks

I'd be worried, but Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert has taught me in several threads that UK boxed sales do not matter 😛
It's about 15% of UK gaming revenue I think.

I thought that R&C might become a bit of a system seller like Miles, but it doesn't have any legs. I think Horizon will be the next system seller.
trying to think for the more correct definition, it's more like a pack in title that you have to buy.

ethomaz

Banned

Man... PS4 attach rate is actually 11:1.
So on average people on consoles buys around 11 games per console for the whole generation... breaking in years that means around 1.5 game per year.
Switch has lower attach rate than that.

First year attach rate was around 3:1 or 4:1 for PS4... and that is for all games launched in the first year for that console.
In R&C cases each 10 PS5 owners are buying it that is crazy for a R&C game (it is a record for the franchise).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So old PS5 owners don't buy games? 😂
That is how console business works.
The "old" PS5 owners that wants the game already brought it at launch.
"Old" PS5 owners will buy new releases when they got released.
Games already released will get most of it sales with "new" PS5 owners.

That are exceptions of course (like a big fire sale in a old game but we are taking about R&C, no?).
Remember early adopters usually buys games at launch with full price.

Who wants R&C in that 10 million use base already brought it (> 1 million)... R&C sales now will mostly rely on new PS5 owners... well everygame it like that (sell a lot at launch to existing users and after rely in new console owners to have legs... GTAV is the best example and that is why it keep selling).

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Skyward Sword HD isn't the most divisive game I like but it sure is a wild ride, I vacillate between "fuck this games plodding nature" and "ohh look at that character design, I love it!", back to "holy jesus how did this hellspawn of the a character design ever escape the depths of hell to terrorise me" and then back to "hahaha I love catching bugses!", a strange game indeed.

Where do you guys stand on Groose? Great or GTFO?

I think it's got the best character design in the series. Every time I walk into that merchant tent I have a huge grin on my face at how stupid everyone looks (in a good / charming way).

Groose - I can see why people hate him, but I love him in a loathsome sort of way.

This. I think the price is barely OK in US but in Europe the £70 / €80 price tag is too high. And it shows. Personnaly I own Ratchet only because it was bundled and I would not have bought it at this price. I want Returnal, but not at this price.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I think it's got the best character design in the series. Every time I walk into that merchant tent I have a huge grin on my face at how stupid everyone looks (in a good / charming way).

Groose - I can see why people hate him, but I love him in a loathsome sort of way.

Thats the thing, I love almost all of the main character designs, like all the people in the bazaar as you say, I also really like Peater, but just ocasionally they are terrifyingly ugly, like the Sylvester Stallone looking potion woman haha. I'm not a massive fan of the red and blue bokoblin design in the game but its still miles better than those purple witches esque 'blins in TTP.

I really like Groose tbh, he's the most characterful NPC I've ever seen in a Zelda game and thats probably in part due to the better cinematography in this game.

jigglet

Banned
Thats the thing, I love almost all of the main character designs, like all the people in the bazaar as you say, I also really like Peater, but just ocasionally they are terrifyingly ugly, like the Sylvester Stallone looking potion woman haha. I'm not a massive fan of the red and blue bokoblin design in the game but its still miles better than those purple witches esque 'blins in TTP.

I really like Groose tbh, he's the most characterful NPC I've ever seen in a Zelda game and thats probably in part due to the better cinematography in this game.

Yeah there are some freakish ones that's for sure. Nightmarish stuff.

Top Bottom