• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2020 - Announce Trailer (Out on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Stadia July 10 2020)

Boss Mog

Excuse me, what?
I just thought it was funny trying to combat racism with an all black Mercedes when Hitler famously drove around in all black Mercedes 770 (he even gifted one to Mussolini and Franco) but I guess Mr oh so serious GHG GHG over here wasn't amused and now he's rambling on trying to antagonize me, poor fella.

GHG

I just thought it was funny trying to combat racism with an all black Mercedes when Hitler famously drove around in all black Mercedes 770 (he even gifted one to Mussolini and Franco) but I guess Mr oh so serious GHG GHG over here wasn't amused and now he's rambling on trying to antagonize me, poor fella.

Now you want to play the victim? Classic.

Poor you.

He's driving an all black mercedes for BLM or some such nonesense. Hitler was also famous for riding in an all black mercedes.

Its kinda funny how this half-white BLM (which at this point is not about equality but supremacy) supporter loves to collaborate with companies that went big by working for Nazis. Not only that he drives for Mercedes, he also has a contract with Puma. Oh, the irony.

Screenshot-2020-04-19-at-11.53.36-750x488.png

Regarding the game itself: looks likes a lazy cash-grab. I'm tired of Codemasters lately.

Boss Mog

Its kinda funny how this half-white BLM (which at this point is not about equality but supremacy) supporter loves to collaborate with companies that went big by working for Nazis. Not only that he drives for Mercedes, he also has a contract with Puma. Oh, the irony.

Regarding the game itself: looks likes a lazy cash-grab. I'm tired of Codemasters lately.
Plus the whole concept of having an all black car, it's like the black square on social media, it does absolutely fuck all to stop actual racism, just a pathetic virtue signal that probably does more harm than good.

GHG

Victim? Man you've got some issues...

Hey, I'm not the one feeling so aggrieved by a car livery 🤷🏾‍♂️

Plus the whole concept of having an all black car, it's like the black square on social media, it does absolutely fuck all to stop actual racism, just a pathetic virtue signal that probably does more harm than good.

And this is where you're wrong. Hamilton was entirely behind the idea. He's the only black person in a sport that is entirely dominated by white faces top to bottom. He of all people will know what it's like to have got where he is and the struggles other black people trying to break into the sport at any level will face (whether that's as a driver or simply as a mechanic).

This isn't some white person sat behind their computer screen haphazardly putting together some white text on a black background trying to make themselves (and/or their company) feel better. This isn't coming from someone who has never spoken out about the institutional racism that has plagued motorsport since it's inception.

Whether it does more harm than good remains to be seen, but the idea of an all black livery is coming from someone who has been vocal and outspoken about racism and their experiences of racism in the sport (which date back to his karting days as a kid) for years. If anyone has the right to take a risk (in the sense of it potentially causing more harm than good) like this in order to make a statement then it's him. You might want to brush up on the meaning of virtue signaling, because this ain't it.

The dinosaurs of motorsport and those who share their attitudes have many years of hurt ahead of them until they are extinct.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Hey, I'm not the one feeling so aggrieved by a car livery 🤷🏾‍♂️

And this is where you're wrong. Hamilton was entirely behind the idea. He's the only black person in a sport that is entirely dominated by white faces top to bottom. He of all people will know what it's like to have got where he is and the struggles other black people trying to break into the sport at any level will face (whether that's as a driver or simply as a mechanic).

This isn't some white person sat behind their computer screen haphazardly putting together some white text on a black background trying to make themselves (and/or their company) feel better. This isn't coming from someone who has never spoken out about the institutional racism that has plagued motorsport since it's inception.

Whether it does more harm than good remains to be seen, but the idea of an all black livery is coming from someone who has been vocal and outspoken about racism and their experiences of racism in the sport (which date back to his karting days as a kid) for years. If anyone has the right to take a risk (in the sense of it potentially causing more harm than good) like this in order to make a statement then it's him. You might want to brush up on the meaning of virtue signaling, because this ain't it.

The dinosaurs of motorsport and those who share their attitudes have many years of hurt ahead of them until they are extinct.
Racing is an expensive sport, and that’s the barrier of entry. Not sure what the big mystery is in all this. There are many sports where a majority minority exists, nba, nfl. Where’s the racism? Start looking at the grass roots issues, not outcomes that don’t influence anything. The most revered f1 driver is him & black and the organisation is racist?

Again looking for a victim hood narrative in an egalitarian process.

I’ve lost respect for Hamilton in all this, not because he’s against racism obviously; it’s the shaming of fellow drivers and teams to conform & kneel. In the most international sport around, far removed from Americans history of slavery. Despicable.

Racing is an expensive sport, and that’s the barrier of entry. Not sure what the big mystery is in all this. There are many sports where a majority minority exists, nba, nfl. Where’s the racism? Start looking at the grass roots issues, not outcomes that don’t influence anything. The most revered f1 driver is him & black and the organisation is racist?

I’ve lost respect for Hamilton in all this, not because he’s against racism obviously; it’s the shaming of fellow drivers and teams to conform & kneel. In the most international sport around, far removed from Americans history of slavery. Despicable.

Except that he didn't. He asked for the sports' leaders to do something about increasing diversity, of which there is absolutely none in F1 beyond a handful of non-white drivers. He even clarified that he didn't force drivers to do anything.

F1 is not an international sport, when 90+% of people involved are white/caucasians hailing from Western Europe, and the sport has its roots in predominantly upper/noble class (well, at least in the UK). And HAM has been victim of racism (either blatant like the blackface episode in Spain), or subtle, e.g., how his lifestyle is unbecoming of an F1 driver (i.e., jet-setting, hanging out with rappers, wearing chains, etc.).

I agree with HAM to push diversity within teams by helping minorities studying in STEM fields. To be clear, I'm not for equality of outcome, rather of opportunity, but you did highlight a high barrier to entry and I think that's what HAM/Merc want to tackle with their new initiative.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

It's a class issue first and foremost (the same issues exist in Golf and Tennis to a lesser extent), so these sports are traditionally "white sports" mostly due to the reality that not many black people (and families) have broken into what could be defined as the "upper class" bracket and above in countries where these sports are prominent. This will improve organically as time goes by in modern Western societies as black families become more established and cross-generational wealth is gradually accumulated.

However, while this process is happening do you think it's right that the few black families who are in a financial position to give their kids the opportunity to break into an expensive sport (like motorsport) are subjected to racist abuse? Do you think its right that black kids as young as 8 years old are being subjected to racist abuse while learning their craft or simply trying to enjoy their hobby? Is that what you call an egalitarian process? Is that a supportive environment for black children and their families while getting into the sport for the first time?

Lewis' current actions are shaped by his experiences and he's trying to create an environment within the sport where other people don't have to go through the abuse that he did to get where he is today, this isn't about slavery in America.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Except that he didn't. He asked for the sports' leaders to do something about increasing diversity, of which there is absolutely none in F1 beyond a handful of non-white drivers. He even clarified that he didn't force drivers to do anything.

F1 is not an international sport, when 90+% of people involved are white/caucasians hailing from Western Europe, and the sport has its roots in predominantly upper/noble class (well, at least in the UK). And HAM has been victim of racism (either blatant like the blackface episode in Spain), or subtle, e.g., how his lifestyle is unbecoming of an F1 driver (i.e., jet-setting, hanging out with rappers, wearing chains, etc.).

I agree with HAM to push diversity within teams by helping minorities studying in STEM fields. To be clear, I'm not for equality of outcome, rather of opportunity, but you did highlight a high barrier to entry and I think that's what HAM/Merc want to tackle with their new initiative.
This is asking?...direct quote.

Apart from that I follow f1 and have seen the interviews. He further calls out prominent people he knows with a platform. I’ve seen the words come out of his mouth.

Regarding pushing for stem, this is not anything revolutionary by HAM, but he sure likes the spotlight. Nope, the man no longer registers with me, because it’s superficial doublespeak more Aiken to virtue signalling. And in my assessment his tepid foundations goal is only to remain plausible based on someone reigning him in, while his real goal is for equality of outcomes.

Screenshot%202020-06-01%20at%2011.11.51.png

Shmunter

It's a class issue first and foremost (the same issues exist in Golf and Tennis to a lesser extent), so these sports are traditionally "white sports" mostly due to the reality that not many black people (and families) have broken into what could be defined as the "upper class" bracket and above in countries where these sports are prominent. This will improve organically as time goes by in modern Western societies as black families become more established and cross-generational wealth is gradually accumulated.

However, while this process is happening do you think it's right that the few black families who are in a financial position to give their kids the opportunity to break into an expensive sport (like motorsport) are subjected to racist abuse? Do you think its right that black kids as young as 8 years old are being subjected to racist abuse while learning their craft or simply trying to enjoy their hobby? Is that what you call an egalitarian process? Is that a supportive environment for black children and their families while getting into the sport for the first time?

Lewis' current actions are shaped by his experiences and he's trying to create an environment within the sport where other people don't have to go through the abuse that he did to get where he is today, this isn't about slavery in America.
Child bigotry will always exist against those different. It’s superficial, the red haired kid, the fat kid, the kid with a lisp. The minority black kid doesn’t have a monopoly on being bullied.

The ultimate goal is one of respecting each other and our differences. The identity politics push by HAM and his ilk ironically has the opposite effect by segregating and pronouncing differences and creating tribal mentality.

I’ve said enough on the topic, critical thinking is incompatible with the far left nonsense.

GHG

Child bigotry will always exist against those different. It’s superficial, the red haired kid, the fat kid, the kid with a lisp. The minority black kid doesn’t have a monopoly on being bullied.

The ultimate goal is one of respecting each other and our differences. The identity politics push by HAM and his ilk ironically has the opposite effect by segregating and pronouncing differences and creating tribal mentality.

I’ve said enough on the topic, critical thinking is incompatible with the far left nonsense.

This isn't about kids taking jabs at each other on the playground. This is full grown adults hurling racist abuse at other peoples kids because of the colour of their skin while the event organisers stand by and do nothing.

The only thing all of this has done is make people who are racist or willfully ignorant towards racism (e.g. Those who scream racism doesn't exist or is only an American problem) take a look at themselves.

Regarding Hamilton I'd suggest you (and anyone else who finds themselves suddenly taking a dislike to Hamilton and Mercedes because of this) read the following article:

It covers a number of things that have been said throughout this thread.

Things can't and won't change overnight but the least people can do is be open minded and try to understand what people have experienced, how that has affected them and what the implications are for those who wish to take a similar path in the future. If you're not willing to at least do that then there's a tough long road ahead because this isn't going away. Asking for equality shouldn't have to be this much of a difficult conversation everywhere but here we are. I guess people liked the status quo, whether they openly acknowledged it or not.

Anyway, my last comment in this thread regarding this, I don't come here to discuss this shit, it's a videogames forum. I'm not far left either for what it's worth, far from it, there are plenty of things that have gone on with the BLM movement that I fundamentally disagree with (however Hamilton is not someone using the movement for malicious gain, I've made that much clear already). But if you want to think that and use it as a defense mechanism then go ahead. Introspection is harder than deflection.

Last edited:

Shmunter

This isn't about kids taking jabs at each other on the playground. This is full grown adults hurling racist abuse at other peoples kids because of the colour of their skin while the event organisers stand by and do nothing.

The only thing all of this has done is make people who are racist or willfully ignorant towards racism (e.g. Those who scream racism doesn't exist or is only an American problem) take a look at themselves.

Regarding Hamilton I'd suggest you (and anyone else who finds themselves suddenly taking a dislike to Hamilton and Mercedes because of this) read the following article:

It covers a number of things that have been said throughout this thread.

Things can't and won't change overnight but the least people can do is be open minded and try to understand what people have experienced, how that has affected them and what the implications are for those who wish to take a similar path in the future. If you're not willing to at least do that then there's a tough long road ahead because this isn't going away. Asking for equality shouldn't have to be this much of a difficult conversation everywhere but here we are. I guess people liked the status quo, whether they openly acknowledged it or not.

Anyway, my last comment in this thread regarding this, I don't come here to discuss this shit, it's a videogames forum. I'm not far left either for what it's worth, far from it, there are plenty of things that have gone on with the BLM movement that I fundamentally disagree with (however Hamilton is not someone using the movement for malicious gain, I've made that much clear already). But if you want to think that and use it as a defense mechanism then go ahead. Introspection is harder than deflection.
In today’s ‘camera in everyone’s pocket’ there must be plenty of evidence out there of this taking place. Where is it?

Based on my long life, living in a multicultural society predominantly white, I have yet to witness acts of adults hurling racist abuse at children. And I have children and attend sports multiple times weekly.

No doubt there is racism, however from my perspective it’s elevation to the hysteria as seen today is a result of it being a political football that cannot go away in a 2 party system dependent on soliciting votes based on ones skin colour. It will be rolled out over and over, as history shows.

People eat it up blindly without question it. I’ve seen protesters on camera proclaiming that police kill more black people than actual victims of crime. Mob mentality, nothing to do with reality.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

"lazy cash-grab"

Talking of getting tired of stuff....

alstrike

How could Puma get big working with Nazis when it was founded in 1948? I know it was founded by one of the Dassler brothers but still...

How could Puma get big working with Nazis when it was founded in 1948? I know it was founded by one of the Dassler brothers but still...
It was founded by a known Nazi party member and someone who actively did business with Nazis. I think that's why it's ironic. We can debate where Adidias or Puma would be today without their business assassination with Nazis but it's not really relevant.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Bet you wouldn't say that to his face pussy
What does that even mean? I wouldn't ask him "Is your Hitler-mobile in F1 2020?". Why wouldn't I ask him that? You'd think he'd get mad? I think he's just be like "Hitler-mobile?" and then I'd be like "yeah cause Hitler famously drove an all black Mercedes, probably not the best look for an anti-racism campaign". And hopefully he'd say "hmmm yeah maybe i should do it differently".

Also why are you personally insulting me, that's the mark of a weak-minded individual. You probably won't last long here if you casually throw insults at users like that. If you want to engage in a discussion about the content of what I posted then feel free.

AllBizness

Banned
What does that even mean? I wouldn't ask him "Is your Hitler-mobile in F1 2020?". Why wouldn't I ask him that? You'd think he'd get mad? I think he's just be like "Hitler-mobile?" and then I'd be like "yeah cause Hitler famously drove an all black Mercedes, probably not the best look for an anti-racism campaign". And hopefully he'd say "hmmm yeah maybe i should do it differently".

Also why are you personally insulting me, that's the mark of a weak-minded individual. You probably won't last long here if you casually throw insults at users like that. If you want to engage in a discussion about the content of what I posted then feel free.
You're the one with the weak mind being low key racist thinking no one would catch it. Don't reply to me anymore.

Boss Mog

Lol Mansa Mussa was not racist.
He had a ton of slaves, also islam isn't exactly known to be very tolerant towards non-muslims. But he does look pretty cool in some of his depictions, I'll give you that. But anyway lets not get off on the wrong foot friend. I made a joke, I probably should've saved it for the politics side but I didn't think it would derail the thread like it did. So my bad on that one and let us all move on.

AllBizness

Banned
He had a ton of slaves, also islam isn't exactly known to be very tolerant towards non-muslims. But he does look pretty cool in some of his depictions, I'll give you that. But anyway lets not get off on the wrong foot friend. I made a joke, I probably should've saved it for the politics side but I didn't think it would derail the thread like it did. So my bad on that one and let us all move on.
Let's move on, back on topic I might pick up F1 this year its been a while. Going to need to get my sim racing fix on PS5 until GT7 arrives.

Shmunter

Hamilton just doesn’t give up naming and shaming....F1 the next NBA or bust...

“I think ultimately Formula 1, yes they’ve taken a step forward, but there’s absolutely more they can do,” Hamilton said. “And I think the governing body also, who set the rules, who dictate in many ways what these teams do. I asked on a call we had on Zoom, I said ‘look, at the moment F1 has come forward and said they’re supporting end racism’ and it’s amazing to see Mercedes doing the same thing, but no other team has said a single thing.

“We’ve seen Red Bull mechanics take a knee, which is great, but publicly as businesses and as teams, if you look at Ferrari ,who have thousands of people working with them, I’ve heard no word of Ferrari saying that they hold themselves accountable and this is what they’re going to do for their future. We need the teams to do that, and we need Formula 1 and the FIA to be more leading in those scenarios, saying, ‘hey guys, all of us together, everyone needs to pull together and fight for this so we can improve’.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Hamilton just doesn’t give up naming and shaming....F1 the next NBA or bust...

“I think ultimately Formula 1, yes they’ve taken a step forward, but there’s absolutely more they can do,” Hamilton said. “And I think the governing body also, who set the rules, who dictate in many ways what these teams do. I asked on a call we had on Zoom, I said ‘look, at the moment F1 has come forward and said they’re supporting end racism’ and it’s amazing to see Mercedes doing the same thing, but no other team has said a single thing.

“We’ve seen Red Bull mechanics take a knee, which is great, but publicly as businesses and as teams, if you look at Ferrari ,who have thousands of people working with them, I’ve heard no word of Ferrari saying that they hold themselves accountable and this is what they’re going to do for their future. We need the teams to do that, and we need Formula 1 and the FIA to be more leading in those scenarios, saying, ‘hey guys, all of us together, everyone needs to pull together and fight for this so we can improve’.
Imo we should move all the conversations about politics in F1 to a separate thread - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mercedes-f1-changes-livery-in-support-of-blm.1551987/ There was already one user annoyed about discussing politics in non-politics section in the F1 season thread.

Personally I hope that the BLM / rainbow liveries won't be patched into F1 2020 and that the game will recreate the initial liveries (like they left the Rich Energy Haas one in F1 2019).

Last edited:

Shmunter

Imo we should move all the conversations about politics in F1 to a separate thread - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/mercedes-f1-changes-livery-in-support-of-blm.1551987/ There was already one user annoyed about discussing politics in non-politics section in the F1 season thread.

Personally I hope that the BLM / rainbow liveries won't be patched into F1 2020 and that the game will recreate the initial liveries (like they left the Rich Energy Haas one in F1 2019).
Yeah your right, I didn’t even consider it, just followed the convo. Definitely should leave pure games discussion unsullied with the bankruptcy of politics.

Sleepwalker

Fwiw I picked up this game and I really really like it. Its a blast to play in multiplayer with my group of friends (around 15-17 players)

CAPSOL

The amount of hate LW , a 6 time world champion, gets is interesting to say the least. Also, the Black Livery on the Merc looks amazing. fuck the haters

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think Hamilton wears people out. I mean, he's a champion, and he has expectations, but you can kind of tell on the radio comms, the way they answer him sometimes in a sort of put upon, world weary way :p

nemiroff

Gold Member
Once Mercedes started their win streaks, and went woke, after decades of following F1 I had enough. Haven't looked back since. I almost looked at the highlights from the last race when I heard Mercedes didn't win but I went astray.. Fuck Mercedes, fuck BLM, fuck Hamilton, fuck F1. Anyway, this game needs VR mode.

Last edited:

CAPSOL

Once Mercedes started their win streaks, and went woke, after decades of following F1 I had enough. Haven't looked back since. I almost looked at the highlights from the last race when I heard Mercedes didn't win but I went astray.. Fuck Mercedes, fuck BLM, fuck Hamilton, fuck F1. Anyway, this game needs VR mode.
Might as well just turn off all sports then.

MastaKiiLA

Yikes! You shouldn't watch sports. You shouldn't watch anything. Stay in your bunker.

Lewis is by far the most popular driver on the grid, and he uses his platform well. Speaks out on things he believes in, and has attended a protest to support the cause. There aren't any more Ali's, but Kaep, Bron, and Lewis have at least chosen to use their voices to raise awareness. They could just have pulled a Jordan and made money off false public images, while being assholes in secret.

Anyway, the all-black Merc is dope. The W11 is an absolute monster too, now that they had to work all winter to overcome a cheater Ferrari engine. I look forward to him winning a 7th WDC, and seeing all his detractors moan for another year running. He's the best of his generation, and that Merc team is hitting on all cylinders. It's a great time to be a Hammy fan.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Might as well just turn off all sports then.

Pretty much yes, and that's just about exactly what I've done. Sports was an important part of my culture and my family. But after almost a lifetime of following F1, I have in effect now ended it. And it wasn't just politics, Mercedes'/Hamilton's dominance was basically a near death-blow (just like any other team's dominance, it's never a good thing for the health of the sport), and their BLM support was just the last drop.

BTW, if anyone is wondering how F1 gets their insanely high viewership from it's worth to note that all it takes to be counted as a viewer of F1 is three minutes of consecutive viewing at any time during the season. It's funny because it's true. It gets even funnier though, because at one time F1 had 58 billion viewers (that's right: 58 BILLION) because of the way they counted.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
BLM support turned you off of watching the sport? I'm afraid that says more about you than about them. Good luck to you sir

nemiroff

Gold Member
BLM support turned you off of watching the sport? I'm afraid that says more about you than about them. Good luck to you sir

Yes, imagine that; A sport that supports a rioting militant hack organisation that is both racist and goes hand in hand with the terrorist organisation ANTIFA turns me off.. How can it be /s

Top Bottom