• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eyeballistic will repitch Mortal Kombat Trilogy HD Remakes to Warner Bros + New Exclusive Screenshots

GreatnessRD

• Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Mortal Kombat 2
  • Mortal Kombat 9 (PS3)
That's the list. They should remaster Mk9 because I'm good on that Street Fighter-like bullshit known as MKX and 11.

Now to get back on topic, it would be nice to see these 4K remasters.

Holammer

Getting some bad Super Street Fighter HD Remix vibes.
Remember that? No, me neither, had to google to find it. It ruins the look completely, like some B-tier Image Comics comic.

Saucy Papi

Ed Boon has already teased on twitter that they have big plans for MK's 30th anniversary next year. When someone responded and asked him if they were bringing the klassic games to modern systems, he responded with "I wish i could say more right now, but i cant".

My guess is this is (or something similar done in-house by NRS) is already coming next year. And it would be ABOUT MF'ING TIME!!!!!!
I would love for it to be true. However, I hope it's not the arcade versions again. The AI is nothing short of atrocious in them since they were designed to suck up your quarters.

ACESHIGH

Banned
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Mortal Kombat 2
  • Mortal Kombat 9 (PS3)
That's the list. They should remaster Mk9 because I'm good on that Street Fighter-like bullshit known as MKX and 11.

Now to get back on topic, it would be nice to see these 4K remasters.

No need for a Remaster, the PC port looks great, has quite the modding community and can run on a toaster.
Regarding this, I am not a fan of HD remakes of SD games. The Arcade versions of classic MK games look great with CRT shaders.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
DKbDd8H.jpg

angry better call saul GIF

tygertrip

Don't want to sound like a boomer, but I prefer the original pixelated look. It matches the grittiness of the games.

Kudos to Eyeballistic, though. They did a great job in faithfully remaking the graphics.
Your opinion is perfectly valid, of course. But I think it is worth noting that the graphics were considered absolutely incredible at the time, nothing "gritty" about the pixels at all. Not to mention, it doesn't look all pixelated when seen on the CRT monitor it was designed for.

Buki1

Street Fighter HD Remix still looks ages better than this MK HD Remake. And we only see selected screenshots from MK, something tells me it would look weird as hell in motions since they had very few frames per every move.

To make it properly they would have to reshoot everything from the scratch with new actors in 4k and 60fps for every move. And this would need high budget and results may still be very bad. Thats probably why Netherealm never did this on their own.

Getting some bad Super Street Fighter HD Remix vibes.
Remember that? No, me neither, had to google to find it. It ruins the look completely, like some B-tier Image Comics comic.

First thought that came to mind. The only reason I bought and ever played HD Remix was because it was the easiest/most convenient way for me to play Super Turbo, which is one of my favorite games of all time. The SECOND the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection came out, I put HD Remix down and have not touched it ever since.

Hideous art style.

I would love for it to be true. However, I hope it's not the arcade versions again. The AI is nothing short of atrocious in them since they were designed to suck up your quarters.
Yup, as someone who has played a lot of classic fighting games, all the Mortal Kombat games in the trilogy (1, 2, 3, UMK3, MKT) have THE absolute worst AI I've ever experienced. Beats even the SNK fighting game AI, which anyone with eyes can easily tell just reads your controller inputs.

Saucy Papi

Yup, as someone who has played a lot of classic fighting games, all the Mortal Kombat games in the trilogy (1, 2, 3, UMK3, MKT) have THE absolute worst AI I've ever experienced. Beats even the SNK fighting game AI, which anyone with eyes can easily tell just reads your controller inputs.
I only had issues with the arcade collection. I played a copy of the PS1 version of MK3 and it played great. I didn't have any issues with the AI just reacting to my button prompts like the arcade collection which was a massive turn off.

I have insane muscle memory when it comes to the original mortal kombat games, i pray they bring it with online. Me and my brother would have mortal kombat marathons, oh my goodness mk2 was the peak of mortal kombat, mk3 was the peak hype.

I only had issues with the arcade collection. I played a copy of the PS1 version of MK3 and it played great. I didn't have any issues with the AI just reacting to my button prompts like the arcade collection which was a massive turn off.
That may be the case, and I never played MK3 on PS1, but every other version I've played -- MK2 on SNES (I also have an arcade version I bought for... PS3, I want to say?), UMK3 on either SNES or Saturn, MK Trilogy on PS1 -- the AI was atrocious. Can only be described as "blatant button reading."

Now that I think about it... compared to all of those examples, MK1 on the SNES was actually somewhat tolerable from what I remember.

If you just wanna screw around with the old rosters upressed I highly recommend MK New Era

Also has lots or characters from other games that had digitized actors like the old wrestling games, etc.

sddefault.jpg

I would SO Main Razor Ramon. Every time I kick someone's ass I'd exclaim: "You've just got taken out by the Bad guy, Chico!"

Also, lol@that roster

MrFunSocks

Banned
That may be the case, and I never played MK3 on PS1, but every other version I've played -- MK2 on SNES (I also have an arcade version I bought for... PS3, I want to say?), UMK3 on either SNES or Saturn, MK Trilogy on PS1 -- the AI was atrocious. Can only be described as "blatant button reading."

Now that I think about it... compared to all of those examples, MK1 on the SNES was actually somewhat tolerable from what I remember.
That's how arcade game AI was made, especially to increase difficulty.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Your opinion is perfectly valid, of course. But I think it is worth noting that the graphics were considered absolutely incredible at the time, nothing "gritty" about the pixels at all. Not to mention, it doesn't look all pixelated when seen on the CRT monitor it was designed for.
Absolutely. But I was just comparing the HD look with the original from a modern standpoint, CRT or not.
I didn't mean "gritty" as an insult, I just meant it's not as clear as the HD graphics. I also referred to the games themselves as gritty because of their violence.

Should've used a word other than "pixelated" tho. Like lower resolution/details? (I'm bad with technical terms 😂)

Last edited:
If you just wanna screw around with the old rosters upressed I highly recommend MK New Era

Also has lots or characters from other games that had digitized actors like the old wrestling games, etc.

sddefault.jpg

"Boob Saibot"!!! (TrampTimestamped) 🤣

WorldHero

I think they should at least let them help Warner/Netherrealm with the remakes. It's clear they have passion for the game. Personally I've been dying for a remake of any type of old MK, so I'll take what I can get.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

No need for a Remaster, the PC port looks great, has quite the modding community and can run on a toaster.
Regarding this, I am not a fan of HD remakes of SD games. The Arcade versions of classic MK games look great with CRT shaders.
Fair enough. I wish I could find the MK9 PC for purchase, but haven't seen it anywhere. Missed the boat like when MGS1 was gone until GOG came to the rescue.

Ozzie666

I'd take some of the new games and characters de-scaled and de-ported down to the original style of digitized sprites. I think a true MK4 and MK4 ultimate, or straight remakes of 4 to the most recent, would be awesome. But that is just me.

tygertrip

First thought that came to mind. The only reason I bought and ever played HD Remix was because it was the easiest/most convenient way for me to play Super Turbo, which is one of my favorite games of all time. The SECOND the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection came out, I put HD Remix down and have not touched it ever since.

Hideous art style.

It was gorgeous art. Those of us that were actually around and playing games when low-res pixel art was state of the art, know that what people think of as “pixel art” looks atrocious on anything but the low-res CRTs they were designed for. This cork-sniffing from pretentious youngsters is hilarious…

RAIDEN1

The BIG question is what do Warner Bros decide to do to celebrate the 30th anniversary launch of the franchise next year...do we get a definitive collection? * (*Definitive I mean not GTA definitive...but it wouldn't surprise me..)

Last edited:
Top Bottom