• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Experience PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech with compatible headsets at launch, TV Virtual Surround Sound coming after launch

saintjules

I have this pre-ordered on Amazon, but was trying to find out if it was worth it seeing as I have the Gold Wireless headset already. Still deciding.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The launch of PlayStation 5 is less than two months away, and we couldn’t be more excited to deliver an all-new and even more immersive gaming experience to our fans. We’ve talked in the past about how the DualSense wireless controller will make games feel more real, but today we wanted to focus on how the PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech will change the way games sound and how you can hear it for yourself.

The upcoming Pulse 3D wireless headset has been engineered to take full advantage of PS5’s 3D Audio capabilities (check out a new image above). With a refined design, dual noise-cancelling microphones, and an array of easy-access controls, the Pulse 3D wireless headset offers a seamless experience for both the PS5 and PS4. We think it offers a fantastic audio experience for the PS5, but it isn’t the only way that fans can experience the increased presence and locality that we discussed in our last technical update.

On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.
Headphone audio is the current gold standard for 3D Audio on PS5, as Mark Cerny mentioned in his “Road to PS5” talk in March. We’re also in the process of working on virtual surround sound through speakers that are built into TVs. Although TV speaker virtual surround sound won’t be available on launch day for PS5, it’s still a feature we are extremely excited about, and our engineers are hard at work on bringing it to PS5 in the future.

In the meantime, I’m happy to say that you’ll be able to enjoy the PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech through your compatible headphones in many PS5 games. Some of the PS5 games with 3D Audio features include Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, Astro’s Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, Returnal, Destruction AllStars, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Horizon Forbidden West, Resident Evil Village, and many others.

In case you missed it, check out what some PS5 developers had to say about how Tempest 3D AudioTech is enabling them to push the boundaries of game innovation.
We hope you’re just as excited as we are to hear game worlds come to life with Tempest 3D AudioTech on PS5 when it launches this November.

Already preorder my Pulse 3D with the console + extra controller and charging station. (y)

EDIT: Will try my Astro A40 if they're good through the DS controller.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
It's based on physics and biology. Physical speakers are actually the fake surround, because the sound can only come from a limited number of fixed points in your room - the speakers. If they get the math right for your specific head HRTF can have audio come from literally anywhere around you, and it would be indistinguishable from sound actually coming from those locations. A lot of variables though and I doubt they can get it perfect.

Except sound waves just don't work this way. There's NEVER going to be a time when Sony or any company will be able to make the sound coming from a soundbar in the front of the room to feel like it's coming from behind you, above you, and beside you like a proper 7.2.4 theater audio system can (even though those speakers are fixed points).

Except sound waves just don't work this way. There's NEVER going to be a time when Sony or any company will be able to make the sound coming from a soundbar in the front of the room to feel like it's coming from behind you, above you, and beside you like a proper 7.2.4 theater audio system can (even though those speakers are fixed points).
Yeah actually the more I think about this the less likely it seems they could do this. Headphones work because only one ear is hearing each output, but anything they come up with for the TV would have to account for both ears hearing both shifted outputs. I have no idea how they could overcome that in a way that approaches the fidelity of the headphone solution, but they think they have something so who knows.

mitchman

Gold Member
So if I route the sound to my Sony receiver and use a BT headset like Sony's own XM3, I won't get 3D audio? That's concerning.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Even with them clarifying later in the article, using the term "compatible" may serve to confuse people and sell more Pulse 3D headsets, but it's muddying the message. HRTF audio should just require stereo headphones/headsets/earphones. No addition hardware, no special hardware, no additional decoding. It should be baked into a 2.0 stereo stream.

Sony really need to do a better job of conveying this to the layman. Years of virtual surround headphones and fake "3D" audio headphones that have nothing to do with what they're doing here has made it so pain in the arse for people to understand. And a lot of people who haven't experienced top-notch custom HRTF-based, 3D audio are very skeptical -- often conflating it with surround sound, virtual surround or universal 3D post-processing.

This is gonna lift headphones up massively with proper locality and presence, a virtualised version should lift TV speakers up somewhat and at least make the best of the setup.

As for surround setups, I expect basic dolby/dts/lpcm surround will still be available as it is now. Though DTS:X and/Atmos would be nice. But it seems Sony intend to implement their own approach for Surround setups down the line, likely probing the soundscape differently but ultimately deriving the audio from the same end-to-end Tempest pipeline for a more universal approach that adapts to make the best out of any setup.

If they wanna nail this, I expect you'll be asked to choose between over-ear, on-ear, in-ear for headphones. Down-firing, rear-facing, front-facing, in-panel for TVs (plus seating distance and speaker-spacing). And for surround, your particular setup and relative seating position (though I wonder if they can flag the additional height channels on a receiver or if they'll have to put the stream in a DTS:X or Atmos wrapper).

In addition you'll choose or create your own HRTF profile for your own ears.

It'd be nice to see a unified setup wizard that makes this really straightforward. And for their to be multiple overall setup profiles that can be quick-selected from a PS side-menu.

For non-headphone options, I'd think they might be able to utilise the microphone in the DS5 + sounds from the speakers to determine general player position and settings, just like some receiver+surround setups do.

imbrock

Banned
I like the sound of this tech, I've been a bit of an audiophile for a while now and have noticed the difference in audio quality between the consoles and my pc with a nice sound card in it. Even vs my pc without the soundcard there is a big difference, so this is definitely promising for playstation.

I'm curious to see how they implement it for full sound systems down the road but I'm definitely excited to plug my favourite headphones into the dualsense and see if it works as advertised.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah actually the more I think about this the less likely it seems they could do this. Headphones work because only one ear is hearing each output, but anything they come up with for the TV would have to account for both ears hearing both shifted outputs. I have no idea how they could overcome that in a way that approaches the fidelity of the headphone solution, but they think they have something so who knows.

Exactly. It's just not possible. The only thing Sony can do is improve people's TV speakers by simulating surround sound to some degree, but it'll never beat physical speaker placement. And god forbid some of us that have dedicated home theater rooms with acoustically treated rooms with acoustic panels, diffusion panels, and bass traps. It's why I'll be watching my 4K Blu-rays on my Panasonic player and not my PS5. I don't trust Sony's 3D Tempest Sound will compete with Dolby Atmos. Especially within the first year or two of the PS5 release.

Grinchy

Banned
I have the PS5 headet ordered and paid off. Can't wait to check these out.

I've never really been much of a headset gamer, and still used the PS3 Pulse headset I got for free to play Blackout and PC games with discord lol.

imbrock

Banned
If they wanna nail this, I expect you'll be asked to choose between over-ear, on-ear, in-ear for headphones. Down-firing, rear-facing, front-facing, in-panel for TVs (plus seating distance and speaker-spacing). And for surround, your particular setup and relative seating position (though I wonder if they can flag the additional height channels on a receiver or if they'll have to put the stream in a DTS:X or Atmos wrapper).

I'm almost expecting them to use the mic in the dualsense controller as a way to help measure sound in different parts of the room. They could even make it similar to steams vr setup where you move around the room with the controller and hit a button to map the area. Just with sound, so I guess you would go to the right of the tv and hit a button it would make a sound and measure it, then same with left and center channels.

Audiophile

Gold Member
So if I route the sound to my Sony receiver and use a BT headset like Sony's own XM3, I won't get 3D audio? That's concerning.
I hope they offer an option where the HRTF-infused 2.0 stereo stream can be passed over HDMI for headphones that are plugged in or linked to a TV/Receiver/etc. Will no doubt offer better sound quality than the on-board DAC/Amp in the DS5.

What does "compatible" mean? Isn't the entire point that it will work with any stereo headphones?
It absolutely should work with any stereo headphones, I think they're just inserting "compatible" to sow a little doubt and catch a few people out so they can sell more Pulse 3D headsets.

Bartski

Gold Member
What does "compatible" mean?
fugazi.gif

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The "compatible headset" portion of the article is a little confusing to me as well. I would assume any 3.5mm headset will work. Maybe it doesn't mean anything and I'm overthinking it.

As for surround setups, I expect basic dolby/dts/lpcm surround will still be available as it is now. Though DTS:X and/Atmos would be nice. But it seems Sony intend to implement their own approach for Surround setups down the line, likely probing the soundscape differently but ultimately deriving the audio from the same end-to-end Tempest pipeline for a more universal approach that adapts to make the best out of any setup.
In theory I don't think there is any reason why they can't do the exact same thing Atmos does and map the game's 3D sound space (which is already generated for the HRTF) to your speaker setup, and just send those channels by LPCM. But they haven't said anything about this, so I have no idea how they will actually account for current surround setups. For movies I assume the PS5 will just send along whatever is encoded on the disc and let your receiver do everything.

Umbral

I would rather just keep using my expensive 5.1 setup but ok.

That said why are they being forced to delay the "virtual surround sound" setup? Makes it look like Sony is rushing this thing.
Rushing it? They said 3D would only be available on headphones initially way back at Road to PS5. Pay attention.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
I would rather just keep using my expensive 5.1 setup but ok.

That said why are they being forced to delay the "virtual surround sound" setup? Makes it look like Sony is rushing this thing.

I'd be very surprised if there aren't at least 5.1-7.1 Dolby/DTS/LPCM options for surround sound setups. I doubt they're taking those away.

Playstation headphones are a pretty good, safe bet considering their relatively low cost, which is a bit surprising coming from the Sony we know from the audio world. If anyone knows what a deep, deep rabbit hole headphone shopping is, it's nerds like us.

Yeah, I have fancy Sennheisers too, but don't ask me how many hours of research went into buying them. They aren't wireless either, nor do they have a mic, nor are they necessarily calibrated for gaming (which I think is a thing?). I know what good headphones sound like, but I've also been pretty happy with my Golds, an incredibly easy, no research purchase.

As for "compatible", I just took that to mean any headphones that work with the PS5, not specific to 3D.

Last edited:

John Wick

Buy our headsets now, we'll make it work on tvs sometime later we swear. Just like they won't make controllers cross compatible. Forcing people into a purchase. The only reason they aren't trying to say this will only work on their new pulse headsets is because they know people at least won't stand for that. They're just trying to get away with what they can as long as they can $$$
You can use any stereo headphones. So wtf are you going on about?
Updates will come that use tv speakers and proper home cinema setups

Hostile_18

Banned
Exactly. It's just not possible. The only thing Sony can do is improve people's TV speakers by simulating surround sound to some degree, but it'll never beat physical speaker placement. And god forbid some of us that have dedicated home theater rooms with acoustically treated rooms with acoustic panels, diffusion panels, and bass traps. It's why I'll be watching my 4K Blu-rays on my Panasonic player and not my PS5. I don't trust Sony's 3D Tempest Sound will compete with Dolby Atmos. Especially within the first year or two of the PS5 release.

Pretty sure the PS5 licences Dolby Atmos for movies thank god. 😊

Self

I hope they offer an option where the HRTF-infused 2.0 stereo stream can be passed over HDMI for headphones that are plugged in or linked to a TV/Receiver/etc. Will no doubt offer better sound quality than the on-board DAC/Amp in the DS5.

Wasn't this already confirmed!?
No way I'm using my pro headphones on the bluetooth controller jack. I mean... just no!

Audiophile

Gold Member
Wasn't this already confirmed!?
No way I'm using my pro headphones on the bluetooth controller jack. I mean... just no!
In the article -- for headphone-based 3D audio -- they only mention a USB connection to the console or the 3.5mm jack on the DS5.

I'd like to run HDMI > TV > Optical > Stereo Amp > Headphones. Limiting proper headphones to DS5 would be criminal.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Awesome job by Sony to allow you to get their version of Virtual Surround Sound by simply plugging Youre own headphones/headset into the Dualsense. Hopefully the software allows for mixing and the mic support is as good as it was on DualShock 4. If it is, that’s a tough blow for headset makers. Sennheiser, ATs and modmic and vmodas will be sold out for a while. Great job Sony.

Audiophile

Gold Member
You sure? I don't think so. Where'd you see that?
It's got a 4K UHD Blu-ray player built-in, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't support Atmos for that side of things. Sony are part of the BDA, build 4K UHD Blu-ray players and release/master 4K UHD Blu-rays with Dolby Atmos on them. Not to mention it'll feature Netflix which masters its exclusive content with Atmos.

Last edited:

scydrex

I pre-ordered mine but still not the PS5... I had the Gold Headset when it came out and I used it everyday and worked perfectly. Will use it with the PS4 until I can get the PS5.

There isn't any reason why it wouldn't work through TV speaker, but it will probably have high limitations like you need to accurately map out your TV and sitting placement, you cant move, and it would only work for one person. And of course the actual sound will be limited in quality to your TV speakers.
There IS a reason and it's called crosstalk. You can't hear 3D sound if your right ear will hear sound dedicated to ONLY left ear. That's why it needs at least headphones.

Self

I'd like to run HDMI > TV > Optical > Stereo Amp > Headphones. Limiting proper headphones to DS5 would be criminal.

That would indeed be a missed opportunity. However, we could still use high quality 2 channel audio through the hdmi>digital output - just without 3D audio. Wait and see I guess.

SGRU

Is it safe to assume that the Platinum Wireless Headset will be enough for all the Pulse 3D goodness?

FrankWza

It's got a 4K UHD Blu-ray player built-in, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't support Atmos for that side of things. Sony are part of the BDA, build 4K UHD Blu-ray players and release/master 4K UHD Blu-rays with Dolby Atmos on them. Not to mention it'll feature Netflix which masters its exclusive content with Atmos.
Unfortunately, I don’t believe it has Dolby vision though. Not 100% yet or if that can even be patched in.

What this, Sony created it's own surround sound emulation codec? Great! Promises the moon? Excellent! This will only go well.

PROTIP: If you want COMFORTABLE headphone with GOOD SOUND QUALITY for the price being asked, Don't buy Sony's PlayStation headphones, Bose, or Beets. Buy Audio Technica, Sennheiser, AKG, hell even Sony branded headphones(non-PlayStation version) brands of that nature.
Audeze, hifiman, Beyerdynamic, Mr. Sprakers, Meze, etc just to add a few. Planar magnetics FTW.

Hostile_18

Banned
To fit the FUD spreading narrative.

No it does make sense Dolby Atmos is licenced. For movies it makes sense for games Sony want to save the money (and believe their solution is better).

That's why several Xbox games have a Dolby Atmos Soundtrack and PS4 ones do not.

Perrott

Gold Member
How can a hardware product have Dolby Atmos for movies, but "NOT" games? I don't get it.
Xbox One X had either Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision (can't remember which one) support only for games, but not for movies.

Something similar could happen with PS5 but the other way around.

Ar¢tos

No it does make sense Dolby Atmos is licenced. For movies it makes sense for games Sony want to save the money (and believe their solution is better).

That's why several Xbox games have a Dolby Atmos Soundtrack and PS4 ones do not.
Yes, but until we know the situation about the ps5, people shouldn't make statements without any evidence.
Ps4 =/= ps5

That's how rumors and FUD start.
Like the Rdna1 FUD.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yes, but until we know the situation about the ps5, people shouldn't make statements without any evidence.
Ps4 =/= ps5

That's how rumors and FUD start.
Like the Rdna1 FUD.

Mark Cerny said it wasnt been used for games didn't he on his tech talk?

mckmas8808

Banned
Xbox One X had either Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision (can't remember which one) support only for games, but not for movies.

Something similar could happen with PS5 but the other way around.

WOW! Never knew this. I guess anything to save $2 a console? Is that the reason?

Ar¢tos

Mark Cerny said it wasnt been used for games didn't he on his tech talk?
I don't know. I can't find any articles confirming or denying it.
Won't devs doing Atmos for Xbox be able to use Tempest on ps5 for the same result?
If that's the case, it makes sense to not having to pay a license for it.

Top Bottom