• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusivity sucks as a gaming practice

SpokkX

i still wish for that one console future

I hate using different pieces of hardware - especially the underpowerd objectivly shit hardware nintendo makes to play their amazing exclusives

Imagine needing different hardware to watch Star Wars than Game of Thrones? that is where we are today in gaming

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Somewhere here in this topic, someone compared it to streaming and its a perfect comparison to be honest.

I would love to sub to Netflix and have access to all content ever made. Instead, we have Disney, and Amazon, and a gazzillion other companies starting their own streaming services with their own exclusive content, because at the end of the day, that makes them a lot more money than the money they got from Netflix.

I see no one challenged my point on game preservation..
Would love to see some takes on it.

Sites like Vimms Lair?

Yeah it's kind of bad that Nintendo has all these classics but they don't set up a proper store for them. Leaves us to either buy the hardware and the games or use emulation. Issue with emulation is that the roms are a legal grey area.

feynoob

Banned
I have to repeat myself here. Competition does not have to be about exclusives and boxes. Competition should have always been about games. Platforms should just be where guys can play stuff. Gamers will always buy whatever platform they want to game on. Companies and publishers should focus on making good games. Game-driven competition would create the incentive to produce quality. Since, the fight would be for your attention, each company would wanna ensure you can differentiate their games & that u can get a unique experience from whatever or wherever u play on. Innovation will increase, new ideas and mechanics will come into diff games.. Quality of gaming will go up.

Why am I the only one that's seeing this?
How do you even attract consumers, if you don't have an exclusive contents?
That is what you need to understand. These companies need an exclusive contents, in order to make their console attractive. Without that, consumers won't have a reason to buy their stuff.

I hate using different pieces of hardware - especially the underpowerd objectivly shit hardware nintendo makes to play their amazing exclusives

Imagine needing different hardware to watch Star Wars than Game of Thrones? that is where we are today in gaming
That one almost happened, but MSFT had to ruin it.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You didn't tag me
Houston Astros GIF by MLB

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

be careful hat you wish for.
Monopoly
no competition
complete control of the market by 1 company
then it leads fully digital + gaas

This sounds like death of exclusives, single player games, ownership... gaming

NahaNago

I have MS and Sony systems PC, PS5, XOne..
What I want is to open any damn box I own and just start playing whatever on it.
OMG! Shocking!
Will take a while for the medium to mature to that lvl. Hope it happens soon enough.
You can still play the hundreds of games that come out each year on any damn box. Like I said earlier, throwing a fit for the 2 dozen less than a dozen exclusives (if we don't count Nintendo) that we get a year just because you can't play god of war , spiderman, or whatever exclusive that doesn't come out on your preferred platform is just silly.

How do you still not get it that most console makers will for the most part do not put their game that they personally make with their studios on other consoles since they want to push folks to buy their consoles so that you will eventually buy third party games on their platform as well. They have been doing this for decades now.

It's also not a matter of the medium maturing. This is just the basic business of offering something that you can only get at a certain store to draw folks in to shop.

I do think that Sony is making a long term mistake by putting their games on pc for that quick buck since pc gamers are willing to wait for forever on games to fall in price, they will be now also willing to wait for Sony to put games on pc since they started doing so this gen.

yamaci17

- gush endless hate on PC as to how bad of a gaming platform it is and defend consoles to eternity on why people choose them due to certain reasons OTHER than eclusives

- also claim how exclusives are required to make people buy consoles

logic left the forum, truly

if you truly a believer of console superiorty due to: how easy to use it is, how comfortable it is, and so on, there's no reason you should believe that exclusives are required to drive console sales. after all, you truly believe that PCs suck and people are living through pain to play games. if then, why wouldn't they just release games on PC, huh?

Last edited:

Fredrik

The men can increase bandwidth but only God can decrease latency.
Streaming will be never viable.
Depends on infrastructure and if games are built to lack latency. Iirc Forza Horizon 4 had more latency natively on console than some games played through… dare I say it?… Yup, Stadia!
And it’s not like everyone is a frame counter either, some just don’t care. Same thing as with movies and music where some just don’t care about uncompressed video and lossless audio, Netflix and Spotify is good enough.

TwiztidElf

Nearly every single game on my top twenty GOAT list, and nearly every single GOTY and runners up for the last 20 years are exclusives.
Loss leaders investing in super high quality games make me happy.

NahaNago

I have to repeat myself here. Competition does not have to be about exclusives and boxes. Competition should have always been about games. Platforms should just be where guys can play stuff. Gamers will always buy whatever platform they want to game on. Companies and publishers should focus on making good games. Game-driven competition would create the incentive to produce quality. Since, the fight would be for your attention, each company would wanna ensure you can differentiate their games & that u can get a unique experience from whatever or wherever u play on. Innovation will increase, new ideas and mechanics will come into diff games.. Quality of gaming will go up.

Why am I the only one that's seeing this?
Competition has usually been about the games, especially the exclusive games :messenger_beaming:. Platforms are where guys can play stuff. Gamers will always buy whatever platform they want to game on. Companies and publishers should focus on making good games. Game driven competition already happens with 99% of games and creates the incentive to produce quality.

Video game makers already fight for your attention since hundreds of games games release a year and do their best to differentiate their games from the rest.

Now you are just throwing stuff at the wall with the whole innovation, mechanics and quality going up. Why can't all of that happen now. You do realize that 99.9% of games are not exclusive right. So all of what you are saying should be happening now.

Again this just sounds like port/pc begging.

Griffon

Imagine a world, in the 80s, where if you didn't own a Sony made CD Music Player, you couldn't play Thriller on it. It would be beyond retarded.
You would have people cope with it by saying that if Thriller wasn't exclusive, Michael Jackson wouldn't have made as good an album as it was.

This is how ridiculous you people sound to me.

Nowaday game consoles are pretty much custom PC Hardware boxes, there's no reason for everything to not be on everything. A game on every platforms will make more money, that's a straight fact, and even Sony knows this with their PC ports.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Imagine a world, in the 80s, where if you didn't own a Sony made CD Music Player, you couldn't play Thriller on it. It would be beyond retarded.
You would have people cope with it by saying that if Thriller wasn't exclusive, Michael Jackson wouldn't have made as good an album as it was.

Nowaday game consoles are pretty much custom PC Hardware boxes, there's no reason for everything to not be on everything. A game on every platforms will make more money, that's a straight fact, and even Sony knows this with their PC ports.

Imagine a world, in 2022, where you need 11 different streaming services to watch all the stuff you want. It would be beyond retarded.

NahaNago

cd players are a dead platform and consoles are still going strong selling more than a hundred million every generation.

and still Sony doesn't release all of their big first party games day one on pc. I wonder why. A game on every platform has the possibility of making more money. Just calling a game exclusive these days seems to draw more eyes to the game. Kena and Sifu wouldn't have as much of a bump in sales if they hadn't been exclusive at the start. They probably would have been lost in all of the other games that would have released in that time period or been stomped by a AAA game. Honestly just saying the word exclusive when referring to game especially when it comes out on Playstation or Nintendo you expect some level of quality. You still will get some duds.

Last edited:

Damigos

Oh Jesus...
Okay. So why not make more $$$?
Why limit your sales and exposure?
Example: there are dudes that'll kill for shit like Gravity Rush or Bloodborne on PC (me included, even as a PS gamer). If Sony doesn't wanna cash in on somma dat cool $$$ and added patronage then it's their loss.
Sales from hardware too.
The most important thing is to have people in your ecosystem, not to just sell something

Guilty_AI

I think what he meant was that Demon Souls started the Souls Borne franchise. Could be possible that if Demon Souls never became popular they wouldn't have continued the genre. But that's speculation.
But if you just keep going back in time like that, what inspired who and what preceeded what, it'll never end. I could argue that without Elder Scrolls, Demon souls wouldn't exist either since the project started as an attempt to capitalize on its popularity.

Last edited:

NahaNago

But if you just keep going back in time like that, what inspired who and what preceeded what, it'll never end. I could argue that without Elder Scrolls, Demon souls wouldn't exist either since the project started as an attempt to capitalize on its popularity.
The problem isn't so much the inspiration but the money that originally came into play to start the series. If Sony hadn't taken a chance with demon souls then the souls series would possibly have never been a thing. It's honestly a great way to test if something will work plus you get promoted by those publishers. Go to Sony or Microsoft and see if they'll fund an exclusive game. If it does well then with the money you made from it, as well as shop for a third-party publisher for extra funding, make a game that is similar in gameplay and have that one be multiplat.

Um why did you shift yo another developer?

I think you meant Kings Field since we are talking about From Software. What's true is that Demon Souls was their very first souls game and that Sony funded the project.

Edit: Very good video on the subject if your interested.

Funny how Sony almost killed it at some point.

Last edited:

Griffon

Imagine a world, in 2022, where you need 11 different streaming services to watch all the stuff you want. It would be beyond retarded.

Oh but don't laugh too early, this could happen to video games with gamepass-like services. And it would be just as awful as it is for movies.

You guys better look out for the consumers instead of simping for corporations who don't care if you're miserable as long as it makes them money.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I own a PC, XOne & PS5.
This isnt that I can't play games. It's that I can't play games anywhere I want.
You guys honestly aren't reading.
Don't know why some people can't be open minded to see the positives behind games anywhere.

The thing is you don't understand why exclusives exists and how they can affect the types of games being produced. I miss out on Nintendo games because I refuse to pay >300 euros for cheap generations old tablet hardware. However, one of Nintendo's competitive advantages are their unorthodox hw innovations and their exclusives push their platform, which allows the company to thrive. If they had to move away from hardware, they wouldn't be able to take as many risks since their revenue would fall tremendously. Sony similarly has an incentive to produce new single player, cinematic IP that are a bit riskier than your average third party open world mtx game. Having a big platform with big revenues allows those games to be what they are.

I'd love to play Mario or Smash on my PS5 instead of having to buy that shitty tablet, but you can't have everything.

cireza

Banned
So why did you leave Microsoft out? According to you the big three should have plenty of overrated games but you left out Microsoft. I honestly don't believe the three are overrated since they are capable of making really good games. Its really the delivery that changes between them.
Include Microsoft if you want, doesn't change my point.

Include Microsoft if you want, doesn't change my point.

Still don't belive games like Breath of the Wild, God of War Ragnarok and Forza Horizon 5 don't deserve those high scores. All three have some extremely talented developers working for them. Not everything that's highly rated is overrated.

Guilty_AI

Um why did you shift yo another developer?
Same reason why you and the other guy are shifting the conversation from Bandai Namco to Sony. Bandai funded Elden Ring, a project times bigger and more ambitious than demon souls ever was. Thats the truth.

The problem isn't so much the inspiration but the money that originally came into play to start the series. If Sony hadn't taken a chance with demon souls then the souls series would possibly have never been a thing. It's honestly a great way to test if something will work plus you get promoted by those publishers. Go to Sony or Microsoft and see if they'll fund an exclusive game. If it does well then with the money you made from it, as well as shop for a third-party publisher for extra funding, make a game that is similar in gameplay and have that one be multiplat.
Sony wanted an Elder Scrolls style of game, not something original. It just turned into demon souls once the team realized they couldn't deliver.

Same reason why you and the other guy are shifting the conversation from Bandai Namco to Sony. Bandai funded Elden Ring, a project times bigger and more ambitious than demon souls ever was. Thats the truth.

Sony wanted an Elder Scrolls style of game, not something original. It just turned into demon souls once the team realized they couldn't deliver.

I know they did but it wasn't the first souls game if you watched the video. Demon Souls helped start the genre. No idea why you can't see that.

Maybe it's because it's a Sony thing that's bothering you?

It's fine Sony helped start the genre and then From Software wanted it to become multiplatform. Their only option was to create the Dark Souls franchise since Sony owned the Demon Souls IP. After that they collaborated with J.R.R Martin to create Elden Ring which is their first ever openworld Souls game.

Guilty_AI

I know they did but it wasn't the first souls game if you watched the video. Demon Souls helped start the genre. No idea why you can't see that.
I can see it, but as i said it'll never end if you just keep going back to where what started from. No idea why thats so hard to comprehend.

Lets look at objective facts. Elden Ring had no hand of any console maker. The end.

Last edited:
I can see it, but as i said it'll never end if you just keep going back to where what started from. No idea why thats so hard to comprehend.

Well maybe you just need to recognize why exclusives can help start something. It's nothing to be ashamed about. I got your back.

:messenger_smiling:

I'm just happy that Demon Souks helped start a genre that's now available to so many people. Elden Ring selling a ton makes me happy.

Internet wasn't possible, yet here we are.
Who said that? I was present when internet was invented.
Science is not magic and scientists are not wizards or priests (like some people believe).
Latency is guarded by the ultimate law of physics: speed of light. Nothing can change it.

Guilty_AI

Well maybe you just need to recognize why exclusives can help start something. It's nothing to be ashamed about. I got your back.
Can help? yes. The only conceivable way it can happen? No.

There's no shame in admiting your pet company isn't the only one making cool things.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Who said that? I was present when internet was invented.
Science is not magic and scientists are not wizards or priests (like some people believe).
Latency is guarded by the ultimate law of physics: speed of light. Nothing can change it.
Someone would find a way to fix that issue.
VR and cloud gaming were impossible task. Look now. They are becoming a reality.

Can help? yes. The only conceivable way it can happen? No.

There's no shame in admiting your pet company isn't the only one making cool things.

Oh I know everyone makes cool things. It's awesome that Nitnendo and Microsoft have some really cool games as well. I don't own an Xbox but I'm seriously thinking about buying more games for my Switch like Super Mario Odyssey or Smash Brothers for example.

No company is my pet since i don't own any of them. My actual pets i love to death though.

:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Cresteds for life.

Bob Dylan Wind GIF by chuber channel

Thank you for bringing them up. I absolutely love talking about them.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Oh I know everyone makes cool things. It's awesome that Nitnendo and Microsoft have some really cool games as well. I don't own an Xbox but I'm seriously thinking about buying more games for my Switch like Super Mario Odyssey or Smash Brothers for example.

No company is my pet since i don't own any of them. My actual pets i love to death though.

:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Cresteds for life.

Bob Dylan Wind GIF by chuber channel

Thank you for bringing them up. I absolutely love talking about them.
You sure don't love talking about Bandai Namco tho, the third party publisher who helped fund one of the biggest and most ambitious games this year, released to critical and player acclaim.

Wunray

I have arrived, and yeah exclusivity only really serves the interest of the platform holder, not the consumer. There are only 1 or 2 outliers like Bayo that make sense for exclusivity but for the majority, it makes no sense for the consumer. Also, there is also preservation on the pc platform, you won't catch me paying again for a game I already bought, Nintendo is notorious for this but not the only one. But it's only a matter of time till we won't have to worry about this anymore.

You sure don't love talking about Bandai Namco tho, the third party publisher who helped fund one of the biggest and most ambitious games this year, released to critical and player acclaim.

Oh I'm fine with Bandai Namco funding the game. But i can't ignore where the genre started. I played the game myself and really enjoyed it. You honestly believe I hate the franchise?

Anyways I don't have the ability to change history but maybe you do. Once you change it I'll admit that Sony had nothing to do with starting the Souls genre.

Anyways more pets incoming.

pandawhale GIF

Last edited:

Fredrik

The majority of popular genres depend on latency. Only turn-based stuff doesn't.
Seems to work okay for shooters too, if console latency is considered okay at least.
Destiny 2 Geforce Now latency
GFN 3080 120fps streamed : 56 ms
GFN 2080 60fps streamed : 81 ms
Xbox Series X 60fps local : 93 ms

Top Bottom