• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusives are objectively a good thing for the Industry, there should be more fully exclusive games.

I think it's more than fair.... we have 13 studios but functionally we have far less.

San Diego makes multiplatform games now with MLB.
Mm is supporting Dreams and has not made anything commercially viable in 10 years or so.
Japan Studio has been cut down to a single team

Horizon FW is cross-gen and delayed till 2022
GOW Sequel is cross gen and we don't know when it is coming
GT7 is cross gen and we don't know when that will drop

Then despite these games being cross gen, we are paying a 10 euro tax to play them on PS5 aaaaaand they are saying they will port to PC later.

These issues are not in isolation..... last generation we lost Guerrilla Cambridge, Evolution Studios and Manchester Studio last year.
We also lost access to all Zenimax Studios future games except the 2 timed exclusives they picked up.

We also lost other exclusives like Yakuza...which is now multiplatform and Kingdom Hearts

All we got in return for all all of this is Housemarque and Nixxes....... and Nixxes was a slap in the face of people who appreciate exclusive games on the platform. An absolute insult.

We have been paying more and getting less, much less and there is no excitement, mystery or energy for the future because they don't communicate with fans, there is no connection at all. I'm beginning to stop caring at this stage.
Which is why Sony is going above and beyond for timed exclusives. They don't have 25 studios like MS so they have to be more selective when games release, why you get the directors cuts or the miles morales type games. you can make a game with the same assets to bridge between long development times. Again while you may not like the wait it works from a business standpoint. Its shown to be viable to end and start strong. Plus the third parry games going multiplat doesnt take away value from sony just adds value to competition. Sony imo is in a good place, the issue you aren't happy about are the least of my concerns for them rn. the games will be good, they just need to modernize their distribution.

kingfey

Banned
Which is why Sony is going above and beyond for timed exclusives. They don't have 25 studios like MS so they have to be more selective when games release, why you get the directors cuts or the miles morales type games. you can make a game with the same assets to bridge between long development times. Again while you may not like the wait it works from a business standpoint. Its shown to be viable to end and start strong. Plus the third parry games going multiplat doesnt take away value from sony just adds value to competition. Sony imo is in a good place, the issue you aren't happy about are the least of my concerns for them rn. the games will be good, they just need to modernize their distribution.
The reason why they are going hard for timed exclusive is to cripple Xbox. FF7R wasnt on xbox for 1 and half year. This is causing FF fans to buy playstation products to play the game. And if more Xbox players buys playstation products, it will hurt Xbox 3rd party games revenue. In this case, its a win for Sony. 1 stone with 2 birds kill. Hurt xbox 3rd party ravenous, and steal their customers.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I remember that it felt good to play. I remember thinking that they needed more solutions to traversal and climbing but the combat felt good.
That's why aim assist is there. To make the player feel good/better at aiming fooling that he/she is better at it than what he/she really is...

The reason why they are going hard for timed exclusive is to cripple Xbox. FF7R wasnt on xbox for 1 and half year. This is causing FF fans to buy playstation products to play the game. And if more Xbox players buys playstation products, it will hurt Xbox 3rd party games revenue. In this case, its a win for Sony. 1 stone with 2 birds kill. Hurt xbox 3rd party ravenous, and steal their customers.
Xbox kind of removed themselves from that really mattering much to them with gamepass but i do agree, in the past it was more harmful to them ,but now its kind of being used just to bolster Sony's exclusivity value. I'm saying they don't lose out on value by not having the third party exclusives.

Bryank75

Banned

Why? their consoles are selling like hotcakes? Going into a different distribution model moves them away from their strengths in production, electronics and retail..... and towards Microsoft and other companies strengths in online distribution and services...... they will be slaughtered. They don't even have passable customer service and they don't communicate with their userbase.

And yes, other platforms becoming stronger does effect PlayStation....maybe not while supply constrained but when supply evens out. They are killing future demand.

With them bringing in 3.1 billion dollars profit last year in G&NS alone, you would hope they had more real studio acquisitions lined up with proper IP being targeted..... not some mickey mouse developers with no IP's.

It's honestly been pathetic to watch PlayStation roll over for the competition, they are a pack of pussies.

kingfey

Banned
That's why aim assist is there. To make the player feel good/better at aiming fooling that he/she is better at it than what he/she really is...
Splinter cell blacklist was hard on consoles, because their Aim is bad. Og Xbox had simple Aim which made you feel like a pro. That might have been aim assistance on work.

Pc one is great. I was in the mid game, when I stopped playing. Those heavy vest soldiers were annoying.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Exclusives exist just so you buy into the hardware/brand . It’s always been the way, for the lat few gens we been getting 3rd party games being bought as exclusives or timed exclusives to convince us to buy the hardware/brand

Bryank75

Banned

Nope that's why you are here touting that you didn't use aim assist and played on PC, saying it was a superior experience to make yourself feel good.

I really don't care, I played a good game and enjoyed my time with it.... it isn't a competitive game, it is an adventure game....it's about the journey.

You fundamentally do not understand that games are a form of entertainment it seems.

Why? their consoles are selling like hotcakes? Going into a different distribution model moves them away from their strengths in production, electronics and retail..... and towards Microsoft and other companies strengths in online distribution and services...... they will be slaughtered. They don't even have passable customer service and they don't communicate with their userbase.

And yes, other platforms becoming stronger does effect PlayStation....maybe not while supply constrained but when supply evens out. They are killing future demand.

With them bringing in 3.1 billion dollars profit last year in G&NS alone, you would hope they had more real studio acquisitions lined up with proper IP being targeted..... not some mickey mouse developers with no IP's.

It's honestly been pathetic to watch PlayStation roll over for the competition, they are a pack of pussies.
Because the value in service distribution is far more valuable than the hardware game. These companies are built on exponential growth. Just look at it this way, Sony has a market cap of 120 billion roughly as a company thats been around for over 50 years while Netflix market cap is well over 200 billion while with the vast majority of their value coming in the past 10 year. Theres a cap on hardware that doesn't is far lower than services.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Nope that's why you are here touting that you didn't use aim assist and played on PC, saying it was a superior experience to make yourself feel good.

I really don't care, I played a good game and enjoyed my time with it.... it isn't a competitive game, it is an adventure game....it's about the journey.

You fundamentally do not understand that games are a form of entertainment it seems.
It's about the journey and the game play is part of the journey. The better the game play, better the journey.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox kind of removed themselves from that really mattering much to them with gamepass but i do agree, in the past it was more harmful to them ,but now its kind of being used just to bolster Sony's exclusivity value. I'm saying they don't lose out on value by not having the third party exclusives.
gamepass certainly made it easy for them to not get hurt. The table is now turned on. There are 4 day1 games on gamepass, which playstation users has to pay the money for it. Pack4blood is $60, and psychonauts 2 is $60. Any AA or AAA game that is day1 on gamepass, will hurt playstation image in the long term. Because 1 devices pays nothing, while the other users will pay. Both users will buy the game. But from stand point, its looks bad for playstation image. We already seen that with Outriders and Mlb the show 21.

Bryank75

Banned
Because the value in service distribution is far more valuable than the hardware game. These companies are built on exponential growth. Just look at it this way, Sony has a market cap of 120 billion roughly as a company thats been around for over 50 years while Netflix market cap is well over 200 billion while with the vast majority of their value coming in the past 10 year. Theres a cap on hardware that doesn't is far lower than services.

Yeah, after 20 years of Japan being in recession.... you are not accounting for macro-economics. Sony is the 3rd or 4th most valuable company in all of Japan.
What you are saying is simplistic and moronic.

I explained in another post that people pay the upfront cost of console so they have disposable income to spend on MTX (PS biggest revenue stream), games and services. If a person is paying only 1 subscription, they will not likely buy as many MTX, they cant buy games and there will be no sub within a sub.

Hardware is now profitable on PS5.... so you'll lose 10 billion in revenue each year you abandon hardware and possibly 500 million or so in profit.

and as I said you move the company away from Sony core competencies and towards the US tech giants strengths...... they will destroy all their revenue sources this way.

kingfey

Banned
I agree on this part.
1 main example is Amazon. They started as a book store, and now own 50% of the internet, because those 50% users of their amazon web service. Amazon warehouse isnt close to the web service revenue.

Its all about reaching many people. MS is better than Apple, because 90% of people use their windows software. They dont sell hardwares, just software.

Hardwares will become useless in the long run. Those who have the software, will be able to reach huge amount of users, unlike the hardware.

Yeah, after 20 years of Japan being in recession.... you are not accounting for macro-economics. Sony is the 3rd or 4th most valuable company in all of Japan.
What you are saying is simplistic and moronic.

I explained in another post that people pay the upfront cost of console so they have disposable income to spend on MTX (PS biggest revenue stream), games and services. If a person is paying only 1 subscription, they will not likely buy as many MTX, they cant buy games and there will be no sub within a sub.

Hardware is now profitable on PS5.... so you'll lose 10 billion in revenue each year you abandon hardware and possibly 500 million or so in profit.

and as I said you move the company away from Sony core competencies and towards the US tech giants strengths...... they will destroy all their revenue sources this way.
The business plans of companies more valuable than countries will ruin Sony...I want to debunk all of you other points but it's pointless, more power to you.

Bryank75

Banned
gamepass certainly made it easy for them to not get hurt. The table is now turned on. There are 4 day1 games on gamepass, which playstation users has to pay the money for it. Pack4blood is $60, and psychonauts 2 is $60. Any AA or AAA game that is day1 on gamepass, will hurt playstation image in the long term. Because 1 devices pays nothing, while the other users will pay. Both users will buy the game. But from stand point, its looks bad for playstation image. We already seen that with Outriders and Mlb the show 21.

Yup, why I didn't buy and will not buy any of those games.....it does hurt Sony.

I agree on this part.
1 main example is Amazon. They started as a book store, and now own 50% of the internet, because those 50% users of their amazon web service. Amazon warehouse isnt close to the web service revenue.

Its all about reaching many people. MS is better than Apple, because 90% of people use their windows software. They dont sell hardwares, just software.

Hardwares will become useless in the long run. Those who have the software, will be able to reach huge amount of users, unlike the hardware.
I'm not pro hardware or software, but it's just objectively true there's more value in software. It just requires a long investment phase to become profitable, but the rate of growth is far faster once it hits the profitability rate.

Bryank75

Banned
It's good to have the crazies in plain sight.

crazy tom cruise GIF

ACESHIGH

Banned
For gamers exclusives don't make much sense these days where DRM box A and DRM box B are so similar HW wise. At least Nintendo tries to come up with new control schemes, that justifies their exclusive games in a way, with the Wii as an example.

Games are so expensive to develop these days that studios want to release them to every platform under the sun. From my PoV it would be great if games were released in all platforms with crossplay on top, there are a lot of multiplayer games that could use larger playerbases, specially niche FGs.

Top Bottom