• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusives are objectively a good thing for the Industry, there should be more fully exclusive games.

Why? Exclusives are games that otherwise would not exist and motivate companies to invest massive amounts to make the best games they can... so you like games...but if the game is only on one platform, you don't like it?

I really don't get it.....

Can you explain concisely and clearly why you don't like them?
Because i as a customer have zero advantages if PS5 owners can't play Flight Simulator or XB owners can't play Uncharted. I just have the disadvantage that i have to spent much money on severals systems instead of just one. Crossplay was already a step in the right direction and so are MS and Sony games coming to Pc.

I also doubt that those games wouldn't exist without exclusivity. I mean Sonys big hitters seem to sell enough to be profitable even just on one system. If they could sell them on more systems, thery could make a shitload of money out of them and even the not so succesful ones could become profitable. That's why Sony is already heading for Pc.

Even without exclusives games there are still more than enough differences for the customers to prefer one of those systems. Some may say i want that extra TFs, i want that super fast SSD, i want PSVR, i want those controller gimmicks, i want Game Pass, i prefer online services of XY, i want that handheld combination, i also want to work with my gaming system and so on.

Last edited:

Aion002

First party titles are good because they're good.. Being exclusive doesn't change anything.

Horizon or Death Stranding being released on pc doesn't affect my enjoyment of these games.

Heck my favorite games are multiplatform.... I am happy that more people are able to play good games and I am also happy in having more options in how to play those games.

Also, long is gone the time when it was a pain to port a console game to pc. I don't see a single reason why Sony shouldn't release their games on pc and why Microsoft releasing everything on pc is an issue.

They're not doing this for free, they know that is worth it...

Building up exclusive ip from scratch is good but what about buying up multiplatform ip? How is that good?

Last edited:
Building up exclusive ip from scratch is good but what about buying up multiplatform ip? How is that good?
Not to forget bullshit like timed exclusivity or content exclusivity. Not only doesn't the spent money benefit the own customers at all, it can even hurt them, when they can't play or have to wait to play with their friends on other systems.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Dude...just let it go.

If you dislike a game because it isn't an exclusive, you didn't like the game in the first place.

Core market buys the consoles regardless, it's the casuals they compete over.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Exclusives are a plague, a cancer upon this world, and must be extinguished like a dying ember.

Let consoles have their unique ecosystems and accessories and affordable prices to make a profit, but do not 'force' consumers to own five different devices simply for wanting to play the best of the best of games. One shouldn't have to buy a Switch just to play Metroid Dread or Smash, one shouldn't have to buy an X-Box just to play Halo or Gears, one shouldn't have to buy a PS5 just to play Demon's Souls or Spider-Man.

Buy a PlayStation if you want to play on VR or want to use haptic feedback. Buy a Switch if you want to play on the go. Buy an X-Box if you want a subscription model and rent 200 games for 15 bucks a month. That should be the reason to buy the console, not the game library.

Corgi1985

Banned
I also disagree because I would like nintendo games on hardware that isn't overpriced gimmicky dogshit with the worst controllers of all time

Umbasaborne

Banned
These consoles are more and more like pc’s, and if the pc can act as another revenue stream rather than a competitor, why not embrace it?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Danny Devito No GIF

Markio128

As others have said, I disagree that there is a shortage of exclusives on the Sony platforms. This is based on 12 months of great games being released, during a pandemic. Maybe the pandemic has affected the release of an exclusive or 2 this fall, but that is understandable. If anything, Sony can only be criticised for being quiet about future releases, but if they can’t give release dates and don’t want to force developers to rush games, then I’m fine with that.

I wouldn’t say no to a Sony update show of some sort though. I hope we get some news on that soon.

EDIT: It is worth pointing out that Halo should have been released last year and was only delayed to this fall due to Craig. This delay has made MS fall look better than it would.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Because i as a customer have zero advantages if PS5 owners can't play Flight Simulator or XB owners can't play Uncharted. I just have the disadvantage that i have to spent much money on severals systems instead of just one. Crossplay was already a step in the right direction and so are MS and Sony games coming to Pc.

I also doubt that those games wouldn't exist without exclusivity. I mean Sonys big hitters seem to sell enough to be profitable even just on one system. If they could sell them on more systems, thery could make a shitload of money out of them and even the not so succesful ones could become profitable. That's why Sony is already heading for Pc.

Even without exclusives games there are still more than enough differences for the customers to prefer one of those systems. Some may say i want that extra TFs, i want that super fast SSD, i want PSVR, i want those controller gimmicks, i want Game Pass, i prefer online services of XY, i want that handheld combination, i also want to work with my gaming system and so on.

I explained in the OP how exclusives helped save PS3...... if PlayStation didn't have that option to make exclusives we would likely be in a one console world.

How would the games exist otherwise? I would like to know? Who is going to invest 200 million in a single game? EA is not, Ubisoft is not, Activision is not...... Only one developer under TakeTwo has that luxury and that is because they have the biggest franchise in the AAA gaming space.

Who is going to invest over 100 million in a new IP? Who will invest tens of millions in a AAA rogue-like?

Why is gamepass okay? That has games on it that are exclusive to that service? Does that get different treatment?

So.... performance, SSD, VR, controller innovation, services, online features are all okay to compete on but you arbitrarily draw the line at exclusives????
Is this just because it benefits you personally and not consumers in general?

In fact I think you'd rather see exclusives die off even if it meant we get less games and less GOTY contenders overall cause you don't like the idea of another platform having games you cannot get on yours? Is it borne out of jealousy????
That is what I read from you TBH...

cireza

Banned
Exclusive games are games I have no chance to play if they are not released on my console, as I am certainly not going to buy all consoles.

Exclusives are more streamlined and less risky as well, as they are more constrained on what they have to be.

They rarely get my interest in the end.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Exclusives are great and all but the days of them being restricted to a single console are done. Microsoft made the decision to put their exclusives on PC back in 2015 and have been more successful because of it. Sony is already pivoting to putting their exclusives on PC day and date with the PS5/PS4 versions. My guess it starts next year with Horizon 2 being on PC (via Steam and EGS), PS4 and PS5 all day and date. It's free money for Sony that they can put back into PlayStation for future acquisitions, games, deals, etc. I'm a console only gamer so exclusives going on PC don't affect me whatsoever because I don't play games on PC at all and have no interest in doing so.

WitchHunter

Sony has a few unannounced games I'm sure of it. When they announce those the XBXX caravan will steer right down into the depths of the Grand Canyon. And the only thing that remains after them is the echo of their wailing at 6 o clock in the morning every day. Plus Sony will hire Phil Spencer righ before the accident.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I explained in the OP how exclusives helped save PS3...... if PlayStation didn't have that option to make exclusives we would likely be in a one console world.

How would the games exist otherwise? I would like to know? Who is going to invest 200 million in a single game? EA is not, Ubisoft is not, Activision is not...... Only one developer under TakeTwo has that luxury and that is because they have the biggest franchise in the AAA gaming space.

Who is going to invest over 100 million in a new IP? Who will invest tens of millions in a AAA rogue-like?

Why is gamepass okay? That has games on it that are exclusive to that service? Does that get different treatment?

So.... performance, SSD, VR, controller innovation, services, online features are all okay to compete on but you arbitrarily draw the line at exclusives????
Is this just because it benefits you personally and not consumers in general?

In fact I think you'd rather see exclusives die off even if it meant we get less games and less GOTY contenders overall cause you don't like the idea of another platform having games you cannot get on yours? Is it borne out of jealousy????
times change bryan... and its time to move on

untitled-101.jpg

Schmick

Isn't MS proving that not having games fully exclusive, as you put it, also works? 18+ million GP subscribers, recently recorded highest revenue for Xbox, $500 mill spent on developing Halo, fastest selling Xbox (without exclusives up until recently).

As a consumer MS approach with its first party games is soo much better. And you know this, I've said it loads, PS Now for PC is awesome. I can play PS without a PS and guess what... Sony still get my money.

Actually i think the massive price drops and the cheapest Blu Ray drive on the market at times helped much more than the exclusives that came the last 3 years when Microsoft got lazy. Sure, it helped to sell some consoles, but none of those games even reached 10% of the user base and nobody knows how many of them already had a PS3 before and how many bought it for one of those games. Not even Sony knows that.

Rumors say Halo Infinite has a 500 million dollar budget and it will be released day 1 on Pc. Like all other Microsft games. You see, it is possible.

Is this just because it benefits you personally and not consumers in genera
Dude, is it really that complicated? If every platform would have every game, the platforms would still differ from each other and you could choose ONE that fits you the most. Game Pass logically wouldn't have any exclusives anymore in that scenario, but it would be an option to save some bucks if that is important to you.

If you want all games you have to spent thousands of bucks on hardware and that's why i hate exclusive games so much. 500 XB + 500 PS + 300 Nintendo + >1000 Pc. In a perfekt world i would own one 500 bucks console with all Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo games + Steam library.
I don't see those studios or games dying and you forgot one thing. Expecially Sony spends insane amounts of money for marketing their exclusives, in my opinion much more than any 3rd party studio and they could lower this drastically for multiplatform games.

And please explain me one thing: How can i be jealous with a XB, a PS and a Pc? I can play whatever i want, i just don't like how weak the Switch is, otherwise i would own one too.

Last edited:

Utherellus

This is such an absurdly bad take. Fundamentally rotten on so many different levels.

But I am just amazed how people who are in charge of making you think this way, are THIS good at their jobs.

They actually succeed to turn barriers into privilege and anti-consumerism into "act of competition".

Can't sell enough console because there are simply people who are not interested in owning it? Or maybe your gaming platform is messy hell with uncountable constraints or even lack of basic/crucial/quality of life services?

Just lock software to it and let psychology do the rest. Force people's minds to refuse their personal preferences for gaming just to reach your paywalled software.

Brute force unattainable audience and overshadow your flaws with exclusive software

This business model makes me vomit. It's cancer of gaming industry. And I hope that sooner or later will backfire for everyone who relentlessly follows it.

wolffy71

Banned
If you like exclusives, just imagine certain titles not being available on whatever console you have. Then purchase the console you imagined that game to be available one and buy that game there.

Win win, you get to buy more consoles and everyone else can be logical.

Bryank75

Banned
Actually i think the massive price drops and the cheapest Blu Ray drive on the market at times helped much more than the exclusives that came the last 3 years when Microsoft got lazy. Sure, it helped to sell some consoles, but none of those games even reached 10% of the user base and nobody knows how many of them already had a PS3 before and how many bought it for one of those games. Not even Sony knows that.

Rumors say Halo Infinite has a 500 million dollar budget and it will be released day 1 on Pc. Like all other Microsft games. You see, it is possible.

Dude, is it really that complicated? If every platform would have every game, the platforms would still differ from each other and you could choose ONE that fits you the most. Game Pass logically wouldn't have any exclusives anymore in that scenario, but it would be an option to save some bucks if that is important to you.

If you want all games you have to spent thousands of bucks on hardware and that's why i hate exclusive games so much. 500 XB + 500 PS + 300 Nintendo + >1000 Pc. In a perfekt world i would own one 500 bucks console with all Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo games + Steam library.

I don't see those studios or games dying and you forgot one thing. Expecially Sony spends insane amounts of money for marketing their exclusives, in my opinion much more than any 3rd party studio and they could lower this drastically for multiplatform games.

And please explain me one thing: How can i be jealous with a XB, a PS and a Pc? I can play whatever i want, i just don't like how weak the Switch is, otherwise i would own one too.

Microsoft has a large stake in PC....Sony does not. In fact MSFT entered the console game to challenge Sony as they saw them as a threat to their main business back then.

Why would Sony spend money marketing other platforms that benefit other companies and would steal MTX and 3rd party revenue over time from the PS ecosystem???

You are only thinking about this in a very short scope...... about the game and what the game makes. The exclusive is a showpiece.....it doesnt matter if it doesnt make a cent...it shouldn't matter if it loses tens of millions as long as it acquires users for the console that soend money on 3rd party games, MTX and subs.

That is the model, it's been proven to work...Nintendo pioneered it. Sony are making record profits from it, they don't need PC, they don't need to market competing platforms or publish their games there for any reason.

You never answered who is going to fund a 200 million dollar game and take a loss if something bad happens....? Only a few companies in the world can do that..... you have no answer cause there is none.
The only way spending that type of money on a game makes sense is if you need to sell hardware and expand a platform and are making the money down the line in other areas.

Why for you is hardware differences enough? Why do you draw an arbitrary line at games being exclusive? All competition is good and you are actually arguing to limit competition because it benefits you which is incredibly selfish.

I bought a Switch because I care about games, that's what being a gamer is..... you obviously don't care much about what your playing, maybe just about the resolution and fps???
I don't go to watch Citizen Kane and complain that it's in black and white or that it's at 24fps........ I watch for the actors, the story and the art of it all.

Doesn't sound like you care much about games at all if you'd throw away the best games out there. The ones that would NEVER be funded by a 3rd party. Who would fund Death Stranding??? TLOU? GOW? Gravity Rush? R&C? Bloodborne? Uncharted?

In fact after Sony released Uncharted it resulted in several other companies trying to emulate it...... which meant Square went and made Tomb Raider reboot.... even now Xbox are trying to make their Uncharted type game with the Indy license and games like Jedi Fallen Order borrow heavily from the Uncharted series.

So if anything I am under-selling the importance of exclusives.

Bryank75

Banned
This is such an absurdly bad take. Fundamentally rotten on so many different levels.

But I am just amazed how people who are in charge of making you think this way, are THIS good at their jobs.

They actually succeed to turn barriers into privilege and anti-consumerism into "act of competition".

Can't sell enough console because there are simply people who are not interested in owning it? Or maybe your gaming platform is messy hell with uncountable constraints or even lack of basic/crucial/quality of life services?

Just lock software to it and let psychology do the rest. Force people's minds to refuse their personal preferences for gaming just to reach your paywalled software.

Brute force unattainable audience and overshadow your flaws with exclusive software

This business model makes me vomit. It's cancer of gaming industry. And I hope that sooner or later will backfire for everyone who relentlessly follows it.

Nah your take is the rotten one.

You want to limit competition in the industry so it can benefit you personally. Which is disgusting.

Consumers make decisions all the time between products...... 'will I buy the noise cancelling ear-phones with no water resistance or will I buy the sports ear-phones with no noise cancelling' etc.

Why is it right for a company to compete on hardware, services, UI, accessories and peripherals but arbitrarily say GAMES cannot be used to compete or attract customers???
What type of mental gymnastics do you need to justify such hypocrisy? And make no mistake you are an absolute hypocrite if you are saying such a thing.

If a company goes through the bother of hiring hundreds of people, creating an IP from the ground up, marketing it for years and investing hundreds of millions of dollars, you are saying that it is wrong that they put it on their platform alone and reap the benefits????

Do you think about what you are posting before you type? DEMOLISHED!!!

Last edited:

twilo99

mm I don't see it.

I would love to play ratchet on my PC and you would love playing the ascent on the ps5..

jhjfss

You never answered who is going to fund a 200 million dollar game and take a loss if something bad happens....?
I could ask you the same question, if dev costs of ps5 games jumps by 50-100%, yet the number of ps5's sold is the same exact as ps4, how else is sony going to recoup their investments? It becomes a riskier proposition unless they find a way to expand their market/user base. MS might own windows but they don't get any cut of sales on steam or epic. PC is as close to neutral as you can get.
It makes perfect sense to put games on ps5 and then release it on pc a year or two later to sell a few million more copies.
EOSb4ED.jpg

Stuart360

I think the industry is slowly moving towards a more open platform. Your games played on whatever device you want, when you want, and where you want. I think thats the long term goal.
And the likes of Microsoft and Sony will have to bring people into their system in other ways. Gamepass, Xcloud, VR, other services, etc.

Its all academic for me anyway as there is probably 2 more console generations (including this one) before one of them, or all of them, go streaming only. And we will be buying subscriptions for different sevices.

DeaDPo0L84

You have this constant unhealthy obsessive worry about a video game possibly releasing on another platform that was once a Playstation exclusive, it's legit concerning.

Bryank75

Banned
I could ask you the same question, if dev costs of ps5 games jumps by 50-100%, yet the number of ps5's sold is the same exact as ps4, how else is sony going to recoup their investments? It becomes a riskier proposition unless they find a way to expand their market/user base. MS might own windows but they don't get any cut of sales on steam or epic. PC is as close to neutral as you can get.
It makes perfect sense to put games on ps5 and then release it on pc a year or two later to sell a few million more copies.
EOSb4ED.jpg

PlayStation made more money last generation than ever before.... last year was their most profitable year ever.

You and Layden are only looking at the exclusive in isolation when it is a part of a bigger picture a model that has put them on top of the industry.

Raising prices by 10 dollars or euro is not even going to dent the development costs and is pointless, cause the more you raise prices, the more people decide to forgo and wait for a sale or just avoid the game completely and making more sales at 60 is usually gonna be better than making less sales at 70.

But in short the financial results blow his take out of the water.

They can mitigate costs by continuing established IP's for longer, resulting in less downtime for pre-production etc and having more support studios and studios in general in lower cost locations such as China, Eastern Europe and South America.

What Layden said here is just something he was probably told to say to push the agenda that they need to publish on PC..... much like Jim Ryan lied about 'we believe in generations' and then explained how he needed to make GOW, Horizon and GT cross gen. It's driven by greed and short-sighted-ness....... not necessity or a cohesive strategy.

Bryank75

Banned
I think the industry is slowly moving towards a more open platform. Your games played on whatever device you want, when you want, and where you want. I think thats the long term goal.
And the likes of Microsoft and Sony will have to bring people into their system in other ways. Gamepass, Xcloud, VR, other services, etc.

Its all academic for me anyway as there is probably 2 more console generations (including this one) before one of them, or all of them, go streaming only. And we will be buying subscriptions for different sevices.
Doesn't look like that to me, streaming had the best chance ever while consoles were transitioning and were supply constrained. Along with best performance on CP2077 and very low pricing on Luna etc.

I think with energy conservation coming to hit high end PC gaming and things like crypto also putting pressure on GPU supply and prices, we will see console gaming grow even more. Current growth is about 7.2% and it grew by over 10 billion between 2018 and 2020 while PC grew only about 2 billion in the same time-frame.

Stuart360

Doesn't look like that to me, streaming had the best chance ever while consoles were transitioning and were supply constrained. Along with best performance on CP2077 and very low pricing on Luna etc.

I think with energy conservation coming to hit high end PC gaming and things like crypto also putting pressure on GPU supply and prices, we will see console gaming grow even more. Current growth is about 7.2% and it grew by over 10 billion between 2018 and 2020 while PC grew only about 2 billion in the same time-frame.
You have to remember Bryank 2 more generations, even including this one, will be like 16/17 years from now. We will be approaching 2040 lol. Can you imagine how fast and widespread internet will be by then?, and by that point probably 90% of everything we do will be online related.
Its not about what us hardcore gamwrs want, its what the masses want, and the masses prefer ease of use and simplicity. Always have.

Now its different on PC because PC's can be used for so many other things than gaming, and a home PC will always be something thats needed for many people. Plus the likes of Nvidia, AMD, and Intel obviously wont be pushing for a streaming only future on PC as the majority of their business is PC hardware related.
On console though, it will be whatever is easiest, and that will be streaming.

Papacheeks

Banned

Thats a long term goal of one company. Nintendo will keep making weird hardware to sell you pokemon, and make weird gimmicky stuff like labo.

Because off Wii we got Move from Sony, Kinect by Microsoft. All different but covering the same idea. If the software was on all of them, then what would make them distinguished from the other? OTHER THAN deliver and form factor?

It's like people here live in an alternate reality than how products work, and how competition is a thing.
Why doesn't coke just give their recipe to everyone?
If they did we wouldnt have so many competing products from Pepsi, and other cola/soda makers.
People's reasoning on here regardless of your open/free stance is really the dumbest thing I've ever listened too.

Exclusives are no different than the Coke/Cola recipe that other companies try to make their own, or make newer products to compete with said Coke/Cola.
Honestly as much as Bryank75 can be hyperbolic and fanyboyish, at least he/she is being honest about how the world works when it comes to products. Video games are products. Theres a reason we have multiple stores now for games on PC. Battle roayal is popular because theres so much competition. Some games are on everything others only couple platforms, and there are others that are literally only available on select platforms.

How this is not proof of competition from things like exclusives breeds innovation, inspiration?
Exclusives exist just like specific exclusive features, to sell people on specifc products. Been this way for a long time.

It's moronic that people on here dont get that,, and think that the only reason exclusives exist is to be anti-consumer.

Last edited:

Utherellus

Nah your take is the rotten one.

You want to limit competition in the industry so it can benefit you personally. Which is disgusting.

Consumers make decisions all the time between products...... 'will I buy the noise cancelling ear-phones with no water resistance or will I buy the sports ear-phones with no noise cancelling' etc.

Why is it right for a company to compete on hardware, services, UI, accessories and peripherals but arbitrarily say GAMES cannot be used to compete or attract customers???
What type of mental gymnastics do you need to justify such hypocrisy? And make no mistake you are an absolute hypocrite if you are saying such a thing.

If a company goes through the bother of hiring hundreds of people, creating an IP from the ground up, marketing it for years and investing hundreds of millions of dollars, you are saying that it is wrong that they put it on their platform alone and reap the benefits????

Do you think about what you are posting before you type? DEMOLISHED!!!

Quite a strong points u got there m8. I'm DEMOLISHED. Comparing gaming industry to wireless headphones.

"Limiting competition" pfff haha. Who are Rockstar competing with their multiplatform games? Oh I see, they are limiting competition and lowering quality for my personal benefit so i can play their games wherever I want.
So that's why their games suck (except they don't. Rockstar makes PHENOMENAL games and this fact is not correlated to any kind of exclusivity practice)

Or why is PC popular af and objectively one of the best places to play while owning little to zero exclusives ? Stagnated platform by your standards, I suppose, lmao?

Damn, what a cringeworthy thread indeed... Stop normalizing stupid paywall and laundering it as a good thing.

Gamers should be able to play a game how and where they want it.

PC is perfect example of that.

Xbox started opening doors for more players in 2016 creating ecosystem of platforms.
dc6f17e23c021565a09c25884ea593e2dde1870e.jpeg

Sony finally started porting games to PC and also views future of business in ecosystem of different platforms.
sony-investor-relations-new-growth-vectors-3.jpg

Nintendo still swims in 2008 waters, but they are different phenomenon...

Anyways, your point of view is outdated, harmful to consumers who just want to play and simply does not make sense.

2 of 3 platform holders finally understood this and are moving rapidly towards making their games available to as many people as possible.

I think they know better than you.

Last edited:
Microsoft has a large stake in PC....Sony does not. In fact MSFT entered the console game to challenge Sony as they saw them as a threat to their main business back then.

Why would Sony spend money marketing other platforms that benefit other companies and would steal MTX and 3rd party revenue over time from the PS ecosystem???

You are only thinking about this in a very short scope...... about the game and what the game makes. The exclusive is a showpiece.....it doesnt matter if it doesnt make a cent...it shouldn't matter if it loses tens of millions as long as it acquires users for the console that soend money on 3rd party games, MTX and subs.

That is the model, it's been proven to work...Nintendo pioneered it. Sony are making record profits from it, they don't need PC, they don't need to market competing platforms or publish their games there for any reason.

You never answered who is going to fund a 200 million dollar game and take a loss if something bad happens....? Only a few companies in the world can do that..... you have no answer cause there is none.
The only way spending that type of money on a game makes sense is if you need to sell hardware and expand a platform and are making the money down the line in other areas.

Why for you is hardware differences enough? Why do you draw an arbitrary line at games being exclusive? All competition is good and you are actually arguing to limit competition because it benefits you which is incredibly selfish.

I bought a Switch because I care about games, that's what being a gamer is..... you obviously don't care much about what your playing, maybe just about the resolution and fps???
I don't go to watch Citizen Kane and complain that it's in black and white or that it's at 24fps........ I watch for the actors, the story and the art of it all.

Doesn't sound like you care much about games at all if you'd throw away the best games out there. The ones that would NEVER be funded by a 3rd party. Who would fund Death Stranding??? TLOU? GOW? Gravity Rush? R&C? Bloodborne? Uncharted?

In fact after Sony released Uncharted it resulted in several other companies trying to emulate it...... which meant Square went and made Tomb Raider reboot.... even now Xbox are trying to make their Uncharted type game with the Indy license and games like Jedi Fallen Order borrow heavily from the Uncharted series.

So if anything I am under-selling the importance of exclusives.
That's the point, they wouldn't have to spent that much for marketing anymore. Just one example: A single Spiderman tv spot in the USA was nearly 10 million dollars, i don't even want to know how much they spent worldwide on tv, radio, billboards, internet, Sony truck and so on, but i bet it nearly matches the budget of the game itself. That would become nearly unnecessary + they also have more platforms to sell their games, that drastically lowers riscs.

Obviously money matters now, otherwise there wouldn't be Pc ports or PS Now on Pc. I know how Sony would like it to be, but like i said, not even they do know for sure how good it works out. They simply can't have exact numbers.

I want all players to play all games and play together, no matter what platform they choose and how much money they have. Does this make me selfish?
I really like Nintendo and their games, but i didn't spent 3k ony my highend 75" to play 900p games with framedrops on it and i don't like mobile gaming. It's not like they are running away, i will simply play them later on a stronger Switch, Switch 2 or whatever Nintendo plans.

In my opinion exclusive games are an outdated business model. Microsoft droped it completey and Sony is on it's way with PS Now and Pc ports.

We can agree to disagree, that's perfectly fine.

I mean, I don't like exclusives. But I think gaming should (mostly) play out by way of capitalism, and exclusives are a part of that. Hopefully everything will be playable through the cloud soon and it will be a non-issue (for me).

Bryank75

Banned
You have to remember Bryank 2 more generations, even including this one, will be like 16/17 years from now. We will be approaching 2040 lol. Can you imagine how fast and widespread internet will be by then?, and by that point probably 90% of everything we do will be online related.
Its not about what us hardcore gamwrs want, its what the masses want, and the masses prefer ease of use and simplicity. Always have.

Now its different on PC because PC's can be used for so many other things than gaming, and a home PC will always be something thats needed for many people. Plus the likes of Nvidia, AMD, and Intel obviously wont be pushing for a streaming only future on PC as the majority of their business is PC hardware related.
On console though, it will be whatever is easiest, and that will be streaming.

I don't see that happening. Tech will always march on and local dedicated hardware will always be lightyears ahead of streaming especially as gaming has grown dedicated gaming hardware only makes more sense....

Whether that is a stationary device, a device that is portable and can dock or a headset... it could take many forms.

Resources are limted...bandwidth, electricity are becoming more and more valuable and having highly demanding games hogging bandwidth and GPU's on PC constantly drawing massive power are going to be massive roadblocks to PC in the future.

Just my take.

kingfey

Banned
Thats a long term goal of one company. Nintendo will keep making weird hardware to sell you pokemon, and make weird gimmicky stuff like labo.

Because off Wii we got Move from Sony, Kinect by Microsoft. All different but covering the same idea. If the software was on all of them, then what would make them distinguished from the other? OTHER THAN deliver and form factor?

It's like people here live in an alternate reality than how products work, and how competition is a thing.
Why doesn't coke just give their recipe to everyone?
If they did we wouldnt have so many competing products from Pepsi, and other cola/soda makers.
People's reasoning on here regardless of your open/free stance is really the dumbest thing I've ever listened too.

Exclusives are no different than the Coke/Cola recipe that other companies try to make their own, or make newer products to compete with said Coke/Cola.
Honestly as much as Bryank75 can be hyperbolic and fanyboyish, at least he/she is being honest about how the world works when it comes to products. Video games are products. Theres a reason we have multiple stores now for games on PC. Battle roayal is popular because theres so much competition. Some games are on everything others only couple platforms, and there are others that are literally only available on select platforms.

How this is not proof of competition from things like exclusives breeds innovation, inspiration?
Exclusives exist just like specific exclusive features, to sell people on specifc products. Been this way for a long time.

It's moronic that people on here dont get that,, and think that the only reason exclusives exist is to be anti-consumer.
Anyone who says exclusive are anti consumers, needs a reality check.

I like android, because I can watch pron on my phone, download app for it, save videos, and delete them. I dont have that freedom on iPhone. There are tons of apk, which are superb, that IPhone doesn't have, because of apple blocking download function like android.

Apple has the video chat, which Android lacks. Better graphic games, and smoother faster gameplay. But that won't make be pick apple. I need my needs. And apple doesn't allow me to reach it.

Same thing for consoles. I play on xbox for fifa, due to gamepass. No gamepass, means F you xbox. Something for PlayStation. I am not huge fan of their Exclusives. But that is the only place to play God of war, and infamous. So I have to get the console to play those games. The rest of their exclusive is meh to me. Good gameplay, but not that much wowoww.
As for xbox exclusive, they bought skyrim, and are doing fableR. I am looking forward to these 2 titles, and perfect darkR.
As for Nintendo, fun console. Ability to play on bed, is perfect for a lazy person like me.
Steam is my preferred storage for pc, due to their workshop. Or else, I would go to epic for their free games.
Pc is my major primary gaming. That is because of how much stuff I can do with it.

Without these stuff going on for each system, no one will buy them. I am at the verge of not getting a series console, because xcloud, and gamepass pc.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Nintendo could not compete on a hardware level with Sony and MSFT, so they turned to their exclusives and some novel ideas to survive and eventually thrive again.
Sony was down and out during the 7th generation and it was with exclusives they had their resurgence and were able to succeed
Having great exclusives on your platform should push other platform holders to make their own great exclusives to compete....
competition is good and therefor exclusives are good.

Exclusives are an area of competition between platform holders and platforms, the same as hardware specs and performance, accessories and services....
There has been a narrative recently that exclusives are 'bad' and are not needed anymore, yet this is a complete fallacy, aimed at cutting the legs from under PlayStation and Nintendos strongest assets.

People do not go around saying performance should be locked across platforms because it is unfair to have different settings.
People do not say services should all be the same and offer the same perks and games etc.

So why are people now trying to dictate what areas companies should compete on? and why have companies been gullible enough to fall for it....

In short, if you believe in competition, you should be supporting fully exclusive games on consoles otherwise you risk being a hypocrite.

Hermen Hulst for example is failing in his job, PlayStation has less exclusive content lined up than ever, less unique reasons to buy and less excitement from the core PS fans right now.
We expected many more acquisitions and announcements for expanding the 1st party....but all we get is Nixxes (Housemarque is small potatoes)....... he might as well have taken a dump on PS fans door step.

Hermen doesn't seem to understand the function of exclusive games, the reason they exist or their power and how easily that power is broken when you shatter the idea of exclusivity wit even a single port, the man must be a moron.
Not that I disagree, but saying something is "objectively" good, is inaccurate because there's obviously people who do disagree and with proper reason.

Bkdk

exclusives make most sense for the pc. Due to real time strategy, simulation, mods, visual options, customizable servers, most tolerant for hentai or gory games. There are a lot of reasons that a game developer will want to make their games a PC exclusive. For consoles? Other than making people buy the console, there are basically no other reasons for it.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
exclusives make most sense for the pc. Due to real time strategy, simulation, mods, visual options, customizable servers, most tolerant for hentai or gory games. There are a lot of reasons that a game developer will want to make their games a PC exclusive. For consoles? Other than making people buy the console, there are basically no other reasons for it.
Fighters, 3rd person action and shooter games, platformers, Souls-likes and driving games are all excellent and equal or surpass the PC experience in many respects.

Also you're not considering that exclusives target the fixed hardware of the console, it's unique features like haptics and the adaptive triggers on PS5 along with fully utilizing the SSD I/O.

It also allows target genres, stories, characters and gameplay and styles that appeal to the specific audience that is on that hardware / console.

Games like Uncharted, GOW and Astrobot feel particularly great on console and I can't really imagine playign with M&KB.....and if you have to sync a controller up, why not just play it on console where you'll be into the game in a fraction of the time along with the integrated social experience and trophies etc.....

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I disagree, I would love to only have to buy one console and benefit from the offer of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo at once. Why would I want to have 3 plastic boxes instead of 1?

Top Bottom