• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive games dominate the conversation instead of multiplatform games?

odhiex

Sorry guys, let me rewrite the thread one more time. I don't want this thread to be about Playsation because of the reaction from the recent PlayStation showcase. The last PlayStation Showcase had a lot of games revealed. However, I have seen the discourse mainly talk about how disappointing was the show, the lack of Sony's first-party games, big upcoming exclusives and Sony's service games being multiplatform.

While I acknowledge that the above complaints are valid (I also thought that was not the best PS showcase in years), I am generally happy with games that would come out in the next couple of years, despite being multiplatform or service games. Of course, not all of the announcements excite me like other people (not all things are made for me).

I asked ChatGPT (like I said before) and it pretty much sums up my thoughts on the question. A bit lengthy, but I think it is relevant to what I felt about the conversations that we have today. I was reminded that gaming communities today are so big and diverse and existed beyond mainstream social media and forums.

Bonus:
Comedy skit from Mightykeef It is a funny skit which exaggerates conversation in the gaming discourse.

The dominance of exclusive games in the conversation can vary depending on the context and the gaming community you're engaging with. While it's true that exclusive games often generate significant buzz and excitement among gamers, the importance of multiplatform games should not be overlooked.

Exclusive games developed and released by a particular platform or console manufacturer can drive sales and create a strong sense of brand loyalty. These games are designed to showcase the unique features and capabilities of a specific platform, whether it's a console like PlayStation or Xbox or a PC gaming platform. They often receive a great deal of attention and discussion within the gaming community because they offer experiences that can only be enjoyed on a specific platform/system.

However, multiplatform games, which are released on multiple platforms simultaneously or with slight time differences, also play a crucial role in the gaming industry. These games cater to a wider audience as they are accessible to players regardless of their chosen platform. They allow gamers to enjoy popular titles without being limited by hardware or platform exclusivity. Multiplatform games often receive significant attention as well, especially if they are highly anticipated titles or part of well-established franchises.

Ultimately, the importance and dominance of the conversation around exclusive games versus multiplatform games can vary depending on factors such as the current lineup of exclusives, the competitive landscape of the gaming industry, and the preferences of the gaming community you're engaging with. Both types of games contribute to the diverse and dynamic gaming ecosystem, and discussions around them tend to reflect the interests and priorities of the players involved.

So, what do you think?

Note: Thanks ChatGPT for helping me organise the paragraphs almost like a thesis. Lol

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Note: Thanks ChatGPT for helping me organise the paragraphs almost like a thesis. Lol
Day Valentine GIF

feynoob

Banned
It's all due to people being able to afford 1 platform.
Multiplatform games are less talked about, since they aren't that exciting for the conversation.

People want to compare which one has a bigger duck. That is where exclusive games comes in to play.

feynoob

Banned
I tried to make better in each iteration.

Title: The Significance of Exclusive and Multiplatform Games in the Gaming Industry

Introduction:
The discussion surrounding the dominance of exclusive games within the gaming community can be subjective and dependent on various factors. While exclusive games generate substantial excitement and attention among gamers, the significance of multiplatform games should not be underestimated. This essay explores the role and importance of both exclusive and multiplatform games in the gaming industry, highlighting their impact on sales, brand loyalty, accessibility, and the diverse interests of players.

Exclusive Games: Driving Sales and Fostering Brand Loyalty
Exclusive games, developed and released by specific platforms or console manufacturers, serve as powerful drivers for sales and play a significant role in cultivating brand loyalty. These games are meticulously crafted to showcase the unique features and capabilities of a particular platform, be it a console like PlayStation or Xbox, or a PC gaming platform. They receive considerable attention and discussion within the gaming community, as they offer experiences that can only be enjoyed on a specific platform. The allure of exclusive games encourages players to invest in the associated platform, fostering a strong sense of loyalty and affinity toward the brand.

Multiplatform Games: Catering to a Wider Audience
In contrast, multiplatform games, which are released simultaneously or with slight time differences across multiple platforms, serve a crucial role in the gaming industry. These games cater to a broader audience, as they are accessible to players regardless of their chosen platform. By transcending hardware or platform exclusivity, multiplatform games allow gamers to enjoy popular titles without constraints. Due to their inclusive nature, multiplatform games also garner significant attention, particularly if they are highly anticipated titles or part of well-established franchises. They contribute to the overall diversity and accessibility of the gaming ecosystem.

Varied Dominance: Factors Influencing the Conversation
The extent of dominance in the conversation surrounding exclusive games versus multiplatform games can vary based on several factors. The current lineup of exclusives, the competitive landscape of the gaming industry, and the preferences of the gaming community all influence the prominence of these discussions. A strong lineup of exclusive games can create substantial buzz and generate widespread attention within the gaming community. On the other hand, highly anticipated multiplatform games or those associated with beloved franchises may also command significant focus. Ultimately, the importance of these games and the conversations surrounding them reflect the interests and priorities of the players involved.

Conclusion:
Exclusive and multiplatform games both hold immense significance in the gaming industry. While exclusive games drive sales and foster brand loyalty through their platform-specific experiences, multiplatform games cater to a wider audience and enhance accessibility. The dominance of the conversation surrounding these games is contingent upon factors such as the current lineup of exclusives, the competitive landscape, and the preferences of the gaming community. Acknowledging the importance of both types of games contributes to a dynamic and diverse gaming ecosystem that caters to the varied interests of players.

2nd try.

Title: The Role and Impact of Exclusive and Multiplatform Games in the Gaming Industry

Introduction:

The gaming industry is shaped by a diverse array of games, each offering unique experiences to players. Among the various types of games, exclusive and multiplatform titles play significant roles and contribute to the dynamic landscape of the gaming ecosystem. This essay delves deeper into the importance of exclusive and multiplatform games, exploring their impact on sales, brand loyalty, accessibility, and the broader gaming community.

Exclusive Games: Driving Sales and Cultivating Brand Loyalty

Exclusive games, developed and released by specific platforms or console manufacturers, serve as potent catalysts for driving sales and fostering brand loyalty. These games are meticulously designed to showcase the distinctive features and capabilities of a particular platform, whether it be a console like PlayStation or Xbox, or a PC gaming platform. By leveraging the full potential of the hardware and software of their associated platform, exclusive games offer unparalleled experiences that cannot be replicated elsewhere.

The allure of exclusive games generates considerable excitement and discussion within the gaming community. Gamers eagerly anticipate these titles, and the exclusivity factor often leads players to invest in the associated platform. This not only drives sales of the hardware but also fosters a strong sense of brand loyalty and affinity among players. Exclusive games create a bond between players and their preferred platform, as they become loyal supporters and advocates of the brand.

Multiplatform Games: Catering to Diverse Audiences

In contrast to exclusive games, multiplatform titles are released simultaneously or with slight time differences across multiple platforms. These games play a crucial role in catering to a wider audience and enhancing accessibility in the gaming industry. By transcending hardware or platform exclusivity, multiplatform games ensure that players can enjoy popular titles regardless of their chosen platform.

The accessibility offered by multiplatform games expands the reach of these titles, accommodating players with different gaming preferences and technological limitations. Whether a player owns a gaming console, a PC, or a mobile device, they can partake in the gaming experience. This inclusivity contributes to the overall diversity and growth of the gaming community.

Multiplatform games, particularly those associated with highly anticipated releases or well-established franchises, attract significant attention from both the gaming community and the wider public. Their availability across multiple platforms amplifies their visibility and increases the potential player base. Consequently, these games often achieve commercial success and have a lasting impact on the industry.

Varied Dominance: Factors Influencing the Conversation

The dominance of the conversation surrounding exclusive games versus multiplatform games can vary based on several factors. Firstly, the current lineup of exclusives plays a pivotal role in determining the intensity of discussions within the gaming community. A strong lineup of exclusive games can generate substantial buzz and become focal points of excitement and anticipation.

Secondly, the competitive landscape of the gaming industry influences the prominence of exclusive and multiplatform games. Platform manufacturers engage in fierce competition, striving to create compelling exclusives that entice players to choose their platforms. This competition fuels the conversation around exclusive games, as platforms seek to outshine their rivals through innovative and captivating gaming experiences.

Lastly, the preferences of the gaming community themselves shape the discourse surrounding exclusive and multiplatform games. The interests, tastes, and priorities of players influence the overall attention given to these games. Some players prioritize the unique experiences offered by exclusive games, while others value the accessibility and versatility of multiplatform titles. The ongoing dialogue between these perspectives contributes to the richness and diversity of the gaming discourse.

Conclusion:

Exclusive and multiplatform games are integral to the gaming industry, each contributing in unique ways to the growth and evolution of the medium. Exclusive games drive sales, cultivate brand loyalty, and provide platform-specific experiences that captivate players. Multiplatform games, on the other hand, cater to a diverse audience and enhance accessibility by being available on multiple platforms.

The dominance of the conversation surrounding exclusive and multiplatform games can vary depending on factors such as the current lineup of exclusives, the competitive landscape of the gaming industry, and the preferences of the gaming community. Both types of games contribute to the diverse and dynamic gaming ecosystem, and discussions around them tend to reflect the interests and priorities of the players involved. By recognizing the importance of both exclusive and multiplatform games, the gaming industry can continue to thrive and provide engaging experiences for a wide range of players.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Are you asking or telling?

Conversation is decided by the community. Here we don't have a big Fortnite community, but it doesn't mean it doesn't (or didn't at its peak) dominate discussion overall.

geary

Multiplatform games are less talked about, since they aren't that exciting for the conversation.
What actually generates exciting? Genuine question. Why a God of Ware generates more excitement than Hogwarts Legacy ? Why Halo Infinite generates more excitement than a Tomb Rider?
Instead of discussing exclusive features of a game which makes you chose a platform, most of them are usually used to fuel jabs to the competition or straight out console warring.

Cashon

Banned
It's all due to people being able to afford 1 platform.

People want to compare which one has a bigger duck. That is where exclusive games comes in to play.
Kinda.

I have all the current consoles. But if I could literally buy every game for just one, I certainly wouldn't have all three.

Exclusives should drive competition. If Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo all have unique, quality, experiences and reasons for owning a console, then there's actually a reason to own each. If exclusives go away, there's certainly no reason to own more than one.

Woopah

Obviously both types are very important.

If we look at this year, there will be a lot of conversation about Starfield, SM2 and TOTK. But Hogwarts, SF6, AC6, Assassin's Creed Mirage and MK1 will also be very important.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm not conversing with an A.I.
This message will self destruct in 30 seconds.
They are important, but as more and more developers get eaten up by the big 3, it may not matter soon.

feynoob

Banned
What actually generates exciting? Genuine question. Why a God of Ware generates more excitement than Hogwarts Legacy ? Why Halo Infinite generates more excitement than a Tomb Rider?
Instead of discussing exclusive features of a game which makes you chose a platform, most of them are usually used to fuel jabs to the competition or straight out console warring.
It's because you can find the experience on that particular console.

God of war is an angry dad on a quest to kill gods, while halo is a macho man with a great ass trying to kill aliens. Concept is normal, but they bring in different emotions. One is a story to be enjoyed alone, while the other is enjoyed as a community gathering.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'm not conversing with an A.I.
This message will self destruct in 30 seconds.
They are important, but as more and more developers get eaten up by the big 3, it may not matter soon.
I asked Google Bard to write me an essay of why exclusive games are bad for the industry. It started okay then it was nonsensical.

SeraphJan

Outside of OT threads, people here rarely have constructive discussion about games themselves at all.

News, Leaks, Videos aside, what you will find here is glorified warring (baiting) topic or dismissive nitpicking about games they hate.

Last edited:

Three

Someday those people will grow up and get a job so they can play on all systems.
it's usually the ones who are multiplatform owners who are the most vocal about "exclusives", how it is gathering dust and claim "I own all the systems" so their bias is ok too. It has nothing to do with being able to buy things with a salary.

Mr.Phoenix

Exclusives define and validate platforms. Can't be any simpler than that. If you can play 90% of games on everything, then you will go for whichever platform has the remaining 10% that you are interested in and can only play on the one platform.

However, to someone that has only one platform, every game is exclusive.

Last edited:

geary

It's because you can find the experience on that particular console.

God of war is an angry dad on a quest to kill gods, while halo is a macho man with a great ass trying to kill aliens. Concept is normal, but they bring in different emotions. One is a story to be enjoyed alone, while the other is enjoyed as a community gathering.
3rd party games brings also different emotions. In Hogwarts you plays a wizard in school, while in Tomb Rider as a archeologist-adventure in search of unknown artefacts. Each game from different developers brings some kind of emotions to some players. You cant say that's something you can find only in 1st party games.

You can make the case that in some of them we have a bit more attention to details since is the affecting the brand name and they need to develop only to on type of tech, but as a strictly video game PoV, they don't bring innovative features to push the industry forward.

I do find it funny how many publications try to sell 1st party games as something never seen before, but you can feel the fear of losing the platform support and access, behind all this hype they create. And not to mention the influencers and tweeter warriors who many of the mare free marketing for Sony/MS and some of they don't realize they basically "work for free".

DaGwaphics

Obviously, you've got a bunch of Looney Tunes characters on the webs warring and the multi-plats don't provide much ammunition there as has already been said.

Outside of that though, some of it is because the first-parties are typically more free to test the waters with new ideas and often offer a more polished final product where third-parties are more likely to get stuck in the corporate grind as making money is the only purpose for their games (where first-parties are about selling the console and ecosystem as much as the games themselves).

Roxkis_ii

Exclusive games push the medium forward ( at least on console). What games look as good as Ratchet & Clank. (Ps5) , HFW or even the new final fantasy. There is no game that feels as good to play as Returnal or Ratchet & Clank due to their duelsence features.

Multiplatform games have to deal with the lowest denominator, so they don't often get to the point where they blow people away like exclusives do.

hyperbertha

Exclusive games push the medium forward ( at least on console). What games look as good as Ratchet & Clank. (Ps5) , HFW or even the new final fantasy. There is no game that feels as good to play as Returnal or Ratchet & Clank due to their duelsence features.

Multiplatform games have to deal with the lowest denominator, so they don't often get to the point where they blow people away like exclusives do.
Nah. Final fantasy and returnal aren't even impressive looking games. I can think of various multiplats that have blown me away as much as exclusives. Gta, rdr2, the first two ac games, prince of Persia etc. It all depends on money and skill of the developers.
Exclusive games dominate conversations because it feeds into insecure manchildren's copium about whatever plastic box they own. 'look my console has better games than yours'. And they defend their exclusives to death.

Roxkis_ii

Nah. Final fantasy and returnal aren't even impressive looking games. I can think of various multiplats that have blown me away as much as exclusives. Gta, rdr2, the first two ac games, prince of Persia etc. It all depends on money and skill of the developers.
Exclusive games dominate conversations because it feeds into insecure manchildren's copium about whatever plastic box they own. 'look my console has better games than yours'. And they defend their exclusives to death.
I'm sorry, I was talking about game feel when I bought up Returnal. How it feels to move and shoot in that game with the Dualsense.

If you think rdr2 looks better then the new final fantasy, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Edit: I think people who spends thousands of dollars on Pc's tend to have the biggest egos, and short circuit when anyone mentions that a console game could compete with their personal computers.

In other words, man children will be men children regardless of platform. You pointing out consoles users is interesting tho.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I'm sorry, I was talking about game feel when I bought up Returnal. How it feels to move and shoot in that game with the Dualsense.

If you think rdr2 looks better then the new final fantasy, then we will just have to agree to disagree.
Rdr 2 is about on par with the new ff, but it's a last gen game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It changes, if big MP games are released then it’s bout them if big SP Hanes are released then it’s about them. 🤷‍♂️

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Returnal on m+kb is way better tho

PeteBull

U know who doesnt wanna talk about exclusives? Ppl who get no access to them/got only bad ones.
Consoles/pc doesnt live in a vacuum, every1 got multiplats, so one thing that is added bonus, cherry on top or whatever u call it- are those high quality exclusive games build up from the ground up to take full advantage of the system.
In other words so called system seller/musthave game, term widely used in the 80s, 90s and early 2k's.

Those kinds of games that give console its soul and give us precious unforgetable memories even 20-30years after we are done with it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Exclusives are snatched up by consumers and sends a message to gamers that they’re serious. Exclusives are proven to sell more.

Labadal

There needs to be a good mix of first party, and third party games. I have 14 PS5 games, of which 4 are first party.

Fbh

It's harder to console war when talking about multiplatform games so of course they don't generate as much buzz in forums. You can still console war with them but then it comes down to technical differences which is why Digital Foundry threads are still so popular around here.

With that said I think when third party games are actually good and not your average GAAS or formulaic Ubisoft trash they can still dominate the conversation: Like Elden Ring or Hogwarts Legacy or RE4 Remake.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If anything, I dont understand why xbox players even have xbox... like just get a ps5 dude and enjoy the games. Make it easier on the devs by removing 16 xboxes from development lol
/s

Last edited:
Exclusives games tend to be the best games.

When there are great multi-platform games, such as Elden Ring, those dominate the conversation, just as much as anything else like God of War or Tears of the Kingdom.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

First party exclusives are nice, and I always tend to try out as many as possible on my platform of choice, but I play way more third party games as a whole. A rock solid third party support is crucial to me when it comes to picking consoles, and Playstation has favored best so far in that area.

It's only because you're spending too much time on core gaming forums.

Go check the Google Analytics and Twitter metrics for first-party vs. the biggest third-party games. I think you'll find that 3rd party games dominate the wider medium's conversation more.

Bottom line: don't spend all your time in single-platform echo-chamber threads on NeoGaf.

Top Bottom