• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Westwood devs announce Command & Conquer: Renegade spiritual successor, Earthbreakers.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

What most people don't know is that after Westwood Studios closed, a group of former Westwood employees opened up an independent Las Vegas-based studio, Petroglyph Games, in 2003. They've been releasing games ever since, with varying degrees of success, and have even worked with Electronic Arts to release remastered versions of some of their old games.

Now, it looks like Petroglyph is hoping to recapture some of their former glory by creating Earthbreakers, a hybrid of the first-person-shooter and real-time strategy genres that looks to capture the spirit of Command & Conquer: Renegade.

The game will involve working as a team to harvest resources and build a base as you fight against opposing forces in a race to create better equipment and defenses and destroy the enemy headquarters.

What's more, Frank Klepacki, the iconic video game composer who created the scores for dozens of Westwood Studios' old games, has confirmed that he will be creating music for Earthbreakers.

It remains to be seen whether fans of the old Command & Conquer games will jump at the opportunity to play Earthbreakers when it releases in 2020. The game can be wishlisted on Steam now.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
When Petroglyph was opened, I was like a child, thinking that EA haven't been able to destroy this great team. But since then every games they've been showing has been a deception, and even if I'm happy for them to be still alive this game doesn't look like it's gonna be good.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Uhm. What?

I don't recall anyone want something like this. Looks like Renegade and Fortnite had a baby.

Gl selling this violence to 8 yo, cus that's what the graphics is aiming for with that Fortnite anesthetics.

zcaa0g

Banned
This "art style" needs to die. It comes more off as lacking the technical art capability than it does a "art direction".

Von Hugh

Motherfucker.

I forgot that C&C: Renegade even existed. That was probably one of the first PC games I bought back in the day.

But, yeah, that art style. How about you make your own instead of just copying Fortnite.

Ornlu

Banned
This "art style" needs to die. It comes more off as lacking the technical art capability than it does a "art direction".

I dunno; if you do it right you can end up with a nice looking game that still runs on budget PCs. If the goal is creating a game that gets worldwide popularity, it needs to be able to play on damn near everything. Consoles in the US, European PCs, PCs in Asian bang cafes, probably mobile, etc.

Also, cutesy art/cell shading doesn't usually look like complete ass in a couple years, if you're trying to milk it for a while.

eot

Banned
Half the appeal of C&C: Renegade was that it was set in the C&C universe. Without that this is just another Battlefield like game (I'm guessing)

Hudo

Man... I wish those guys all the luck but I am still sad about the cancelled Renegade game set in the Red Alert universe (or timeline, depending on how you see the ending of Red Alert).
I was also excited for Tiberium, which got cancelled as well. I could've lived with a mediocre game if I just could go into those red zones and experience bit of this post-apocalyptic, tiberium-infested flair...

While I still am grateful that those remasters are happening, I still can't get over EA fucking the franchise into oblivion.

Top Bottom