• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-StarCraft 2 & WarCraft 3 Devs Form Frost Giant Studios to Create “Next Great RTS”

Bullet Club

Ex-StarCraft 2 & WarCraft 3 Devs Form Frost Giant Studios to Create “Next Great RTS”

Key developers behind the acclaimed real-time strategy games, StarCraft 2 and WarCraft 3, are forming a new game development team known as Frost Giant Studios. The team is being formed to create “the next great PC RTS game” and, if you’re interested, they are hiring.

That’s… just about all we know as far as what the studio is working on at the moment. Today was clearly just about announcing the Frost Giant Studios as a thing that exists and there’s no look into what they are working on just yet.

However, who is working at the studio is another story. Frost Giant Studios’ website gives us a look at who the key team members are, and it’s quite the crew if you’re a fan of StarCraft 2 and WarCraft 3.

5wLaJPp.png

That’s hefty mix of big names from not only StarCraft 2 and WarCraft 3, but other titles as well including Wasteland 3 and, interestingly, Diablo 4.

Oddly enough, shortly before this post went live, the website for Frost Giant Studios crashed. So it may be a little bit before you can peruse for yourself, but I’d imagine it’s resolved shortly.

The timing of the announcement falls only a few days after Blizzard announced plans to cease paid-content development for StarCraft 2 in a move that many fans in the community have perceived as the first step towards winding the now decade-plus old game down.

Source: Twinfinite

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah. Hope it turns out well.

I could never get into MOBAs and would love to see RTS make a comeback.

AJUMP23

I look forward to seeing what they come up with. I would prefer more Warcraft style than StarCraft style. But maybe they will do something innovative in the genre.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A third person Starcraft Battle Royale that emphasizes choice (strategies and tactics) over twitch reflexes and mechanical skill, is the next great RTS.

Fbh

This is good because if their game is successful it could bring some newfound popularity for the RTS genre....and that improves the chances of a Battle For Middle Earth 3

Last edited:
Those days are long over, enjoy what we get when we get it.

You never know. We have cicles. Theres always something that comes out and explodes and brings half a decade of mimicks with it. Its battle royale and gas games now. Who knows when the right game will show and kickstart the genre all over again.

Although it would need to ditch those fucking piece of shit consoles and their shit controllers.

EDMIX

You never know. We have cicles. Theres always something that comes out and explodes and brings half a decade of mimicks with it. Its battle royale and gas games now. Who knows when the right game will show and kickstart the genre all over again.

Although it would need to ditch those fucking piece of shit consoles and their shit controllers.

Yea....thats just not going to happen. You going to need to really pick a struggle here. You want the genre to make a come back and "explode" yet you want it not to release on other systems.....

So thats just not realistic situation. Its like me saying I want JRPGs to really make a huge come back, but hey can they please not come to Switch or PC, we need LESS PEOPLE BUYING IT /s Look at Iron Harvest

or this

or this

or this

and how could I legit for get about this

They can't limit where they put the game, those days are over and it makes more sense to put it out on as many system as even if YOU hate those "shit controllers" that fucking fan base will buy the game and fund those sequels for you on PC in the first place. So I've played a few on console and the newer games have done a great job with controller in terms of layout. I own Pillars Of Eternity for actually both PC and console and own Sims 4 on both PC and console and I can say, we've come a very long way and they feel pretty good on console.

As in...I'd have no issue buying Divinity Sin sequels or Baldur's Gate 3 or Sims 5 on console. So understand, saying stuff like "fucking piece of shit consoles and their shit controllers"....you mean the very community that will buy such a game to actually help the genre "explode"? so....you want less sales? If you are playing it on PC, why care about me playing it on console? My money will only help you get sequels. I don't see how you'd benefit by the game selling less units....

Last edited:

fatty

In the past couple of months I’ve been getting back into playing SC2. Love the game. Still need to finish the LotV and Nova campaigns but I can’t get enough of playing 1v1 ranked games.

Playing SC2 and chess both scratch my competitive itch where those are the only online competitive games I play. Both only last a short amount of time so it is easy to jump in and out quickly and get my fix before Having to move in to other things.

Mokus

I'm big fan of the old Blizzard. And I'm not sure if these guys actually made important decisions in making the classic Blizzard RTS games. For a good game there is more than just "let's make a game".

I hope they will prove me wrong, but until then I'm sceptical.

Yea....thats just not going to happen. You going to need to really pick a struggle here. You want the genre to make a come back and "explode" yet you want it not to release on other systems.....

So thats just not realistic situation. Its like me saying I want JRPGs to really make a huge come back, but hey can they please not come to Switch or PC, we need LESS PEOPLE BUYING IT /s Look at Iron Harvest

They can't limit where they put the game, those days are over and it makes more sense to put it out on as many system as even if YOU hate those "shit controllers" that fucking fan base will buy the game and fund those sequels for you on PC in the first place. So I've played a few on console and the newer games have done a great job with controller in terms of layout. I own Pillars Of Eternity for actually both PC and console and own Sims 4 on both PC and console and I can say, we've come a very long way and they feel pretty good on console.

As in...I'd have no issue buying Divinity Sin sequels or Baldur's Gate 3 or Sims 5 on console. So understand, saying stuff like "fucking piece of shit consoles and their shit controllers"....you mean the very community that will buy such a game to actually help the genre "explode"? so....you want less sales? If you are playing it on PC, why care about me playing it on console? My money will only help you get sequels. I don't see how you'd benefit by the game selling less units....

none of those games are rts's except iron harvest. And they're all simplistic and gimped enough in order to have some semblance of playability on controllers. And none of them are optimal being played like that. An RTS just has no place on a console and a controller. Its bad enough nearly every genre is fucked up and automated by the need to have it run on controllers, i would hope RTS games escape it. You absolutely dont need consoles for it. It was one of the biggest genres out of all of them at one time and it was exclusivelly driven by the PC market.

Id rather the genre never come back if it needs to run on consoles

Last edited:
You have my attention. SC2 was criminally underrated, always in the shadow of its mighty older brother. The pedigree here is tremendous.

Either sci fi or fantasy setting I dont mind.

Bolivar687

Banned
I wish them luck, there have been many veterans that started a rts studio but failed to deliver. Remember Grey Goo?

Petroglyph was around for years before Grey Goo and they are still making games today. They just shipped a game you might have heard about, called Command & Conquer Remastered Collection.

I have Grey Goo in my Steam Library, never got to play it. Is it any good?

Yes, campaign is cool and had some really great cinematics.

The key word in RTS is STRATEGY.

If they can bring the focus back to strategy, and not APM, I'm so in.

I think it's just that Koreans got really competitive with these games and left the West behind in terms of skills. SC1 was also about APM but maybe to a lesser degree slightly and that's the GOAT. Unless you mean like C&C or AoE, I love those too tbh but they're less insane in terms of potential skill level.

This is good because if their game is successful it could bring some newfound popularity for the RTS genre....and that improves the chances of a Battle For Middle Earth 3

Was great that, I remember levelling up Lurtz and dominating my flatmates all those years back.

EDMIX

none of those games are rts's except iron harvest. And they're all simplistic and gimped enough in order to have some semblance of playability on controllers. And none of them are optimal being played like that. An RTS just has no place on a console and a controller. Its bad enough nearly every genre is fucked up and automated by the need to have it run on controllers, i would hope RTS games escape it. You absolutely dont need consoles for it. It was one of the biggest genres out of all of them at one time and it was exclusivelly driven by the PC market.

Id rather the genre never come back if it needs to run on consoles

You too triggered man. Who on Earth said it needs to "run on consoles"? It can clearly still release on PC which helps you.

I still don't see how you gain anything from it not existing on console when you are not even going to play it on console. Keep your PC...

it was exclusivelly

yea was...those days are done. You want a genre to "explode" yet want less people to play it. The reality is, those games being on console only help. Look what we are seeing with CRPGs

and

and

and

and

So you'd need to have all hands on deck to really get that genre moving again, trying to ask for LESS SALES doesn't make sense in this situation.

An RTS just has no place on a console and a controller.

yet it exist so...... sorry bud. Don't play on that system if that hurts you this much then, play it on PC, the days of that only coming out on PC and moving millions is pretty much long over. As someone that literally plays RTS on PC, the ones on console fit, make sense and control pretty damn good to get to the point.

I don't know how you are even going to have anything "explode" by asking for less sales, less install base etc.

rather the genre never come back

Yea...sounds more like you are more interested in having less people play this genre then actually playing it at all. This is where we have to ignore you man, you seem more fixated on people not playing the genre then having it "explode".

yet it exist so...... sorry bud. Don't play on that system if that hurts you this much then, play it on PC, the days of that only coming out on PC and moving millions is pretty much long over. As someone that literally plays RTS on PC, the ones on console fit, make sense and control pretty damn good to get to the point.

I don't know how you are even going to have anything "explode" by asking for less sales, less install base etc.

Yea...sounds more like you are more interested in having less people play this genre then actually playing it at all. This is where we have to ignore you man, you seem more fixated on people not playing the genre then having it "explode".

Why are the days of only coming out on pc and moving millions gone ? Now, when its bigger than ever and in fact sells more copies of everything than xbox and is behind only ps4 ? You serious ?

The reason i dont want it to come on consoles has nothing to do with carring what other people play. Thats not the point. When you make a game thats gonna release on consoles, you're designing it a certain way. You're doing every gameplay and design decision based on if it'll run well on gamepads. You're gimping and limiting the game that way. Think about it like this: hey guys, lets try to implement feature X and lets try to do thing Z. Of damn, this wont work on gamepads. Scratch that, lets just do the basics, those will run."

Every game you play on consoles is filled to the teeth with assists for every possible action. The game is mostly doing the actions you think you did, not you. Look at a game like Halo Wars, thats nerfed and neutered that it barelly resembles an rts. Thats what you'll have with a console designed rts.

If the stars allign, we can have the genre be like it was in the 90's, we dont need to sully it with consoles

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I just want to make strategic decisions, while my opponent(s) make strategic decisions and I want to win or lose based on those strategic decisions.

The RTS genre shouldn't be tied to the framework established in the 90's. Let's progress.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

or this

or this

or this

and how could I legit for get about this

WHY DO PEOPLE BRING UP CIV 6 WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT RTS ON CONSOLE

HOW DUMB CAN YOU BE

IT IS A TURNBASED GAME

EDMIX

We thought the same about top down turn based crpg's, now they're all over the shop.

Tastes change, history swings pendulously, there's nothing new under the sun.

True, but look at all that it took for that to even happen. I think it very much can occur, simply not singled out only on 1 system. The huge surge in CRPG popularity also has to do with the large number of systems those games are not being put on. More get to enjoy them. So I think they can make a huge comeback as I'm hype for Iron Harvest and hope it turns into a huge series.

True, but look at all that it took for that to even happen. I think it very much can occur, simply not singled out only on 1 system. The huge surge in CRPG popularity also has to do with the large number of systems those games are not being put on. More get to enjoy them. So I think they can make a huge comeback as I'm hype for Iron Harvest and hope it turns into a huge series.

I think we just need a good game. Something that blows up and takes off. This industry is laughably unoriginal, as soon as a 'new' market is opened up it gets flooded by firms trying to cash in.

Snake00

I just want to make strategic decisions, while my opponent(s) make strategic decisions and I want to win or lose based on those strategic decisions.

The RTS genre shouldn't be tied to the framework established in the 90's. Let's progress.

Then go play turn based games...

There is a reason why every popular eSport (or even every actual sport) focuses heavily on mechanics.
A competitive game where only strategy maters (like chess) is boring to watch and to play in my opinion.

Ornlu

Banned
A third person Starcraft Battle Royale that emphasizes choice (strategies and tactics) over twitch reflexes and mechanical skill, is the next great RTS.

"God damn it "69bAnGeDuRmOm69", you can't just spawn as a baneling and detonate on our own drones every match! This is bullshit!!!"

Top Bottom