• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Sony Dev: PS5 Will Struggle With Big Third Party Open Worlds; Can’t do Real Time Ray Tracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
mod edit: Third dupe

Whilst the official specs are out in the wild, it’s still unclear just how big the power difference is between the Xbox Series X and PS5. Since the reveal of the PS5 specs, we’ve seen multiple Sony developers come out and say that the PS5 performs better than the specs suggest and the power difference will be quite minimal in practice.

The proof will be in the pudding but since we haven’t seen either console in action, all we can do for now is rely on the experts. Speaking of, ex-Sony Killzone developer Chris Grannell recently featured on the RDX podcast where he shared his expert opinion on the matter:

The podcast is a long one clocking in just under the 3 hour mark. Topics such as Xbox Lockhart, PS5, Xbox Series X, Cyberpunk 2077 and more are all covered. In the section on talk of specs, Chris Grannell has this to say:

“The big [difference] really is the amount of CUs (compute units) that’s pretty…that’s pretty huge when you start to look at real time ray tracing and things like that…Where PS5 is potentially going to struggle is some of those big third party games like open world [games].”

When the talk moved onto ray tracing, the ex-Sony developer shared some interesting information:

“There’s only one next-gen console that will be able to do real time ray tracing. That’s a bit of a controversial statement…but Cerny skipped over it and didn’t talk about it…it comes down to CUs, consistency, what’s on the hardware.”

Last edited by a moderator:

MaulerX

Well MS has already showcased real time path-tracing on Series X. Seems like Series X was built from the ground up with Ray-Tracing in mind. This is one area where I fully expect the Series X to shine over the PS5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good to see an ex-dev with no stake in the sand anymore regarding gaming (he works for a sports fan engagement company now) have unbiased opinions.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Whilst the official specs are out in the wild, it’s still unclear just how big the power difference is between the Xbox Series X and PS5. Since the reveal of the PS5 specs, we’ve seen multiple Sony developers come out and say that the PS5 performs better than the specs suggest and the power difference will be quite minimal in practice.

The proof will be in the pudding but since we haven’t seen either console in action, all we can do for now is rely on the experts. Speaking of, ex-Sony Killzone developer Chris Grannell recently featured on the RDX podcast where he shared his expert opinion on the matter:

The podcast is a long one clocking in just under the 3 hour mark. Topics such as Xbox Lockhart, PS5, Xbox Series X, Cyberpunk 2077 and more are all covered. In the section on talk of specs, Chris Grannell has this to say:

When the talk moved onto ray tracing, the ex-Sony developer shared some interesting information:

This salty developer again 🙄 lmao

He hasn't worked for Sony in over a decade

The Shift

Banned
Sony has yet to demonstrate real time ray tracing on PS5 so that's an unknown as far as that's concerned.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One did big open worlds to varying degrees so I can't see that being an issue either.

Both consoles will knock peoples socks off graphically - I'm hoping there are bigger strides in gameplay, physics and AI systems with a big focus on sustained framerate overall.

Probably going to be a great generation of games all said and done.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Both consoles will knock peoples socks off graphically - I'm hoping there are bigger strides in gameplay, physics and AI systems with a big focus on sustained framerate overall.
The order of operations will be:

1. Adding RT asap
2. Improving textures
3. Maxing out resolution best as possible (native 4k if possible)
4. Stabilizing frame rates
5. Trying to get 60 fps
6 and beyond. Improvements to AI, physics, gameplay

THEAP99

Banned
If those Halo infinite scenes are anything to go by? Why are people so worrying about Sony as if all a sudden they forgot how to do everything?

93xfan

Banned
At the end of the day, neither system will struggle with large AAA open worlds. This is a bad headline and a console war thread.

If you actually listen to the podcast, he doesn't come across like this.

Ascend

This salty developer again 🙄 lmao

He hasn't worked for Sony in over a decade
Ah yes. Because if you do not work for Sony anymore, it means that they kicked you out, and you must be so bummed that you want to jump off a bridge. That's how great, wonderful and glorious Sony is. It is impossible to have left on your own, because there are no other desires than Sony, or a better job opportunity simply cannot present itself...

People say Dealer and their friends aren't toxic? It's obvious why they wanted him on their podcast.

How many developers commenting on the PS5's superiority have dev kits for both consoles?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ah yes. Because if you do not work for Sony anymore, it means that they kicked you out, and you must be so bummed that you want to jump off a bridge. That's how great, wonderful and glorious Sony is. It is impossible to have left on your own, because there are no other desires than Sony, or a better job opportunity simply cannot present itself...

How many developers commenting on the PS5's superiority have dev kits for both consoles?
Jason spoke to third party devs. Think they don't have access to XB dev kits?

TLZ

Banned
I don't get this thread.

Am I supposed to be angry or happy?
Hangry?

giphy.gif

down 2 orth

This is buying me plenty of time to conquer my backlog before I buy that Black Friday PS5 pro that's been collecting dust.

Jtibh

Banned
I'm confused didn't we have a thread on this interview?
I am sure it was more then one.
I was shitting on dealer all day long and as you can see rightfully so, its not like he ever puts out the truth, but i lost track on which thread it was .

But its late and i am tired.
Have no more energy left to ripp dealer apart.

Ok here is one.
Dealer please take note of voost kain. He knows how to troll and be a straight face fanboy at the same time.
You should learn from him.

I don't get this thread.

Am I supposed to be angry or happy?

why not both?

I'm confused didn't we have a thread on this interview?

I think there were two posted earlier today but one was closed and neither are on the front page, both had different titles too and focused on a different quote from the dev, so in fairness to Ibiza I,can see how it slipped

Last edited:

Ascend

Jason spoke to third party devs. Think they don't have access to XB dev kits?
There's a difference between having access to one, actually having one, testing one, developing on one, and efficiently developing on one.

Even if they have them, they can have both, but only have used the PS5 one for whatever reason (porting to the other later for example), and then praise the PS5, not really knowing what the other does
Or
They did a shallow test of both and the PS5 is simpler because of the RAM for example, and they like that more, and thus praise it more.
Or
They haven't used either and are basing their opinion on their own biases or on the specs just like anyone else
Or
They received the PS5 dev kits first and have been using it longer, and the lack of familiarity with the XSX dev kit takes some getting used to
Or
A bunch of other things

There are too many variables, and conclusions are being drawn too quickly based on what devs that are (probably) under NDA say.

Last edited:

sneas78

Banned
Why does it even matter? .. come on peps... let the games do the talking.. salt salt everywhere. I will enjoy both of these consoles you salty lunatics.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There's a difference between having access to one, actually having one, testing one, developing on one, and efficiently developing on one.

Even if they have them, they can have both, but only have used the PS5 one for whatever reason (porting to the other later for example), and then praise the PS5, not really knowing what the other does
Or
They did a shallow test of both and the PS5 is simpler because of the RAM for example, and they like that more, and thus praise it more.
Or
They haven't used either and are basing their opinion on their own biases or on the specs just like anyone else
Or
They received the PS5 dev kits first and have been using it longer, and the lack of familiarity with the XSX dev kit takes some getting used to
Or
A bunch of other things

There are too many variables, and conclusions are being drawn too quickly based on what devs that are (probably) under NDA say.
Right...

So he heard from devs that were guessing on XsX and PS5's performance.

You're trying pretty hard to discredit his information.

Ar¢tos

By this rate, I will be surprised if PS5 can run Pac-Man...
A 40% difference current gen seemed to be a lot smaller than the monstrous gap of the 20% difference next gen.
A 20% difference that will allow XSX to have full RT while ps5 won't even be able to run open world games....
These FUD spreading threads shouldn't be allowed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
By this rate, I will be surprised if PS5 can run Pac-Man...
A 40% difference current gen seemed to be a lot smaller than the monstrous gap of the 20% difference next gen.
A 20% difference that will allow XSX to have full RT while ps5 won't even be able to run open world games....
These FUD spreading threads shouldn't be allowed.

This is why they are so active and angry and focused and you see these threads multiply (they were back when it was the PS4 which was 35-40% faster, imagine now):

6xoUNsZ.png

trSKyia.jpg

That and PS5 showing any strength: the spiel normally goes “oh but PS5 is still amazing, be happy about it... just not anywhere as amazing as the XSX, it is still totally outmatched in anything by its glorious design and if you have a higher spec in anything it is a waste of resources and overhyped”.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Stop using logic and common sense on GAF, that's not allowed here!

martino

This is why they are so active and angry and focused and you see these threads multiply (they were back when it was the PS4 which was 35-40% faster, imagine now):

6xoUNsZ.png

trSKyia.jpg

That and PS5 showing any strength: the spiel normally goes “oh but PS5 is still amazing, be happy about it... just not anywhere as amazing as the XSX, it is still totally outmatched in anything by its glorious design and if you have a higher spec in anything it is a waste of resources and overhyped”.

Are you saying this dev is one of them ?
This selective ad hominem or at opposite authority / content culture from PS fan is same level than the MS discord.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Stop using logic and common sense on GAF, that's not allowed here!

If you were to use logic you would think “not a technical developer but a game designer, no direct experience with the HW, out of the company for many years, curiously the classic talking points regurgitated, etc...”... this will keep being milked till it is dry or morale improves.

The Shift

Banned
The order of operations will be:

1. Adding RT asap
2. Improving textures
3. Maxing out resolution best as possible (native 4k if possible)
4. Stabilizing frame rates
5. Trying to get 60 fps
6 and beyond. Improvements to AI, physics, gameplay

Don't really care about the first three points - if the games are going to be no different than the last two generations but just prettier then sheesh my interest in this pastime will wane even further than it where it stands currently.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Are you saying this dev is one of them ?

I am not saying this dev is one of them, but the question could not wait for an answer before jumping at my throat (no hint of irony there apparently...), not sure I have taken a strong position about any of the devs commenting as weapons in the console wars, but again do not let that stop you jumping at me.

This selective ad hominem culture from PS fan is same level better than the MS discord.
Oh yes, same level or worse than coordinating trolls / free astroturfing aimed at changing public perception in a private discord group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom