• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-NOA head Reggie Fils-Aime is neither for or against unions. Believes they are a symptom of a bigger problem.

Yeah its a vicious circle. They exists because corporations can treat employees like shit. Because our society is about money making and success. So, you need unions. Because without unions, where do you go if you're being fucked over?

In an ideal world, every workplace is a healthy place to work in. But this is utopia. There will always be corporations with shitty practices and thus unions need to be there. I'm not saying unions are saints. I am actually without an union for some years now, since my situation became stable and i am in decent place. US unions are perhaps different, but here they did pull some good stuff off like better salaries and more days off. Sometimes though, they stir too much shit.

I'm pro union if joining the union is optional. What makes unions turn into parasitic leeches is when it becomes illegal for the employee to leave the union or decide not to join. (ie. all blue states).

If the union exists to better the employee by providing better pay/benefits then why do they have to force employees to join? Everyone should want to join if that were the case. But it's not. So they set up a union shop and bully there way in.

Unknown?

What are you talking about. I said the company had been mismanaged to point that customers no longer considered it as an option due to poor reliability. Who cares about the 300, actually successful cars are Accord Camry Corolla Civic Golf etc
And I pointed out that customers were still buying them and it doesn't matter how big they are if they're managed well which Daimler couldn't do.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Unions are useful when I write SQL queries.

We Did It Mic Drop GIF

Edit: nerd joke

tumbleweed GIF
Why not JOIN the UNION then?

Tams

Cool. How long were you in each country?
I see what you're trying to do, but it's no relevant to the discussion.

This is about US, or more widely North American, views on unions. No one needs to have visited either country to have a valid opinion on that.

Other countries have large numbers of unions, some very large, and they haven't economically ground to a halt. And their workers have better living conditions.

Tg89

If the union exists to better the employee by providing better pay/benefits then why do they have to force employees to join? Everyone should want to join if that were the case. But it's not. So they set up a union shop and bully there way in.
Lot of corporate bootlickers and idiots who have been convinced unions are bad.

Topher

Gold Member
I see what you're trying to do, but it's no relevant to the discussion.

This is about US, or more widely North American, views on unions. No one needs to have visited either country to have a valid opinion on that.

Other countries have large numbers of unions, some very large, and they haven't economically ground to a halt. And their workers have better living conditions.

You are expressing opinions that go beyond unions. Perhaps take your own advice and stick to the topic of unions if you don't want to be scrutinized as to how informed your opinion is on other countries.

Just saying.

Majukun

the thing about unions is that is up to the workers to be pro or against it, execs should just shut the fuck up about them

Top Bottom