• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex CD Projekt Red developers will be announcing a new studio later today named REBEL WOLVES. | UE 5 next gen

nowhat

I'm interested but they should be careful with the scope of their project.
It's a difficult genre and if they underestimate the challenge relatively to the size and know-how of the team the risk of a new Cyberpunk is behind the corner.
I don't think the management from CDPR has yet to jump ship.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, game director on The Witcher 3 and co-director for Cyberpunk 2077 has started up a new AAA studio in Poland called Rebel Wolves.

The studio has already lined up its first project, a AAA dark fantasy game built using Unreal Engine 5. You can check out the first teaser art for the game below.

rebel-wolves-teaser-key-art-1644991914452.png

The Rebel Wolves team is assembled from veterans of the Polish AAA development scene including developers who’ve worked on Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher series, Thronebreaker, and Shadow Warrior 2.

This includes director Tomaszkiewicz, design director Daniel Sadowski (Witcher 1), Narrative director Jakub Szamalek (Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077), animation director Tamara Zawada (Witcher 3), art director Bartlomiej Gawel (Witcher 1-3), CFO Michal Boyrka, and studio head Robert Muzynowski.

“In order to create truly great games, we won’t chase trends or numbers,” says Szamalek. “Our goal is clearly defined: to create memorable games, tell moving stories, and evoke visceral emotions. It’s ambitious, true - and I’m glad it is. Art needs ambition. I don’t want to create another game, I want to work on titles people will remember.”

Founder Tomaszkiewicz says the name for the studio was inspired by the power that comes from a pack of wolves versus a lone wolf. “Personally, I couldn’t be happier to have banded together with friends who share this passion. We’re developing a video game we’d like to play in a way that games should be made,” Tomaszkiewicz says in reference to the studio goal of breaking away from traditional AAA development.

“We want to evolve the cRPG genre by creating unforgettable stories… all while working as a tightly knit team united by a shared goal and ambition… We want to stay small and agile — a place where people know and care for each other.”

The move away from traditional AAA development could be a response to reports of crunch employed in some of Poland’s biggest development studios like CD Projekt Red and Techland. With breaking this trend as a stated goal for Rebel Wolves, the team is looking to hire and build out its new game studio with open positions currently available.

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/rebel-wolves-new-studio-witcher-cyberpunk-unreal-engine-5

Last edited:

Denton

Is Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz his brother (still at cdpr)
Mateusz left CDP shortly after Konrad and joined fucking Riot Games of all places. I guess he wanted a change of scenery (Warsaw versus California)

He should come back and join his bro.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Call me cynical but in my view the problems of AAA development mainly arise due to the scale of the undertaking. Its almost unavoidable because when team size exceeds a certain number it becomes more about management and logistics than individual creativity, and the longer the team survives and the headcount grows corporatism becomes more and more prevalent.

It reminds me a bit of Rick & Morty's Citadel, where in order to defy the galactic government the Ricks' form their own government!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Here's hoping they nail this and get good funding for the project. Need me some dark fantasy single-player that isn't Souls.

samoilaaa

Tomaszkiewicz said the studio is targeting a 2025 release date for this first game — and the company said in a press release that it will be hiring to fill roles “in the coming months.” The goal is to “create a medium size studio with a cap of about 80 people,” Tomaszkiewicz said. He’s funding Rebel Wolves “by myself,” and the studio is “searching for business partners on this journey.”

Fbh

Cool I guess. Hopefully they learned from the whole Cyberpunk debacle.

Don't get overly ambitious, don't start over promising features 4 years in advance, and only start showing your game when it's close to release and the visuals and mechanics have mostly been finalized.

Top Bottom