• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution of Far Cry 2004-2021

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Evolution of Far Cry Games 2004 - 2021
Includes Gameplay From ALL Far Cry Video Games

đź“Ś All Far Cry games in the Evolution:

00:00 Far Cry (2004) - PC
01:04 Far Cry: Instincts (2005) - Xbox
01:52 Far Cry Instincts: Evolution (2006) - Xbox
02:46 Far Cry: Vengeance (2006) - Wii
03:46 Far Cry: Instincts Predator (2006) - Xbox 360
04:49 Far Cry Paradise Lost (2007) - Arcade
05:31 Far Cry 2 (2008) - PS3, Xbox 360 & PC
06:49 Far Cry 3 (2012) - PS3, XB360, PS4, XB1 & PC
07:46 Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (2013) - PS3, XB360, PS4, XB1 & PC
08:41 Far Cry Classic (2014) - PS3 & XB360
09:19 Far Cry 4 (2014) - PS4, XB1, XB360, PS3 & PC
10:10 Far Cry Primal (2016) - PC, PS4 & XB1
11:20 Far Cry 5 (2018) - PC, PS4 & XB1
12:28 Far Cry New Dawn (2019) - PC, PS4 & XB1
13:28 Far Cry 6 (2021) - PC, PS5, XBS X/S, PS4, XB1 & Stadia
Far Cry VR : Dive Into Insanity

The game footage for each Far Cry game is focused on action-filled gameplay and vehicles. The intro/trailer is also included for each game.

My first experience was with Far Cry: Instincts and later with all console versions and I think it's a great saga with each game trying to be different. Far Cry 3 and blood dragon was a great moment for the games.

Romulus

Instincts and Evolution on the OG Xbox was pretty impressive at the time. I remember the more sandbox levels were massive in Evolution

The Wii version was awful by comparison, with worse visuals and gameplay.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Man, far cry 1 was such a gorgeous technical reinterpretation of how tropical worlds could be portrayed...
. Yeah FC2= peak

Mutants with rocket launchers and omnipresent AI is all I remember about Far Cry.

CRAIG667

FC1 is still my fave, I loved how cheesey all the dialogue was, utterly brilliant!
It was also absolutely gorgeous to look at back when it first released on PC.
I then played instincts on OG Xbox and couldn't stand how different it felt to play.

FC2 and 3 were awesome though. I then played FC4 for a couple of hours and gave up on the franchise, it just didn't hold my attention at all and felt like a re-skin of 3 without the soul.

Tschumi

Mutants with rocket launchers and omnipresent AI is all I remember about Far Cry.
I just had my mind's eye split open by how real they made what had previously been a game of smoke and mirrors (showing convincing jungles).. they really had a huge 3D space occupied by scores of real 3D trees and genuinely distant settlements, etc... And shapely, stylised mountains, and great water.. seeing things like that on my PC screen was a real rush

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents: Far Cry PlayStation Evolution. This video includes the Evolution of Far Cry Games on PlayStation from PS3 to PS5.

0:06 Far Cry 2 (2008)
0:39 Far Cry 3 (2012)
1:09 Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (2013)
1:33 Far Cry 4 (2014)
1:56 Far Cry: Primal (2016)
2:29 Far Cry 5 (2018)
3:03 Far Cry: New Dawn (2019)
3:26 Far Cry 6 (2021)

Plantoid

Fc2 is good, but fc3 is the best one in the series, sadly, outside of blood dragon, every other mainline far cry game was just a reskinned version, to the Point where in fc5 the game even jokes about having to climb a tower in the beginning, couldn't finish it

GymWolf

Fc2 is good, but fc3 is the best one in the series, sadly, outside of blood dragon, every other mainline far cry game was just a reskinned version, to the Point where in fc5 the game even jokes about having to climb a tower in the beginning, couldn't finish it
Primal was a nice detour, not a great game but it was a bit refreshing compared to the usual FC.

GymWolf

Man, Farcry 2 is such an unbearable chore to play. It's also, somehow, absolutely phenomenal and begs to be played. I cannot explain why such an downer of a game is so enjoyable, but it is.
Fc2 was cool but it didn't striked the right balance between realism and fun.

Still, the most corageous game in the saga by a landslide.

Rickyiez

FC1 is still my favourite among all, great eye opener as an advancement in graphics. The later FCs with open world bloats sucks.

FC1 is still my fave, I loved how cheesey all the dialogue was, utterly brilliant!
It was also absolutely gorgeous to look at back when it first released on PC.
I then played instincts on OG Xbox and couldn't stand how different it felt to play.

FC2 and 3 were awesome though. I then played FC4 for a couple of hours and gave up on the franchise, it just didn't hold my attention at all and felt like a re-skin of 3 without the soul.
4 is definitely like a reskin but a little more refined.

Still, it's the last good (and enjoyable) FC game in years until FC 6, hopefully.

Aesius

Far Cry 1 came out of nowhere in early 2004 and beat HL2 and Doom 3 to the punch for delivering next-gen graphics. I remember cranking it up to 1280x1024 and max settings and playing at about 15 FPS just to get dem sweet, sweet visuals.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With the release of Far Cry 6, we went back to the beginning to chart how Ubisoft's open-world franchise evolved from tech demo to AAA behemoth.

Far Cry had humble beginnings. It started life as a tech demo made by then-unknown developer Crytek and, over time, managed to become one of Ubisoft's tentpole franchises.

In this video we chart the history of the franchise, from the 2004 PC hit that laid the groundwork of the franchise, through to Far Cry 2's divisive malaria mechanic, Far Cry 3's outstanding villain, Far Cry 4's traversal, and the politics of Far Cry 5, coming all the way up to 2021's Far Cry 6. Of course, we spend time discussing the infamous Uwe Boll movie, as well as the iconic villains that helped shape the series to what it's known best for today.

Far Cry 6 launches on PC, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Stadia, and Luna on October 7.

01:14 - Far Cry 1 (2004)
03:23 - Far Cry Instincts (2005)
04:53 - Far Cry Instincts Evolution (2006)
05:28 - Far Cry Instincts Predator (2006)
06:00 - Far Cry Vengeance (2006)
06:49 - Far Cry Movie (2008)
07:44 - Far Cry 2 (2008)
09:36 - Far Cry 3 (2012)
12:11 - Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (2013)
13:37 - Far Cry 4 (2014)
15:33 - Far Cry Primal (2016)
17:17 - Far Cry 5 (2018)
20:03 - Far Cry New Dawn (2019)
20:59 - Far Cry VR: Dive Into Insanity (2021)
21:24 - Far Cry 6 (2021)

Last edited:
4 is definitely like a reskin but a little more refined.

Still, it's the last good (and enjoyable) FC game in years until FC 6, hopefully.

5 is far more enjoyable and 'good'. I didn't beat either but 4 was thoroughly unimpressive coming off of 3. At least 5 has nice set pieces.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Following the release of Far Cry 6 on October 7, we're taking a look back at the earlier entries in the series and letting you know which ones are must-plays and which ones are you-should-probably-still-plays.

TIME STAMPS:
00:00 - Intro
00:33 - Far Cry 5
01:26 - Far Cry Primal
01:59 - Far Cry
02:30 - Far Cry New Dawn
03:00 - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
03:47 - Far Cry 4
04:22 - Far Cry 2
05:03 - Far Cry 3

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Far Cry 6 is the latest in Ubisoft's open-world Far Cry franchise, building on the base-clearing, first-person shooting, and definitions of insanity of the past while simultaneously introducing some smart new ideas that could help pave the way for where Far Cry goes next. For sixteen years now, the Far Cry series has been known for unleashing players in massive, alluring worlds both familiar and unfamiliar across vastly different continents, time periods, and sometimes even apocalypses while giving them total freedom to cause mischief and mayhem. That's mostly been a winning formula, but the Far Cry franchise is as much about being experimental as it is about feeling familiar. So which are the best games? Here are the top 10 Far Cry games ever made.

Top Bottom