• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution of Dragon Ball on PlayStation and Game Boy Advance

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents Dragon Ball PS Evolution PS1 to PS4. This video shows the History of DB games on PS platforms from 1995 to 2020.

0:00 The Game Evolution
0:06 Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 (1995)
0:36 Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu (1996)
1:04 Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout (1997)
1:30 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai (2002)
2:01 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 (2003)
2:27 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (2004)
2:57 Dragon Ball Z: Sagas (2005)
3:24 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi (2005)
3:48 Super Dragon Ball Z (2005)
4:14 Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (2006)
4:43 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (2006)
5:07 Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road (2007)
5:34 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (2007)
6:07 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (2008)
6:28 Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World (2008)
6:55 Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (2009)
7:18 Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (2010)
7:39 Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (2010)
8:02 Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi (2011)
8:32 Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (2014)
9:11 Dragon Ball XenoVerse (2015)
9:37 Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (2016)
9:57 Dragon Ball FighterZ (2018)
10:24 Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (2020)
11:00 The Game Evolution

Thanks mods for the title change

Happy So Excited GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Dragon Ball Final bout was my first game and I really loved it
After that the best times arrived with the budokai and tenkaichi series on PS2 but after that the games were shit both on PS3 and PS4

Troglodyte

Banned
I still have my import copies of Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout. I remember ordering them from some Express website back in the day and needing to get some kind of kit for the PS1 that would allow the disc door to remain open and the spring compressed. You had to put a disc of a game in the console and then when it stopped spinning you took it out and put in your import disc. Anyone else remember this?

Also, anyone remember the game Bid To Power (or Bid for Power), it was an open world DBZ game that was in development back in the day and then the company lost the rights. Looked cool for the time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great show but I never felt the games were AAA they give you fun but man they just don’t do anything for me.

For a second I thought this was a thread about a Dragon Ball Evolution game on PS1.
Edit: and about a remake on PS4.

Last edited:
i remember getting Ultimate Battle 22 & DBZ Legends on PS1 back in the 90s. They weren't great. But Legends was at least different than anything else at the time

Porcile

I remember Final Bout being something of a holy grail back in the day.

Supersonic Warriors on GBA was good, as was Attack of the Saiyans on DS.

kiphalfton

Legacy of Goku II and Buy's Fury are some of my favorite GBA games, and my favorite DBZ games. Was really let down by Origins on Nintendo DS, as I was expecting more of the same, but it ended up just being crap in comparison (mainly because of the awful level design).

Teslerum

The GBA RPG was so cool. Used to spend a lot of time playing that.

PS2 fighting games were damn good as well, especially the story mode.
the legacy of goku games were so much fun, as was tenkaichi 3 on the ps2.

Legacy of Goku 2 and Attack of the Sayians by Monolith on the DS are the best Dragonball rpg's for me. Fun games, fun systems and great pacing. Spent countless hours as a child with LOG2. Attack of the Sayians needs a moment to get into and does only cover the Sayian saga, but its sooo well done (as you'd expect a Monolith RPG to be)

I also have a soft spot for the Card based *rpgs* on snes. But I don't know if they'd actually hold up today.

Kakarot was a personal disappointment for me in comparison, shallow rpg systems an empty wold and while it did a great job recreating scenes from the show it also cut a million details from them. And I'm not talking length padding, but moments like Krilin's first use of Destructo Disc or (a personal low point) when they didn't show the interior of Gero's lab at all, so even the cutscenes were disappointing to me, exactly because they invoked nostalgia, but then didn't deliver by keeping some of my favourites from me.

Why is this channel not bothering with aspect ratios consistently? Everything starts pretty professional looking and BAM... smeared PS2 4:3 to 16:9... 🤢

It's crazy how DBZ has kept getting games regularly until today. I have fond memories of Legacy of Goku 1 & 2 as well as Advanced Adventure (insanely good game). Never played Buu's Fury and GT though.

The Tenkaichi games revolutionzed what DB games could be. They were huge back then.

Top Bottom