• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil West Lead Producer stated that the “Xbox Series S did not limit them and that it is an excellent market product”

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ok, it’s holding the generation back from producing better looking and more complex games then the generation before it. This argument about scaling shit back still means they had to build with that low spec in mind. This is not a hard concept to understand. Why any of you are trying to defend this on any console is mind boggling to me.

The fact that Horizon and Forza, which I consider to be some of the best looking games this gen have games that look too fucking close to their ps4/xbox versions outside resolution and some scaled back effects tells me everything I need to know.

Games were notably different in every generation… but somehow not this one?

“edit” also, honestly I’m less worried about the series S than I am about the ps4/Xbox one holding this gen back.… those are the true culprits.
Until this generation 30fps with slight drops was a respectable framerate. 1080p has been the target resolution for the previous two generations.
4k60 is a massive leap in of itself.

Dev who are saying that Xbox Series X is holding them back is pure BS. They are simply making excuse for a bad port. How come it can limit the developer when every game can run on GTX 970 on mid settings at 1080p, which is 3.5 TFLOPS and Xbox Series S is beyond 4 TFLOPS.

Synless

Until this generation 30fps with slight drops was a respectable framerate. 1080p has been the target resolution for the previous two generations.
4k60 is a massive leap in of itself.
It’s 4K 60fps because they are ports of last gen versions of the games…. This is not an argument for not holding the systems back, this is an expectation I would have of games running on all lower to higher sets of hardware.

Last edited:

poppabk

It’s 4K 60fps because they are ports of last gen versions of the games…. This is not an argument for not holding the systems back, this is an expectation I would have of games running on all lower to higher sets of hardware.
Yeah but the vast majority, at least going by the threads here, don't want to go back to a max 30fps and 1080p base resolution. 4k60 (upscaled from 1440ish) is the new defacto standard

His point is, only Series S version is held back. SS not holding the industry back.

I suspect a patch will get released soon. Atleast to unlock frame rate like GOTG.

deeptech

S is fine for casual fun i guess, but the fact still is that a game that comes on Series S/X and PS5 as multiplat will have to be made with S in mind first.

Zathalus

The other argument people use against the S is that developers are going to need to put more effort in to optimize for it. Surely those same optimizations would then improve the X and PS5 versions would they not?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Still, if devs would want to make game that barely runs 1080p/30 fps on series x, but looks epic, forcing them to also make it run on S could be pain in the ass.

Then they would make some horrible 480p version? So it could limit their artistic options, at least after last gen support is dropped.

People always forget this 100 % fact, that having to build game for multiple systems vs 1 system always takes more resources. Like they have to have time to test 1+n versions, time to optimize it for 1+n versions, support 1+n versions and so on.

Even if "porting for series s" is 5 % of total resource budget, it is still 5 % less to use for the whole game.

Or small teams whom dont have budget to spread for two systems.

So difference vs. 1 system is always over 0.0%, but how much, depends of the case.

Personally I wish that there would not be forced series S version, it is so unpopular system that even used ones barely sell for 100-150€ here. Just give devs options to make X-only version, it is not devs fault or gamers whom want X-only versions
Ok... let's start from the beginning:

1. If a game is 1080p@30fps on XSX and PS5, then they're already their own bottleneck, not the XSS... If anything, the XSS optimizations would benefit the bigger consoles as happened with Matrix demo and...

2. ...A game running like that would be as "decent" as a product for XSX and PS5 owner as it would be the same game running at 480p on XSS for that console owners... say whatever, there are people here calling less than 4K in 2022 a sacrilege to human progress (not because it looks bad, but because of the year... idk more, ask them about it)

3. Yes, 480p would be acceptable for XSS owners if the game is soooo heavy, in which case, let them complain, you'd be already bottleneck by XSX and PS5 anyway, XSS wouldn't have shit to do with that

4. There's no XSS devkit, just XSX which has a "XSS Mode", so devs don't have to do basically any extra work for the XSS, now let's say it takes 20% of the Xbox resources availability for a game to be on XSS... That's around 40% to 60% more sales, so the investment is worth it considering the player base is bigger due to having the cheaper option in the market, more people to sell the game to

5. XSS is not unpopular, maybe where you are, but where I am the thing already penetrated the mainstream and is being seen as a default console to get (I'm in a third world country so that influences a lot)

Just look at that spec sheet…

The Series S is performing at the same level as the old consoles. Arguably, worst because it gets out matched in res by the Xbox one X. It’s not a next gen console, let’s use common sense here lol. It should at least be doing 60 FPS at 1080p.

I know people will say it’s not designed to do more than 1440p but I think that’s dumb that a older system can outperform it. It’s funny that every time someone says something negative about the console someone has to come out and defend it. That’s why Xbox is in 3rd place… people got to stop defending their bone head decisions.

Last edited:

damidu

it is the weakest console of the gen by faaar. (nothing like ps4 vs xbone for example)

people were parroting ms pr of it will be same experience at lower res at start.
though it is already missing graphic modes at cross gen games.

of course it will be a pain for devs.
you are delusional, if you think otherwise

Synless

Yeah but the vast majority, at least going by the threads here, don't want to go back to a max 30fps and 1080p base resolution. 4k60 (upscaled from 1440ish) is the new defacto standard
Thats not the point. None of the games are being built exclusively for those systems, they are ports. Games built around the new consoles, show casing true current gen experiences have not been pushed yet.

Last edited:

Zathalus

The Series S is performing at the same level as the old consoles. Arguably, worst because it gets out matched in res by the Xbox one X. It’s not a next gen console, let’s use common sense here lol. It should at least be doing 60 FPS at 1080p.

I know people will say it’s not designed to do more than 1440p but I think that’s dumb that a older system can outperform it. It’s funny that every time someone says something negative about the console someone has to come out and defend it. That’s why Xbox is in 3rd place… people got to stop defending their bone head decisions.
The PS5 and X also only match the XOX. So your point?

TLZ

Banned
Gaf experts lining up to tell this man he is wrong.
Looking On Line GIF by HULU

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Lmao at people on a gaming enthusiast forum falling for this PR bullshit.

The game is available on the Xbox One and PS4. End of story

Edit: He’s literally lying through his teeth. Blatantly lying. The game is available on PS4 and Xbox One yet the SERIES S version still can’t hit 60fps (not that I give a damn)… lmao

thanks for proving the point of sane people

Last edited:

NickFire

It’s great having a place to debate this stuff. And the debates will have ebbs and flows. Would be cool if we didn’t restart debates just cause someone making a cross gen game comments on the topic specifically limited to new / next / current gen though. It’s silly and non-logical.

Mr Moose

I'm going to blame the devs on this one, look what 1080p/30fps medium and 1080p/60fps epic.
Fg9SsGbXEAIL2_0

XboxOne/OneS: 1080p @ 30fps PS4: 1080p @ 30fps

XSX: 2160p @ 30fps (quality) / 1080p @ 60fps (performance) PS5: 2160p @ 30fps (quality) / 1080p @ 60fps (performance)
PS5 and Series X on par with a 1060/RX 590 pared with a 1600.
Cheap port? Either way, what they are saying here doesn't mean shit since it's on PS4/One.

poppabk

Lmao at people on a gaming enthusiast forum falling for this PR bullshit.

The game is available on the Xbox One and PS4. End of story

Edit: He’s literally lying through his teeth. Blatantly lying. The game is available on PS4 and Xbox One yet the SERIES S version still can’t hit 60fps (not that I give a damn)… lmao

thanks for proving the point of sane people
And yet when the I Am Fish developers (PC minimum spec a GTX960!!) speak out, sanity suddenly goes out the window.
The Series S isn't holding anything back until/if crossgen ends. It's unlikely it will ever hold anything back, just it's gonna have some super shitty switch style ports.

And devs would still have the option of going PS5/PC if they really want to. Or mid to high end PC only if they really don't want to be held back.

Kataploom

Gold Member

I think you're right, they should have put the matrix demo and FS2020 in the One X instead so it would have shown it... right?

CS Lurker

Who would have thought that in 2022 (almost 2023) some people would be OK with games running at 1080p on the almight series x and ps5, just to shit on the series s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom