• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil West Lead Producer stated that the “Xbox Series S did not limit them and that it is an excellent market product”

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

However, a brand new interview from Evil West Lead Producer has some positive things to say about the Xbox Series S. When asked about the Xbox Series S; the Lead Producer stated that the console did not limit them and that the Xbox Series S is an excellent market product.

The Lead Producer was asked about the possibility of the Xbox Series S holding the generation back. He replied,

“NO, WHY WOULD IT? WE’RE NOT FORCED TO MAKE THE SERIES X VERSION LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THE SERIES S, SO WE’RE NOT LIMITED AS DEVELOPERS”.

ace-ventura.gif

Zathalus

Any time these threads come up I always think of the Matrix demo. Likely one of the most demanding things to release this generation (especially since all future Unreal games will be on 5.1) and yet it ran just fine on Series S. Sure at reduced settings and a low resolution, but that is expected is it not?

Klosshufvud

Of course it doesn't. It has identical set-up to Series X in the components that matter and varies in component that scales easily. However, disappointing to see this 1080p30fps on Series S. It is 4K on One X and no chance in hell One X GPU is capable of 4 times the pixel per frame output as Series S. And 1080p 60 fps on Series X? Not sure exactly what makes this game so demanding on current-gen systems. We'll just have to see on the why.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Any time these threads come up I always think of the Matrix demo. Likely one of the most demanding things to release this generation (especially since all future Unreal games will be on 5.1) and yet it ran just fine on Series S. Sure at reduced settings and a low resolution, but that is expected is it not?
Exactly. It's fine. If that can run anything can.

midnightAI

Gaf experts lining up to tell this man he is wrong.

He's not wrong stating that Series S isnt holding back 'their' game, but this is a cross gen game so why would it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those that believes it holds next gen back so much (you can (almost) always dial back settings one way or another), however, you do lose some parity between the two whether that is lower framerate or lower textures, shadows, particles, more aggressive LOD etc. but in this specific case it wouldn't have been an issue at all. One thing that the Series S does do though is create more work for XBox first party developers as they still have multiple specifications to deal with, which, when cross gen goes away, is not something Sony has to deal with (currently) and so they can just target that single spec with no second thought. That doesnt affect third party who are dealing with PC though as they always deal with multiple specifications.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Xbox series S does not limit developers any more than having a PC version that needs to run on a variety of hardware. And nearly anything is on PC nowadays.

The only reason why some developers whine about feeling "Limited" is that they need to optimize and test the game for more configurations. It's not a matter of being limited. It's a matter of having to spend more money and resources to optimize and test so some are trying to lobby against it.

If a game runs on PC without having crazy baseline hardware requirements (and none really does nowadays. People want their games to sell, even more now that the Steam Deck is a thing), it can run on Series S. Period.

I would consider it more believable if nowadays a developer told me they felt limited by having to ensure that their game runs on Steam Deck than on Xbox Series S.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don’t forget the actual developers who said it was holding back next-gen.
I hope yu arent talking about this guy, who didnt work on Gotham Knights but defended its poor performance by blaming the Series S.
The game then came out and well.......lets just say the Series S is most certainly not causing the PS5 or PC version to run like that.
G5rE9JM.png

JonSnowball

The Series S will in no way limit graphical advancements in future titles. Take it from me, a genuine professional videogame scientist development attendant : they'll surely run just fine on the Series S.*

Provided they're running at 540p with ray tracing disabled, 30fps.

feynoob

Banned
My question for these developers.
Aside for memory issues, how does this system hold this gen down?
Especially when your game is inferior to cyberpunk2077 in everyway, and that system can run that game.
Then there is the matrix demo too.

Last edited:

bbeach123

its not limit now ,right now we dont even have a full AAA multiplat next-gen game yet . Even witcher 3 could run on the 4g ram switch .

But Im sure its gonna be at the end of the gen . Where game like rdr2 , horizon, cyberpunk start to appear . The series S would be lucky to even run at fsr performance mode 30fps .

People forget we gonna have cross gen tittle ps5-> ps6 at the end of the gen or what .

Imaging the year 2030 , next gen console have like 32/64g ram . And dev making cross gen tittle scratching their head "how the fuck do I make this game run on a 8G ram console " .

Last edited:

Bojji

Cross gen title...

They want attention or something? They should focus on doing something about this laughable 1080p 60 fps option on next gen consoles... At least use fsr2 to make it look not completely terrible.

leizzra

It's a Producer and it make's a difference on what he actually knows. Maybe if the console would've been terrible to work with (if it was one of the main topics in the studio) then he would've known. But even then he would say it in very diplomatic way. He is telling what he needs to have a good relations with everyone. Also his outlook on the device itself will be much more closer to normal user (he is not a programmer).

Also you must rempember that it's Flying Wild Hog, mostly a PC developer (as many polish devs that are now changing their attitude). Check the specs for visual modes for Evil West on consoles - it tells you what their are capable of.

In the end I don't want to say that other dev are right when they say that XSS is a problem (but I myself belive that it can be). I'm just trying to say - don't trust this one because he's telling you what you want to hear.

Also this is a silly topic.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
My question for these developers.
Aside for memory issues, how does this system hold this gen down?
Especially when your game is inferior to cyberpunk2077 in everyway, and that system can run that game.
Then there is the matrix demo too.
It gives them something to complain about instead of focusing on making games. All of the recent delays are due to developers wasting too much time whining about some useless bullshit. CP is a PC game first so they actually pushed the limits and focused on scalability on that platform. Obviously the last gen console versions suffered, but that is how the XSX should be approached. Keep it in mind but scale it back as needed at the end. This could cause delays because they focus on the X version, fail to meet their deadlines there, and blame the S version even though they knew they had to put some time into optimizing it once they were done.

its not limit now ,right now we dont even have a full AAA multiplat next-gen game yet . Even witcher 3 could run on the 4g ram switch .

But Im sure its gonna be at the end of the gen . Where game like rdr2 , horizon, cyberpunk start to appear . The series S would be lucky to even run at fsr performance mode 30fps .

People forget we gonna have cross gen tittle ps5-> ps6 at the end of the gen or what .

Imaging the year 2030 , next gen console have like 32/64g ram . And dev making cross gen tittle scratching their head "how the fuck do I make this game run on a 8G ram console " .
When that happens, honestly I think devs should just compress the shit out of the textures:

EBuc3m5X4AEVj2q

Even a game like Cyberpunk can be made to run on a 2GB GPU despite that being significantly less than last gen consoles have available:

Also, MS seems to be focusing on esports gamers for the Series S and those tend to run well enough no matter what.

But yes, ultimately I hope that MS drops the Series S requirement and lets developers support only the Series X if they so choose. That won’t be before the next generation is out though.

Synless

Ok, it’s holding the generation back from producing better looking and more complex games then the generation before it. This argument about scaling shit back still means they had to build with that low spec in mind. This is not a hard concept to understand. Why any of you are trying to defend this on any console is mind boggling to me.

The fact that Horizon and Forza, which I consider to be some of the best looking games this gen have games that look too fucking close to their ps4/xbox versions outside resolution and some scaled back effects tells me everything I need to know.

Games were notably different in every generation… but somehow not this one?

“edit” also, honestly I’m less worried about the series S than I am about the ps4/Xbox one holding this gen back.… those are the true culprits.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Who knew that such a little box would cause so much controversy lol
I personally believe that devs will work around things eventually IF they even need to, they've done that time and time again. The Matrix demo also works on it as some already mentionend so I don't buy the whole doom & gloom.

The fact the original devs could not get the demo to run on Ss is somehow a good thing lol, if it takes the devs longer for a game to run, then it’s holding back others and the fact they have no choice wether to dev for it is just the icing on top lol

It really depends of the game. If a game can run on Switch or XB1 than it will easily be ported on XSS. But in all cases XSS is still one more version to develop and maintain.

Soosa

Banned
When that happens, honestly I think devs should just compress the shit out of the textures:

EBuc3m5X4AEVj2q

Even a game like Cyberpunk can be made to run on a 2GB GPU despite that being significantly less than last gen consoles have available:

Also, MS seems to be focusing on esports gamers for the Series S and those tend to run well enough no matter what.

But yes, ultimately I hope that MS drops the Series S requirement and lets developers support only the Series X if they so choose. That won’t be before the next generation is out though.

Still, if devs would want to make game that barely runs 1080p/30 fps on series x, but looks epic, forcing them to also make it run on S could be pain in the ass.

Then they would make some horrible 480p version? So it could limit their artistic options, at least after last gen support is dropped.

People always forget this 100 % fact, that having to build game for multiple systems vs 1 system always takes more resources. Like they have to have time to test 1+n versions, time to optimize it for 1+n versions, support 1+n versions and so on.

Even if "porting for series s" is 5 % of total resource budget, it is still 5 % less to use for the whole game.

Or small teams whom dont have budget to spread for two systems.

So difference vs. 1 system is always over 0.0%, but how much, depends of the case.

Personally I wish that there would not be forced series S version, it is so unpopular system that even used ones barely sell for 100-150€ here. Just give devs options to make X-only version, it is not devs fault or gamers whom want X-only versions

Banned
Don’t forget the actual developers who said it was holding back next-gen.

the developers that either A: only developed low budget indy shit that runs like crap on everything it released.
and B: was a guy defending a game by saying the most retarded shit possible

:)

Chukhopops

They are even more memory constrained than the console they moan about.
But the game is cross-gen on Xbox One? Are you guys that desperate for a win?
So was « I am Fish » and that didn’t stop anyone from using his opinion as fact?

Banned
Still, if devs would want to make game that barely runs 1080p/30 fps on series x, but looks epic, forcing them to also make it run on S could be pain in the ass.

the GPU of the Series S is 33.3% as powerful as the Series X's GPU

so a 1080p 30fps Series X game should run at around 630p 30fps on Series S
add some good reconstruction to that and it will look fine one a 1080p screen.

or you know, they could reduce Shadow, AO and GI quality and instantly save a lot kf performance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom