• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil Dead Rise (Evil Dead 4) coming to HBO Max - Don't get too excited

Pejo

It's the classic 2020s IP revival story:
-Female led
-No returning cast
-New setting
-New director

Almost guaranteed to be shit, but at least Raimi handpicked the director, and he and Campbell are producing it. I really really enjoyed Ash vs. Evil Dead despite thinking it was going to suck, so we'll see. Maybe I'll eat my words.

-Female led
-No returning cast
-New setting
-New director

Almost guaranteed to be shit, but at least Raimi handpicked the director, and he and Campbell are producing it. I really really enjoyed Ash vs. Evil Dead despite thinking it was going to suck, so we'll see. Maybe I'll eat my words.

If it stared (Ash VS Evil spoiler here) Ash's daughter, I'd be cool with that, especially if it had Bruce Campbell in a cameo or small role. I know he said he's done playing the character, though. His daughter was a genuinely likable part of the last season, so I'd be happy with him passing the torch, and coming directly from that show to the new movie would work nicely as a continuation.

Last edited:

Pejo

If it stared (Ash VS Evil spoiler here) Ash's daughter, I'd be cool with that, especially if it had Bruce Campbell in a cameo or small role. I know he said he's done playing the character, though. His daughter was a genuinely likable part of the last season, so I'd be happy with him passing the torch, and coming directly from that show to the new movie would work nicely as a continuation.
I agree 100%. I liked the entire cast of Ash vs. Evil Dead, but this is a whole new story (possibly in another cinematic universe even), so no luck there. The 2 female leads are named in the article in the OP, I've heard of neither of them.

Regardless, Ash IS Evil Dead to me, so without him there even as a mentor or narrator or something, I can't help but feel like it's going to suck.

Prison Mike

Banned

-Female led
-No returning cast
-New setting
-New director

the office GIF

completely forgot about this, thought you were talking about Drag Me to Hell, an awesome movie in it's own right, but unrelated to the franchise. I might take a look. Wait, did you also think the Nightmare on Elm Street remake was great?
Haven't seen it. The 2013 doesn't have any humor like ED2 and AOD, but as a stand alone horror movie I thought it was really effective. Anyone going in to ED2013 expecting Ash is gonna be let down. Go in expecting a creepy as fuck remote cabin in the woods horror flick and I think you'll like it.

Cravis

So they’re taking the Poltergeist 3 route and setting it in a high rise building? Eeeeeehhh, respect at least for changing the setting. Too bad that respect is negated by the unoriginal idea of gender swapping the heroes.

Will see how the trailers look but keeping expectations rock bottom.

xrnzaaas

Haven't seen it. The 2013 doesn't have any humor like ED2 and AOD, but as a stand alone horror movie I thought it was really effective. Anyone going in to ED2013 expecting Ash is gonna be let down. Go in expecting a creepy as fuck remote cabin in the woods horror flick and I think you'll like it.
Exactly, it wasn't the best Evil Dead movie (because of no Bruce and no humor), but it was a really good, bone chilling horror movie. They should've given it a sequel.

Kev Kev

I had a blast in the theaters with this movie. I know some of my hardcore Evil Dead friends didn't like it as much...but I thought it was a great reboot.
it was actually a good movie, but it didnt feel much like evil dead until the last third of the film.

im okay with evil dead 4 having a female lead if campbell is producing. raimi picking the dircetor is a plus as well. we'll see!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Do these fuckers have templates for this shit or something?

Dacon

Banned
No Ash no interest.

All I want is Ash vs Evil Dead season 4. Don't care if it's a videogame or animation, just give me a real conclusion to the main man's story.

Don't give a fuck about anything else.

Pejo

No Ash no interest.

All I want is Ash vs Evil Dead season 4. Don't care if it's a videogame or animation, just give me a real conclusion to the main man's story.

Weren't we supposed to get a Ash vs. Evil Dead VR game? What happened to that?

Pejo

First I've heard of it mate. I only know about that Asymmetrical multiplayer game theyre making like DBD and Friday the 13th.
Well after a bit of googling, it appears it got scaled way back and became an Oculus Go exclusive. Man why does the world suck so bad.

Dacon

Banned
Well after a bit of googling, it appears it got scaled way back and became an Oculus Go exclusive. Man why does the world suck so bad.

Just stop looking forward to things dude, then you cant be disappointed.

But is she black? They gotta go all the way.
She's gotta be black, gay, an activist and have this hair:

DgvBpMnU8AAwrcq.jpg

carlosrox

Banned
I'd only get excited if it was something like the first one or remake, which it never would be, fuck all the comedy entries in the series.

Last edited:
Oh, no. Noooo no no. No. Mediocre? Definitely worth a discussion. Great? Oh Lord no.
If the year was 1994 and we were fresh off the heels of late 80s horror I'd agree. But we're living in the 21 Century of piss earth. What grand collection of horror movies released in the past 10 years stand head and shoulders above it? Just as a stand alone horror, not the 'unfunny Ash-less' Evil Dead reboot?

I'm genuinely curious because I've got nothing left to watch on Shudder.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
In the same way that Uncharted doesn't work without Nathan Drake (as an adult, not a small boy), the Evil Dead doesn't work without Bruce Campbell's Ash. These kinds of IPs succeed because of their strong central characters, not because of the premise.

This will...not do well.

Kev Kev

No Ash no interest.

ash in a post apocalyptic future setting (ala mad max... at least thats what it appeared ot be at the end of season 3) sounds amazing! i cant imagine they wont tap into that one day.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

If the year was 1994 and we were fresh off the heels of late 80s horror I'd agree. But we're living in the 21 Century of piss earth. What grand collection of horror movies released in the past 10 years stand head and shoulders above it? Just as a stand alone horror, not the 'unfunny Ash-less' Evil Dead reboot?

I'm genuinely curious because I've got nothing left to watch on Shudder.
I don't really put movies into a time slice like that, and generally judge movies against the entire spectrum. The remake has huge shoes to fill and didn't cut it. In terms of recent stuff: I'm sure you could get some value out of stuff like Blackcoat's Daughter, Hereditary, Lighthouse, Cloverfield Lane, etc. though?

Top Bottom