• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVGA's PSU Oversight: Unannounced Changes Destroy PCs,

Bernoulli

M2 slut
EVGA PSUs have differing pinouts between units of the same model, but EVGA only replaces the PSU during RMAs and tells the consumer to keep their cables, so you might end up with a PSU that doesn't match the cables you kept

Here's what happened:

Customer sent PSU for RMA to EVGA. EVGA told customer to only send the unit, and keep the cables.

EVGA sends back a replacement PSU of the same model, without any cables. This replacement PSU has a different cable pin-out; if original cables are used, it fries components. EVGA doesn't tell the customer anything.

Customer plugs PSU back in using original cables. It fries their HDDs through the SATA cable.

Customer contacts EVGA support, they admit they messed up, but will only send the new cables and says they have no responsibility for the fried HDDs.

Didn't EVGA announce they weren't dong GPU's anymore? I've always bought mine from them as they've had such great customer service in the few times I had to RMA or do an upgrade. In my experience they've been great, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that standards have shifted and they aren't doing as well as they once were considering the state of the world the last few years.

Last edited:
I Learned about this pin out stuff recently when I bought a Corsair 1200X Shift.
This is my first modular PSU and I now have to keep all my cables in the box it came with so I don't accidentally use something wrong in the future.
Shopping for new cables will be a nail biting experience if and when new GPU power connectors are a thing. I will have to be careful to get the correct cable with the correct pinout.

Kind of dumb situation but I guess standards did not apply when companies come up with new idea's like modular/side ports and such.

Hudo

Wasn't aware that EVGA also produce PSUs. I buy my PSUs from BeQuiet usually and only had good experiences so far.

Soltype

Wasn't aware that EVGA also produce PSUs. I buy my PSUs from BeQuiet usually and only had good experiences so far.
I remember the psus being rated very highly when they started producing them, not sure about now though. I have a thousand watt from them from around 10 years ago, no issues at all

Hudo

not sure about now though
I think they're still pretty good. It's just that they are very "no bells and whistles" or loaded with "hardcore gaming" branding. Which is part of the reason why I ended up going with them. I detest the "gaming branding" that some manufacturers have got going on. Especially Asus and MSI.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Didn't EVGA announce they weren't dong GPU's anymore? I've always bought mine from them as they've had such great customer service in the few times I had to RMA or do an upgrade. In my experience they've been great, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that standards have shifted and they aren't doing as well as they once were considering the state of the world the last few years.
This is about PSUs not GPUs.
Their GPUs and Motherboards are generally very highly regarded in the states.

I remember the psus being rated very highly when they started producing them, not sure about now though. I have a thousand watt from them from around 10 years ago, no issues at all

SuperFlower used to make EVGAs PSUs, I dont know who makes them now, but it aint SuperFlower who are known dogs in the PSU battleground.
Ive got two SuperFlower LeadEx III right now.....never skipped a beat and SF even sent me a free HPWR adapter when the RTX40s came out that only requires two 8pins instead of three.

Ive been meaning to try out their LeadEx VII Pro with universal cables, but their old PSUs are too damn good, cant one of them fail already.

content_11e5e1af-ac7a-480c-aa08-46dacf35185b.jpg

I used to wonder why they never made it in the US, but then I look at their logo and I can just imaging gamers in the west scoffing at them.
superflower.jpg

Soltype

There used to be a website that had PSU reviews, I can't find it now though. They used to rank power supplies by testing them rigorously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom