• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everytime I try to talk about Elden Ring

carlosrox

Banned
What did I just watch and what does it mean.

I don't think Souls fans have any right to feel persecuted.

Try being a fan of RE5, Dead Space 3, Doom 3, Metroid Other M, Bioshock Infinite, etc.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Try being a fan of RE5, Dead Space 3, Doom 3, Metroid Other M, etc.
Yeah, souls game get circle jerked lovings pretty frequently here too. It’s also pretty pretty blatant that several of the mods, including evilore, are pretty big souls fans.

Last edited:
Try being a fan of RE5, Dead Space 3, Doom 3, Metroid Other M, etc.
When Doom 3 released, everyone raved about it. That’s what I remember, at least. Even my friends that were fans of the first games loved it. Then a few years pass, and all of a sudden it’s universally hated. It feels like an episode of the Twilight zone.

I’m sure souls fans will live. Elder Ring looks fine enough. Maybe a little rough around the edges, but it’s not another Halo Infinite reveal. After all, it’s really about the gameplay with this series, isn’t it?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Lol it's everyone when I mention Death Stranding and tlou2 are amazing
Two games I found shockingly disappointing. Stunning technical pieces, and in TLOU2's case, fantastic character control and combat system. Everything else.....

giphy.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member
Damn, that video reminds me of 'Brimley's Breaths', I think it's forever lost now though.

it was a video that someone made of every time Willford Brimley took a breath in his diabetes/Quaker oats commercials. It was so funny.

RIP Wilford.

playXray

When Doom 3 released, everyone raved about it. That’s what I remember, at least. Even my friends that were fans of the first games loved it. Then a few years pass, and all of a sudden it’s universally hated. It feels like an episode of the Twilight zone.

I’m sure souls fans will live. Elder Ring looks fine enough. Maybe a little rough around the edges, but it’s not another Halo Infinite reveal. After all, it’s really about the gameplay with this series, isn’t it?
Shit man, I remember this so differently. All I remember about Doom 3 at the time is people being pissed off that you had to turn your light off to fire a bullet, and that Half-Life 2 was much better (which it is).

I actually love Doom 3, but it was well short of universally acclaimed at the time (at least in my experience).

carlosrox

Banned
Half-Life 2 was much better

Half-Life 2 has more flaws and is more of a step down from what came before than Doom 3 was.

HL2 is loaded with major flaws that people ignore cuz....reasons?

I still love HL2 but man coming off the first game it was such a disappointment. 1 is better than 2 in almost every single way.

I've been replaying HL2 recently in 4k on my new(ish) comp and while I can appreciate what it does, the flaws always rear their head and piss me off.

I think HL2 is deserving of a remake. They should fully realize the game they wanted to make, fix the wonky feeling character control, improve the feel of the guns, fix level design, add some more music (some tracks were just sloppily lifted from 1 and not even used all that well), add more enemies, etc.

Doom 3 succeeds at what it was trying to achieve and hasn't aged a day. The visuals and sound are still jaw dropping. HL2 still looks and sounds pretty good but it's just not at Doom 3's level. The art and sound design are second to none. My one gripe with the sound of Doom 3 is that admittedly the guns sound kinda weak. Other than that it's perfect.

Every single time I replay Doom 3 I notice new sounds. Honestly the best soundscape in all of gaming. Every inch of that game has great sound. It's the gift that keeps giving.

Both games could use a remake actually.

Last edited:

playXray

Half-Life 2 has more flaws and is more of a step down from what came before than Doom 3 was.

HL2 is loaded with major flaws that people ignore cuz....reasons?

I still love HL2 but man coming off the first game it was such a disappointment. 1 is better than 2 in almost every single way.
This must be a new thing. Literally every single PC gamer I knew back in 2004 thought Half-Life 2 was one of the greatest games of all time. It blew its predecessor and Doom 3 out of the water. If there are flaws, it’s not that people “ignore” them, it’s simply that the game is so good people don’t even notice them.

tommib

Try being a fan of RE5, Dead Space 3, Doom 3, Metroid Other M, Bioshock Infinite, etc.
You lost me at Dead Space 3. The rest, all masterpieces. 🙏

carlosrox

Banned
This must be a new thing. Literally every single PC gamer I knew back in 2004 thought Half-Life 2 was one of the greatest games of all time. It blew its predecessor and Doom 3 out of the water. If there are flaws, it’s not that people “ignore” them, it’s simply that the game is so good people don’t even notice them.

I love HL2 but it's pretty overrated. Posts like yours are the perfect example of why. I can accept people saying it's a great game but blowing the already near perfect 1 out of the water? Nahhhhhh. HL2 was a major step down. In basically every way aside from graphics and probably story, HL1 outclasses HL2 easily.

No one knows HL2's flaws better than me. Nobody was looking forward to HL2 more than me. Nobody wanted to love HL2 more than me.

I am the authority on the matter.

Last edited:

playXray

I love HL2 but it's pretty overrated. Posts like yours are the perfect example of why. I can accept people saying it's a great game but blowing the already near perfect 1 out of the water? Nahhhhhh. HL2 was a major step down. In basically every way aside from graphics and probably story, HL1 outclasses HL2 easily.

No one knows HL2's flaws better than me. Nobody was looking forward to HL2 more than me. Nobody wanted to love HL2 more than me.

I am the authority on the matter.
Perhaps you built it up too much in your head, so were only ever going to be disappointed. The overwhelming majority of PC gamers as well as the gaming press consider Half-Life 2 to be a masterpiece. If you think differently that’s fine, but that doesn’t mean that everyone else in the world is wrong.

Top Bottom