• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything that is wrong with BOTW in one simple picture.

Dampf

hkw013b0g4xz.png

Sure, it is heavily exaggerated, but not wrong.

-The world is huge, yet it feels like you get a korok seed or a shrine most of the time as a reward which is repetitive, uncreative and makes exploration significantly less fun (atleast for me). It doesn't help that the shrines all have the same design. Seriously, you can count the exceptions of substantial rewards with one hand which is just sad for an exploration driven game.

- the bosses all look the same too which is correct.

-the story is not terrible, but it's not great either. Most of it already happened so it doesn't connect to you, the player, directly and you can't interact with it in any way other than watching little movies. The story in the present is, aside from the Zora and Gerudo one maybe, very lackluster and boring. There are no plot twists and the whole story is presented to you from the old man after you beat the Great Plateu.

- lacking enemy variety is true as well.

- the dungeons and shrines feel indeed, very similar to each other. Be it Divine Beasts or Shrines, sadly.

I think these are all valid critic points against BOTW and I seriously hope BOTW2 will fix all of them. BOTW is a great game, but it has many flaws that can be dramatically improved upon.

Last edited:

Skifi28

After getting a switch, I wanted to get it and see what all the fuss was about. Seeing some reviews from after launch period with many of these points mentioned, I decided against it. I'd like to say I'm getting it on a sale, but lol Nintendo.

Last edited:
After getting a switch, I wanted to get it and see what all the fuss was about. Seeing some reviews from after launch period with many of these points mentioned, I decided against it. I'd like to say I'm getting it on a sale, but lol Nintendo.
A nintendo game going on sale, would be a reduction from $60 to $59.99. But the on sale version will now require a $20 DLC, which was included in the base $60 version.

You guys are on crack, one of the best games ever made, the combat and exploration is just out of this world, perfect balance between action and rpg elements. Only thing it did not have is the beautifully crafted dungeons of previous zelda games, but i understand why it was not possible as the would have taken 10 years to make, maybe nintendo needs 2 teams 1 making dungeon based zelda games the other making open world zelda games.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me it's a case kinda like Dragon's Dogma: a flawed gem, but fun and pretty comfy to play and get lost in.

Let's hope the sequel adresses some of the problems of the first one.

Zog

Banned
I never understood the hype. I bought it on the Wii U and didn't like it but I tried it again on the Switch. I just don't get it. I like to call it The Elder Scrolls: Zelda Edition and that's not a compliment.

Let's hope the sequel adresses some of the problems of the first one.
Like not really being a Zelda game?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Like not really being a Zelda game?
I found it to be somewhat inspired by the first Zelda, with all the freeroaming and exploration. They just need to give it a bit more sense beyond finding korok seeds.

I don't mind change.

Zog

Banned
I found it to be somewhat inspired by the first Zelda, with all the freeroaming and exploration. They just need to give it a bit more sense beyond finding korok seeds.

I don't mind change.
Wait until Mario Kart becomes a survival horror game or even better, a point and click puzzle adventure game.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I had a lot of fun with what it was, but the open world is filled with tons of nothing. At least with gta 5 shit you have a vibrant world to explore with familiar locale. Breath of the wild is just barren wasteland with a smattering of familiar enemies, that is ultimately my biggest problem with it.

Banned
there literally is no "super powerful flame sword you find at the end of teh world" and they don't break after 20 hits.

every type of weapon you find in the game is easy to replace and find again if you really want to use a specific weapon. there are no super powerful swords, there are rare weapons that you should use only for hard enemies and there are more common ones that you use for less dangerous enemies.
it's literally like ammo in a shooter... why does noone criticize Halo for not giving you unlimited Rocket launcher ammo? or shotgun ammo? BECAUSE IT WOULD BE STUPID BEYOND BELIEVE. this is the exact same mechanic simply transferd overe to melee weapons.
near the end of my playthrough I literally had my whole inventory full of super strong swords and spears, they are handed out in abundance

Last edited:

OnionSnake

Banned
Game is brilliant, but the weapon degradation system is annoying and the enemy variety as well. Believe they left out a few types though. And yeah framerate is bad, hoping thats patched up for 2.

UnNamed

Banned
BotW is a good game but it relies on some very outdated elements, such as the combat system, the dungeons, the setting/world.
With BotW Nintendo tried, not so hard, to implement some new good ideas, for example the physics, the climbing, the total freedom to go to the final boss immediately, the broken weapons, but it is still too much Zelda to propose new ideas.

Zog

Banned
there literally is no "super powerful flame sword you find at the end of teh world" and they don't break after 20 hits.

every type of weapon you find in the game is easy to replace and find again if you really want to use a specific weapon. there are no super powerful swords, there are rare weapons that you should use only for hard enemies and there are more common ones that you use for less dangerous enemies.
it's literally like ammo in a shooter... why does noone criticize Halo for not giving you unlimited Rocket launcher ammo? or shotgun ammo? BECAUSE IT WOULD BE STUPID BEYOND BELIEVE. this is the exact same mechanic simply transferd overe to melee weapons.
No one expects Halo to be a Zelda game.

Last edited:

Ceelic21

Neo Member
Agreed.

I got a switch recently bundled with this game and at first I was in awe of how massive the map was. I remember standing on top of Mt Hylia and looking around and was like holy shit, this looks fucking amazing.

Well a few areas explored later, that feeling was definitely no more. Sure, it was a really relaxing game in some ways and was great for unwinding but the lack of any memorable locations aside from the towns killed any interest in me. I may go back when BOTW2 has a release date but I hope they improve on the exploration and story aspect more. I hated climbing all the way up a mountain or gliding off to some distant spot on the map only to find nothing of interest. This game is definitely not a 10/10.

Meanwhile, I'm currently in the middle of Xenoblade DE and that game is definitely the SHIT. Hopefully the 2nd game is more of the same.

Last edited:

Banned
No one expects Halo to be a Zelda game.

why do you expect Zelda to have a certain type of weapon mechanic? even the most basic weapons in the game are as strong as your normal sword in most other Zelda games. meaning the game gives you what you always had at every corner of the map, but in addition you get special more powerful weapons a little bit more rarely. if Inventory management, very little inventory management at that, is too much... then I can't help you.

the game shits weapons in your general direction at every chance it gets

Had some cool gameplay systems and an interesting take on the lore/story.

But I got burnt out before I even reached the first boss. Tends to happen in open world games. I just get too distracted by side activities or exploration, I barely make any progress in the main quest line/story.

This was the single reason I got a switch and it was a huge letdown for me. Didn’t feel like Zelda at all. And the weapons breaking just ruined the entire experience. I’m glad a lot of others enjoyed it though. Wish I had.

PhaseJump

Banned
Poor inventory management and the constantly breaking weapons forcing me into a disarmed crisis is what ruined it for me. The game makes trash mobs a threat by breaking your ability to hack and slash, even with the Master Sword.

The open world is empty, the dungeons are all the same tiny puzzles with no reward any better than breakable weapons, usable items, or rupees that have no real economic value in most Zelda games anyway. The major dungeons are a handful of similar looking areas with boss fights that do nothing new.

TintoConCasera

Wait until Mario Kart becomes a survival horror game or even better, a point and click puzzle adventure game.
Wouldn't be the first time tho.

zip_mariomiss_617907d5ed1f4aedbed04da0a6103203.png

Nah but seriously, I think a little bit of experimentation is nice, specially when the series has been the same for 35 years.

Kev Kev

my personal goat

i went in expecting a fun zelda game. really didnt follow it much other than watching the trailers several times. ive only ever beat ocarina and wind waker, but ive beat both of them several times and they are a couple of my favorites of all time (especially ocarina), and played a couple of the others but never beat them. so im not even a zelda fanboy. never owned a wii u or a switch (used my room mates for breath of the wild) so im not a nintendo fanboy either.

its just that it is that fucking good. its taken eveything that video games have done over the last 30 years, and packed into one amazing, epic adventure. ive never felt more like i was going on an adventure every time i fired a game up than when i played breath of the wild. i put probably 150+ hours into it and loved every minute.

its solid, fun, huge, full of life, lets you play however you want and the weapons breaking was never, ever a problem for me. not sure why people had such a hard time with that mechanic, i had plenty of weapons and... well, sucks to be them i guess. it has flaws, like the dungeons and temples being kind of meh, but everything it does well, it does extremely well. cant overstate how much i loved the experience of that video game.

10/10, best game of all time, hands down, no contest

Zog

Banned
I see the Zelda cycle is still in full effect I see.
Every new game since Wind Waker has been treated the same. I doubt this will be any different.
No pretty sure this Zelda game has been universally praised from even before it released.

martino

most open world doesn't have so much more ...and it's more about the how than the many
this game is clearly intented to be an open world at its heart unlike most other games where you feel it's one re mark to check with other trending mecamics to have for the PR.

I don't know, all the Zelda games before it. I know it's crazy but I also expect Mario to be able to jump in every Mario game.
who care if you change deeply the formula....
also does kratos get a pass ?

Zog

Banned
also does kratos get a pass ?
I don't know anything about Kratos.

Then I came across BotW and it blew me away. Masterpiece.
Cures cancer too, so I hear.

Testimonial: I was feeling depressed and alone. My love affair with Nintendo was gone and I was contemplating buying a gaming PC but then I played BOTW and I was revitalized. Even my prostate cancer was gone! Thanks Nintendo.

Last edited:

martino

I don't know anything about Kratos.
he lost ability to jump in the last game

also it seems that other example adds to botw one to show suprising player with changes seems to lead to more critical rewier and public success than the reverse

Last edited:
Top Bottom