• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything Sony does to make PS5 more popular benefits me as a PlayStation consumer

GHG

Gold Member
4. Sony gets away with anti consumerism, and people love it.
5. When Sony kills off Microsoft and Nintendo runs their own weird show, they have monopoly and can give us even worse anti consumer practice. Yay.

Monopoly is never a good thing. Competition pushes the industry, and sadly, Sony hasn't had any competition this entire generation.

In what fucking world do Sony kill of Nintendo?

Nintendo will do their own thing until the end of time because they have done the right thing and carved out their own niche in the space. They add their own value instead of constantly trying to replicate what the competition do and one up them.

Microsoft can learn a lot from them, and do you know what I think it's slowly dawning on them to get their arse in gear and differentiate themselves in a meaningful way even though their marketing and pr teams still insist on Behaving like bone headed neanderthals.

Sony do what they believe is best for their customers and try to take care of them as best as possible. They also do what they can to make their platform the only option for people looking to play certain games. None of this is a secret, they do all of this to make money. If you want to call it "Anti-consumer" then so be it, but they are pretty transparent about it.

I'll take that over faux nice guy who pretends to be nice to you, pretends to be your best friend but will ultimately fuck you over when you're not looking and least expect it.

Pick your poison.

Vaelka

I don't think that labelling yourself a '' Sony consumer '' is a very healthy thing, it sorta reeks of blind and extreme fanboy:ism.
I only play on PC ( I want a Switch tho ), but I don't consider myself a '' PC consumer '' or go on about how the PC is superior unironically. I only do it to make fun of the console war sometimes.
And if you don't think that Sony would become complacent then you're wrong, we've seen it so many countless times before a company becoming too large is always a bad thing.
Nothing lasts forever either, just because Sony is doing one thing right now and you might like it doesn't mean that they'll keep doing it a couple of years from now. Especially not if they gain more of a monopoly.
Do you want to have shitty options when that happens?
The truth is that a more equalized playing field and more choice benefits everyone including you.

In regards to the Spiderman exclusive too.
This doesn't benefit you as a player at all, because what happens is that because these characters are exclusives they can't be written into the story.
We don't know this for a fact but it's very likely that Spiderman was cut out of the story because he's going to be an exclusive character and it wouldn't make sense to have him there since he won't be on PC or the Xbox.
So the end result is that PC and Xbox doesn't get the character which means less enjoyment for people who play on other platforms which I don't see why you'd think that's a good thing unless you're just a childish jerk.
And people on all platforms lose out on THE fan favorite being a part of the story of the game.
There are countless of examples like this I could think of, they do impact the actual game negatively for everyone including those who get the exclusive content.

It truly baffles me why people defend this and bend over backwards for Sony like this.
They don't care about you and in the long run these practices hurts everyone, if anything you should probably just be grateful that Microsoft isn't using their resources to severely screw Sony over. Because they absolutely could if they wanted to, Microsoft is astronomically larger than Sony.
The Xbox and PS just have different strategies going forward, hardware sales are less important and Microsoft wants to create an echo system between the Xbox and PC while Sony focuses more on their narrative-driven cinematic first party exclusives ( which believe it or not, don't appeal to everyone ).
If Microsoft had the same Strategy as Sony and wanted to act on it there's in reality very little Sony could do about it.

I mean lol, they could easily just buy the Spiderman license and barely feel it in their wallets.
I don't think that's the kind of business practices you want to normalize, especially not as a PS player.

I always get all consoles, price is not a factor, I just prefer that extra mile Sony put in. Stuff like this you just dont get elsewhere.

You get it from movies.

Sony do what they believe is best for their customers and try to take care of them as best as possible.

Sony does what they believe is best for Sony lol.
Even in the case of Microsoft who has the most generous offer I think that has ever existed in the gaming industry ever with their Game Pass, there is obviously an end goal to it and ultimately it's just Microsoft doing what they believe is best for Microsoft too.
They're a business, not a charity.

Last edited:

anothertech

All the "most powerful console" posts lol.

A console is only as strong as it's weakest link. And that's the Xbone for MS.

Eanox

Sony paying to keep otherwise Multiplatform games off other consoles is anti consumer. You have to be so deep in the fanboy mindset to argue it isn’t.

also lol at you thinking the RROD is anti consumer lol. Shows where your mind is at.
It’s very clear you don’t know what consumer even means and what are anti-consumer and which are not.

So if you buy xbox? Which consumer you will fall in to? What company is responsible for you to enjoy xbox? Don’t ignore this and answer me.

There’s no anti-consumer when a platform holder wants to give you incentive to buy their platform. You have the option to buy it or not.

As a consumer I want you to give me reason to buy your product. If PS5 will have all the gams I want I will buy it vice versa for MS.

Please, RROD fiasco was anti consumer for MS they release a half bake product in order to beat Sony and only admitted fault when it becomes a widespread thing. They know the problem exist and should have been tested more. Imagined the people that wasn’t covered by the warranty that was forced to buy a new one.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s very clear you don’t know what consumer even means and what are anti-consumer and which are not.

So if you buy xbox? Which consumer you will fall in to? What company is responsible for you to enjoy xbox? Don’t ignore this and answer me.

There’s no anti-consumer when a platform holder wants to give you incentive to buy their platform. You have the option to buy it or not.

As a consumer I want you to give me reason to buy your product. If PS5 will have all the gams I want I will buy it vice versa for MS.

Please, RROD fiasco was anti consumer for MS they release a half bake product in order to beat Sony and only admitted fault when it becomes a widespread thing. They know the problem exist and should have been tested more. Imagined the people that wasn’t covered by the warranty that was forced to buy a new one.
A company paying to take a product away from consumers is anti-consumer. The fact that you don't understand this says all that needs to be said.

You also clearly don't understand what was wrong with the RROD if you think it was anti-consumer. It was one of the first consumer products in the world that used the new lead-free solder, and that lead-free solder turned out to not be strong enough for gaming consoles. The YLOD was the exact same thing. It wasn't an anti-consumer problem lol. In fact their handling of the RROD was pro-consumer, offering extended warranties and free replacements.

Virex

Banned
ydvH2t5.jpg

Eanox

A company paying to take a product away from consumers is anti-consumer. The fact that you don't understand this says all that needs to be said.

You also clearly don't understand what was wrong with the RROD if you think it was anti-consumer. It was one of the first consumer products in the world that used the new lead-free solder, and that lead-free solder turned out to not be strong enough for gaming consoles. The YLOD was the exact same thing. It wasn't an anti-consumer problem lol. In fact their handling of the RROD was pro-consumer, offering extended warranties and free replacements.

A product taken away from consumer? Do you or they own the Xbox series x already? Even If you have the xbox x. You never purchase the game so how can it be an anti-consumer when you never had it the first place? What was taken from you? It’s like going to a fast food chain that has exclusive pepsi products and expecting to buy coke from it and crying it’s very anti-consumer that you cannot purchase coke.

I will ask you again. If you buy an Xbox which consumer you fall into?

If sony is investing to have an exclusive game on their platform that is not anti-consumer they are giving you an incentive to buy their platform.

You already ignored my question. I think I won’t be able to engage a good discussion with you.
You already ignored my question. I think I won’t be able to engage a good discussion with you.

Xbox 360 has more than 50% failure rate. How can you released a product that has a high failure rate and not knowing It. It was a decision to best Sony at the expense of the consumer experience.
pro consumer for doing warrant? It should never happened it the first place. There was no pro consumer on the RROd situation.
They are facing multiple lawsuit and they were force to do it because doing the warranty is the cheapest way.

and don’t put words in my mouth. Sony was also anti-consumer for removing linux. That’s a true anti-consumer thing.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was wondering when the fanboys would really start to come out for the next gen launch. I was starting to get a little sad... thanks!

Azurro

Banned
What has 343 has anything to do with it? But to answer your "in the topic" question. They were probably building the engine :messenger_winking:
Again. If you think, PS vs. Xbox+PC+Stadia will have 70% share, you are just plain fanboy with rose tinted glasses.

Stadia is a rounding error, come on.

Anti consumer by definition is putting the interests of the business over the interests of the consumer. What you just said is anti consumer.

No, it’s not ok lol. I never said it is. It’s anti consumer too.
And Sony is putting the interest of their consumer base above their business. They're adding value for their customer. This is what an engaging business does.

If you are a Playstation customer, its the complete opposite of anti consumer, its extremely pro consumer.

They both do this, so what's the problem?

The Alien

Banned
This thread is one of the biggest WTFs in a while. It really makes me hope that:
  1. Microsoft secure the WB acquisition
  2. Makes Batman, LOTR, Mortal Kombat all exclusive.
  3. Watch people react to it on GAF while I recall this thread excusing that same practice while calling it consumer friendly.

Last edited:
ITT: Sony fanboys that don’t understand what anti-consumer actually means.

First of all, not being able to play a comic book character in a video game on your platform of choice is not anti-consumer.

Second, why is Sony being blamed for this? Disney chose to license SM exclusively.

Third, instead of complaining about what Sony is doing to take care of their customers, complain about MS not doing shit for their customers. We've all heard on this forum plenty of times how MS has this unlimited pile of money yet choose nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

ksdixon

... and wanted to play a game on the most powerful system 🤔

I'm so sick of hearing that tag line. All that "power" to play Grounded and Halo Infinite that looks like it is outclassed by Halo 3.

What even is "powerful"? Is it loading time improvements that are supposed to change the way levels and games are designed? Custom technological advancements that sound paradigm-shifting, and are supposed to inform AMD's future developments on the PC side? Is it marketshare/playerbase/mindshare/sales-through to customers at a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1, whatever the embarrassing number was? Is it literally taking the marketing rights for formerly Xbox-associated properties like COD and the team behind Destiny/Halo?

Xbox being the more powerful console... My arse.

Last edited:
This thread is one of the biggest WTFs in a while. It really makes me hope that:
  3. Watch people react to it on GAF while I recall this thread excusing that same practice while calling it consumer friendly.

Would this be different to them having games like Hellblade II when the first wasn't exclusive? I haven't seen many meltdowns over that. Like, I've seen way more over the fact that one character in a crappy looking game is exclusive.

ksdixon

I'm definitely buying a PS5 but I fail to see how them paying out hundreds of millions for timed exclusives helps me. As far as I can see, it's the worst possible use of that money, from my point of view.

I'd much rather they hadn't closed down good studios like Evolution and Guerrilla Cambridge. I'd much rather they buy new studios like Ready at Dawn or the WB developers. I'd much rather they expand their existing studios, or open brand new ones.

Exclusives are great because they let developers harness the unique power of the PS5, and the PS4 before it. That won't be the case with these timed exclusives because developers will know they have to be ported to the Xbox soon after.

Timed exclusives are a zero sum game: Sony win by making Xbox lose.

It's shit.

This I actually agree with, in principle. But I'd that's not a possibility lime with Chinese Disney (Tencent) over there on oneside, and whatever that large Jap conglomerate is that owns FROM, not to mention other players like THQ Nordic trying to gobble-up IP as well, then I suppose it's a good use of the money, right?

Hunnybun

This I actually agree with, in principle. But I'd that's not a possibility lime with Chinese Disney (Tencent) over there on oneside, and whatever that large Jap conglomerate is that owns FROM, not to mention other players like THQ Nordic trying to gobble-up IP as well, then I suppose it's a good use of the money, right?

I'm sure from their POV it's a good use of the money.

But I don't really buy that they're out of options - why aren't they in for the WB studios? Why not Ready at Dawn? Why can't they open new ones of their own? They clearly feel they need more exclusives, well fine - have more first party studios.

I'm really only saying that there's no benefit to the consumer, and I don't think there is.

Monopoly is never a good thing. Competition pushes the industry said:
And look at what don't have given us all while having no competition this gen ... If that's what a monopoly looks like it ain't half bad imho .

The Alien

Banned
Would this be different to them having games like Hellblade II when the first wasn't exclusive? I haven't seen many meltdowns over that. Like, I've seen way more over the fact that one character in a crappy looking game is exclusive.
Yes. MS ownS Ninja Theory now and paid for development of Hellblade 2. Not the case for Hellblade 1.

I wouldn't expect Insomniac's next game to be a multi-plat.

Having large AAA mult-plats from a 3rd party dev on titles like COD or GTA is the issue.

Hellblade was a much more niche title than Batman or the LOTR series. And I don't think people care that much about the exclusivity of a character in a crappy game. It is more the fact that the practice is praised on one platform and chastized on the other.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

The WB deal doesn't include batman license.

Blond

Banned
Sony is bringing out all the stops this cycle.

It's only going to get harder and harder not to choose them as your primary console this generation

Yep. The PS3 is definitely still fresh in their minds and they don't want a repeat of that at all.

Well, sure that works if you are a huge PlayStation fanboy and don't care about them spending money on timed exclusives or your fellow gamers Series Xses not getting game.

But what if you had both consoles and wanted to play a game on the most powerful system 🤔

Or if I don't want a repeat again of 2 years of games then a cycle of Gears/Forza/Halo multiplayer focused stuff that I'm just not interested in. When I owned a 360 I kept looking at all the awesome single player experiences the PS3 was getting and the year Microsofts big game was Halo ODLC vs Uncharted 2 I sold everything and bought a PS3 and just didn't look back. I bought an X1 at launch for Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive but it collected dust.

The reality is that Microsoft has an audience that claims to want single player games but doesn't buy them and you know it's true because the first projects from Ninja Theory and Obidian are GaaS

Last edited:
Can we just stop with the Anti-Consumer rhetoric? It's simply the costume that certain groups of people put on to cry about the fact that they're not getting access to content on their desired platform. This shit should be low-key ban worthy because it's the equivalent of port begging. Here's some truth facts for the anti consumer crowd, you're not entitled to anything.

The crux of this absolutely ridiculous argument stems from some false sense of entitlement. This applies to all platforms. This notion that you should get to play everything on your platform of choice is completely idiotic and has no bearing in the real world. If you want to play something, you go to the platform that offers that content. Its called business and you just need to deal with it.

This idea that companies are being anti consumer by providing exclusive content for their user base is downright laughable. It only exists in the mind of those who are unable to think outside the scope of themselves.

Ok so now you’re resorting to the ridiculous. I’m out.

one last question though - do you believe that there is no such thing as anti consumer behaviour?

Anti consumer behavior would be something which impacts all consumers equally irrespective of whose product they are buying. Credit card companies get exclusive deals with other businesses for special discounts etc. That is not anti consumer as well. Consumers have the choice to use their credit card and get the special deals.

Anti consumer behavior can also be something like a company not allowing consumers to get their product repaired by any repair center but forcing them to get it repaired for a steeper cost at the company's tech. support only. Something like what Apple used to do or probably is still doing.

Mmnow

The crux of this absolutely ridiculous argument stems from some false sense of entitlement.
Let's talk the very real possibility that this game could have run better on Xbox Series X and certainly on PC, but now that won't matter because you'll have to play the "bad version" or wait on the chance of a port.

Because nothing more screams ridiculous sense of entitlement than paying for the weakest version of a game to be the only version of a game.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Who are you fooling? You were already hoping for this. But now you need it to happen.

teezzy

Banned
It's not about why Sony should care.

Good grief.. this forum lol

You all just need a basic lesson on monopolies and how they work out for consumers in the long run. The Sony we see today exists because of healthy competition, you remove that and things change. Will they stop producing software for profit? Of course not.. but anything they would be driven to do to compete in a market becomes lessened.. their decisions about hardware, the services they offer, and things like niche games they make to differentiate themselves change and they can just focus on maximizing profit as consumers have no other choice.

So yes, companies making money can be good for consumers.. so can healthy competition. Nobody in their right mind is demanding SONY care.. but gamers should care.

They should want companies to compete by producing better products to vie for our dollars.. not "YAY THIS COMPANY JUST PAID TO MAKE THE OTHER PRODUCT WORSE... YAY!! GO COMPANY!"

(in before "Microsoft does it too!" of course they do, these anti-competitive practices suck all around, doesn't matter who does it)

tenor.gif

I love Sony as a company. They're my go to for electronics in multiple fields: headphones, cameras, televisions, etc.

They've always been like this though: super proprietary and very Apple like in their practices. Remember the mini disc player? Remember vita and those weird proprietary memory cards? What's good for the goose isnt always good for the gander. I get it, its exciting to see your fun toy box promise you exclusives, etc but these business practices are damaging to the industry overall.

No matter how badly i want to play a third party title like FF16, I refuse for some company to force my hand into buying a lesser product when I already have a PC, etc.

Want first party, second party exclusives? Fine. But this is as bad as Epic Games Store crap on PC. Its dumb and people eat it like sugary cereal.

DaGwaphics

Like I said, is far from monopoly because every other console maker has the resources to compete against Sony, the choose no to. MS has all the money power to buy many AAA exclusivities, then choose not to because their planification and management. its called a Monopoly when the competitors to top business are not able to invest because those are short of resources which must be verified and validated by a proper government department.

In the truest legal sense, maybe. But, if Sony does drive MS from the market, I don't see how that is a good thing for Sony players. It is most certainly not for devs, all the free money they've been getting for exclusive marketing deals etc. evaporates in the blink of an eye. Also, if the only real option to sell a "console" game is Sony, they can do whatever they want to developers (see Nintendo in the 80s). What would the rabid fanboys even do with their time, no one left to argue with.

With that said, I absolutely agree that Sony doesn't owe anything to Xbox players. They will make the moves that are best for them, nothing wrong with that as a business stance. Same with MS.

As an Xbox player, I can say I wouldn't be happy if the hypothetical situation was reversed and MS drove Sony out of the market, the gaming world would lose a lot in the end.

Because nothing more screams ridiculous sense of entitlement than paying for the weakest version of a game to be the only version of a game.

You can always wait until those games c

People should care more about playing the actual game than anything else.

Banned
The hilarious thing is how plainly obvious the brainwashing of marketing works on consumers, particularly gamers.

You see yourselves as part of the brand.. you are Sony.. that's why you go to defend them so much. "Why should Sony care!" Why are you thinking/talking/acting on behalf of a faceless corporation who doesn't give 2 shits about you?

This shit is mind numbing.

it is sad yes. fanboys are the cancer of gaming, or any competitive market really, and this is why.

Let's talk the very real possibility that this game could have run better on Xbox Series X and certainly on PC, but now that won't matter because you'll have to play the "bad version" or wait on the chance of a port.

You're not entitled to play that game on your platform of choice. The sooner this sinks into your mind, the better. You whole post boils down to this...."I want to play the game on another platform because xyz". Well guess what? You're not entitled to do so. If you don't like it, don't buy the damn game. I honestly don't know what is wrong with some of you. On here whining about games like its the only thing of value in your lives. If you can't play a game because its not on your platform of choice, move on. Its not the end of the world.

Mmnow

You're not entitled to play that game on your platform of choice. The sooner this sinks into your mind, the better. You whole post boils down to this...."I want to play the game on another platform because xyz". Well guess what? You're not entitled to do so. If you don't like it, don't buy the damn game. I honestly don't know what is wrong with some of you. On here whining about games like its the only thing of value in your lives. If you can't play a game because its not on your platform of choice, move on. Its not the end of the world.
No need to write around it, pal. I'm not saying Sony can't do it, I'm saying blocking superior versions of the game is probably quite clever, if a bit underhanded.

It's also pretty damn entitled. "Our console is the weakest, so we'll pay for there not to be any comparisons."

Don't you think?

Thirty7ven

Banned
I love Sony as a company. They're my go to for electronics in multiple fields: headphones, cameras, televisions, etc.

They've always been like this though: super proprietary and very Apple like in their practices. Remember the mini disc player? Remember vita and those weird proprietary memory cards? What's good for the goose isnt always good for the gander. I get it, its exciting to see your fun toy box promise you exclusives, etc but these business practices are damaging to the industry overall.

No matter how badly i want to play a third party title like FF16, I refuse for some company to force my hand into buying a lesser product when I already have a PC, etc.

Want first party, second party exclusives? Fine. But this is as bad as Epic Games Store crap on PC. Its dumb and people eat it like sugary cereal.

I always find it funny when people spend a ton of words to dance around what they actually want to say. In this case your postering is as surprising as the rest of the pack.

“I don’t want to buy a PlayStation” is literally all there is to it.

teezzy

Banned
it is sad yes. fanboys are the cancer of gaming, or any competitive market really, and this is why.

To be fair, the entire industry spends an ass ton of money designing how to best adopt, and retain, a loyal fanbase. People dont give it too much thought, they just wanna play something after a day of work, they dont mind being brainwashed. Kinda sad really.

teezzy

Banned
I always find it funny when people spend a ton of words to dance around what they actually want to say. In this case your postering is as surprising as the rest of the pack.

“I don’t want to buy a PlayStation” is literally all there is to it.

I've owned all all 4 playstation systems. Currently own a psp and ps2. Sold the rest.

I dont hate playstation. I hate the moneyhatting bullshit rampant in the industry, and Sony is more prevalent than most with it.

Drop your condescending reductive schtick.

Metnut

I laugh at people calling Sony anti-consumer. All these folks do is deliver fantastic exclusives to the people who invested in their hardware.

IMO, Microsoft is the real anti-consumer company. It’s truly anti-consumer to have such an embarrassing exclusive portfolio this generation. Also, take a look at the “United States v. Microsoft” case to see blatant anti-consumer business practices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom