• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything Sony does to make PS5 more popular benefits me as a PlayStation consumer

Because, like I said, most people have the “fuck you, got mine” attitude and mindset and will actively go against their best interests in the long term.

It’s still anti consumer.

Well then it's up to the ones affected to make a really big deal about it. Basically they need to boycott the games on their platforms.

You can't expect PS5 owners to defend Xbox Series X owners with something like this.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well then it's up to the ones affected to make a really big deal about it. Basically they need to boycott the games on their platforms.

You can't expect PS5 owners to defend Xbox Series X owners with something like this.
But the people most affected by this won’t be able to boycott the games because they likely aren’t going to get access to the game on their console!!! That’s the whole point! Sony are paying to keep games that were going to be multiplatform off other consoles.

Answer me this - would you think the next COD being moneyhatted by Sony to be 100% exclusive to PS5 is ok?

Who is "the consumer"? The guy buying Xbox and not PS5? It's Sony's job to worry about them.... why?
Literally everyone is a consumer. There’s a difference between a consumer and a customer.

Last edited:
But the people most affected by this won’t be able to boycott the games because they likely aren’t going to get access to the game on their console!!! That’s the whole point! Sony are paying to keep games that were going to be multiplatform off other consoles.

Answer me this - would you think the next COD being moneyhatted by Sony to be 100% exclusive to PS5 is ok?

Literally everyone is a consumer. There’s a difference between a consumer and a customer.

We are talking about timed exclusives here. I haven't read any rumors of Sony securing permanent exclusives.

Developers make these deals because they still expect people to buy the games months after it's been on other platforms. If consumers just refuse to buy them they will think twice before making those deals.

Kind of like what happened with Titanfall.

MrFunSocks

Banned
We are talking about timed exclusives here. I haven't read any rumors of Sony securing permanent exclusives.

Developers make these deals because they still expect people to buy the games months after it's been on other platforms. If consumers just refuse to buy them they will think twice before making those deals.

Kind of like what happened with Titanfall.
What do you think happened with titanfall exactly?

Also this topic isn’t just about timed exclusives. “Everything Sony does”. So Sony paying for full exclusivity of COD is ok apparently and not anti consumer.

Last edited:
What do you think happened with titanfall exactly?

Also this topic isn’t just about timed exclusives. “Everything Sony does”. So Sony paying for full exclusivity of COD is ok apparently and not anti consumer.

My bad I meant Tomb Raider not Titanfall. Titanfall actually performed worse with the sequel because the publishers released it at the wrong time.

JTCx

3QGU.gif

93xfan

Banned
What is the best performing system, remind me again ?

LWdSlJs.png

Xbox. Cherry picking won’t change that.

As for the OP, I don’t disagree, but I do wish Sony cared about BC like they do exclusives. Imagine them putting all that money towards even PS1 and PS2 BC. I’d probably sell my PS3 and get a PS5.

MrFunSocks

Banned
My bad I meant Tomb Raider not Titanfall. Titanfall actually performed worse with the sequel because the publishers released it at the wrong time.
It was also a worse game. I could write a thesis on what they did wrong with titanfall 2 that killed it before it even released haha. And then they kept ruining it post release.

I put well over a thousand hours into titanfall, could barely manage 250 on titanfall 2.

Numenorean

I think that these actions from Sony are not anticonsumer. In fact are just business, and they are only attracting new costumers to their ecosistem.

there is no such thing called anticonsumer i the gaming industry because neither Sony,MS or Ninty are a monopoly.

I love that Sony give their costumers more features and at the same time attracts new gamers. The same goes for MS and Ninty. At the end everyone is going to play the game.

I dont know how Nintendo gamers feels when new games are released just for Xbox and PS, is that anticonsumer?

Vawn

Banned

Exactly. So why should Sony be the ones worrying about Xbox's customer satisfaction?

Um... yes?

Microsoft is "moneyhatting" The Medium on Xbox Series X. Is that not ok? The only reason neither wouldnt do the same for a game like Call of Duty or GTA is the sheer amount of money it would take.

Last edited:

Pallas

I was excited to open the thread in hopes of reading a detailed explanation but when I saw the username and then the tag, I laughed then sighed, war never changes.

MrFunSocks

Banned
And sony is trying to reach the people wanting to buy an xbox by showing them "hey, we got this over here. Take a look" thats called business.
Anti consumer by definition is putting the interests of the business over the interests of the consumer. What you just said is anti consumer.

Exactly. So why should Sony be the ones worrying about Xbox's customer satisfaction?

Um... yes?

Microsoft is "moneyhatting" The Medium on Xbox Series X. Is that not ok? The only reason neither wouldnt do the same for a game like Call of Duty or GTA is the sheer amount of money it would take.
No, it’s not ok lol. I never said it is. It’s anti consumer too.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
Anti consumer by definition is putting the interests of the business over the interests of the consumer. What you just said is anti consumer.

No, it’s not ok lol. I never said it is. It’s anti consumer too.
They are putting their customers/consumers first the ones that buy into their product, their system, their brand or who are on the fence. Is it anti consumer for me to pay first class on a flight and think about the plebs in coach? I got mine, im good. MS could learn a thing or two and tech they have console launch exclusives but it seems their list may not measure up to what sony has coming.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Ok, then business is just anti-consumer by your definition. Literally, every business on the planet is anti-consumer.
Not at all true. Many things businesses do are pro consumer. Backwards compatibility is pro consumer. Allowing you to use generic accessories is pro consumer. Cross platform Play is pro consumer. Things like that benefit the business and the consumer.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Thus far, none of the stuff Sony has paid for has nudged me into PS5 day one. I don't care about Spider Man being in The Avengers because I don't want to play as Spider Man in The Avengers at all so for me, Avengers is still day one on Series X. I'm far more concerned about their long term plans and post launch support than anything else.

Timed exclusives like Project Athia is probably five years away since it's Square Enix so an extra year wouldn't make a difference for me. Godfall looks good but not great so I can easily wait a year for it to come on Series X plus I can let all the PS5 players who buy the game test it out for me before even spending my money and wasting my time on the game. Kena is probably the most intriguing game out of these three but I see it as a perfect Game Pass title so if I can play it a year later for $10, that will be awesome!!!

As for rumors for FFXVI, I don't give a flying fuck about the series/franchise so hell, Microsoft could pay for it to be a full Xbox only exclusive, I still don't give a fuck about it. Any game that I do end up wanting to play that's a timed exclusive, I'll just wait for the timed exclusivity to end and play it on Series X when it releases.

Only full exclusives for games that I actually want to play would make me want to buy a PS5 sooner rather than later.

Vawn

Banned
Not at all true. Many things businesses do are pro consumer. Backwards compatibility is pro consumer. Allowing you to use generic accessories is pro consumer. Cross platform Play is pro consumer. Things like that benefit the business and the consumer.

Consumers don't like paying for stuff. Businesses charge money. Anti-consumer!!!

MrFunSocks

Banned
Consumers don't like paying for stuff. Businesses charge money. Anti-consumer!!!
Ok so now you’re resorting to the ridiculous. I’m out.

one last question though - do you believe that there is no such thing as anti consumer behaviour?

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
Mcdonalds is anti consumer because they wont let me buy a big mac at burger king

Last edited:
Seems like a simple solution.. buy both boxes, enjoy what they both have to offer. They are just game systems.. if you need to use them as some sort of validation... Well, you're a dork.

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
  • The more PS are sold, the more money is thrown at R&D thus bringing more “next gen” features in their consoles.

• The more PS are sold developers are more akin to focus their development more to the main competidor with all the features the console has.
Good points. Easy of development + the most populal console will make the PS5 version the main one, which means better optimisation.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Only if consumers dont have choice to change the service provider aka Monopoly. The gaming scene is far from having a monopoly
In AAA it is inches away from a Sony monopoly. PC is not going to compete versus Sony lol. Console gamers subsidize PC gamers. El-cheapo lord gabe won't open up the studios to compete versus Sony lol. It is funny and ironic these publishers might get some extra cash now. But come 5 years when sony jacks up the ecosystem fee to 50% because Microsoft is gone ill be laughing at them. There is no magical company who will take Microsoft's place. No one is going to spend billions to get in a game both Microsoft and Nintendo got ran out of lol.

Numenorean

In AAA it is inches away from a Sony monopoly. PC is not going to compete versus Sony lol. Console gamers subsidize PC gamers. El-cheapo lord gabe won't open up the studios to compete versus Sony lol. It is funny and ironic these publishers might get some extra cash now. But come 5 years when sony jacks up the ecosystem fee to 50% because Microsoft is gone ill be laughing at them. There is no magical company who will take Microsoft's place. No one is going to spend billions to get in a game both Microsoft and Nintendo got ran out of lol.
Like I said, is far from monopoly because every other console maker has the resources to compete against Sony, the choose no to. MS has all the money power to buy many AAA exclusivities, then choose not to because their planification and management. its called a Monopoly when the competitors to top business are not able to invest because those are short of resources which must be verified and validated by a proper government department.

Nah. It's more like some people are hypocrites....complaining games aren't going to their system....their system that has the exclusives they want to play.

Guess Nintendo need to release BOTW2 on XBOX and PS now if we use your logic.

You're comparing first party to third party. Don't add up.

Shmunter

You’re not wrong. The risk is there.

dwish

Yeah, no. If Sony is wasting money moneyhatting on timed exclusives, they arent investing in their first party studios. Plain and simple. Days Gone, Horizon, GoW, and Ghost took 5-6 years to make because these studios simply arent big enough. Especially Sucker Punch and Sony Bend.
Its not all about being big enough. There's a very well known , well respected book, about the software industry, called 'The Mythical Man Month'. A soup is not better by throwing more chefs at it. A baby is not born faster by more pregnant women. Etc etc

I have a feeling that this "most powerful console rhetoric" with the best multiplats hype is going to bite alot of persons in the ass come faceoff day........I hope we don't hear too many lazy devs comments and I hope Leadbetter does not get an aneurysm, and get to lecture devs like Square and others once again...

You’ll do like you always do. Create a thread the moment anything runs better on PS5 and then conveniently ignore the others that don’t or you’ll bitch about DF.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You’re not wrong. The risk is there.
Risk i say 95% at this point if COD or gta 6 is exclusive. Even if it is lesser games it is at least a 80% chance. This is Microsoft's last effort to make it work. If it is worse than last time which is looking likely then the plug will be pulled. Between the sony mindshare and microsoft missteps it is going to be bad. It's to bad phil did not get the money to buy studios 2 years sooner but hey if my aunt had balls she be my uncle as they say. I do laugh at Jack spending on needless timed exclusives when he had 70% market share wrapped up. Invest that in new teams or studios.

S0ULZB0URNE

It's not about why Sony should care.

Good grief.. this forum lol

You all just need a basic lesson on monopolies and how they work out for consumers in the long run. The Sony we see today exists because of healthy competition, you remove that and things change. Will they stop producing software for profit? Of course not.. but anything they would be driven to do to compete in a market becomes lessened.. their decisions about hardware, the services they offer, and things like niche games they make to differentiate themselves change and they can just focus on maximizing profit as consumers have no other choice.

So yes, companies making money can be good for consumers.. so can healthy competition. Nobody in their right mind is demanding SONY care.. but gamers should care.

They should want companies to compete by producing better products to vie for our dollars.. not "YAY THIS COMPANY JUST PAID TO MAKE THE OTHER PRODUCT WORSE... YAY!! GO COMPANY!"

(in before "Microsoft does it too!" of course they do, these anti-competitive practices suck all around, doesn't matter who does it)
tenor.gif

iamvin22

Industry Verified
4. Sony gets away with anti consumerism, and people love it.
5. When Sony kills off Microsoft and Nintendo runs their own weird show, they have monopoly and can give us even worse anti consumer practice. Yay.

Monopoly is never a good thing. Competition pushes the industry, and sadly, Sony hasn't had any competition this entire generation.

and that's sonys fault?!?

how about box gamers demand better from ms?

Eanox

ITT: Sony fanboys that don’t understand what anti-consumer actually means.

Do you even know what a consumer is?

The consumer is an individual who pays some amount of money for the thing required to consume goods and services.

A customer is an individual or business that purchases another company's goods or services.
Customer and consumer are the same.

What Sony is doing is pro-consumer on their consumer. They paid money for the best version or added version to be better or different. It’s MS job or Phil‘s to cater to their consumer not Sony.
Sony doesn’t have the responsibility to please the MS crowd. Why would they? Did you buy PS4 and PS plus? Why would they care what Xbox crowd thinks?

See this what you called win-win.
i buy PS4 version I have better version.
there’s an incentive to buy the PS4 over others.

these are anti-consumer.
Paying online fee to a free online game.
PS3’s online pass.
Region locking your games.
No refund on PSN.
DRM shit that Xbone introduce. Needs to be online.
Loot boxes.
Pay-to-win
expensive DLC passes.
RROD 360.

You want me to keep going?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Do you even know what a consumer is?

The consumer is an individual who pays some amount of money for the thing required to consume goods and services.

A customer is an individual or business that purchases another company's goods or services.
Customer and consumer are the same.

What Sony is doing is pro-consumer on their consumer. They paid money for the best version or added version to be better or different. It’s MS job or Phil‘s to cater to their consumer not Sony.
Sony doesn’t have the responsibility to please the MS crowd. Why would they? Did you buy PS4 and PS plus? Why would they care what Xbox crowd thinks?

See this what you called win-win.
i buy PS4 version I have better version.
there’s an incentive to buy the PS4 over others.

these are anti-consumer.
Paying online fee to a free online game.
PS3’s online pass.
Region locking your games.
No refund on PSN.
DRM shit that Xbone introduce. Needs to be online.
Loot boxes.
Pay-to-win
expensive DLC passes.
RROD 360.

You want me to keep going?
Sony paying to keep otherwise Multiplatform games off other consoles is anti consumer. You have to be so deep in the fanboy mindset to argue it isn’t.

also lol at you thinking the RROD is anti consumer lol. Shows where your mind is at.

Last edited:
The playstation division has a budget you realize. Money doesn't just fall out of the sky. So unless you can't think of a single better way for Sony to invest their capital, then yes... its bad for playstation gamers.

Microsoft and Sony wasting money on trying to sabotage each other's platforms instead of investing in their own is bad for all gamers.

Top Bottom