• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything Sony does to make PS5 more popular benefits me as a PlayStation consumer

But what if you had both consoles and wanted to play a game on the most powerful system 🤔

Look, I brought a message from someone for the ''Most Powerful System''

tenor.gif

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So, with the latest news (SM exclusive character in Avengers, more timed-exclusive big games), i read a lot of stupid takes like how does this benefits you, as a playstation consumer. Let me explain it.
Everything Sony does to make PS5 more popular benefits me as a PlayStation consumer. These are the benefits:
1. More people buy PS5, more people play online, so the multiplayer player base grows bigger.
2. More consoles sold, less chance that a game will not release on PS5 (everyone wants a piece of pie from that big playstation base).
3. More money Sony earns, more money they are willing to spend to create exclusive games, or even buy more studios.
There are other pluses i am sure i missed, feel free to write them in comments.

4. Sony gets away with anti consumerism, and people love it.
5. When Sony kills off Microsoft and Nintendo runs their own weird show, they have monopoly and can give us even worse anti consumer practice. Yay.

Monopoly is never a good thing. Competition pushes the industry, and sadly, Sony hasn't had any competition this entire generation.

I don't like the idea of taking content away from people on other platforms but as someone who primarily plays on PlayStation it's hard to say that it's impacting me negatively in any way.

Tomeru

Look. I get it. Exclusives are good for Sony. But that Spider-Man deal is just plain stupid, because it also hurts PS customers. How do I know that?

Because of similarly stupid deal in Destiny. In this series, Bungie gave Sony one exclusive strike one exclusive weapon and PvP map per year (and some other shit). But because it was multiplatform game, all of that shit was worthless, because Bungie never made exclusive strike as nighfall, never put Trials on exclusive PvP map and never sold exclusive weapon through Xur.

And it will be same with Spiderman in Avengers. Instead of him being important character, he is thrown aside as useless and he will be useless forever. Square will grab a money, Sony will jack off and Spidey will be forgotten forever, as usual in these kind of deals.

So, Sony gimped Spiderman in Avengers just so their fanboys can scream how great they are. Which is more then sad.

Dude sony had Hawkmoon, one of the best weapons in gaming history.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The question is, would console gaming be better off if someone else than MS was the third major player.

I think so.
Definitely would have been better off with Microsoft making better decisions since the 360 gen for sure.

So in that case, I don't disagree. I'm not some Xbox fanboy, far from it.

4. Sony gets away with anti consumerism, and people love it.
5. When Sony kills off Microsoft and Nintendo runs their own weird show, they have monopoly and can give us even worse anti consumer practice. Yay.

Monopoly is never a good thing. Competition pushes the industry, and sadly, Sony hasn't had any competition this entire generation.

Oh shut up, not happening. Sony has had massive competition from PC, Switch and mobile, just because your fave company has thrown the last year of this gen down the drain doesn't mean they've not had any competition.

Added to that, in this supposed (fantasy) scenario where PS hasn't had any competition this gen, they've produced better exclusives than they did when they were going tooth and nail with MS last gen. So how does that work for your theory?

Also, a monopoly isn't one company selling 110m whilst two others sell 60m each.

tillbot8

Banned
It's why we need Microsoft strong! I'm a PS fan but hope that Xbox succeeds because we all win! It's why console warring potentially hurts the very people who go to war for their team. So I say GO XBOX GO! Keep Sony on their toes and give the consumer offers they can't refuse!

So, with the latest news (SM exclusive character in Avengers, more timed-exclusive big games), i read a lot of stupid takes like how does this benefits you, as a playstation consumer. Let me explain it.
Everything Sony does to make PS5 more popular benefits me as a PlayStation consumer. These are the benefits:
1. More people buy PS5, more people play online, so the multiplayer player base grows bigger.
2. More consoles sold, less chance that a game will not release on PS5 (everyone wants a piece of pie from that big playstation base).
3. More money Sony earns, more money they are willing to spend to create exclusive games, or even buy more studios.
1. This is an Avengers game releasing on all platforms, and the platform you are hungrily swallowing shaft for is the market leader. Lack of multiplayer base was never going to be an issue.
2. The platform you are gobbling corporate chode for is the clear market leader, locking a single character to a single platform would have such a slight affect on moving the consoles-sold needle that it’s not worth mentioning. The only people I see praising it are people who were very clearly going to purchase a PS5 already.
3. There isn’t really any proof of this, though. They could just as easily spend more money on more moneyhats (and rumours are that’s exactly what they’ve done).
In conclusion, based on this post and your post history, your throat is a metro tunnel for the Sony express and you’re down there so often there’s a permanent imprint of your face on Sony’s stomach. You are either very gullible to marketing or wilfully ignorant and in either case, I feel sorry for you.

Good day.

Varteras

Gold Member
Oh shut up, not happening. Sony has had massive competition from PC, Switch and mobile, just because your fave company has thrown the last year of this gen down the drain doesn't mean they've not had any competition.

Added to that, in this supposed (fantasy) scenario where PS hasn't had any competition this gen, they've produced better exclusives than they did when they were going tooth and nail with MS last gen. So how does that work for your theory?

Also, a monopoly isn't one company selling 110m whilst two others sell 60m each.

I really have to laugh at the people who keep trying to run with the "we're just trying to avoid a monopoly" narrative as if they actually care and being intentionally ignorant to the history of the industry. As if Nintendo didn't utterly dominate the 3rd generation while having to fight with Sega in the 4th before being crushed in both the 5th and 6th while Sony took over. This was all followed by the 7th generation which was the first time you had three very successful consoles in one generation. It was also where Sony got arrogant and took the beating they deserved. Even though they bounced back.

Then we see this generation where Microsoft got stupid and cocky and now we see the well documented result of that. This industry has always been very unforgiving to any company that mistreats its consumers and there has always been another just waiting to take advantage of that. The fate of the industry has not been and will never be dependent on the fate of Microsoft. They could exit the hardware scene tomorrow and the industry will be just fine. If Sony tries to take that as their cue to do and charge whatever they wish then they'll face the same problem that happens to every company that pulls that. Another will come along and put them in their place.

That could be Nintendo. It could be Amazon or Google. It could be Bethesda or EA or some company we never thought of. But time and again this industry has proven that every king will be tested at some point and another king is never far from taking the throne.

MrS

Banned
It's a winning approach. As somebody who will own a PS5 on launch day, I'm pleased they're going down this route. They really do everything they can to add value to the console.

Antitype

I don't see how it benefits you in any way unless you're a fanboy doing list wars. You're going to get the games you would get anyway and when MS will retaliate (as they definitely will, they have very deep pockets) you're going to have to wait, or miss out, or be forced to buy another box that's ultimately the same thing as your current box, just with a different logo.

Those (timed) exclusives add no value, they only substract some from the competition. I rather they spend some of that money developing a first party JRPG for example rather than moneyhat FFXVI (assuming they do).

There's a lot of childish chest thumping in this thread. If you want to be the lame kid that takes his ball and goes home so no one else can play then that's fine I guess.

Numenorean

• The more PS are sold, the more money is thrown at R&D thus bringing more “next gen” features in their consoles.

• The more PS are sold developers are more akin to focus their development more to the main competidor with all the features the console has.

Because nobody is that stupid to produce big content pieces, that plenty of players wont be able to enjoy, when they in same time can produce a content that all players can enjoy.

I mean, it's not that hard to understand...

Companies produce content all the time that most players can't play. It's called expansions, DLC, etc. The only difference in this case is Sony is footing the bill for that content instead of players.

DavidGzz

Sony is bringing out all the stops this cycle.

It's only going to get harder and harder not to choose them as your primary console this generation

It still needs to be the most powerful for me to use it as my primary. There are way more games that will be multiplatform. I'll get games like Avengers and the Naughty Dog games but nothing else unless there is some secret sauce. Besides, Game Pass ensures more time on PC and Xbox.

Vol5

There's a lot of childish chest thumping in this thread. If you want to be the lame kid that takes his ball and goes home so no one else can play then that's fine I guess.

Nah. It's more like some people are hypocrites....complaining games aren't going to their system....their system that has the exclusives they want to play.

Guess Nintendo need to release BOTW2 on XBOX and PS now if we use your logic.

thelastword

Banned
Well, sure that works if you are a huge PlayStation fanboy and don't care about them spending money on timed exclusives or your fellow gamers Series Xses not getting game.

But what if you had both consoles and wanted to play a game on the most powerful system 🤔
I have a feeling that this "most powerful console rhetoric" with the best multiplats hype is going to bite alot of persons in the ass come faceoff day........I hope we don't hear too many lazy devs comments and I hope Leadbetter does not get an aneurysm, and get to lecture devs like Square and others once again...

Codes 208

The most powerful system myth will end in November by Digital Foundary. Trust my words.
I mean, 12tf is still higher than 10tf so that part isn’t a myth.

It’s just that a 20% increase isn’t going to make 1440p vs 4k level of differences like some people seem to think.

DeepSpace5D

Except that they are not. Sony Bend and Sucker Punch are a great example. These studios were simply too small to create large open world games and thats why it took them 6 years instead of 3.

I think it’s worth pointing out though that both Bend and Sucker Punch tried their hand at making a new IP for their last game, and that can definitely play a factor in development time. Sucker Punch are quite experienced with open-world game development, I doubt it would have taken 6 years to make an Infamous sequel. What Sony Bend did was also pretty impressive going from primarily a Vita developer that generation to a very ambitious open world game on PS4.

UPDATE FROM IMRAN HIMSELF

I don't like to come into threads where I am the subject because people are usually not polite and any appearance leads to 30 notifications asking "Where's the details, tho?"

But yes. Echoing what Matt said. There isn't a major third party out there Sony failed to approach asking what kind of deals they could work out. Some had content, some had games, some had content and games. It is not like Microsoft was not willing to offer, they just didn't want to pay the asking price, because Sony approached with pretty high numbers in the first place.

That "PlayStation Advantage" branding and "Console Exclusive" wording are both going to get a lot of use in the next few years.

Last edited:

RCU005

There is NOTHING wrong about timed-exclusivity! I've said many times, the only time it IS wrong, is when a game comes to a certain console, but the following sequels don't. This is anti-consumer, because you tell people to invest in a console to play a game, they invest time playing it, but they can't continue the series because the publisher decided to make it exclusive to another console. THAT is anti-consumer.

Having your new game exclusive to a console for a certain time, it is NOT anti-consumer. It is strategy.

Also, are you forgetting that Microsoft announced 22 (TWENTY TWO) games that are timed-exclusive to Xbox? Those don't count? So, having Spider-man being exclusive to PlayStation is the end of the world, but 22 timed-exclusive games for Xbox is fine?

The complaining is absurd. You choose your console based on the games you like. Of course NOT ALL games will be on you console of choice. Whether they are first or third party, you have to choose which one to play. You can like 99% of PS games, but there can be a game (first or third party) for Xbox, and you would need to decide whether buy an Xbox to play it, or just don't play it because you have a PS5.

In everything you buy you have to make that choice. If you buy a refrigerator, you have to choose between a cool feature that only LG has, or the better space Samsung has. You can't demand LG to have the same space as Samsung, and you can't demand Samsung to have the same feature as LG.

It doesn't matter if they are third party or first party. Companies make a choice who to work for. Whether for money, install base, marketing, or whatnot. It's their strategy and they are free to do it. If you think one console will benefit more from those deals, buy that console. If you don't like that console, then you can't complain, because is not like someone is putting a gun to your head to buy one console or the other (If you are an Xbox fan, no one will kill you for choosing PS instead, for example).

MrFunSocks

Banned
They do it's just that these deals are not anti consumer for them.

Also knock off the console warring.
This thread is filled with console warring. Anyone saying this is great and that Sony should be applauded or they’re doing good is console warring.

If it is anti consumer against *anyone* then it’s anti consumer. It doesn’t matter if it’s good for Sony console owners, it’s anti consumer against everyone that was going to buy the game elsewhere.

This forum went apeshit over the Xbox timed exclusivity for tomb raider. Now timed exclusivity or even full exclusivity of previously Multiplatform games is being applauded. It’s ridiculous how blatant the bias is.

Last edited:
This thread is filled with console warring. Anyone saying this is great and that Sony should be applauded or they’re doing good is console warring.

If it is anti consumer against *anyone* then it’s anti consumer. It doesn’t matter if it’s good for Sony console owners, it’s anti consumer against everyone that was going to buy the game elsewhere.

Well to be honest Sony isn't going to care about consumers on Xbox just like Microsoft isn't going to care about consumers on PlayStation.

If you see console warring just report it. If you want we can bring a mods attention to this thread if you think it's that bad.

wipeout364

Sony has to go all in, if they fail they are done. If google or MS struggle big deal just a line on their annual statement. Google and Microsoft are all set for the move to cloud gaming with their massive investment in server farms; which although I am not a fan of is the endgame. What will Sony do when your console is an app on your LG TV? Go bankrupt most likely, although the Japanese Central bank will bail them out like all the other zombie corps in Japan.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well to be honest Sony isn't going to care about consumers on Xbox just like Microsoft isn't going to care about consumers on PlayStation.

If you see console warring just report it. If you want we can bring a mods attention to this thread if you think it's that bad.
I don’t expect Sony to care about being anti consumer because the definition of anti consumer is to act in a businesses interests over those of the consumers. Sony are a business.

What I do expect is for the consumers to not applaud blatant anti consumer acts by the businesses, like this thread is showing.

I don’t expect Sony to care about being anti consumer because the definition of anti consumer is to act in a businesses interests over those of the consumers. Sony are a business.

What I do expect is for the consumers to not applaud blatant anti consumer acts by the businesses, like this thread is showing.

You mean the consumers affected negatively by these deals. Because as long as they are getting the content they are not going to care about the others.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You mean the consumers affected negatively by these deals. Because as long as they are getting the content they are not going to care about the others.
Everyone should be against these deals. Every. Single. Consumer. Even those that it benefits *now*, because encouraging and applauding this behaviour means that more companies will do it and then those who benefit from this will be negatively affected by other deals.

Then again, the biggest thing that I’ve realised from this pandemic is just how little the overwhelmingly large majority of the population thinks about anyone but themselves in the right now. Future them? Don’t care. Anyone else right now? Don’t care.

Everyone should be against these deals. Every. Single. Consumer. Even those that it benefits *now*, because encouraging and applauding this behaviour means that more companies will do it and then those who benefit from this will be negatively affected by other deals.

Then again, the biggest thing that I’ve realised from this pandemic is just how little the overwhelmingly large majority of the population thinks about anyone but themselves in the right now. Future them? Don’t care. Anyone else right now? Don’t care.

And what would you suggest people do boycott the PS5?

MrFunSocks

Banned
And what would you suggest people do boycott the PS5?
Make it known that they are against this practice, in forums like this, on social media, etc, and yes, boycotting any exclusive dlc and even games or at least buy them second hand. Don’t reward the company for doing something anti consumer.

Remember the whole #PS4NoDRM thing?

Except that they are not. Sony Bend and Sucker Punch are a great example. These studios were simply too small to create large open world games and thats why it took them 6 years instead of 3.

Days Gone was in full production for 4 years wich is actually pretty good for a small studio like them before that they were working on a SF IP that didn't work out and it's the same thing for Sucker Punch after Infamous, they were working on something else before they choose to finally go with Ghost of Tsushima.

Make it known that they are against this practice, in forums like this, on social media, etc, and yes, boycotting any exclusive dlc and even games or at least buy them second hand. Don’t reward the company for doing something anti consumer.

Remember the whole #PS4NoDRM thing?

Actually it was the low pre-order numbers that made Microsoft do a 180 on that policy. The #PS4NoDRM was just people worried that Sony might have the same policy. Fortunately they released a video to inform people that they didn't have it.

Although I do admit the video was a pretty nasty jab at the competition.

The only way this is going to work is if consumers boycott the PS5 which isn't going to happen.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Actually it was the low pre-order numbers that made Microsoft do a 180 on that policy. The #PS4NoDRM was just people worried that Sony might have the same policy. Fortunately they released a video to inform people that they didn't have it.

Although I do admit the video was a pretty nasty jab at the competition.

The only way this is going to work is if consumers boycott the PS5 which isn't going to happen.
Because, like I said, most people have the “fuck you, got mine” attitude and mindset and will actively go against their best interests in the long term.

It’s still anti consumer.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The idea that Sony should be concerned with the feelings of a Xbox gamer is amazing.

Some people batshit that’s all.
it just sets a bad precedent. I can promise you Phil will go out there and empty his pockets for a big AAA exclusive from ubisoft or EA. how would that be good for sony gamers?

this kind of tit for tat moneyhatting is never good for gamers.

Top Bottom