• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything I hope comes to MiSTer FPGA in the future; GAF...what do you want on FPGA

VGEsoterica

To say that the FPGA renaissance is upon us would be an understatement. The technology has 100% taken retro gaming by storm and the train keeps trucking along delivering more and more fun!

Just yesterday we got word that N64 should be possible on MiSTer FPGA...meaning that the entire 32 bit generation will be available on MiSTer, fully recreated in FPGA logic, for all to enjoy!

But just because PS1/Saturn/N64 will be/are a thing doesn't mean that there isnt a TON more that COULD be on FPGA. So I started thinking what I would want to see in a perfect world. Just examples of hardware that I know would be feasible within the constraints of the FPGA logic itself on MiSTer. Because for every PS1 there is a Taito F3 and for every Sega Saturn there is a 3DO.

Tons of arcade stuff too that would work that I would love to see in the future.

But GAF...whats your moonshot "I would love to have X" game or platform for FPGA? Could be a one off arcade board, could be a console, could be a computer...really anything. As I'd be curious what you would get in a perfect world and I always love knowing who out there is gaming on FPGA these days

bodine1231

Easy, IGS PGM1 and 2. So many great Cave games (Espgaluda,Ketsui,Daioujo) on that system as well as obscure beat 'em ups (Knghts of Valor) and a killer metal slug clone (Demon Front). It's basically a Neo Geo 2.

Jotego was going to do this one but he chose the CPS3 board instead, I think that was a mistake, there are many ways to play Third Strike online so having an offline version is kinda pointless. There are a ton of great games on this system that are hard to play on a crt that need some love.

VGEsoterica

Easy, IGS PGM1 and 2. So many great Cave games (Espgaluda,Ketsui,Daioujo) on that system as well as obscure beat 'em ups (Knghts of Valor) and a killer metal slug clone (Demon Front). It's basically a Neo Geo 2.

Jotego was going to do this one but he chose the CPS3 board instead, I think that was a mistake, there are many ways to play Third Strike online so having an offline version is kinda pointless. There are a ton of great games on this system that are hard to play on a crt that need some love.
It was voted on by the people who support him on patreon. Can’t blame him for letting it be a democratic process :)

calistan

Is playing on FPGA really a fundamental difference? I mean, when you’ve got it plugged into a modern monitor, probably with some sort of all purpose controller, it must be hard to tell the difference between that and an emulator.

Actual hardware is the ideal, but FPGA and emulation are effectively both replications of that via software.

VGEsoterica

Is playing on FPGA really a fundamental difference? I mean, when you’ve got it plugged into a modern monitor, probably with some sort of all purpose controller, it must be hard to tell the difference between that and an emulator.

Actual hardware is the ideal, but FPGA and emulation are effectively both replications of that via software.
On a modern monitor there is def a difference between FPGA and software emulation in the lag department. One of FPGAs best features.

On CRT TVs using MiSTer is plug and play with the analog IO board. Getting a modern pc to send a 240p signal…so much harder

Top Bottom