• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything Everywhere All At Once | Michelle Yeoh enter a very different kind of Multiverse

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The mind-blowing first trailer for A24's Everything Everywhere All At Once is here and the least we can say is it looks quite interesting and special.

The latest project from co-directors Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, or 'The Daniels' (Swiss Army Man), follow the story of "an ageing Chinese immigrant who is swept up in an insane adventure, where she alone can save the world by exploring other universes connecting with the lives she could have led.”
The trailer promises A24's usual offbeat style along with some laughs and sci-fi/horror-tinged thrills.

Everything Everywhere All At Once is set to have its world premiere at the South By Southwest Festival on March 11 before releasing in theaters on March 25.

Note by me: if you haven't seen Swiss Army Man, it is a strange but very cool movie. It's an experience in many ways but I loved it and if you are the kind of people that like what a24 is doing, you should definitively give it a watch.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Looks great... but I'm already sick of the word and concept "multiverse".

Last edited:

xandaca

I'm down for Michelle Yeoh doing martial arts again, although the brief snippet in the trailer looked almost certainly to be a stunt double and everything else seemed more of a comedy. As for Pagusas above, the word 'multiverse' is also an immediate turn-off. I like supporting original films and A24 have put out some good stuff - I thought The Green Knight was fantastic - but unless reviews come in suggesting this is Yeoh back in proper martial artist mode (which she's probably too old for, but hey, she's the same age as Tom Cruise and he's still trucking along), I'm out.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm down for Michelle Yeoh doing martial arts again, although the brief snippet in the trailer looked almost certainly to be a stunt double and everything else seemed more of a comedy. As for Pagusas above, the word 'multiverse' is also an immediate turn-off. I like supporting original films and A24 have put out some good stuff - I thought The Green Knight was fantastic - but unless reviews come in suggesting this is Yeoh back in proper martial artist mode (which she's probably too old for, but hey, she's the same age as Tom Cruise and he's still trucking along), I'm out.

So you didn't see Shang-Chi, then? Because she was serving that martial arts knuckle sandwich!

kunonabi

I can live without her doing a ton of action as long as she's given a lot more to do other than just being the old Asian lady equivalent of Morgan Freeman. She deserves much better than that.

xandaca

So you didn't see Shang-Chi, then? Because she was serving that martial arts knuckle sandwich!
Oh, forget about that (which doesn't surprise me, because outside Tony Leung, it's a film I'd very easily describe as 'forgettable'). She's barely in it, though.

Tuff McNutt

Michelle hasn't done martial arts/stunts without a double and/or heavily wire/CGI assisted since the mid 90s when she badly injured her back filming Ah Kam - ironically a film about a stuntwoman - and of course Hong Kong producers being the carnies that they are the footage of her botched stunt and injury were left in the film and then shown several times in the end credit out-takes.

Watched this last night. Wife surprised me with tickets because she heard good things, and boy were those people right. What a wonderfully weird film! I had no idea what to expect and was blown away almost every step of the way. This writer/director duo is a force to be reckoned with. I haven't seen Swiss Army Man as I heard it's extremely weird as well, but now that I'm familiar with their brand of weirdness, I'm on board to watch it later today.

Also, my mind was absolutely BLOWN when I realized the male lead in this film is none other than SHORT ROUND

Talk about a comeback for an actor! Dude is going to be in major demand following this. Also, shout out to James Hong - always love seeing him in a movie.

Last edited:

wondermega

Saw this last night. Girlfriend loved it, I thought it was neat with a lot of technically interesting things going on. I'm a bit surprised to hear crickets on gaf about it, but then I think it may not be this board's kind of film. I'm down for some over the top weird, but on marinating a bit I think it might be a bit forgettable if you are not the target audience. A few decent fight sequences but I wish they went a LOT harder, maybe they just didn't want to push the budget.
Anyone here have thoughts? Should I check out Swiss Army Man?

Doom85

Absolutely loved it. But A24 are the type of films that are definitely not made to appeal to everyone, and this is definitely a shining example of that. For some, they’ll find this film’s insanity too much, but for others I think they can appreciate the method to the madness.

I was surprised my theater had a pretty good turn out (about 30 people) was since I saw it the 2nd weekend it had been out and on a Sunday night to boot. But hey, glad to see people supporting it.

Awesome film, just heard about it shortly before its release, managed to book the one-night-only IMAX premiere and boy was I glad I did. I did not expect the movie to be so wacky and a perfect tribute to those campy adventure movies from the 80s and 90s, but with updated modern visual effects. Totally hilarious mindfuck of a film. lol

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Anyone here have thoughts? Should I check out Swiss Army Man?
I loved Swiss Army Man, but as always with A24 it's clearly not for everyone. Watched it with my girlfriend and she liked it too.
Also, the vocals on the OST are done by Daniel Radcliffe and Paul Dano themselves! Judging by your comment I would definitively recommend you to give it a try.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Watched it last night, easily one of the best movies of the year. Just fantastic.

FunkMiller

See? Even rageclick YT baiters can get me to check out things with their praise everyone once in a while. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Drinker is a weird lad. He has a genuinely good critical head on his shoulders, but gets so bogged down in the culture war shit because of the clicks it gets him, that it kinda fucks any salient points he might have sometimes. I know he's maximising his immediate profits with the baiting stuff, but not really the way to secure yourself a long term career or a decent reputation.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Drinker is a weird lad. He has a genuinely good critical head on his shoulders, but gets so bogged down in the culture war shit because of the clicks it gets him, that it kinda fucks any salient points he might have sometimes. I know he's maximising his immediate profits with the baiting stuff, but not really the way to secure yourself a long term career or a decent reputation.
You're right but also I find it hard to disagree on most of his negative videos that he does... Actually except his thor love and Thunder criticism... Have faith in Taika... He won't make a woke film.

But ya,He is kinda like the Jim sterling of movie reviews at this point. In terms of homing in on a subject and focusing it on it endlessly.

I still like CT though for now.

Alcibiades

Amazing film - this is the type of movie that can blow your mind to no end if you go in blind not knowing what it was gonna be about.

There is nothing like casually interpreting the first few minutes of the film and thinking this is going to be a family drama, maybe something like a raw and less hopeful Joy Luck Club, to then little by little freaking out over this being a sci-fi multiverse film as well.

In a just world, this would be marketed as a drama about a family losing their business and then blow people's expectations out of the water as the reality of what the film is drops one bit at a time.

EDIT: I went in completely blind other than maybe knowing about Yeoh being in it.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

See? Even rageclick YT baiters can get me to check out things with their praise everyone once in a while. :messenger_winking_tongue:

He's the best one out of that group and it's not even close. It's no wonder he's taken off in the last few years. He's even had interviews now with actors and directors.

QSD

This was an amazing movie, I can't really even fathom how the script would read with all the crazy switches toward the end. Just really an all round thumbs up from me, awesome action, humor of every kind, from the absurd and irreverent to some real toilet humor level shenanigans, but also a heartfelt story with some genuine emotional moments, and it's all held together by a great ensemble cast who probably had to work pretty hard to get the right tone.
I mean, the scenes where jamie lee curtis and michelle yeoh have several emotional moments together while having hotdogs for fingers must have been a challenge. BTW my favorite scene was probably the one where they show the hotdog fingered apes 2001 style, complete with botched version of also sprach zarathustra

Anyway, go see it

Edit: It was also nice to see/feel a bit of US/China detente. I do wonder how this will play in China though. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

FunkMiller

What a ridiculous, magnificent fucking movie. An insane, weird race through the multiverse that also happens to be one of the best examinations of human relationships I’ve seen in a long time.

I literally started to fill up at the end of a movie that featured people with hot dogs for fingers.

Last edited:

Konnor

The movie was so fun, it got a little repetitive during the 2nd third of the movie but other than that it was very good. More people need to watch this

This was an amazing movie, I can't really even fathom how the script would read with all the crazy switches toward the end. Just really an all round thumbs up from me, awesome action, humor of every kind, from the absurd and irreverent to some real toilet humor level shenanigans, but also a heartfelt story with some genuine emotional moments, and it's all held together by a great ensemble cast who probably had to work pretty hard to get the right tone.

Anyway, go see it

Edit: It was also nice to see/feel a bit of US/China detente. I do wonder how this will play in China though. :pie_thinking:

When I watched the premiere I noticed a mix in the crowd of more “Westernized” Asians and Asian Asians. Not sure if I am projecting my own biases, but I felt the movie was a bit too weird for the less Westernized Asians. A lot of the jokes and humor, while weren’t deep and philosophical, required an appreciation of Western wackiness and campiness. Lol

mortal

Gold Member
The was a very entertaining watch with some surprisingly well-choreographed action.
Lots of absurd humor, and I think the editors really had fun cutting together this film.
Although one fault is that it went on a bit too long imo.

Last edited:

RaduN

Very good, self aware narrative, with excellent acting and excellent script. One of the best movies in recent memory.
A couple of things could have been maybe handled better:
1 - less 'revelations' moments early on would have made the later revelation moments even more impactful.
2 - dialing back on the absurd early on, would have, again, elevated and keep fresh the later absurdity.
Both were handled better in Kung Fu hustle, which this movie shares similarities with, in terms of tone and style.

The movie acomplishes what it wants to though, highly recommended, but you need attention span stretched to the max for this one.

Hugare

It was really great. Wasn't expecting it to have so many emotional bits.

Her daughter was really great, but the cast as a whole was stellar

My main criticism is that it felt "small".

It took place inside one building and the laundry place 90% of the time.

I know, small budget and all that, but it was very noticeable after a while

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Just got back from the cinema..
For me it’s a 5 out of 5.
I teared up, would of balled like a baby if I didn’t hold back, not gonna lie.
The family dynamic mirrors my own so closely; it’s a film that came at the right point in my life.

I grew up watching these actors and Asian cinema. There is always a richness and genuine/authentic aura to the ones I have seen. The words, dialogue, script, narrative, themes. In less capable hands it would of been pretentious, corny garbage.

jesus christ this film…
people will get different things out of this film, but for me it was therapy.
i would recommend anyone over the age of 15 or so to see it——truly a piece that acknowledges the past, present and human being in all of it.
👁

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Didn't like this at all, it's like a Marvel movie for people that won't watch Marvel movies, but it's just as meaningless. Starts out promising, but then it's the same thing repeated for another 2 hours without much rhyme or reason. Stuff happens because reasons. I'm probably to old for shit like this... which makes the "you have to be over fifteen" remark of the poster above sound really weird to me; I thought it was a childish movie. Really surprised at the high rating of both critics and public.

Michelle Yeoh was amazing especially when considered what she had to work with here.

Used to love most A24 releases but I watched this and The Souvenir over the weekend, and that one was even worse, such an uninteresting drab movie about some extremely annoying characters, highly rated by critics of course.

MHubert

Was very surprised, definitely a movie that deserves to be seen more than once. This has got to be some of the maddest editing that I haven ever seen. A true exercise of the craft. The story kept its punch throughout and actually used the multiverse theme as a proper vehicle instead of using it as a cheap device to inflate bad pacing and pretentious writing (Marvel lol). I would recommend this movie to anyone because of the outstanding craftmanship - and its batshit crazy, so why not.

Based A24 (and directors + cast and crew) for respecting the medium and daring to innovate like this.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This movie was amazing. Better than Dr. Strange, which wasted its potential by needing to appeal to the mass market.

tommib

Really didn’t like it and was falling asleep by the end. It’s too obvious in its “Marvel for the intellectual thinker” gimmick. Jamie Lee Curtis was adorable though and the scenes with the two rocks were good. They should make a full feature with 2 rocks having existential conversations and drop the super-hero virus that has contaminated all cinema genres at this point.

GeekyDad

It was really great. Wasn't expecting it to have so many emotional bits.

Her daughter was really great, but the cast as a whole was stellar

My main criticism is that it felt "small". It took place inside one building and the laundry place 90% of the time.

I know, small budget and all that, but it was very noticeable after a while
Come on, dude. Spoiler quotes, please!

Tieno

Jus saw the movie. It's absolutely amazing. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It hit me really hard, did not expect that, sobbing the entire third part.

"When I Choose To See The Good Side Of Things, I'm Not Being Naive. It Is Strategic And Necessary. It's How I Learned To Survive Through Everything." — Waymond.

Michelle Yo puts on an amazing performance, she glued me in with her acting right away.
Waymond also very sweet character, he had this familiar feeling. Thought he was the Hero guy or Jakie Chan's brother/son or something...then I found out he was actually the kid from Indiana Jones. Damn good actor.

I heard this is the first science fiction movie to win best picture at the Oscars.

Is it really that good? Everything I've seen from it makes it look really goofy with some seriousnes.

I will say it's good to see James Horn (Covetous Shen from Diablo 3) and Short Round (Temple of Doom, Goonies) again. Short Round still sounds like he does when he was a little kid in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom